Shoutbox

Convert DVD files to .mpeg or .avi - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Convert DVD files to .mpeg or .avi (/showthread.php?tid=39672)

Convert DVD files to .mpeg or .avi by Caboose on 03-06-2005 at 08:37 PM

I'm looking for a program that can convert DVD files, such as .vob, to .mpeg or .avi files. I searched Google but I didn't find anything worthwhile. I would prefer if it was free as well. Any help is appreciated :)

RE: Convert DVD files to .mpeg or .avi by user27089 on 03-06-2005 at 08:38 PM

This is illegal and not possible without the use of screen recordings programs such as camtasia 2.0...

wait, its not illegal if you have the dvd :p. but to share it would be

unless you're from canada :rolleyes:

RE: Convert DVD files to .mpeg or .avi by Vilkku on 03-06-2005 at 08:43 PM

So if you have it, you are only going to use it on your own comp AND you live in Canada (:P), Camtasia is still the only way?

RE: Convert DVD files to .mpeg or .avi by Caboose on 03-06-2005 at 08:46 PM

I live in Canada AND I own the DVD AND I'm only going to use it on my own comp :)

RE: Convert DVD files to .mpeg or .avi by user27089 on 03-06-2005 at 08:52 PM

Camtasia Website

RE: Convert DVD files to .mpeg or .avi by ~INVASION~ on 03-06-2005 at 08:58 PM

quote:
Originally posted by traxor
unless you're from canada

go canada w00t!!:banana:
im sure theres something that can do it ^o)

but yes camstasia can do it but it costs 300$ :S and only i think 30 day trial :)
RE: Convert DVD files to .mpeg or .avi by Anubis on 03-06-2005 at 09:01 PM

Everything you will need to know about this can be found at www.doom9.org. There's a program called Gordian Knot that contains everything, that website also has many guides.

RE: Convert DVD files to .mpeg or .avi by Caboose on 03-06-2005 at 09:03 PM

Hhhmmm... Camtasia only allows me to record the screen, or import video files. I want to import a .vob file (which isn't supported), and convert it from there. Recording the screen is too annoying :S

[EDIT]: Screw it. Too much work for me to put up with :(

RE: Convert DVD files to .mpeg or .avi by Wabz on 03-07-2005 at 03:01 AM

Here  This program seems to do the business.  Although Copyright theft is a crime in most countrys.  But if your just making digital copys of your DVDs who am I to judge

RE: Convert DVD files to .mpeg or .avi by Caboose on 03-07-2005 at 04:13 AM

Thanks, that works great! :D

And like I said... I live in Canada, it's my own movie, and I'm keeping it on my own comp. If anyone sees a problem with THAT, then... well, they need some serious therapy or something o.O

RE: Convert DVD files to .mpeg or .avi by slipstream3d on 03-07-2005 at 04:15 AM

I second www.doom9.org and Gordian Knot. Once you figure it out it works wonders. Apparently there is now an AutoGK (automated gordian knot) package also available, although I haven't tried it. If it works well, that's the way to go for sure.

If you're interested in making backup copies of DVDs, DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink (both free) work very well. (of course, you'll have to have a DVD writer ;))

PS making VOB files into another format isn't illegal unless whatever it is is copyrighted. And even if it is copyrighted, you're allowed to make a backup copy of your own stuff.

RE: Convert DVD files to .mpeg or .avi by The_Thief on 03-07-2005 at 03:30 PM

It's still Illegal but if you wanted to burn the DVD to your PC using DVD Shrink then convert it to mpeg or avi using DVD Decrypter I think

RE: Convert DVD files to .mpeg or .avi by slipstream3d on 03-08-2005 at 01:33 AM

I repeat, it is NOT ILLEGAL to encode VOB files to another format. This is all a VOB file is:

"A VOB (Video OBject) contains several streams multiplexed together: Video, Audio and Subtitles. Video is MPEG-2, audio can be AC-3, Linear PCM, Mpeg 2 multichannel or MPEG1 layer2 2 channel audio." (http://filext.com/detaillist.php?extdetail=VOB). I can make VOB files of my own stuff and burn them to a DVD, being a VOB file on a DVD doesn't automatically make it illegal to copy. It could easily be my home videos or whatever the heck I want it to.

As for copying commerical DVDs, this is STILL NOT ILLEGAL UNDER NORTH AMERICAN COPYRIGHT LAW (USA and Canada). You ARE allowed ONE COPY of anything copyrighted you own, for backup purposes. This includes decrypting a DVD to your hard drive, making an AVI file of it, and burning it to a CD.

I cannot find the Canadian legislation, but here is the American:

" ...United States Copyright Law of 1976, as amended..."
"Copyrighted software may be copied without the copyright owner's permission only in accordance with the Copyright Act. Section 117 of the Act permits making an archival back-up copy."

DVD movies are considered "software" for the DVD player, software being defined by Dictionary.com as "The instructions executed by a computer, as opposed to the physical device on which they run".

In no way is making a single backup copy of a DVD (or anything else copyrighted you own that runs in an electronic device) illegal.

Oh, and you've got the software mixed up. You rip a DVD to the computer with DVD Decrypter, then use DVD Shrink to reencode a smaller DVD file (does not create .avi or .mpg) and then burn the file to a blank disc. Gordian Knot, on the other hand, will create .avi output files (using the DivX codec).

RE: Convert DVD files to .mpeg or .avi by ShawnZ on 03-08-2005 at 03:13 AM

Actually, you can just put the disk in, open DVD Shrink, click backup, and it does it all automaticily:)

RE: Convert DVD files to .mpeg or .avi by Fredzz on 03-10-2005 at 12:45 AM

[Image: google.gif] You could find that in google. it would take 5seconds with the right keywords :dodgy:

Google is your friend!

RE: Convert DVD files to .mpeg or .avi by Caboose on 03-10-2005 at 02:10 AM

If you were to read my first post, you would find that I already said I searched Google but to no avail.

Please read at least a bit of the thread before posting :)

RE: Convert DVD files to .mpeg or .avi by M73A on 03-10-2005 at 07:32 AM

max dvd to mpeg converter is quite gd....