Shoutbox

Installing msgplus... - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! Help (/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+----- Thread: Installing msgplus... (/showthread.php?tid=39592)

Installing msgplus... by Lou on 03-05-2005 at 02:43 PM

Like alot of ppl I am testing the public beta of msn messenger. But my computer went crazy and I had to reformat. When I reinstalled my windows I went to download Messenger Plus! again but guess what! As soon as it was on my computer nothing happened. I double clicked it and the installer didnt load. Instead I heard an error noise with NO error message. I contacted Microsoft support but they are the slowest ppl I have ever met. I guessed that it would be 100% more worthwhile to come here and ask how to get it to work.

[COMPUTER INFO]

Windows XP Pro/Updated with the windows updates
[/COMPUTER INFO]

Please help me someone I NEED Plus! to live!!!! PLEASE!!!!!

RE: Installing msgplus... by Anubis on 03-05-2005 at 03:45 PM

Have you tried delteing that file...and downloading it again after a reboot, then trying to install?

RE: Installing msgplus... by Lou on 03-05-2005 at 04:01 PM

5 times

RE: Installing msgplus... by RaceProUK on 03-05-2005 at 04:08 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Anubis
Have you tried delteing that file...and downloading it again after a reboot, then trying to install?
Also empty your browser's Temporary Internet Files/cache.
RE: Installing msgplus... by Lou on 03-05-2005 at 07:10 PM

I just reformated..its empty...

RE: Installing msgplus... by matty on 03-05-2005 at 07:44 PM

Out of curiosity, the Messenger Plus! installer icon, is it the normal multicolour butterfly with the exclamation point inside of it?

If it is I will email Patchou and he may send you the beta because it creates a dump file for installation and then if it fails he could see if it is Messenger Plus! or Windows.

Now are you using any type of Download Manager to "speed" up the downloads? If so try and disable it.

Have you tried both the Full Public Release of Messenger Plus! from http://msgplus.net and the Beta located on these forums?

RE: Installing msgplus... by Lou on 03-05-2005 at 09:39 PM

a. yes it is the normal one..I used to have it on cd...put it on the computer and it still woudlnt read.
b.No download manager..those usually make things slower
c. Yes I have tried both I had both on cd. Nothing works. Its really weird.

RE: Installing msgplus... by Patchou on 03-05-2005 at 11:13 PM

I know if may sound very simplistic but did you try restarting your computer?

RE: Installing msgplus... by Lou on 03-06-2005 at 02:22 AM

of course.
and IM DIEING WITHOUT PLUS:P

[off topic] nice site Patchou:P www.patchou.com ...hehehe [/off topic]

RE: Installing msgplus... by jren207 on 03-06-2005 at 02:48 PM

Have any antivirus software or anti-spyware software running?

Temporarely disable it then if plus! installs correctly, re-enable your protection.

RE: Installing msgplus... by CookieRevised on 03-06-2005 at 02:53 PM

quote:
Originally posted by lou_habs
I contacted Microsoft support but they are the slowest ppl I have ever met.
Never contact Microsoft for a problem with a 3rd party software. (You don't go to the supermarket if you have a problem with your car either :p)
RE: Installing msgplus... by Lou on 03-06-2005 at 04:23 PM

its just installing it.....it wont even run the installer.....thought it might be a windows problem...besides they havent conatacted me yet...

RE: Installing msgplus... by Craven on 03-06-2005 at 09:11 PM

quote:
Originally posted by lou_habs
Like alot of ppl I am testing the public beta of msn messenger. But my computer went crazy and I had to reformat. When I reinstalled my windows I went to download Messenger Plus! again but guess what! As soon as it was on my computer nothing happened. I double clicked it and the installer didnt load. Instead I heard an error noise with NO error message. I contacted Microsoft support but they are the slowest ppl I have ever met. I guessed that it would be 100% more worthwhile to come here and ask how to get it to work.

[COMPUTER INFO]

Windows XP Pro/Updated with the windows updates
[/COMPUTER INFO]

Please help me someone I NEED Plus! to live!!!! PLEASE!!!!!

After messing around with a variety of different versions of MSN Messenger (Public 6.2, Public Beta 7 - 425, Private Beta 632) I too came across this problem.

Are you SURE you are using the current PUBLIC beta of MSN 7 from http://messenger.msn.com/beta ? (Version 7.0.0425 - See Help->About MSN Messenger) and not 7.0.0632?

From testing, it seems the MsgPlus installer will only run on 6.x and the Public MSN Betas. Using it on other versions yields the results you described.

The cause of the problem, it seems, is that MsgPlus isn't detecting that MSN is installed when 7.0.0632/Private Beta is used. The problem however, is that no error message seems to be displayed.

BUT:

Right click the MsgPlus install file, hit Properties, select Compatability, Tick the "Run this program in compatability mode for:" box and select Windows 98/ME from the drop down box. Hit ok, and re-run the installer. Your error message should magically appear! (at least it did for me).

However, in your first post you stated that you are indeed using the Public Beta. If this is the case (check your version) then you shouldn't be having this problem. In which case, I suggest you uninstall everything, install Messenger 6.2, install MsgPlus 3.4 for MSN Beta 7, then install the public beta of MSN 7. (Interestingly enough, this is also a way to bypass the installation problem of MsgPlus on the Private Betas - Install 6.2, then MsgPlus 3.4, then 632/Private Beta 7 and MsgPlus will load with the beta. However, this only lasts until the user logs off or reboots, after which MsgPlus will not load with the Private Beta, and the installer will not run).

Hope that helps.
RE: Installing msgplus... by Lou on 03-06-2005 at 11:42 PM

got ya...works...Ill reinstal msn and itll work..thanks:P