Shoutbox

Can We Buy Windows Media Center?? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Can We Buy Windows Media Center?? (/showthread.php?tid=40040)

Can We Buy Windows Media Center?? by albert on 03-13-2005 at 06:18 AM

Can we actully buy windows media center and install it on a pc..? or did I just not well understood the real system of WMC ?? Can anyone explain plz? thx!

RE: Can We Buy Windows Media Center?? by NiteMare on 03-13-2005 at 06:21 AM

i think what your refuring to is Windows XP: Media Center Edition

this is just a variation of  windows XP, like Home Edition or Professional Edition, and you can buy it if not in stores, then from the microsoft Web Site

RE: Can We Buy Windows Media Center?? by albert on 03-13-2005 at 06:24 AM

:| i thought it was some kinda program to make it better.. :|

so what's with the tv stuff and all?

RE: Can We Buy Windows Media Center?? by NiteMare on 03-13-2005 at 06:27 AM

i don't know, personaly i haven't seen the commersials for it, but my parents just bought a PC with it

apperently, it helps you connect things like digital camaras, and TVs and other media equipment to your PC, but don't take my word on it, i just skimed through the book a bit, theres more information here http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/mediacenter/default.mspx

RE: Can We Buy Windows Media Center?? by albert on 03-13-2005 at 06:29 AM

aight thx for the info, just one question, does it seem better than the pro version??

RE: Can We Buy Windows Media Center?? by NiteMare on 03-13-2005 at 06:32 AM

i've only used it for a few minutes, and can't really say, but to my eye, it had a slightly shinny look to the task bar, i don't know if that was something my dad did or if thats the way it suppost to look

RE: Can We Buy Windows Media Center?? by Caboose on 03-13-2005 at 06:33 AM

Each version has its strengths. Home is mainly for the average consumer, Pro is mainly for businesses, and Media Center is for people who have a lot of music, videos, etc. and want to play it on their TV or home stereo equipment.

quote:
Originally posted by NiteMare
i've only used it for a few minutes, and can't really say, but to my eye, it had a slightly shinny look to the task bar, i don't know if that was something my dad did or if thats the way it suppost to look

That's the new 'Royale' theme that's on by default :)
RE: Can We Buy Windows Media Center?? by NiteMare on 03-13-2005 at 06:37 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Caboose

That's the new 'Royale' theme that's on by default :)

is there a way to get that on XP Pro?, i kinda like it
RE: Can We Buy Windows Media Center?? by Caboose on 03-13-2005 at 06:40 AM

Yup, download & install WindowBlinds, then download the Royale WindowBlinds skin from Wincustomize.com

RE: Can We Buy Windows Media Center?? by Ahmad on 03-13-2005 at 07:00 AM

quote:
Originally posted by NiteMare
* NiteMare shudders at the mention of windowsblinds

i have bad memorys with windows plinds

any other way?
http://geekswithblogs.net/jking/archive/2004/11/04/14345.aspx

RE: Can We Buy Windows Media Center?? by NiteMare on 03-13-2005 at 07:07 AM

perfect, thanks man (Y)

RE: Can We Buy Windows Media Center?? by *Saint* on 03-13-2005 at 08:17 AM

hey thanks for that shiny royale i really like it

RE: Can We Buy Windows Media Center?? by user27089 on 03-13-2005 at 09:37 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Saint
hey thanks for that shiny royale i really like it

I have something similar called modblue, its really nice, if anybody wants it then go here: (its for stylexp).
Mod-Blue Theme for StyleXP
RE: Can We Buy Windows Media Center?? by .Roy on 03-13-2005 at 10:27 AM

I really really like the Royale I will be sure to add it when i get home.. Thanks a lot for the link :-)

RE: Can We Buy Windows Media Center?? by albert on 03-13-2005 at 11:06 PM

hey thx for the little skin, rlly is nice :D

but back to the thread subject.. why is it you connot buy that windows? neither on the net or in stores..? if you wanna buy stm it says you gotta buy a media centre pc.. *-)

RE: Can We Buy Windows Media Center?? by .blade// on 03-14-2005 at 04:43 PM

Windows XP: Media Center Edition is basically Windows XP Pro with a new theme, the addition of "Microsoft Plus!" and the fairly useless Media Center. I have it especially for the theme.

The Media Center is useless because most TV cards have their own software which is better than Media Center because MCE only lets you watch stuff you've recorded on the PC you recorded it on :|

Btw, this is the new theme:

[Image: attachment.php?pid=404459]

RE: Can We Buy Windows Media Center?? by mwe99 on 03-14-2005 at 04:50 PM

Well MS says "Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 is a new Windows XP operating system available only on Media Center personal computers. Because of its special hardware feature requirements" Well why don't they just sell it and put the details as Requirements on the box :S

RE: Can We Buy Windows Media Center?? by .blade// on 03-14-2005 at 04:51 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mwe99
Well MS says "Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 is a new Windows XP operating system available only on Media Center personal computers. Because of its special hardware feature requirements" Well why don't they just sell it and put the details as Requirements on the box :S

They do sell it.

You can run it on any computer, the "special requirements" are only if you want to watch TV on it:

Microsoft Windows: Media Center Edition 2005
RE: RE: Can We Buy Windows Media Center?? by mwe99 on 03-14-2005 at 04:53 PM

quote:
Originally posted by blade

They do sell it.

You can run it on any computer, the "special requirements" are only if you want to watch TV on it:

Microsoft Windows: Media Center Edition 2005

Surley it would just be cheaper to buy a tv card then and stay with windows XP ?
RE: Can We Buy Windows Media Center?? by .blade// on 03-14-2005 at 04:55 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mwe99
Surley it would just be cheaper to buy a tv card then and stay with windows XP ?

Yes. Like I said, they come with their own software, but if you're building a new PC then the funny thing is - MCE is actually cheaper than the other Windows versions.
RE: Can We Buy Windows Media Center?? by King For A Day on 03-14-2005 at 06:35 PM

from what i have seen its just a simple way for novice users to work a comp it makes every thing simple