Shoutbox

Removing Avatar/Sigs - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: Forum & Website (/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+----- Thread: Removing Avatar/Sigs (/showthread.php?tid=40038)

Removing Avatar/Sigs by NiteMare on 03-13-2005 at 05:59 AM

you know what really gets to me, when forum admins remove your Avatar or sig. and don't tell you why, or evern who removed it so you can't ask them, i think when they remove it they should tell you why ther was a problem with it, so you don't do it again!

RE: Removing Avatar/Sigs by user44571 on 03-13-2005 at 06:02 AM

well if you understand the rules you shouldnt need to be told

RE: Removing Avatar/Sigs by Ahmad on 03-13-2005 at 06:05 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Calvin
well if you understand the rules you shouldnt need to be told
Hardly anyone reads the rules just like hardly anyone reads the license agreements.

RE: Removing Avatar/Sigs by WDZ on 03-13-2005 at 06:07 AM

quote:
Originally posted by NiteMare
or evern who removed it so you can't ask them
If you send me a private message, I'll find out who removed it and let you know.

In this case, I removed your avatar because you're not allowed to use the beta tester image as your avatar. It could be misleading.
RE: Removing Avatar/Sigs by NiteMare on 03-13-2005 at 06:17 AM

oh ok, i'll modify it so its not so misleading

i think for issues like that, where is just a matter of opinion, or perspective, the PM should be sent out to the person :)

RE: Removing Avatar/Sigs by WDZ on 03-13-2005 at 06:45 AM

quote:
i think for issues like that, where is just a matter of opinion, or perspective, the PM should be sent out to the person
Well, that would be quite a bit of extra work for the moderators, and I don't think they should be expected to do that, because they don't get paid or anything. :p

Also, the reasons for removing avatars are often pretty obvious. :^)
RE: Removing Avatar/Sigs by .Roy on 03-13-2005 at 10:20 AM

I agree that we should be messaged when we get avatar removed.. So we know what we did wrong. So i vote yes..

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
quote:
i think for issues like that, where is just a matter of opinion, or perspective, the PM should be sent out to the person
Well, that would be quite a bit of extra work for the moderators, and I don't think they should be expected to do that, because they don't get paid or anything. :p

Also, the reasons for removing avatars are often pretty obvious. :^)
Its not that hard to send a pm

RE: Removing Avatar/Sigs by saralk on 03-13-2005 at 11:21 AM

usually if they remove the sig, they say "Signature removed by moderator (reason)", so there is not really much confusion there.

Maybe there could be different avatar removed images.

for example, there could be 5 avatars or something, with general reasons for removing the avatar. i.e.

- Too big

- Filesize too big

- Offensive

etc...

example
[Image: attachment.php?pid=403215]

RE: Removing Avatar/Sigs by user27089 on 03-13-2005 at 11:23 AM

Thats a good idea saral, it wouldn't take too much extra work either, and I'm sure that several of the users would just make the images for the admins to use, its hardly any space aswell, as you can see its like 2.33kb dz, you should take this into serious consideration, it would make people understand what not to do more.

RE: Removing Avatar/Sigs by John Anderton on 03-13-2005 at 11:24 AM

I think no 8-) If u have a problem then u could ask dz via pm. U should know the rules so most of the time u can figure it out. Once my sig was removed cause it was 160 kb ...... the mod was kind enough to state that cause then it was clear what i needed to do.
If none of the 2 apply to u (not in the rules n no reason is stated) then u could ask dz.
So my answer is no

RE: Removing Avatar/Sigs by user27089 on 03-13-2005 at 11:29 AM

In signatures they usually put the reason why it was removed though, putting it in avatars is pretty logical aswell in my opinion.

RE: Removing Avatar/Sigs by -dt- on 03-13-2005 at 11:32 AM

blah I dont really care but  dz could add a few option boxes next to the remove avatar in the admin thing and have them say something like
"offensive"
"filesize too big"
"size to big"
"misc"
and then next time the user goes into the usercp it says one of them :P well its easier for the mods to do then a pm.

RE: Removing Avatar/Sigs by Tochjo on 03-13-2005 at 11:53 AM

Perhaps a system where a moderator can enter the reason for removal, and then a (standard) PM gets send to the member with the specified reason.

RE: Removing Avatar/Sigs by .Roy on 03-13-2005 at 12:54 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Tochjo
Perhaps a system where a moderator can enter the reason for removal, and then a (standard) PM gets send to the member with the specified reason.
Exactly what i was going to suggest.
But i think saralK's suggestion is  also great because its really simple.. But maybe the reason shouldnt be known to the public for private reasons..

RE: Removing Avatar/Sigs by Millenium_edition on 03-13-2005 at 01:00 PM

or replace the avatar caption with the reason why you removed it.

RE: Removing Avatar/Sigs by NiteMare on 03-13-2005 at 11:25 PM

the people taht are saying that we should know the rule in the first place are forgeting on thing, we uploaded it, and the admin had to remove it, thous we obviously didn't know the rule

voted Yes..

RE: Removing Avatar/Sigs by L. Coyote on 03-13-2005 at 11:36 PM

quote:
the people taht are saying that we should know the rule in the first place are forgeting on thing, we uploaded it, and the admin had to remove it, thous we obviously didn't know the rule
That's why they're saying you should know the rules.

In any case, saralk's suggestion was the best, so far. :P Millenium's also good (I bet WDZ will like that one instead of the "avatar removed - [reason]" one :P).
RE: Removing Avatar/Sigs by WDZ on 03-14-2005 at 03:21 AM

I think the idea of different images is kinda cool. :p

I might try making them, unless someone else wants to. They should look nicer than that example though. Re-make the whole thing if you have to... it's not that hard. I'm willing to set up a little drop-down menu for the moderators to select a reason.

RE: Removing Avatar/Sigs by CookieRevised on 03-14-2005 at 04:22 AM

In the past, similar avatars like your new one (the no-sign above the beta tester sticker) have been removed also....

The rule was/is: the official stickers may not be used, in any form in your avatar and/or signature.

RE: Removing Avatar/Sigs by L. Coyote on 03-14-2005 at 04:27 AM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
I think the idea of different images is kinda cool. :p

I might try making them, unless someone else wants to. They should look nicer than that example though. Re-make the whole thing if you have to... it's not that hard. I'm willing to set up a little drop-down menu for the moderators to select a reason.
:P I believe my powers of prediction are not so well now.

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
The rule was/is: the official stickers may not be used, in any form in your avatar and/or signature.
Sounds fair. However, many people now are using them, including edited ones (like the pancake, spanish spammer, and others that replace "tester" or "translator" with their nicks or other words). Is that the same?
RE: Removing Avatar/Sigs by WDZ on 03-14-2005 at 04:27 AM

quote:
In the past, similar avatars like your new one (the no-sign above the beta tester sticker) have been removed also....

Oh, I didn't know that. :p Maybe I shouldn't have ignored your report... (a)

Well, I don't see the harm in having an avatar that clearly says you're NOT a beta tester or translator. :-/
RE: Removing Avatar/Sigs by Omar on 03-14-2005 at 04:40 AM

In the spanish forums we use the system of 3 different images when we remove any avatar... so the user at least have some idea on why the avatar/sig has been removed...

1. When the filesize is too big...
[Image: avatar-retirado-bytes.png]
2. When the image is too big (in pixels)
[Image: avatar-retirado-dimensiones.png]
3. Bad content

[Image: avatar-retirado-contenido.png]

Same story when we remove a signature... :P

Firma retirada por rebasar el tamaņo permitido (Filesize too big...)
Firma retirada por superar las dimensiones permitidas (Image too big...)
Firma retirada por contenido no admisible(Bad Content)

EDIT: Im not sure if KeyStorm or Choli coded that... still...it works just fine...

RE: Removing Avatar/Sigs by Purity on 03-14-2005 at 04:47 AM

We need something like that....

RE: Removing Avatar/Sigs by WDZ on 03-14-2005 at 04:51 AM

WTF... the Spanish forums have more advanced systems than us? :o :p

:spam:

That would be funny if I copied your Spanish images and used them here... :rofl:

RE: Removing Avatar/Sigs by Omar on 03-14-2005 at 04:54 AM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
WTF... the Spanish forums have more advanced systems than us?
:refuck:
quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
That would be funny if I copied your Spanish images and used them here...
Meh.... Spanish will soon replace english as the most used language in the US... :P
RE: Removing Avatar/Sigs by L. Coyote on 03-14-2005 at 05:00 AM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
We are superior beings. :refuck:
RE: RE: Removing Avatar/Sigs by CookieRevised on 03-14-2005 at 05:03 AM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
quote:

Oh, I didn't know that. :p Maybe I shouldn't have ignored your report... (a)

Well, I don't see the harm in having an avatar that clearly says you're NOT a beta tester or translator. :-/

in the previous discussion about this (long time ago), it was decided that using the literal stickers wasn't allowed, in any form. Even if it is clear what is meant... Thus including: "official tester" and "translator".

(note @ Omar: 'in literal form'. so yeah, those stickers based upon the officials are allowed, like those edited "official pancake" or whatever :D)

The problem was that if you allowed one, where do you draw the line... I'm not saying that it must be removed by all means, just stating what was decided long time ago.

[SPAM]
quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
I think we just found a way to get WDZ out of his chair and stop watching TV.... :D ;) j/k
[/SPAM]
RE: RE: RE: Removing Avatar/Sigs by Omar on 03-14-2005 at 05:28 AM

quote:
(note @ Omar: 'in literal form'. so yeah, those stickers based upon the officials are allowed, like those edited "official pancake" or whatever :D)

Yeah... I remember [Image: Official-spam-mer.gif]
:D
RE: Removing Avatar/Sigs by saralk on 03-14-2005 at 09:03 AM

quote:
Cool, i'm making a difference

hem hem i'm making a difference :P

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
They should look nicer than that example though.

oi! I spent about 30 seconds making that image, maybe some leet image maker could make one (ala blade 8-))
RE: Removing Avatar/Sigs by Pr0xY on 03-14-2005 at 02:46 PM

quote:
Originally posted by saralk
quote:
Cool, i'm making a difference

hem hem i'm making a difference :P
*Pr0xY slaps saralk around with a large trout...

You both are, so stop being arrogant... :P

RE: Removing Avatar/Sigs by saralk on 03-14-2005 at 09:20 PM

i thaught the :p at the end would signify that i wasn't being serious. although i was making the bigger difference... take note proxy :p

RE: Removing Avatar/Sigs by King For A Day on 03-14-2005 at 09:31 PM

i once got somthing removed on another forum they didnt say why or even tell me theyd done it so i assumed it wa sa problem and put it back and next time i went i was banned, they didnt evn tell me that :P

RE: Removing Avatar/Sigs by mwe99 on 03-14-2005 at 09:41 PM

I voted yes and think it would be a good idea for them to send you a short PM about why it was removed, thats if the mod's wouldnt mind - i don't wanna create extra work for them though

RE: Removing Avatar/Sigs by *Saint* on 03-14-2005 at 09:45 PM

i saw yes because if its not your account you should tell them why you changed something

RE: RE: Removing Avatar/Sigs by mwe99 on 03-14-2005 at 09:59 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Saint
i saw yes because if its not your account you should tell them why you changed something

true but they do have to moderate and if your avatar/sigs offend or breach copyright they have to do something about it and not always possible to PM everyone but would be a effective and good idea to incorporate in the forum :)