Shoutbox

Do heaven and hell exist? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: General Chit Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+----- Thread: Do heaven and hell exist? (/showthread.php?tid=39544)

Do heaven and hell exist? by Joa on 03-04-2005 at 09:02 PM

this question was originally asked by ash_ in my 'stupid thread of do we exist or not', so :bow:ash_:bow:

and it is this: what is your opinion on this question, are heaven and hell real?
just state what you think and why.

i know most of you are intelligent to already know this, BUT:

do not discriminate other people's beliefs/theories/faith/religion or lack thereof.

everybody has a different point of view even people who are of the same religion or who are both atheists. everyone is different and views things differently, so NO one is right. -> seriously. (for eg. if i dont believe what you say, even though other people do, it means you are not right 'to me')

there is no real proof for what anybody here says except for what lays in your hearts (A)

you can comment on other people's opinion, but dont try to convert anybody. this is just for discussion and reflection.

and FINALLY i'm interested in everybody's responses. :P

RE: Do heaven and hell exist? by SikStyles on 03-04-2005 at 09:06 PM

its what u believe in...whether its there or not..for some ppl there is and for some ppl there isnt

RE: Do heaven and hell exist? by user27089 on 03-04-2005 at 09:06 PM

there is no real way in telling whether there is a heaven or a hell, but there is no devil, or the depictions aren't correct, as the devil is just a depiction of Pan the greek god, or roman, its in both of theirs history.

I cannot say whether there is a hell or a heaven, but I know that after we die, there is something, our family is very spiritual and we have links with clairvoyents, I'm not talking about stupid stuff like these gypsys, but I'm talking about real everyday people who have gifts, these people can communicate with the spirits of those who have passed away...

RE: Do heaven and hell exist? by M73A on 03-04-2005 at 09:07 PM

hmm i dont think there is an afterlife just for the fact.

you die -> your heart stops -> no blood to your brain -> your brain cant think or function -> you wouldnt be able to think theres a heaven or hell so it dont realy matta imo

RE: Do heaven and hell exist? by SikStyles on 03-04-2005 at 09:11 PM

quote:
Originally posted by may73alliance
hmm i dont think there is an afterlife just for the fact.

you die -> your heart stops -> no blood to your brain -> your brain cant think or function -> you wouldnt be able to think theres a heaven or hell so it dont realy matta imo

yup..if u believe it then it its ur business..like dont think ppl go to heaven or to hell but just 6ft under..so its how u put it
RE: Do heaven and hell exist? by user27089 on 03-04-2005 at 09:11 PM

Hmm, I don't get how you can say that... You're basically saying that we don't have spirits, our bodies are pretty much hosts to our souls, thats our inner-self, and if you die, that inner self is still alive, its just in a different state to those who are 'living', but define living, if you can see, your hearts beating, it doesn't mean that you aren't alive if you die... You go on, and live in the afterlife, I don't want to rattle on, I just want to share my knowledge with others, I've learnt a lot over the past, seen dodgy stuff and heard dodgy things.

RE: Do heaven and hell exist? by M73A on 03-04-2005 at 09:15 PM

what are souls though, wheres the proof they exist. yea theres a lot of 'supernatural' about ghosts and message from beyond the grave etc. but theres no solid evidence. im not a sceptic, but im also not a believer, i just need some harder evidence imo....

there is also the theory that when we die we awaken from this dream (life) ....sorta like the matrix but without giant squids....lol dats ma m8s belief....

RE: Do heaven and hell exist? by Joa on 03-04-2005 at 09:19 PM

quote:
what are souls though, wheres the proof they exist. yea theres a lot of 'supernatural' about ghosts and message from beyond the grave etc. but theres no solid evidence. im not a sceptic, but im also not a believer, i just need some harder evidence imo....

there is also the theory that when we die we awaken from this dream (life) ....sorta like the matrix but without giant squids....lol dats ma m8s belief....

lol, well there is no "solid" proof for anything really. it goes just as far as you take it..

but its interesting to look at life/death from your perspective :) i never thought that way. even if i dont share your belief on this, i still think its interesting to view things from your point of view.
RE: Do heaven and hell exist? by andrey on 03-04-2005 at 09:22 PM

nope, no heaven or hell.
If someone thinks they exist, please point me the way :p
There's no scientific proof that they exist in another place than peoples brains.

And I don't believe in the whole death - afterlife thing, when you're dead, you're dead. Simple as that. People are just afraid of death, that's why they make up stories about a better life after death, simply to comfort them. Same with religions.

Even if I don't believe in these things, I still think the idea, and the fact that these stories have been around for over 2000 years, is pretty interesting.

RE: Do heaven and hell exist? by M73A on 03-04-2005 at 09:23 PM

im like that though, kinda pessimystic tryna find faults in things.... oh well. other peoples thoughts are interesting though from there experiences etc. makes more sense to others than some...

RE: Do heaven and hell exist? by Joa on 03-04-2005 at 09:38 PM

i think that there is a life after death.

i like to look at all religions and kind of summarize what they say, its all the same in the end. no matter what, they all point in the same direction - life after death. so whether it be a human invention to overcome fear of death. or a way/source of control... i think it is still odd that so many people in so many different places all seek to believe in something existing after death.

there is no solid proof, i mean there can never be. (unless you die and you actually see it for yourself)

umm... i dunno, i like to believe that the world had to start somewhere. perhaps it always existed, or maybe something triggered it to start existing... and maybe that something was god :P... and when we die we go back to the source of all existance. it may not be heaven/hell but just maybe something is there.

RE: Do heaven and hell exist? by user27089 on 03-04-2005 at 09:40 PM

its all about science now-a-days isn't it :rolleyes:.

RE: Do heaven and hell exist? by Joa on 03-04-2005 at 09:47 PM

quote:
Originally posted by traxor
its all about science now-a-days isn't it .

i know, whats with "science" i mean what REAL proof is there in science? they keep on changing stuff and cant really explain the source of "matter's" existence. or why its even there.

the only thing that is constant is math :P

EDIT:
Joanna hates math

RE: Do heaven and hell exist? by user27089 on 03-04-2005 at 09:48 PM

tbfh, most of science is pure theory.

RE: Do heaven and hell exist? by saralk on 03-04-2005 at 09:49 PM

i believe that there is an after life, but it can be explained through science.

When you die, you decompose and your nutrients get absorbed into the soil, which in turns feeds the trees, grass and plants, that then get eaten by animals, who die, have their nutrients absorbed into the soil...

RE: Do heaven and hell exist? by Joa on 03-04-2005 at 09:52 PM

quote:
Originally posted by saralk
believe that there is an after life, but it can be explained through science.

When you die, you decompose and your nutrients get absorbed into the soil, which in turns feeds the trees, grass and plants, that then get eaten by animals, who die, have their nutrients absorbed into the soil...

that is SO awesome.. and true in every way

it makes me sort of wonder if life is recycled sort of. maybe we existed always... we just get sort of absorbed and transform into different living forms. and now we are combinations of millions of different forms :o
RE: Do heaven and hell exist? by ~INVASION~ on 03-04-2005 at 09:56 PM

quote:
Originally posted by traxor
its all about science now-a-days isn't it :rolleyes:.

yes it is

and i dont get all these gothic satanic worshipers:S doont theyt know that bye them praising the devil will only make their after life a bagillion times worse. Like the devil isnt their to make ppl worship him, hes their to punish sinners and ppl of wrong doings.

but i dunno if i beleive in all that stuff. science is very powerful, i think us as human beings, us as animals on this world because that is what we are. animals. couldnt deal with the idea of dying because with imagination came horror and fear. Fear that someday we might die, so what do we as imaginative thinking creatures do.... we created an after life because we cannot deal with the plaine and simple fact that we will die. thats it were here we live we die, it happens to alll creatures, and will happen for us.

Now on the other hand think of the human brain, it knows what it is doing 99% of the time it knows whats right, it functions our organs inside our bodies and controls everything we do. If the brain is right 99% of the time, what and who is the first thing or person you call upon when faced with a problem.Ur brain knows to think and say "o my GOD" "please help me GOD" the brain is suppose to know and thats what it it knows, God. Now is that because the brain knows more then we do or is it because we were raised in catholic society.

Now think of it this way if u dont beleive in god and never worship then when u die, u die meh w/e but what if their was heaven and u missed out.

Now if u beleive in god and heaven and praise him what will that do, if u die and theirs nothing w/e ur dead done capoot, but if their is heaven what did u have to lose from beleiving in god, u are now in a wonderful afterlife because u beleived in something others didnt and was rewarded

ive had numerous discussions about this stuff whith many ppl and there is so much different ways to go at it.

in conclusion, Believe in God, what harms it gonna do. U may die and be done or u may live eternally.

wow i just wrote a fricken report i think im gonna use that someday in my ethics class:|
RE: Do heaven and hell exist? by Joa on 03-04-2005 at 10:06 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ~INVASION~
and i dont get all these gothic satanic worshipers doont theyt know that bye them praising the devil will only make their after life a bagillion times worse. Like the devil isnt their to make ppl worship him, hes their to punish sinners and ppl of wrong doings.

i know you didn't mean this in any such way, but just so that nobody interprets this differently. i dont want there to be some fight over this ;)

so - keep in mind that there are MANY variations of satanism. and many different beliefs about them. as well as many different beliefs about who and why god punishes, or even if he exists.

quote:
wow i just wrote a fricken report i think im gonna use that someday in my ethics class
LOL, :) yay my question may have come in use
RE: Do heaven and hell exist? by M73A on 03-04-2005 at 10:07 PM

i like saralk's ideas, its out of the box, lol makes u think *-)

RE: Do heaven and hell exist? by ~INVASION~ on 03-04-2005 at 10:10 PM

yay lets all go out and feed the earth 6000$ cascets!!!!!

when i die i hope i just fall off a tall building to my death, it would be the ride of the life time followed by nothing

RE: Do heaven and hell exist? by Joa on 03-04-2005 at 10:14 PM

quote:
i like saralk's ideas, its out of the box, lol makes u think

i know :D, and i like all of your responses they ALL make you think.

quote:
Ur brain knows to think and say "o my GOD" "please help me GOD" the brain is suppose to know and thats what it it knows, God. Now is that because the brain knows more then we do or is it because we were raised in catholic society.

its a good question... similarly do we chose to believe certain things, because they actually exist? or .. because we are subconciously pulled into believing them by the society. like respect, toleration, lack of it etc. for instance y do we think its wrong to kill? right? (and i'm not being freaky with this, its just a question, stop looking at my siggy)
RE: Do heaven and hell exist? by ~INVASION~ on 03-04-2005 at 10:20 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Z_Joanna_ZZZ
stop looking at my siggy)
:lol: 8-)

ya its ok for animals to kill. were animals, creatures of this world i dont see the wrong in killing:undecided actually it is very wrong because we live in society, and humans are smart enough to know that killing is not the answer.

on the other hand,, im taking dibs on ASH_, ur dead cockboy!:P jk man:refuck:
RE: Do heaven and hell exist? by ProblemWv Authority on 03-04-2005 at 10:26 PM

I don't think that "Heaven" and "Hell" exist i just think they are an easy way to look at things. It in a way diverts the fear of death and at the same time is used to encourage people to live their life in a better way.

When you die their is no after life. The only glimps of what you could call an afterlife is the one at when you brain is still functioning which can go on for a about an hour. Once the brain deteriorates there is nothing to keep you thinking. The soul does not live on as it is in the brain. Your soul is simply the unique way your brain functions and processes. When you die you basicly decay (or not if you're cremated or cryogenicly frozen:Plol).

Because of this you experiance nothing after death. Think of it as that time when you fall asleep and wake up in the morning. Its like you go to sleep and then pretty much immediatly you wake up and yet 12 hours have passed. It's that nothingness that repeats in you mind after.

I guess it is nice to think that way and give people something to live for. I don't but, this is one of those things i feel strongly about and so believe it. I like to look at things logically. When this belief is put into categories and religions though, i think it all goes rong there, but that's a different story.

RE: Do heaven and hell exist? by Ahmad on 03-04-2005 at 10:28 PM

In the Name of Allaah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful,

Do Heaven and Hell exist? Most certainly, I believe so.

Why? Well, without going into scripture (because not everyone believes in certain books [perhaps this is another discussion]) I'll just tell you how I see it.

As toddlers we are taught that if we do something bad, we receive a punishment of some kind (whether that be no chocolate or a smack on the bum, lol) and if we do something good then we receive a reward. This is true throughout our childhood, being a teenager and an adult - throughout our whole lives. This is also true through common law, if you break the law you receive a punishment, and if you do something outstanding then you are acknowledged and receive a reward.

So, are people wronged in this life without receiving justice? Yes. Do people do good and aren't rewarded? Yes. So it's only logical that after one dies, there is a recompense for all those actions, a punishment and a reward. How can one deny this, and why is it so hard to believe when we don't deny it in this life?

If you don't believe in life after death, then you believe that your life is without meaning. If you don't believe in life after death, then I ask you what are you doing here? Go out, have fun, do whatever you want, absolutely anything that makes you feel good.. good or bad? Who cares! Just do it! Why? You believe you won't be judged and punished/rewarded in the next life, you believe there is nothing, so stop wasting your meaningless life and at least have some fun while you're here (not that you'll remember it after, because you'll cease to exist, remember?). In fact, kill yourself right now and rid yourself of this misery. Absolutely Meaningless.

If you believe the above, and believe in God, then you also believe that God has put us here for fun and play, without wisdom, implying God is imperfect.

I believe we have been created to worship God how GOD intended us to worship Him, how do we know how? Perhaps this is yet another discussion. In short, I believe that if you submit to God how He intended you to then you will be judged on your deeds and be punished or forgiven for your sins, be recompensed for any injustice towards you, and inevitably enter Paradise for eternity. On the flip side, I believe if you don't submit to God the way He intended, you will receive justice from the others that wronged you on the day of judgment, and then you will go to Hellfire, for eternity.

And as ~INVASION~ mentioned, if you're wrong, you'll suffer for it. If I'm wrong, I lost nothing (and infact led a very happy and fruitful life). But if I'm right (and I believe with 100% certainty with a foundation that can not be shaken [because of the proof that my religion gives], that I am right), the reward is Paradise.

RE: Do heaven and hell exist? by andrey on 03-04-2005 at 10:32 PM

quote:
i know, whats with "science" i mean what REAL proof is there in science? they keep on changing stuff and cant really explain the source of "matter's" existence. or why its even there.
Most scientific statements are proven ! Radio waves exist, Atoms, molecules and all these things exist and are proven to exist. At first, the atomic science, for example, was pure theory, then people could prove that the whole thing is true.
True, there are some things that we don't understand yet, or that are simply beyond belief, for example some scientists think they could prove that auras truely exist.

quote:
i believe that there is an after life, but it can be explained through science.
As we know now, every organism, every atom, nearly everything in nature (wind, water etc) has some sort of energy, and energy can only be converted into energy, eg. wind energy --> electric energy, energy can't be lost or created.
Of couse, humans have energy too, partially electric energy.
But can we call this cycle "afterlife" ? This constant energy exchange only happens in the level of atoms and molecules, so it's no real "life".

quote:
quote:
Ur brain knows to think and say "o my GOD" "please help me GOD" the brain is suppose to know and thats what it it knows, God. Now is that because the brain knows more then we do or is it because we were raised in catholic society.
its a good question... similarly do we chose to believe certain things, because they actually exist? or .. because we are subconciously pulled into believing them by the society. like respect, toleration, lack of it etc. for instance y do we think its wrong to kill? right? (and i'm not being freaky with this, its just a question, stop looking at my siggy)
I would say that some humans believe in something like a god, a creature that rules and watches over us all IS determined by our environment, our parents, our education. It's just the way we humans evolved, we always need someone who 'leads' us, thus we invented god.
quote:
y do we think its wrong to kill?
That is a different thing, it's a deep-rooted instinct, just like the instinct to keep yourself alive, whatever happens.

Btw, lol at Ahmad's fanatic statement
"I believe we have been created to worship God"
No offence, I haven't been created to believe in god. Well, it's your belief and I have no right to say that you are wrong.
RE: Do heaven and hell exist? by DJeX on 03-04-2005 at 10:38 PM

I believe Heaven and Hell do exist. It says right in the Bible they do. And the Bible is the word of God. God would never lie, since he is pure good and is a man of loving affection towards every one of us. God loves us all, good or bad.

RE: RE: Do heaven and hell exist? by ProblemWv Authority on 03-04-2005 at 10:47 PM

quote:
Originally posted by DJeX
I believe Heaven and Hell do exist. It says right in the Bible they do. And the Bible is the word of God.

I think that the bible is basicly a big fairy tale. More like a book of myths like the greek ones. It was symply put together and grown over years and years of passing through generations. A book of philosophies read, followed and added to through experiance. It's a big metaphore of the way you should live life in a story of the journeys and adventures of the named "Jesus". Nothing particularly rong with it, just how people over exadurate its importance, it's quite stupid but you know, if people chose to do so then it's their choise and I guess it does set a good example on the hole.
RE: Do heaven and hell exist? by Joa on 03-04-2005 at 11:04 PM

in regard to god and life after death i could start this off like this -

we can very easily see that humans do have a sense of wrong/right. they seek a sense of order and harmony. we all seem to obey similar unspoken rules. those rules are set or just exist to create a certain type of balance. those rules can be argued to be passed on by society. BUT, take a look at everything. EVERYTHING is in perfect balance. the fact that there is life and death, that we are so perfectly made that (even though we are made of so many different parts, they all seem to work so well together), look at the planets which orbit around the sun. the galaxies and the whole universe. we live indeed in a very balanced type of world. having said all that, i like to think that god is the source of this balance. to me nothing would make sense if it was not true.

it all had to start somewhere. no scientific theory can prove that the universe existed forever - in fact we loosely are starting to get certain information of how the our earth/galaxy and ultimately the world came to existance. if it did not last forever, than what started it? even that initial "big bang" what triggered it?

as for science being all "theory" -it is. scientific "facts" get changed day in day out. sure we keep the same name for things "atoms" for instance but we find out more about their content, definitions of things change. (the atom was said to be a the smallest component, ultimately unbreakable - yet guess what, it is made of electrons, protons and neutrons, which are themselves made up of quarks, and now we are "theorizing" that the smallest matter are these strings of energy) what next? :P

shall i go on? what about light? not long ago they thought it was made up of particles, than waves, but now the interpretation is that it is made up of BOTH of these things. whats next i ask again?

THERE IS NO ABSOLUTE theory for the existance of things. why does everything have "theory" stuck to its label .. "gavitational theory" "theory of evolution" etc.

if you look into it, ALL scientists (if that is what they really are) SAY that ALL science is THEORY. that is a fact :)

going on to say, that there is no explanation for the existance of light, water, solids. we know its there and how it forms from other substances/sources but in the end we only can go so far. we dont know why they exist and how it all started. they all seem to have a specific cause...

so to summarize, why do we exist? do we also have a cause? is there something we are living for in the end? or does our purpose end at death? so many questions.. i wanna hear more of your thoughts and answers :D

RE: RE: Do heaven and hell exist? by paperless on 03-04-2005 at 11:18 PM

quote:
I believe Heaven and Hell do exist. It says right in the Bible they do. And the Bible is the word of God. God would never lie, since he is pure good and is a man of loving affection towards every one of us. God loves us all, good or bad.

:|

Hum.. ok..

Anyway.. i dont believe in hell and heaven simply because its associated with religion, im not 100% sure but im 99.6% sure that it is.

And in my opinion religion exists to control people nothing more an intelligent way tbh.
This is my very very resumed opinion about this..
Once i was writing everything i htought aboutr eligion in a thread and my computer turned off with no warning..and well IT WAS GOD!!! lol j/k :P
If you want me to post my whole opinion..ok ill make the effort
RE: Do heaven and hell exist? by andrey on 03-04-2005 at 11:20 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ProblemWv Authority
I think that the bible is basicly a big fairy tale. More like a book of myths like the greek ones. It was symply put together and grown over years and years of passing through generations. A book of philosophies read, followed and added to through experiance. It's a big metaphore of the way you should live life in a story of the journeys and adventures of the named "Jesus". Nothing particularly rong with it, just how people over exadurate its importance, it's quite stupid but you know, if people chose to do so then it's their choise and I guess it does set a good example on the hole.
I agree on this one.
The bible is a completely overvalued and over-interpreted story.
Let's begin with Adam and Eve.
There some schools in america are still teaching that mankind evolved from these two people, completely ignoring the fact that science has proven that we evolved from monkeys and that the picture of adam and eve is simply a metaphor.

The bible is definately not meant to be taken in the strict sense of the word !!!

quote:
Have you ever seen god, heaven or hell ?
The idea of heaven and hell is completely invented by humans, simply because nobody has ever seen heaven or hell and then came back to tell us it exists.
So how should we know ět exists ?

Science evolves because we discover new things every day. The bible is outdated, it was written centuries ago, and it wasn't written by god, it was written by humans who changed the bible a bit everytime they did a new translation whatsoever.

Discussions about god and the world can go on forever because there are so many people who all have a slightly different point of view on this theme.

Btw, I agree with paperless but I won't explain this whole control-thing he mentioned, I know what he means but I'll let him explain :p i'm too lazy to do this
RE: RE: Do heaven and hell exist? by dotNorma on 03-04-2005 at 11:24 PM

Sceince is always changing. By the time I am 18, none of the stuff I have learned will be any relevant to new day beleifs. :tongue:

quote:
Originally posted by ProblemWv Authority
Well, The bible was written by many different authors. But how does this mean that none of it is true? The current day bible is just a colabiration of all the many scriptures written over time. But how could so many people have come up with the same "storys"? And the bible isn't entirely about Jesus, The Jewish bible doesn't even mention Jesus.

Edit :: Science has not proven the evolution of mankind from ape. It is just a theory.
RE: Do heaven and hell exist? by Joa on 03-04-2005 at 11:28 PM

quote:
Originally posted by paperless
And in my opinion religion exists to control people nothing more an intelligent way tbh

i agree, see.. i'm Roman Catholic, and (if i told this to one of my priests i'd probably get cast out) i dont really like all the rules that are layed down on the followers -with any religion not just my own. i like to just analyze the philosophical and more spiritual part of religion.
in a way i think rules which exist in religions in general, are what drives most people away from even thinking that there is a god, or after life... it simply scares them off, or angers them.

thats just my opinion.

quote:
If you want me to post my whole opinion..ok ill make the effort
please?? :)

EDIT: I just wanna say that this is so cool that everybody is so civilized and respectful, as this is a very very contraversial topic :) YAY! everybody's awesome :)

RE: Do heaven and hell exist? by ~INVASION~ on 03-04-2005 at 11:40 PM

quote:
Originally posted by NoName
Edit :: Science has not proven the evolution of mankind from ape. It is just a theory.
every scientific report is only a theory. It is imposible to prove something to be 100% real in nature. IMPOSIBLE. name one thing that has been proven to be true 100 % of the time. You cant. so science isnt really as good as we think. but its the best we got
RE: Do heaven and hell exist? by Joa on 03-04-2005 at 11:47 PM

quote:
Originally posted by andrey
I would say that some humans believe in something like a god, a creature that rules and watches over us all IS determined by our environment, our parents, our education. It's just the way we humans evolved, we always need someone who 'leads' us, thus we invented god.

i think that this is also a sorta cool way to look at things... its true. from a psychological point of view even when searching for order, and when we don't understand something we feel threatened and in the end always try to find some sort of easy answer or way out. just so that we can feel secure. so we slap on any type of definition onto something without really justifying it.

u made a good point ;)
RE: Do heaven and hell exist? by paperless on 03-04-2005 at 11:48 PM

Ok.. you think religion is a good thing..? start telling good reasons to believe in one..
I think religion used to be a mean to control people..nowadays its like a football club IMO.
If you ask a father: "why did the war happen?" he says: "because god wanted it to happen" thats just dumb.. if god really existed like some believe, he wouldnt let war and other bad things happen.

The religion at least the most common one is full of contradictions, things that today are proven that are false among other things.

How many people suffered with the inquisition here in Europe? Just because they didnt follow the right steps of church do you think Jesus or whoever died for "us" would want that people to die, get tortured, etc just because they commited mistakes or things against church or whatever?

In that time everyone was controlled by religion if they said it was the word of god, it was, there was nothing to put in question and period.

Thanks to renaissance we got out of that period that only brought us delays in humanity.
Im not believing in something that caused so much suffering specially to judaists ( Christianity was originally developed as a part of Judaism ) and that is clearly full of lies, specially nowadays believing in any religion has no point..

I dont think the only bad religion is christianity.. im against any kind of religion sorry to tell this but IMO people that believe in it...im not telling more coz i dont want my post deleted.

I try not to get surprised and stuff but always when i see someone tlaking like: "omg god is the best he created us omg he rules!!" i just look at that person as someone that was kidnapped by ETs and came back with the ideas all wrong in the head..
I think: "how can someone normal believe in that and think that way?"
I try not to look to these people like that and try to accept.. but i cant.
Im not killing anyone for being christan but im probably not talking with that someone about religion because it will only guide to  bad discussions...
It is useless to try to make them believe god doesnt exist because they were told that word of god isnt questionable and stuff.. thats why i think this was a wise mean of controlling people minds at least in medieval ages.

RE: Do heaven and hell exist? by Joa on 03-04-2005 at 11:58 PM

paperless -
;) i'm christian and i like to hear different opinions. not everything is what it seems to be. dont judge by those few who made themselves known for the wrongs they did.

but its sad, because you are right with most of the things you said. i agree... but to me it still does not prove that god (as i imagine him) does not exist. which is cool, because this thread is not about converting people just sharing opinions ;)

but yeah, i agree totally that "religion" can be a tool. it can be a way of manipulation. that is why i think that "faith" and "spirituality" have a higher quality than religion. it is sad sometimes isnt it, that people cannot differentiate between the two. especially those who killed for their "religion" in the past... if they were true believers they would have followed not orders of the church but their faith first.

RE: RE: Do heaven and hell exist? by Ahmad on 03-04-2005 at 11:58 PM

quote:
in regard to god and life after death i could start this off like this -

we can very easily see that humans do have a sense of wrong/right. they seek a sense of order and harmony. we all seem to obey similar unspoken rules. those rules are set or just exist to create a certain type of balance. those rules can be argued to be passed on by society. BUT, take a look at everything. EVERYTHING is in perfect balance. the fact that there is life and death, that we are so perfectly made that (even though we are made of so many different parts, they all seem to work so well together), look at the planets which orbit around the sun. the galaxies and the whole universe. we live indeed in a very balanced type of world. having said all that, i like to think that god is the source of this balance. to me nothing would make sense if it was not true.

Very good :) That is a proof of the existence of God.

There are many people that will say that God does not exist and that we "evolved" and were not created. Yet if I say to these very same people such things as - I went to school today and I found writing on the whiteboard, it's amazing it just appeared out of nowhere! - they'll say I'm being crazy and that obviously someone wrote it! Or if they saw footsteps in the snow, would they assume they just "evolved" or did someone walk there? They would reply someone obviously walked there. Or if I said that a ship sailed itself in the worst conditions known to man around the world without a captain or anyone on board, they would say I was crazy! Or if they found a watch in the desert, they would assume someone was there and dropped, not that it just "evolved" out of nowhere. And so on...

They can't believe such simple things like that, but when asked about the creation of the universe and all it's complexities they can sit back and say no one created it, it evolved..... that's very hypocritical on their part and I don't see how that belief can possibly stand after stating the above.
RE: Do heaven and hell exist? by paperless on 03-05-2005 at 12:03 AM

Here is something one guy decided to do, he stopped being christan after reading bible. there he has a review made by him where hepoints the contradtictions injustice etc of each phrase in bible (i think so, i havent seen the whole site): http://www.skepticsannotatedbible.com/

RE: Do heaven and hell exist? by Joa on 03-05-2005 at 12:11 AM

quote:
Here is something one guy decided to do, he stopped being christan after reading bible. there he has a review made by him where hepoints the contradtictions injustice etc of each phrase in bible (i think so, i havent seen the whole site): http://www.skepticsannotatedbible.com/

hmm.. i'm reading it right now. so far he is just finding random quotes from the old testament. and yes he is right, if you dont read the whole thing some of the things he quotes and highlights can be very very disturbing :S

.. personally i dont really take the old testament too literally. i mean, i do understand it was passed on by mouth, and than written down by a variety of people. i think mainly .. the essence of it, is what christians and other religions truthfully look at.

but its an interesting link, i cant really judge it yet cuz i havent read the whole thing. so far its interesting :P

Edit: he has some good points on the website. i mean... yeah whoever reads this will think twice before believing literally what the old testament says.

i hope nobody gets offended by this link it is only an opinion and criticism by this person. he is entitled to his own interpretation. as i said before EVERYBODY sees things differently. he has the right to doubt/not believe etc. so lets not argue over this. besides sometimes its encouraged to look from a different point of view and not be tunnel visioned.

on a different note: my head hurts from this thread lol.. i'm going out to watch a movie :P .. hopefully something stupid so i can stop thinking
RE: Do heaven and hell exist? by TheBlasphemer on 03-05-2005 at 12:23 AM

bah, I dun believe in heaven or hell :P
Let's say I was christian, then i'd be automatically doomed in a bunch of other beliefs,
but if I believe in any of those other beliefs, there'd be other's that'd doom me...
so basicly, i'd always be doomed :P
and I don't like thinking about it that way ;)

RE: Do heaven and hell exist? by DJeX on 03-05-2005 at 02:09 AM

quote:
Originaly posted by: andrey
Have you ever seen god, heaven or hell ?
The idea of heaven and hell is completely invented by humans, simply because nobody has ever seen heaven or hell and then came back to tell us it exists.
So how should we know ět exists ?

No I have not, because Heaven or Hell is at the end of your life. When your time is up then that is when you will see.

God does not want to be seen, he actually hides himself. And it is up to us to find him and bring him into our lives.

There has been a couple people that when they died they went to Heaven but they were told they were not ready yet and were sent back.After they regain life they tell that they have seen Heaven. They say it's the most beautiful place you will ever see. So calm, peaceful that they did not want to go back to there bodies. So why do you think God hides this from us? Well it's because once you experience the peace and pure love of God in Heaven you will not want to go back to this world full of hate, and evil.

We know it exists in our hearts and sole. By loving and believing in God we know that he exists and that we shall not give in to the Devil.
RE: Do heaven and hell exist? by user44571 on 03-05-2005 at 02:12 AM

now here's the weird thing about me, im a bit weirded out by death so i really want to believe they exist, but i really dont know, the thought of hell exisiting  stops me from doing anything to bad though

RE: Do heaven and hell exist? by DJeX on 03-05-2005 at 02:19 AM

You should give the Bible a reading. Even if you don't believe in God, Devil, Heaven, Hell it really helps relieve the stress off life and it guides you to the right direction. I know it helps me a lot.

RE: Do heaven and hell exist? by user44571 on 03-05-2005 at 02:22 AM

to much, i mean i used to have religous education as one of my classes and we read some of the bible, it just semt to drag on

RE: Do heaven and hell exist? by DJeX on 03-05-2005 at 02:25 AM

I know what you mean by drag on. You can't really read a lot at one time. I read about 2 pages a day. Sometimes I just skim through the Bible and read random things.

The Revelations in the New Testament I find the most interesting. It's what is going to happen in end times when Jesus comes down and fights off the Devil and how God will punish all that follows the Devil.

RE: Do heaven and hell exist? by M73A on 03-05-2005 at 09:54 AM

wooo bibles 8-) only thing in the bible i know is whats in my signature, lol

RE: Do heaven and hell exist? by Hank on 03-05-2005 at 09:59 AM

i believe in Heaven :) .. look at Jimi Hendrix,, now i'd wanna be burried near a Legend like he was  :)

RE: Do heaven and hell exist? by user44571 on 03-05-2005 at 10:02 AM

[philosiphical statement alert]

in my opinion heaven and hell exist if you believe they do, if you do not believe they do than they dont

RE: Do heaven and hell exist? by Ash_ on 03-05-2005 at 10:06 AM

if you think  about it.

If Christianity was the right religeon, and Heaven and Hell do exist.

How come there's other religeons?, like buddhism.

Why is the Buddhism if our Version of the after life is correct?

RE: Do heaven and hell exist? by user44571 on 03-05-2005 at 10:18 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Ash_
if you think  about it.

If Christianity was the right religeon, and Heaven and Hell do exist.

How come there's other religeons?, like buddhism.

Why is the Buddhism if our Version of the after life is correct?

very true, it just goes to show you can never know, for there are all different religions with different believes, like budisim believes in re incarnation (i do aswell actually), so what makes our religion the right one in terms of life after death
RE: Do heaven and hell exist? by John Anderton on 03-05-2005 at 10:39 AM

Dont ask me why cause i dont know but i seem to believe in the reincarnation bit. That implies no for sure so thats my vote but it wouldnt hurt if that were a different option :rolleyes:

RE: Do heaven and hell exist? by saralk on 03-05-2005 at 11:04 AM

quote:
As we know now, every organism, every atom, nearly everything in nature (wind, water etc) has some sort of energy, and energy can only be converted into energy, eg. wind energy --> electric energy, energy can't be lost or created.
But can we call this cycle "afterlife" ? This constant energy exchange only happens in the level of atoms and molecules, so it's no real "life".

the nutrients in your body, i.e. the protein used to make cells, any food that was in your body, the fat in your body, everything stems from other organic materials (im not talking about organicly grown food, im talking about naturally occuring materials), when you, or any lifeform dies, all these nutrients are taken from their body, these nutrients will help another lifeform grow, be it through the minerals being absorbed into the soil, which plants use to grow, and then create fruits that animals eat, or by maggots eating your body.

Either way, your flesh will become, in one way or another, part of another being.

This is something that can be explained through science, not through religion, and i think it is a nice way to live your life, knowing that through your death, you spawn the life of others.
RE: Do heaven and hell exist? by user44571 on 03-05-2005 at 11:09 AM

quote:
quote:

the nutrients in your body, i.e. the protein used to make cells, any food that was in your body, the fat in your body, everything stems from other organic materials (im not talking about organicly grown food, im talking about naturally occuring materials), when you, or any lifeform dies, all these nutrients are taken from their body, these nutrients will help another lifeform grow, be it through the minerals being absorbed into the soil, which plants use to grow, and then create fruits that animals eat, or by maggots eating your body.

Either way, your flesh will become, in one way or another, part of another being.

This is something that can be explained through science, not through religion, and i think it is a nice way to live your life, knowing that through your death, you spawn the life of others.

woah, thats sounds really nice, like a completely different sort of afterlife
RE: Do heaven and hell exist? by King For A Day on 03-05-2005 at 11:59 AM

nah i doubt it totally

RE: Do heaven and hell exist? by user44571 on 03-05-2005 at 12:00 PM

doubt what, saralks thing or that heaven and hell exist?

RE: RE: Do heaven and hell exist? by TheBlasphemer on 03-05-2005 at 12:35 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Ahmad
In the Name of Allaah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful,

Do Heaven and Hell exist? Most certainly, I believe so.

Why? Well, without going into scripture (because not everyone believes in certain books [perhaps this is another discussion]) I'll just tell you how I see it.

As toddlers we are taught that if we do something bad, we receive a punishment of some kind (whether that be no chocolate or a smack on the bum, lol) and if we do something good then we receive a reward. This is true throughout our childhood, being a teenager and an adult - throughout our whole lives. This is also true through common law, if you break the law you receive a punishment, and if you do something outstanding then you are acknowledged and receive a reward.

So, are people wronged in this life without receiving justice? Yes. Do people do good and aren't rewarded? Yes.
Totally disagree with this, if you do good to other people, people will treat you like that too. that'd be your reward :)
quote:
So it's only logical that after one dies, there is a recompense for all those actions, a punishment and a reward. How can one deny this, and why is it so hard to believe when we don't deny it in this life?

If you don't believe in life after death, then you believe that your life is without meaning. If you don't believe in life after death, then I ask you what are you doing here? Go out, have fun, do whatever you want, absolutely anything that makes you feel good.. good or bad? Who cares! Just do it! Why? You believe you won't be judged and punished/rewarded in the next life, you believe there is nothing, so stop wasting your meaningless life and at least have some fun while you're here (not that you'll remember it after, because you'll cease to exist, remember?). In fact, kill yourself right now and rid yourself of this misery. Absolutely Meaningless.
Why would I kill myself? for the time I have to spend on this earth, I like it :)
And I totally disagree with the part about doing whatever you want,
You and I are sharing this world with a lot of others, and if we don't respect those others, how can I expect others to respect me?
and if others don't respect me, how can I keep this a happy life :)?
quote:
If you believe the above, and believe in God, then you also believe that God has put us here for fun and play, without wisdom, implying God is imperfect.

I believe we have been created to worship God how GOD intended us to worship Him, how do we know how? Perhaps this is yet another discussion. In short, I believe that if you submit to God how He intended you to then you will be judged on your deeds and be punished or forgiven for your sins, be recompensed for any injustice towards you, and inevitably enter Paradise for eternity. On the flip side, I believe if you don't submit to God the way He intended, you will receive justice from the others that wronged you on the day of judgment, and then you will go to Hellfire, for eternity.
Well, that's what you believe, and I respect you for that.
What I don't respect however is people trying to convince others of their religion. I don't like terrorists, I don't like those silly christians ringing your door to tell you about god. But don't get me wrong, if you're not going to spam me to death with this theory, I won't hate you, because you put it here for others to read, and others can decide for themselves if they want to read it or not :)
quote:

And as ~INVASION~ mentioned, if you're wrong, you'll suffer for it. If I'm wrong, I lost nothing (and infact led a very happy and fruitful life). But if I'm right (and I believe with 100% certainty with a foundation that can not be shaken [because of the proof that my religion gives], that I am right), the reward is Paradise.

Yeah, if I'm wrong, I'll probably suffer (although I don't think I've actually ever done REAL bad :P).
But for now, I'm willing to take that chance, since I have seen absolutely no proof, not even vague proof, to religions except for books made up by people.
Some might argue that people have seen the light, but keep in mind that there are also a lot of people claiming to have been kidnapped by aliens :P
RE: Do heaven and hell exist? by user44571 on 03-05-2005 at 12:53 PM

i believe its all in your head, there's no way of telling if any of these afterlives are true because its the afterlife, meaning they cant speak to us

RE: Do heaven and hell exist? by Millenium_edition on 03-05-2005 at 01:06 PM

we are made of flesh and blood. religion, hell, heaven, ghosts, etc. IT'S ALL IMAGINATION. we want to explain what we can't explain. our brain thinks and thinks and goes way too far.

religion, etc. are caused by the high intelligence of mankind.

RE: Do heaven and hell exist? by mad_onion on 03-05-2005 at 04:34 PM

lol of course heaven and hell dont exist. the likely hood that us humans actually thought of something that is there is so unlikely i severly doubt it.
you just die and then your dead. peoplewho thhink overwise are jst trying to cling onto a safety blanket so they dont have to think about them not existing anymore. but you wont. when you die you are dead and nothing happens to you or your "soul" after that. thats it.

RE: Do heaven and hell exist? by Joe on 03-05-2005 at 06:01 PM

After death... you don't breathe any more... i think

I think Heaven and Hell do exist... or at least Purgatory

RE: Do heaven and hell exist? by dotNorma on 03-07-2005 at 12:20 AM

quote:
Originally posted by atownjoe
After death... you don't breathe any more... i think

Took you alot to figure to that out? :-/
RE: Do heaven and hell exist? by ShawnZ on 03-07-2005 at 02:14 AM

Theres more evidence pointing to the fact that they don't exist, and besides the point, there are so many religions that there is a slim to none chance of this spesific part of it being true. I don't beleave in this, or anything written in the bible and such, because its just a man who wrote it, not God. There might be a higher power that got us this far (evolution and such) but I highly dought it. If you put a bunch of monkeys in a room with a typewriter forever, they'll write shakespeare. Same with perfection of the universe. But where all the empty space came from?

OMFG I HAVE THE WORST MIGRAIN

RE: Do heaven and hell exist? by dotNorma on 03-07-2005 at 02:33 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Shawnz
If you put a bunch of monkeys in a room with a typewriter forever, they'll write shakespeare

I dought they would. :-/
RE: Do heaven and hell exist? by DJeX on 03-07-2005 at 02:41 AM

quote:
Orginaly posted by: Shawnz
I don't beleave in this, or anything written in the bible and such, because its just a man who wrote it, not God.

God wrote the Bible through man. God told certain people to write it, including some of Jesus’ disciples.
RE: Do heaven and hell exist? by dotNorma on 03-07-2005 at 03:05 AM

quote:
God wrote the Bible through man. God told certain people to write it, including some of Jesus’ disciples.

Though, many other people wrote records, and recorded the word of God. It wasn't just people chosen by God.
RE: Do heaven and hell exist? by Joa on 03-07-2005 at 03:19 AM

i was thinking earlier today about this (its not entirely linked to the original question)

umm.. i thought of a good argument for those that do not believe in god and for those who do. :P

because, we humans, are such a young species compared to the existance of planets, the universe, or basically even other living organisms. it is difficult for us to imagine or grasp the idea that some things may not have an end or a beginning. because we see things around us die all the time, we naturally assume that all things have a beginning and an end. that is why, it is hard for people to visualize the universe as always having an existance... what if it did exist forever? we are nothing - compared to all those ancient things that exist out there (or even on the earth). we just formed randomly because somehow an atmosphere necessary for our existance developed. had it been a bit different, maybe other beings would form.

... it was hard for me to find some sort of argument against it. but, it would not make any sense to me... looking at the perfection of our world. i mean everything exists in such a balance. EVERYTHING. its crazy...

i looked at it this way... god maybe is not as most people and religions view it/him/her.. what if god does not think/see/hear as most religions assume god does? people always give god HUMAN form, or way of understanding, human qualities.. (this is my opinion i dont mean to offend anybody's religion or non-religion) what if god IS the universe, what if god is the planets, galaxies, the earth, grass, rocks, fish, and a part of us.. everything that exists... i argue this way because, it sustains us, it gave us life.

i know this way of seeing things seems sort of pagan :P (kind of gives an explanation or excuse for those who in the past worshiped the planets or the sun) but think about it, it sort of makes sense. heaven and hell maybe are a fragment of our imagination than... or maybe they do exist but in a different way than anybody thinks. ...

just some abstract thoughts :P

RE: Do heaven and hell exist? by DJeX on 03-07-2005 at 03:28 AM

quote:
just some abstract thoughts

yep
RE: Do heaven and hell exist? by Omar on 03-07-2005 at 03:30 AM

There's no heaven or hell...
There's no god or devil...

* Omar only believes in himself...and in Yoko Ono :p

RE: Do heaven and hell exist? by Joa on 03-07-2005 at 04:00 AM

quote:
yep
bet nobody can prove me wrong though :P

and... my theory could prove most religions/theories as true. cuz it doesnt really go against anything...

hahaha suckers, they dont know whats coming. i have all the answers.8-)
RE: RE: Do heaven and hell exist? by haydos on 03-07-2005 at 04:03 AM

quote:
Originally posted by NoName
quote:

Though, many other people wrote records, and recorded the word of God. It wasn't just people chosen by God.

Sorry to disagree with you guys but what about other religions who have their own versions of the bible? How were they directed to write them?
RE: Do heaven and hell exist? by dotNorma on 03-07-2005 at 04:14 AM

quote:
Originally posted by inc_haydn
Sorry to disagree with you guys but what about other religions who have their own versions of the bible? How were they directed to write them?

Bibles are nothing but historical records. It is just a book, filled with recorded history. Nobody has to be directed to write a bible.
RE: Do heaven and hell exist? by Pipish on 03-07-2005 at 04:17 AM

i have suddenly started to think about jesus and have to read the bible for a subject at school so i am half half on this

RE: Do heaven and hell exist? by Joa on 03-07-2005 at 04:23 AM

quote:
Originally posted by inc_haydn

there is the old testament and the new testament.

all three - christianity, islam, and judaism base themselves on the old testament. i don't think there is any specific difference in the the old testament that those three religions use. the difference is what comes after..

for instance:
the new testament part of the bible is only followed by christians - some of the parts in it are said to have been written by some of jesus's desciples. it is considered to be about jesus's life and death.

the koran - is followed by muslims. it is considered to contain the will of god revealed to muhammad.

judaism - only follows the old testament

:P if i'm wrong here somebody who knows better please correct me

- isnt it weird that all three of these religions have the old testament as their base?
RE: Do heaven and hell exist? by Ahmad on 03-07-2005 at 04:44 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Joa
all three - christianity, islam, and judaism base themselves on the old testament..
Islaam is based upon the Qur'aan and the Sunnah (way) of Muhammad  (peace be upon him)
The Qur'aan are the words of God revealed to Muhammad, and were written down by his companions (as he couldn't read or write).

The Qur'aan is a book that contains no errors nor contradictions, and has not been changed since it was revealed over 1400 years ago (unlike other books that man has since corrupted).

The Qur'aan also contains many scientific facts that have only been discovered in the past century.

For information about that visit: http://science4islam.com/ and http://www.islam-guide.com/
RE: Do heaven and hell exist? by haydos on 03-07-2005 at 04:50 AM

ok sorry i didnt know they were all based around words of god etc....

RE: Do heaven and hell exist? by Joa on 03-07-2005 at 04:50 AM

quote:
Islaam is based upon the Qur'aan and the Sunnah (way) of Muhammad  (peace be upon him)
The Qur'aan are the words of God revealed to Muhammad, and were written down by his companions (as he couldn't read or write).

The Qur'aan is a book that contains no errors nor contradictions, and has not been changed since it was revealed over 1400 years ago (unlike other books that man has since corrupted).

The Qur'aan also contains many scientific facts that have only been discovered in the past century.

For information about that visit: http://science4islam.com/ and http://www.islam-guide.com/

yes, but how does Islam view the old testament?
RE: Do heaven and hell exist? by Ahmad on 03-07-2005 at 04:57 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Joa
yes, but how does Islam view the old testament?
We believe in the Psalms that was revealed to Dawuud (David), we believe in the scripture that was revealed to Ibraahim (Abraham), we believe in the Torah that was revealed to Musa (Moses), we believe in the Gospel that was revealed to 'Eesa (Jesus), and we believe in any other scripture that was revealed to the Prophets and/or Messengers before them (Peace be upon all of them).

Having said that, we do not follow nor consider these books to be the pure word of God anymore, since they have been changed (and corrupted) by mankind - fact.
RE: Do heaven and hell exist? by Joa on 03-07-2005 at 05:00 AM

quote:
We believe in the Psalms that was revealed to Dawuud (David), we believe in the scripture that was revealed to Ibraahim (Abraham), we believe in the Torah that was revealed to Musa (Moses), we believe in the Gospel that was revealed to 'Eesa (Jesus), and we believe in any other scripture that was revealed to the Prophets and/or Messengers before them (Peace be upon all of them).

Having said that, we do not follow nor consider these books to be the pure word of God anymore, since they have been changed (and corrupted) by mankind - fact.

ah.. now i understand.. :) thanks
RE: Do heaven and hell exist? by -dt- on 03-07-2005 at 06:28 AM

Im fair sure there would be something after death but I dont think it will be one place for bad people and one place for good people , i think we will be reborn into other creatures or humans again.

RE: Do heaven and hell exist? by FrozernFire on 03-07-2005 at 07:53 AM

i think that when we die, it's just like going to a sleep and we will never wake up from it again and cease to exist. it sounds scary even to myself :S

RE: Do heaven and hell exist? by user44571 on 03-07-2005 at 08:10 AM

i once whent through a day where i thought about that theory and completely psyched out

RE: Do heaven and hell exist? by DJeX on 03-07-2005 at 09:40 PM

I sometimes think about what space is? If God created this world where did he come from? Is there a higher God that controls space? Are there other planets with a God on them? OR Did our God create space? It's interesting to think about.

RE: Do heaven and hell exist? by Tasha on 03-07-2005 at 09:51 PM

Asking whether heaven and hell exist is like asking which came first, the chicken or the egg? It can't be proven. The only people who know can't tell us.

And yea, DJeX, it is interesting to think about life, the way we live, how we got here, whether there are other life forms.. Maybe someone should start a great debate thread.. :p