Shoutbox

Earthquake !!! - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: General Chit Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+----- Thread: Earthquake !!! (/showthread.php?tid=40094)

Earthquake !!! by John Anderton on 03-14-2005 at 12:00 PM

There was an earthquake here in Bombay (mumbai) at about 3.47 local time. now it is 5.28 local time. neways it was 5.1 on the r. scale. The dodgy thing is that me and my family didnt feel a thing :dodgy: while ppl in south bombay were evacuating the building :dodgy:
this is the 4th eq that was felt by ppl in our city and yet not a thing was felt by any of out family members :dodgy: thats a good thing newayz cause nothing happened to us and i hope it stays that way :P

RE: Earthquake !!! by user27089 on 03-14-2005 at 12:16 PM

Thats really dodgy, how come you didn't feel it, I hope that everybody is okay, well anyway, I'm glad that I live where I am tbh. No earthquakes or anything :).

RE: Earthquake !!! by azn angel on 03-14-2005 at 02:06 PM

the other day there was an earthquake in south africa and various people felt it. i didnt though.. about 80 people needed shelter and i think 2 people died in mines

RE: Earthquake !!! by Pr0xY on 03-14-2005 at 02:39 PM

earthquakes suck, I'm glad I live far away from them... :p

RE: Earthquake !!! by user27089 on 03-14-2005 at 02:48 PM

[Image: 11997.world_plates.gif]

I live far away from any major plate-boundaries, which also means that I live far away from any volcanos or any volcanic activity, therefore, I am generally safe to such things as earthquakes, volcanoes, I'm also save against things such as tornadoes.

I'm safe against tornadoes etc. because the prevailing winds come from the south-west, this is the caribbean, where there are generally a lot of hurricanes or whatever, and because of the large amount of water, the things cannot get to me, I think where I live is really safe, and I'm thankful that I was born here and have lived here all of my life :D.

RE: Earthquake !!! by John Anderton on 03-14-2005 at 03:09 PM

U were talking about major plates. This is where i live. Still i got affected by it :undecided:
the dot is where Bombay (Now called Mumbai) is

RE: Earthquake !!! by rudefrog on 03-14-2005 at 03:12 PM

Seriously this whole mother nature thing bothers me- we never reallyhad earthquakes in South Africa - the Tsunami ? never heard of such disasters on such magnitude in a long time..

Noticed how the weather patterns have changed as well..
Makes you wonder if Mother nature is p'd off or is the end near *-) ..... (thweee thwee thweee  - physco)

RE: Earthquake !!! by user27089 on 03-14-2005 at 03:28 PM

quote:
Originally posted by John Anderton
U were talking about major plates. This is where i live. Still i got affected by it :undecided:

Yes, but you are still relatively close to a plate boundary, whereas I am quite far away from any of the surrounding plate boundaries.
RE: Earthquake !!! by mwe99 on 03-14-2005 at 03:28 PM

oh no :( hope everyone's okay. we're lucky in the UK we don't really have earthquakes but sometimes tiny little shakes but nothing destructive thankfully :)

RE: Earthquake !!! by Tasha on 03-14-2005 at 03:34 PM

Hope things are ok.

We did have an earthquake once, in Shropshire, a few years ago. :p

RE: Earthquake !!! by user35870 on 03-14-2005 at 03:43 PM

i am glad i live away from anything like that :) uk

RE: Earthquake !!! by L. Coyote on 03-14-2005 at 03:57 PM

I never heard of earthquakes near where I live, but lately (the last 1-2 year/s) there's been earthquakes that have been felt here by a couple of people. It's uncommon, but not impossible, there's the plate in the Argentina-Chile division.

RE: Earthquake !!! by ayjay on 03-15-2005 at 07:22 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Tasha
Hope things are ok.

Don't forget the one in Birmingham! :P

We have major ones in Britain. Some can reach up to 0.0001 on the richter scale!!!!!! :O
RE: Earthquake !!! by NiteMare on 03-15-2005 at 07:31 AM

i've only been in 1 earthquake, and it was only strong enough to shake the windows(everything shakes our winows), i hope i'm never in a big one

RE: Earthquake !!! by John Anderton on 03-15-2005 at 11:05 AM

Todayz newspaper states no casualties n no one got hurt :O Phew ....

RE: Earthquake !!! by SikStyles on 03-15-2005 at 09:51 PM

i want to go to like a place in middle of nowhere and feel how earthquake feels like and then go back home where it safe :D

RE: Earthquake !!! by King For A Day on 03-15-2005 at 09:56 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Tasha
Hope things are ok.

i remeber hearing that, there was one in manchester but i was on holiday so didnt feel it, my sister lived in japan for a while and there were earthquakes all the time, its scary, whenever we heard about a mojor one we rang her to check she was ok
RE: Earthquake !!! by CookieRevised on 03-15-2005 at 11:12 PM

quote:
Originally posted by John Anderton
Living near 2 tectonic plates simply means you have a much much bigger chance of stronger earthquakes, it doesn't mean that when you don't live near 2 plates that there never will be an earthquake.

And within the big earth plates there are also little movements of smaller parts of the plate...

Tectonic plate movement isn't the only cause of earthquakes. It is the biggest cause though.

Even here in Belgium we have a very small earthquake once every few decades.
RE: Earthquake !!! by NiteMare on 03-15-2005 at 11:17 PM

earthquakes can also mobe through the earth, like a big eathquake in china could be felt in canada

RE: Earthquake !!! by Rubber Stamp on 03-16-2005 at 04:38 AM

i didnt feel a thing in delhi, tho we did feel ALOT when there was the quake in gujarat

RE: Earthquake !!! by -dt- on 03-16-2005 at 05:02 AM

so last night when you said you just had an earth quake =/ u didnt feel it :dodgy:

p.s. get on msn frame boy!

RE: Earthquake !!! by .Roy on 03-16-2005 at 05:37 AM

i used to live at the west coast of california so i was living ON a plate boundry. So we had lots of earthquakes

RE: Earthquake !!! by Pipish on 03-16-2005 at 08:44 AM

:| no earthquakes are good glad you didnt feel anythin trust me if you live in istanbull thats where the next realy realy big turkish one is set to strike watched a science movie on it realy scary/interesting

RE: Earthquake !!! by John Anderton on 03-17-2005 at 02:56 AM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
Living near 2 tectonic plates simply means you have a much much bigger chance of stronger earthquakes, it doesn't mean that when you don't live near 2 plates that there never will be an earthquake.
I tht that if u live near a quake then the possibility of a quake is larger. Also quakes can obviously be bigger in magnitude if u r near the tectonic plates.

quote:
Originally posted by Freaky Guy
i didnt feel a thing in delhi, tho we did feel ALOT when there was the quake in gujarat
The one is Gujrat on 26th jan was a huge one :| We felt it (clearly, well not me and my family again :dodgy: but my pal called me up about it :undecided:) here even tho it is 550 kms away :|
That one i think was ........ about a 7 and this one was only a 5.
Tho things r getting weired now a dayz since the Tsunami :dodgy: