Shoutbox

Ads - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+----- Thread: Ads (/showthread.php?tid=39302)

Ads by XeYaTan on 02-28-2005 at 01:06 PM

When I today installed Microsoft Anti-Spyware program from microsoft, I as usualy scanned. It told me to delete the messenger plus! because it had an optional spyware, C2Media.exe or LOP.exe the te risk threat: moderate. I know it's only if you accept to install ads but,

What I want to say is why should such a great progam as Plus! make it possible for such spywares to spread? I know that you would say because they give oyu money but still. I am not offensive right now but Patchou or whomever made the layout did it in a sneaky way. Normally when you install they ask if you agree the terms and you press yes and continue (yeah that's what most people do), so you guys simply put it yes I agree to install the ads because you know that most people don't read? Please guys, give me a good answer :S Why couldn't you put a countdown before you could say yes or no, so people would read? (just wondering no offense)

RE: Ads by Mike on 02-28-2005 at 01:11 PM

quote:
Originally posted by XeYaTan
Why couldn't you put a countdown before you could say yes or no, so people would read? (just wondering no offense)

There is actually a countdown on the screen where it says to choose an installetion folder...
But it doesn't last long...
RE: Ads by x2zen on 02-28-2005 at 01:26 PM

quote:
because it had an optional spyware
as you said yourself its optional, and just to make it clear, its adware, and doesnt harm your computer in any way, you can easily uninstall it. But dont use such scanners to uninstall it,
RE: Ads by Hank on 02-28-2005 at 01:35 PM

do a google search an findout what lop.exe is or where it comes from

RE: Ads by XeYaTan on 02-28-2005 at 02:44 PM

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=971

read what's writtent hen you would know what the nasty lop is :). And what I mean is make the countdown 5-10 seconds at least. This LOP.exe or C2Media.exe starts installing all kind of weird ads and can be real annoying.

RE: Ads by x2zen on 02-28-2005 at 02:46 PM

[Image: mp3_sponsor.png]

You see, you have the option to install it or not. I dont think it can get more simple

RE: RE: Ads by XeYaTan on 02-28-2005 at 02:50 PM

quote:
Originally posted by A. Madsen

You see, you have the option to install it or not. I dont think it can get more simple

i know, just not all people do read :S cuz mainly this is a term and conditions where you have to press yes to continue, that's what I mean, so simply making a countdown 5-10 seconds won't hurt, it would just help people.
RE: Ads by x2zen on 02-28-2005 at 02:53 PM

quote:
i know, just not all people do read  cuz mainly this is a term and conditions where you have to press yes to continue, that's what I mean, so simply making a countdown 5-10 seconds won't hurt, it would just help people.
Like Mike2 said, there IS a countdown.

The "Next" button is disabled in like 3 seconds so peoble cant press Next, Next, next.....
RE: RE: RE: Ads by Joa on 02-28-2005 at 02:54 PM

quote:
quote:

i know, just not all people do read :S cuz mainly this is a term and conditions where you have to press yes to continue, that's what I mean, so simply making a countdown 5-10 seconds won't hurt, it would just help people.

if people do not read terms/conditions, and just press yes to continue... than god help them all. and they will have to learn eventually ;) ... i think plus does enough by showing you Very Clearly that you HAVE a choice of installing or not installing the sponsor.
RE: Ads by XeYaTan on 02-28-2005 at 03:01 PM

I understand what you all mean there is already a countdown and all that stuff, but I know many who think that this is an agreement and the Plus! install ads jjust by installing it and therefor have not instaled Plus! :)

RE: Ads by x2zen on 02-28-2005 at 03:10 PM

quote:
I understand what you all mean there is already a countdown and all that stuff, but I know many who think that this is an agreement and the Plus! install ads jjust by installing it and therefor have not instaled Plus! 
Sorry for saying this but persons who actually installs the sponsor and then complaints about it and blaming Plus! etc, should IMO never have been born, now dont go flaming me because the Plus! installer is so userfriendly and is not misleading or whatsoever.

Just my 2 cents
RE: RE: Ads by XeYaTan on 02-28-2005 at 03:11 PM

quote:
quote:
I understand what you all mean there is already a countdown and all that stuff, but I know many who think that this is an agreement and the Plus! install ads jjust by installing it and therefor have not instaled Plus! 
Sorry for saying this but persons who actually installs the sponsor and then complaints about it and blaming Plus! etc, should IMO never have been born, now dont go flaming me because the Plus! installer is so userfriendly and is not misleading or whatsoever.

Just my 2 cents

hey take it easy :S I am just trying to tell you, not bein offensive so relax for a minute ;)
RE: Ads by x2zen on 02-28-2005 at 03:13 PM

quote:
hey take it easy  I am just trying to tell you, not bein offensive so relax for a minute 
??

I wasnt talking directly to you, and I'm not angry. I'm just telling everyone what I think :)
RE: Ads by haydos on 02-28-2005 at 03:16 PM

For there to be no complaints about the installation of the sponser, Patchou would have to put a big sign saying DONT INSTALL SPONSER PROGRAM or something along those lines just to get the message through. I know that would make people stop complaining about the installer but would the company undertaking the sponsership be happy? I don't think so. You also have to think about it on Patchou's side of the story, he has to please the users AND the sponsership company.

RE: Ads by L. Coyote on 02-28-2005 at 04:03 PM

Something to add:

The sponsor from C2Media in Messenger Plus! has been stripped down. It is the lightest version of the sponsor. There is no way it'll harm one's computer.