Shoutbox

Background Stealer? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: Scripting (/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+----- Forum: Plug-Ins (/forumdisplay.php?fid=28)
+------ Thread: Background Stealer? (/showthread.php?tid=39551)

Background Stealer? by NoMeN on 03-04-2005 at 10:46 PM

i was wondering if it would be possible to create a plugin similar to the CE/DP Stealer that could extract the shared backgrounds to jpg or png files. imo, it would be awesome!! :D what you guys think?

RE: Background Stealer? by ProblemWv Authority on 03-04-2005 at 10:51 PM

Sounds good but i very much doubt it is possible. The Custom Emoticons and Display Pictures are put on the MSN Server so they can be viewed by the other person. The backgrounds on the other hand kept on your computer and are not available to access over the server or internet and so cannot be stollen. Unless you want you PC hacked lol.

RE: Background Stealer? by NoMeN on 03-04-2005 at 10:54 PM

yeah but... they are saved somewhere in the computer? dat file maybe? :S maybe there is a way to acess those files.

RE: Background Stealer? by ProblemWv Authority on 03-04-2005 at 10:59 PM

ye but it's invation of privacy. If the backgrounds are posted onto the internet then stollen it's ok but if you steal them directly from someone elses computer then potentially you could steal anything from them. Also the backgrounds are saved in many different places on someones computer, you would be able to make it take them from a cirtain file.

I mean it mite be possible cause i aint an expert:) but i very much doupt it:( lol

RE: Background Stealer? by Stigmata on 03-04-2005 at 11:19 PM

ProblemWv Authority, please try not to talk about something you know nothing about in future...

quote:
Originally posted by ProblemWv Authority
The Custom Emoticons and Display Pictures are put on the MSN Server so they can be viewed by the other person.

Wrong. custom emotes and dp's are stored in your tempory folder. Cp/dp stealers work by searching through the this folder for .bin files(which are the images), they are sent via the msn messenger protocol.

backgrounds are stored locally. and are only sent if u send them yourself
RE: Background Stealer? by Fredzz on 03-05-2005 at 12:05 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Stigmata
ProblemWv Authority, please try not to talk about something you know nothing about in future...

quote:
Originally posted by ProblemWv Authority
The Custom Emoticons and Display Pictures are put on the MSN Server so they can be viewed by the other person.

Wrong. custom emotes and dp's are stored in your tempory folder. Cp/dp stealers work by searching through the this folder for .bin files(which are the images), they are sent via the msn messenger protocol.

backgrounds are stored locally. and are only sent if u send them yourself

That's true. Its likely impossible to steal a background. Its diferent about CE and DP, because those are actually transfered to your computer, therefore you see them on your screen. Now, with Backgrounds, you dont see your friend's background, therefore it's not transfered to your computer, as CE's and DP's are.

RE: Background Stealer? by NoMeN on 03-05-2005 at 02:04 PM

yeah, but i meant "shared" backgrounds. the contact shares a background with you... but he doesnt send you the image file. it has to be saved somewhere on the computer.

RE: Background Stealer? by x2zen on 03-05-2005 at 02:11 PM

You cant steal, share or whatsoever a contacts background unless the person shares it with you (that feature is in messenger itself).
You can hack the contacts pc but no

RE: Background Stealer? by Millenium_edition on 03-05-2005 at 02:42 PM

huuf has made a program to intercept backgrounds when they are shared. it had been posted on mess.be before.

RE: Background Stealer? by NoMeN on 03-05-2005 at 02:50 PM

hmmmm... could you tell me how that program is called?

RE: Background Stealer? by TheBlasphemer on 03-05-2005 at 02:59 PM

quote:
Originally posted by NoMeN
i was wondering if it would be possible to create a plugin similar to the CE/DP Stealer that could extract the shared backgrounds to jpg or png files. imo, it would be awesome!! :D what you guys think?

The bold part clearly states that the backgrounds are already shared,
why on EARTH is everyone telling him it's not stored on your pc?!
It's just in the aplication data folder thingie :/
RE: Background Stealer? by NoMeN on 03-05-2005 at 03:09 PM

yeah hehehehe.... i thought you guys missed that :p

RE: Background Stealer? by RaceProUK on 03-05-2005 at 04:15 PM

So basically someone needs to crack the encryption of whatever files are the backgrounds.

RE: Background Stealer? by TheBlasphemer on 03-05-2005 at 05:33 PM

They're not even encrypted :P

RE: Background Stealer? by crank on 03-05-2005 at 06:34 PM

just change the extension to png :p
a simple batch file could even do that!

RE: Background Stealer? by RaceProUK on 03-05-2005 at 06:38 PM

quote:
Originally posted by TheBlasphemer
They're not even encrypted :P
MSN6.2 or MSN7?
Not encrypted in MSN7... meh...
RE: Background Stealer? by Fredzz on 03-05-2005 at 07:19 PM

quote:
yeah, but i meant "shared" backgrounds. the contact shares a background with you... but he doesnt send you the image file. it has to be saved somewhere on the computer.

ooooooooh SHARED backgrounds.. i missed that :$
quote:
Originally posted by TheBlasphemer
quote:

The bold part clearly states that the backgrounds are already shared,
why on EARTH is everyone telling him it's not stored on your pc?!
It's just in the aplication data folder thingie :/

omg sorry! i didnt noticed about the SHARED word..

so its all just like CE and DPs, theyre with a diferent extension right? theyre must be near the folders of CE and DPs
RE: Background Stealer? by crank on 03-05-2005 at 07:45 PM

actually they have the same extansion i think and they are in the folder where your ce/dp are stored also...

RE: Background Stealer? by Fredzz on 03-05-2005 at 08:50 PM

Found it

They're located in the normal folder
C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Application Data\Microsoft\MSN Messenger\YOUR MSN NUMBER\Backgrounds

You just need to rename the .dat to .png. and it will contain your backgrounds and shared bgs too..  I just tried it (Y)

RE: Background Stealer? by Stigmata on 03-05-2005 at 09:55 PM

and if anyone wants to find YOUR NUMBER

they can use this program:

http://plasticangels.com/downloads/download.php?id=3

RE: Background Stealer? by NoMeN on 03-05-2005 at 10:42 PM

hmmm... what if im using MSN 7 604 build? there is no such called folder Fredzz.... :S

RE: Background Stealer? by (CyBeRDuDe) on 03-05-2005 at 10:47 PM

quote:
hmmm... what if im using MSN 7 604 build? there is no such called folder Fredzz.... :S

Shouldn't make any difference... This has been the same since MSN 6.1 or something, and it still should be... rembember to replace USERNAME with the you computer username, NOT MSN Username or anything....
Just use this folder instead "%AppData%\Microsoft\MSN Messenger" and you will be there... :D...

RE: Background Stealer? by NoMeN on 03-05-2005 at 10:55 PM

thanks a lot!! now its working! would it be too difficult to make an easy to use tool to spng plugin.... or maybe plus! ?

RE: Background Stealer? by Fredzz on 03-06-2005 at 08:35 PM

quote:

OMG :wall: OMG
RE: Background Stealer? by NoMeN on 03-07-2005 at 05:17 PM

lol nm Freedzz! :p the folder just didnt show up but (CyBeRDuDe)
helped me out ;)