Shoutbox

***False Alarm*** Swizzler Trojan Horse In Messenger Plus3??? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! Bug Reports (/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+----- Thread: ***False Alarm*** Swizzler Trojan Horse In Messenger Plus3??? (/showthread.php?tid=39939)

***False Alarm*** Swizzler Trojan Horse In Messenger Plus3??? by Universe on 03-11-2005 at 04:56 AM

I have just started using Messenger Plus (Version 3.25.106) and my virus software picked up the swizzler trojan horse whilst I was installing the program. Is this a recognised problem or do I have a dodgy download. It was downloaded from the Messenger Plus site. I would be interested if anybody else has had this problem? 

RE: Swizzler Trojan Horse In Messenger Plus3??? by Concord Dawn on 03-11-2005 at 04:59 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Universe
I have just started using Messenger Plus (Version 3.25.106) and my virus software picked up the swizzler trojan horse whilst I was installing the program. Is this a recognised problem or do I have a dodgy download. It was downloaded from the Messenger Plus site. I would be interested if anybody else has had this problem?

What antivirus are you using?
RE: Swizzler Trojan Horse In Messenger Plus3??? by J.J on 03-11-2005 at 04:59 AM

There are no Trojans in messnger plus! your virus scanner must be playing up...

RE: RE: Swizzler Trojan Horse In Messenger Plus3??? by Universe on 03-11-2005 at 05:04 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Chaotic_Shield

What antivirus are you using?

I am using the AVG 7 Virus software.......I tried to install it twice and got the same message. It installs into the the C2 Media file. Is it the anti virus software thats playing up.

Thanks for the help guys

RE: Swizzler Trojan Horse In Messenger Plus3??? by Concord Dawn on 03-11-2005 at 05:48 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Universe
I am using the AVG 7 Virus software.......I tried to install it twice and got the same message. It installs into the the C2 Media file. Is it the anti virus software thats playing up.

Thanks for the help guys

It is, there is an OPTIONAL sponsor program that comes with Plus! so that Patchou, the creator, can get some fiancial compensation for his hard work programming Plus!. The sponsor is completely optional and instructions to remove can be found here.
RE: Swizzler Trojan Horse In Messenger Plus3??? by Purity on 03-11-2005 at 06:00 AM

It is not a virus, your anti-virus detects it as malware, it really is adware, but it is optional to have when you install it....:)

But still, every time you click on an ad with the C2 media, The creator of plus (Patchou) earns money for creating the program, he uses the money to support plus and such....:D

RE: Swizzler Trojan Horse In Messenger Plus3??? by Tochjo on 03-11-2005 at 03:34 PM

Note about Trojan detection has been made especially to give more information about the false antivirus warnings; perhaps you'd like to read it for more information :)

RE: Swizzler Trojan Horse In Messenger Plus3??? by Universe on 03-11-2005 at 05:02 PM

Thanks for the advice guys.

I've since had a look through some of the info on malware etc. and now understand a little more about it. As with anything as soon as the words 'virus' pop up your head goes into panic mode...:S and rational thought goes out of the window.

But your helpful words have put my mind at rest...Thanks again.

RE: ***False Alarm*** Swizzler Trojan Horse In Messenger Plus3??? by Patchou on 03-12-2005 at 07:27 PM

quote:
As with anything as soon as the words 'virus' pop up your head goes into panic mode
Unfortunately, that's what many anti-virus/anti-spyware companies are trying to provoke nowadays. Your reaction is completely normal, the problem is that some companies want to frighten you so that you kep on using their product.
RE: ***False Alarm*** Swizzler Trojan Horse In Messenger Plus3??? by jren207 on 03-13-2005 at 01:22 AM

just think that if we were all using linux (and msn messenger and msgplus! was linux compatible :P), then the antiv-virus companies wouldn't be raking in the money...

RE: ***False Alarm*** Swizzler Trojan Horse In Messenger Plus3??? by Patchou on 03-13-2005 at 05:55 PM

money is not a concern here, we're talking about public image.. many of the softwares that are "detecting" so many "threats" nowadays are free, and that's why you can't do anything about them... they're supposed to help users, and for free... anyone who opposes them is just an evil b*****d in the eyes of the public. When half of the software you'll try to install will start failing because of those programs, things will probably start to get moving but for now, many developers (like myself) just have to sit and wait, hoping their software won't be dead by then.