Shoutbox

[Suggestion] File Transfer Resume - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+----- Thread: [Suggestion] File Transfer Resume (/showthread.php?tid=39667)

[Suggestion] File Transfer Resume by hexdude on 03-06-2005 at 07:38 PM

this would be a really neat feature on msg plus, if there was a  File Transfer Resume, so if you connection breaks and your senting or rec a file, then the next time you go to sent or rec the same file u could click a resume button (or even better it does it by itself :P)

e.g

i have a zip file (100mb) and i drag and drop to contact (mr a)

it gets half way, and mr a computer cut off the internet

mr a come back on line and i re drag and drop

msg plus, then asks (or be default) resume the download from where mr a computer got to last time.!!!

any thoughts on this? ;)

RE: [Suggestion] File Transfer Resume by user27089 on 03-06-2005 at 07:43 PM

I don't think that its possible i'm afraid, it will break the connection, and its not fully sent until the whole thing is there, so there is no record of the amount of file thats been sent apart from the percentage... Nice idea, but not possible I'm afraid...

:( Sorry Dude.

RE: [Suggestion] File Transfer Resume by Dempsey on 03-06-2005 at 07:45 PM

theres a plugin called File Transfer Plus that uses its own file transfer system and it supports resuming, but both you and your contact need the plugin.

RE: [Suggestion] File Transfer Resume by Wabz on 03-07-2005 at 02:45 AM

I'm sure this is possible, I can remember wtbw was going to create this option sometime ago.  But he was too busy :(

RE: [Suggestion] File Transfer Resume by albert on 03-07-2005 at 03:47 AM

File Transfer Plus makes it possible as said above, the only problem is that both people have to have it.. :(

RE: [Suggestion] File Transfer Resume by RaceProUK on 03-07-2005 at 01:30 PM

The FT mechanism in Messenger itself could support resuming, if Microsoft actually implemented it :mipdodgy:

RE: [Suggestion] File Transfer Resume by Fredzz on 03-07-2005 at 10:57 PM

quote:
Originally posted by raceprouk
The FT mechanism in Messenger itself could support resuming, if Microsoft actually implemented it :mipdodgy:

The same thing happens with Windows itself..

Lets say, you copy a file of 100mb from one folder to another. In the destination folder it would be created instantly a 100mb dummy file. Then while it would be tranfering, it would fill the empty 100mb file with the real content.

Now, if it was changed like the way ftp transfers work:

You start trasfering a file of 100mb, and it creates the first 100K already trasnfered.. and its goin like that

Instead of creating a 100mb file with nothing, it should be creating while trasnfering.. that way it would be resumed..
lets say: if you cancel in ftp, the incomplete file will be there.. even if its a movie file, you can watch teh first Mbs you downloaded, but in Windows way, if the trasnfer aint complete, it will just be deleted..

I think its pretty absurd windows itself doesnt have something like that.. but thats my opinion ofcourse
RE: [Suggestion] File Transfer Resume by RaceProUK on 03-08-2005 at 09:14 AM

But how often do you get problems when copying files on a WIndows machine compared to downloading a file?

RE: [Suggestion] File Transfer Resume by Dempsey on 03-08-2005 at 11:59 AM

ive had problem copying large files before, patically over a network like when my wireless connection drops :(

RE: [Suggestion] File Transfer Resume by chewy_rox on 03-13-2005 at 09:20 AM

yes if microsoft implimented the dummy file thing it would work great. imesh uses that feature so it cant be that hard to make

RE: [Suggestion] File Transfer Resume by dreamerboy on 09-18-2005 at 08:12 AM

Hey people !
No update about a resuming option in Messenger Plus ?
Because imo, its the ONLY thing that is missing now that the tabled chat will be implemented ( i heard that is it true btw ? )
Thanks
Dreamer

RE: [Suggestion] File Transfer Resume by hexel on 09-18-2005 at 08:48 AM

Well, there is already a plugin for that, so.. I think they didn't add the transfer resuming thing. Somebody from the testing team can confirm whether I'm wrong or right. :P
But yes, the newest feature in Plus! will be tabbed chat.