Shoutbox

Permission for "Close Thread" - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: Forum & Website (/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+----- Thread: Permission for "Close Thread" (/showthread.php?tid=39851)

Permission for "Close Thread" by Pr0xY on 03-09-2005 at 06:21 PM

Can we (regular, non forum staff members) have permission to close our own threads if we want?  I don't see why we shouldn't be able to...

RE: Permission for "Close Thread" by toddy on 03-09-2005 at 06:23 PM

:dodgy:

its been asked before,  can't remember why it was a NO :P

RE: Permission for "Close Thread" by user27089 on 03-09-2005 at 06:47 PM

I don't think that you should be able to, it may have good information in there, and who are you to decide to close the thread, people may be having for or whatever, and it may be informative, its down to the forum staff in the end to be honest :-/.

RE: Permission for "Close Thread" by .blade// on 03-09-2005 at 06:50 PM

I believe it's not possible bcz the forum system only allows mods and admins to do it...unless WDZ wants to code something for once :refuck:

;)

RE: Permission for "Close Thread" by Pr0xY on 03-09-2005 at 07:06 PM

quote:
Originally posted by blade
I believe it's not possible bcz the forum system only allows mods and admins to do it...unless WDZ wants to code something for once :refuck:
No, all he has to do is set what things the user has access too (Ithink).  We are already allowed to delete our own threads, so why would closing it be any worse?

RE: Permission for "Close Thread" by Menthix on 03-09-2005 at 07:15 PM

No, it's stupid. If you're gonna close your topic, then why on earth do you post it on a discussion board in the first place!? And when somebody closes a topic and people still want to reply they will just open a new topic and continue discussion there, causing topic chaos. When you want your topic close, just click the report button on your own starting post and request a topic close and have a good reason in your report message.

I think topic close should always be something which only can be done by forum team. Forums are discussion boards, closing topics only end discussions. Start your own blog if you want to post messages without people replying to it.

RE: Permission for "Close Thread" by WDZ on 03-09-2005 at 07:20 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Pr0xY
No, all he has to do is set what things the user has access too (Ithink).
No, only moderators can open and close threads in MyBB RC2. There's no option to let regular users do it. I'd have to modify the code.

I think one problem that's come up before is this: what if you post a dodgy thread, a mod closes it, then you're allowed to open it again? It makes sense that if you're allowed to close a thread, you should be allowed to open it too, in case you made a mistake or changed your mind.

Also, there are some differences between deleting and closing a thread. Most importantly, the posts remain in the database and visible, but their posters can't even edit or delete them. I dunno if non-moderators should have that kind of control. :-/

BTW, feel free to use the report button as MenthiX said.
RE: Permission for "Close Thread" by L. Coyote on 03-09-2005 at 07:43 PM

I agree with not being able to close it. (Y)

It should be a s/mod/admin thing, thus, we just report it.

RE: Permission for "Close Thread" by .blade// on 03-09-2005 at 07:43 PM

Well, WDZ, it could be set up so the person can open/close the thread UNLESS someone with a higher ranking open/closed it.

And this MAY be a valid option because sometimes topics start out valid and just drift down a bad road.

RE: Permission for "Close Thread" by fluffy_lobster on 03-09-2005 at 08:11 PM

If your really hate your thread, you can delete the whole thing by deleting the first post.

* fluffy_lobster glares at Dane

RE: Permission for "Close Thread" by Concord Dawn on 03-09-2005 at 08:14 PM

quote:
Well, WDZ, it could be set up so the person can open/close the thread UNLESS someone with a higher ranking open/closed it.

And this MAY be a valid option because sometimes topics start out valid and just drift down a bad road.

For once, I'd have to agree with you blade. I think that having the regular users close their own topics unless a s/mod/admin comes along would probably be a good comprimise.
RE: Permission for "Close Thread" by Pr0xY on 03-09-2005 at 09:00 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Pr0xY
We are already allowed to delete our own threads
quote:
Originally posted by fluffy_lobster
If your really hate your thread, you can delete the whole thing by deleting the first post.

* fluffy_lobster glares at Dane
Well aware of this already... :P

Alright, MenthiX and WDZ, what you said makes sense.  I guess I didn't think about it like that before I posted this thread.  :undecided:
RE: Permission for "Close Thread" by jren207 on 03-09-2005 at 09:02 PM

It's an easy way out of things. If it gets to tough, then you just close it... ^o)

i think it should be left to an admin/mod/smod, that's their job and they can decide whether of not to close it.

RE: Permission for "Close Thread" by surfichris on 03-09-2005 at 09:19 PM

quote:
Okay, so for that we have to add another column to the threads table and then store the user id of who closed it. That is more work and we know who doesn't like work :refuck:

Now, if at all the user should just be able to close, not open, their own threads.

I think this is a pretty bad idea here because you're going to have people closing their own threads for no real reason blocking discussion.
RE: Permission for "Close Thread" by saralk on 03-09-2005 at 09:35 PM

I don't think you should be able to close threads.

Furthermore, I dont think you should be able to delete a whole topic, its ok deleting a single post, but it can be really irritating to find that a topic you were following was deleted because the thread turned against the topic starter.

RE: Permission for "Close Thread" by Pr0xY on 03-11-2005 at 02:33 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Chris Boulton
Now, if at all the user should just be able to close, not open, their own threads.
Yeah thats what my original request was.  I do think its a bad idea to have permission to open threads. 

Ohwell, I tried... :P
RE: Permission for "Close Thread" by John Anderton on 03-11-2005 at 06:25 PM

imo report is the best option. If u feel the thread is going out of hand then report the thread and tell the mods to close it :P but closing ....... nah too much power cause then ppl could misuse it in many wayz. I can think of 2 right now so ... NO is my answer :)

RE: Permission for "Close Thread" by mwe99 on 03-15-2005 at 04:56 PM

yeah i disagree, mods should close the thread when they feel the question/topic has been answered... If you close your own thread then other people might have had something else to say and open another same topic with the same name so yeah mods should close the thread when they like :)

RE: Permission for "Close Thread" by Pr0xY on 03-15-2005 at 07:43 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mwe99
yeah i disagree, mods should close the thread when they feel the question/topic has been answered... If you close your own thread then other people might have had something else to say and open another same topic with the same name so yeah mods should close the thread when they like :)
Yeah we astablished that already.  No need to post in old threads.