Shoutbox

AIM support... - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: Scripting (/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+----- Forum: Plug-Ins (/forumdisplay.php?fid=28)
+------ Thread: AIM support... (/showthread.php?tid=40029)

AIM support... by noxs on 03-13-2005 at 01:03 AM

Hello,

I dont know if this is the right forum to ask, but since I know Patchou and the whole team of MSGPlus is just very good I was hoping somebody could answer this.

Since I love MSN Messenger but a lot of people use AIM Messenger aswell, I was wondering if it wouldnt be possible to do a plugin to add support for AIM within MSN Messenger/Messenger Plus.

If this is possible Im actually also even willing to pay for it if necessary. I think many people are looking for this and I hope someone can please reply.

Thank you!
(Y)

RE: AIM support... by lopardo on 03-13-2005 at 02:32 AM

That would be a really huuuuge work, I don't think anyone will do it.

RE: AIM support... by aNILEator on 03-13-2005 at 10:54 AM

Hav you ever heard of Trillian or IM2?

These are Multi-Client Messengers

They can connect to AIM, Yahoo, ICQ, MSN and IRC

Trillian offer a Pro (pay for software) and Basic version (free software)

Whereas IM2 is free

I find IM2 to be the better client however the latest official release (1.5 at time of writing {1.5.9b public released beta build also} )
has some bugs with it I suggest waiting a short time untill 1.6 is released and their skin section is online.
If you like the Skin MSN Messenger has, they used to have a MSN style skin for it.

You can still download 1.4 and download the MSN-Style skin.

But as Lopardo stated, i am sure this would be an almost impossible task for MSN Messenger to handle.

for one thing you would have to re-code the display picture to a different size because AIM buddy icons are not 96 x 96

This would be a collosal task, the closet thing available other than the multi-client messengers is the MS Outlook addon that AOL released the other week allowing you to send AIM messages to contacts in your list associated with an AIM address.

RE: AIM support... by Hank on 03-13-2005 at 10:57 AM

i dont think any1 would do it.. its basically Microsoft Opening up there Servers for every1 to use i think there was talk ages ago of AIM an MSN  being able to use the same servers or soemthing,, i think i bought the thread up last year sometime.

RE: AIM support... by UnduTheGun on 03-13-2005 at 11:16 AM

Wasn't microsoft going to soport AIM for the "Instambul" thingy? =/

RE: AIM support... by Hank on 03-13-2005 at 11:20 AM

there was talk of it, but thats all it was.. nothing really was put on the table to have this actual done,

RE: AIM support... by Anubis on 03-13-2005 at 11:57 AM

quote:
Originally posted by UnduTheGun
Wasn't microsoft going to soport AIM
A while back Microsoft was having talks with AOL, to talk about making their two IM services compatable with each other. It wouldn't be easy to make a client that can constantly add new features and still support both services. There was much talk of "When the two IM giants talk". I haven't heard much about their talks recently, but I'm sure something will come in the long-term.
As Fukafly said your only current option is a Multi Client Messenger.
A plugin can not do this because plugins (or even Plus for that matter) does not change the way that MSN Messenger connects to the server. Plus (in the new 3.50 version) can connect itself to another server, but it can not make MSN Messenger connect to another server, let alone a whole new IM service.
RE: AIM support... by noxs on 03-13-2005 at 12:23 PM

Fukafly:: Ofcourse I heard of Trillian and IM2 and I use Trillian 3.1 at the moment, but it would be a lot easier of there was a plugin (like in trillian and IM2) that just adds AIM support.

If trillian can do it, why cant we do it? as a plugin for MSGPlus

RE: AIM support... by Anubis on 03-13-2005 at 12:28 PM

quote:
Originally posted by noxs
If trillian can do it, why cant we do it? as a plugin for MSGPlus
Trillian is a seporate client, it can connect to whatever it wants to. Messenger Plus doesn't alter the way that MSN Messenger connects to places, if it did, this would be acomplishable. So if Messenger Plus can't do it, a plugin can't.
RE: AIM support... by matty on 03-13-2005 at 09:22 PM

I don't want to code an AIM Client but I found an open source client that has support for AIM. Now I emailed the person to ask if they would mind me porting their code onto a Messenger Plus! Plugin. If all goes well with that then I will port it over once I am done with my File Organizer Plugin.

RE: AIM support... by aNILEator on 03-13-2005 at 11:14 PM

quote:
Originally posted by noxs
Fukafly:: Ofcourse I heard of Trillian and IM2

Alright mate, no need to get rash, Sounded like you were having a go, I was just making a helpful post for any would be new-comer :)

Matty, I don't see how you can intergrate that plugin into Messenger's Contact List, I don't want a seperate box for it like a button you click to load AIM client :S
RE: AIM support... by noxs on 03-14-2005 at 08:36 AM

Wow that would be great! :) You will make a lot of people happy by doing that. If you need any support on this, do not hesitate to contact me!

RE: AIM support... by matty on 03-14-2005 at 12:50 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Fukafly
Matty, I don't see how you can intergrate that plugin into Messenger's Contact List, I don't want a seperate box for it like a button you click to load AIM client
That is the only way to do it weather you like it or not :P HAHAHAHA!!!
RE: AIM support... by noxs on 03-14-2005 at 01:07 PM

If I am right it should be possible to do it as an added contact list beneath the other one or something like that, right Matty?

RE: AIM support... by noxs on 03-14-2005 at 09:18 PM

Yes Urbaned, very good idea!

RE: AIM support... by mwe99 on 03-14-2005 at 09:44 PM

Wouldn't the tab link to the actual AIM program though instead of like an add on?

RE: AIM support... by noxs on 03-14-2005 at 09:45 PM

Noop, it would become an add-on!

RE: AIM support... by (CyBeRDuDe) on 03-14-2005 at 09:51 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Urbaned
It's possible to use those tags in the left side?
If so, create a link for the AIM plugin on it.
Like:

This is infact possible.. Would just requiere somebody to make a web based AIM client.. If this already exist then give us a tip (would properly need to be a unoffical port, since I doubt that AOL would want to port their web based service(if they have one) into a MSN Messenger compatible version) othen we would need to ask tem if you would make one that is compatible with MSN Messenger Tabs wich I don't think would be a big task... Or maybe someone here on the forums or Matty could do it... Then just use SPNG 2.2 (not released yet, but will soon) and use the Tab Manager to get this AIM port in your tabs..
I don't like this solution, I hate using the tabs and porting everything into them, would be more professional and hardcore if we could get the AIM contacts directly on out contact list... But this is the best solution as far as I can see concerning this problem... OR if people were willing to use a proxy for their MSN (Don't know if that is doable today for MSN 7, or at least I think it is if you use some sock Hooking as MD does) then we could get contacts directly into our contact list... I suddenly would think so...
Did I make any sense?
RE: AIM support... by mwe99 on 03-14-2005 at 09:54 PM

yup lol

aim web = hard to create

gonna be a HUGE task to create it in MSN

better if AIM contacts can be used on MSN

Summed up :) i think...

RE: AIM support... by riahc4 on 03-14-2005 at 11:41 PM

I think its possible with Tabs to use AIM thru MSN's client......

Search Mess.....

RE: AIM support... by aNILEator on 04-22-2005 at 01:00 PM

icq seems fucked up for me i keep getting error on all their web pages and that dodgy php/javascript link they have to sed a message to you from the web :)

RE: AIM support... by Raven89 on 04-22-2005 at 06:46 PM

Aim quick buddy. The newest aim web client is AIM Express but it uses some javascript to open stuff in new windows so I had some problems gettin' it to work in a tab. However the older version AIM Quick Buddy is java based and works in a tab. It doesnt have as many features but hey you can chat.

RE: AIM support... by zeus6996 on 04-23-2005 at 08:19 PM

:)
                             8-) Two questions: 8-)

:o -If someone made this so called add on would it be able to have features from MSG plus attatched to it...? :o

^o) -Also, is there a plug in for Trillian that is like the equivilant of a 'Closed window notifier'? ^o)