Shoutbox

Dodgy welcome panel - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: Forum & Website (/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+----- Thread: Dodgy welcome panel (/showthread.php?tid=39358)

Dodgy welcome panel by John Anderton on 03-01-2005 at 02:10 PM

Just see the screenie. I dont think i need to explain :P
Newayz here's the deal. I got a pm. I Started the latest.php directly and saw i had 1 new pm and 1 unread pm. Then i opened it pm box in a new page (Shift+click) and then there it was showing me 0 new and 1 unread pm :S I opened the pm and still it was like that only. At the same time i had opened another thread in the original window and now that too had the dodgy welcome panel :|
How did this happen :S

RE: Dodgy welcome panel by WDZ on 03-01-2005 at 04:12 PM

quote:
Originally posted by John Anderton
At the same time i had opened another thread in the original window and now that too had the dodgy welcome panel
Uhh... every page has the welcome panel... :-/
RE: Dodgy welcome panel by ayjay on 03-01-2005 at 05:22 PM

I always get the dodginess with unread pms and stuff at the top but I'm always just to lazy to go to the effort of doing a screenshot then making a post :P

RE: Dodgy welcome panel by Ahmad on 03-02-2005 at 12:07 AM

Maybe because it was no longer new.. you messages must fall into the old category after a few seconds :P

RE: Dodgy welcome panel by CookieRevised on 03-02-2005 at 12:55 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Ahmad
Maybe because it was no longer new..
indeed

quote:
your messages must fall into the old category after a few seconds :P
not realy though...

A PM is only "new" the first time any page of the forum (which has the panel) is viewed. Quite logical though...
RE: Dodgy welcome panel by Ahmad on 03-02-2005 at 12:57 AM

Mine stays new for a while, even after reading it and closing/opening the window :dodgy:

RE: Dodgy welcome panel by CookieRevised on 03-02-2005 at 01:03 AM

quote:
Mine stays new for a while, even after reading it and closing/opening the window :dodgy:
Hmmm, maybe a local cache "problem" in that case? blah... dunno
RE: Dodgy welcome panel by Chrono on 03-02-2005 at 01:21 AM

quote:
thats a common "problem", it also happens to me :P so i just avoid the "new message" and look at the "unread" one :p
RE: Dodgy welcome panel by SikStyles on 03-02-2005 at 01:56 AM

log out and log in again and see if that helps

RE: Dodgy welcome panel by WDZ on 03-02-2005 at 04:10 AM

The unread number should never act dodgy, as it's just a count of how many PMs are unread. The "new" number can be dodgy though, since it's based on your last visit time. It should only go from 1 or more down to 0 when your last visit time is updated. Some things that can update the time are staying offline for 15 minutes, logging out, or marking all forums as read.

RE: Dodgy welcome panel by jren207 on 03-02-2005 at 10:19 PM

if i get a new pm, it says New X, Unread X (where Xis the number). I read the messages and the unread mail count shrinks when I read them. The new message count is still the same, because the messages are new. After about an hour or so, the new count is 0. It's dodgy that it's the other way round for you ... :S

RE: Dodgy welcome panel by John Anderton on 03-03-2005 at 03:21 PM

I just opened the another thread and opened the pm's in a new page. Usually a pm is new till i log off and back on or the day is over (After 11.59 pm to 12.00 am rite ?)