Shoutbox

Wireless Network, HELLLLLLLLP...oh come on, u must be able to help me sumhow plz:'( - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Wireless Network, HELLLLLLLLP...oh come on, u must be able to help me sumhow plz:'( (/showthread.php?tid=40122)

Wireless Network, HELLLLLLLLP...oh come on, u must be able to help me sumhow plz:'( by M73A on 03-14-2005 at 07:13 PM

ive just got a wireless router and a wireless antennae pci card ive fitted the pci card, that works fine..... ive plugged in my router how the manual says and that is recognised etc.... the 2 computers say 'connected' but i cant do anything with it...how can i view files on the other pc? MORE IMPORTANTLY how can i get the internet to work on the pc with the antennae in...????

PLZ HELP, I WOULD BE SO GREATFUL FOR ANY HELP....THANKS

RE: Wireless Network, HELLLLLLLLP by mwe99 on 03-14-2005 at 07:15 PM

What operating system you using ?

RE: Wireless Network, HELLLLLLLLP by M73A on 03-14-2005 at 07:16 PM

xp on both

RE: Wireless Network, HELLLLLLLLP by mwe99 on 03-14-2005 at 07:17 PM

If you have service pack 2, in control panel try running the "wireless network setup" and then i think win xp can do it all, and you'll probably need to reset your computer (if you havent already) so XP can detect the devices :)

edit: oh and make sure they're enabled and working correctly in the Device Manager

RE: Wireless Network, HELLLLLLLLP by M73A on 03-14-2005 at 07:19 PM

yea there both enabled, will i have to run wireless network setup on both pc's at the same time? or can i do it seperate...its kinda hard at the same time because they're on diferent floors

RE: Wireless Network, HELLLLLLLLP by mwe99 on 03-14-2005 at 07:21 PM

As far as i know you can do one at a time, cos they should just detect each other and save settings but don't quote me on it. 

And as for the internet i think you'll need to change the LAN settings in XP (tools, I options... connections)

RE: Wireless Network, HELLLLLLLLP by Jhrono on 03-14-2005 at 07:51 PM

Does your router have firmware?if it has you need to set up the firmware so you can acess the web...in IE type (possibly this i dont know) 192.168.1.1 (in the adress bar) and make enter...if it asks u for a password and username type in both admin..and then configure it for the web..(you may need data from ur ISP so i advice you to be on the phone with ur ISP costumer help service..)

RE: Wireless Network, HELLLLLLLLP by M73A on 03-14-2005 at 11:46 PM

hmmm, i dont get it, i dont do anything and it fixes itself:S thanks for the help....johny thats there exact info the manual gave me aswell, lol

RE: Wireless Network, HELLLLLLLLP by MC.POP on 03-15-2005 at 12:24 AM

u need to make sure that they are in the same workgroup if u want to exchange files

RE: Wireless Network, HELLLLLLLLP by SikStyles on 03-15-2005 at 12:55 AM

didnt it come with the manual? or cant u call the company and ask for help?

RE: Wireless Network, HELLLLLLLLP by Striker on 03-15-2005 at 01:42 AM

this article might help out.. but the reason im posting this is cause lots of people have wireless, yet fail to secure it. Allowing your neighbours to use up your bandwidth, or use it to do illegal things. Or in the case of a friend of mine, use it to get his credit card number as he did transactions over wireless when it was un-secure (thankfully his neighbour was a nice person and told him about it rather than use his credit card info)
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networki..._05february10.mspx

RE: Wireless Network, HELLLLLLLLP by Jhrono on 03-15-2005 at 08:11 AM

quote:
Originally posted by may73alliance
johny thats there exact info the manual gave me aswell, lol

What's your router?a linksys one?...Linksys manuals suck(i have one and a USB acess point..eh for the laptop is belkin and in my opinion is better:))..anyway theire manual totally suck...i have to call 2 times to get wtf it was to do...my manual said all needed but in a stupid way:S
RE: Wireless Network, HELLLLLLLLP by alewington on 03-15-2005 at 08:25 AM

enable file sharing?

RE: RE: Wireless Network, HELLLLLLLLP by M73A on 03-15-2005 at 11:35 AM

quote:
Originally posted by alewington
enable file sharing?

How?

quote:
Originally posted by johny
quote:
johny thats there exact info the manual gave me aswell, lol

What's your router?a linksys one?...Linksys manuals suck(i have one and a USB acess point..eh for the laptop is belkin and in my opinion is better:))..anyway theire manual totally suck...i have to call 2 times to get wtf it was to do...my manual said all needed but in a stupid way:S

nah its Buffalo one

quote:
Originally posted by Striker
this article might help out.. but the reason im posting this is cause lots of people have wireless, yet fail to secure it. Allowing your neighbours to use up your bandwidth, or use it to do illegal things. Or in the case of a friend of mine, use it to get his credit card number as he did transactions over wireless when it was un-secure (thankfully his neighbour was a nice person and told him about it rather than use his credit card info)
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networki..._05february10.mspx

Thanks!!!!
RE: Wireless Network, HELLLLLLLLP by mwe99 on 03-15-2005 at 11:37 AM

So you managed to get it working okay now then?

RE: Wireless Network, HELLLLLLLLP by M73A on 03-15-2005 at 11:37 AM

yea, just trying to secure it now

RE: Wireless Network, HELLLLLLLLP by mwe99 on 03-15-2005 at 11:49 AM

ahh thats good to hear then :) i'm gonna attempt to set mine up soon when i get all the equipment :| should take a while!

RE: Wireless Network, HELLLLLLLLP by M73A on 03-15-2005 at 12:13 PM

lol, yea...i got all my equipment for my bday......:|today:|, but my rents are weird and say bcoz i got school and going out in the afternoon i might aswell just have the presents the day b4.. lol its good though bcoz now its set up i can actually put it to use....took a while:| the found eachother but wouldnt get an IP or some rubbish....and then when it worked it wouldnt let me access the forums at first = :|:|:|:|:|

hey, ive set everything up, but i cant access the folders i wish to share from one of the computers....if i set a folder to be shared on computer B, then computer A can see it and access it. but if i set a folder to be shared on computer A, computer B cant see it or access it. any ideas? thanks
RE: Wireless Network, HELLLLLLLLP by mwe99 on 03-15-2005 at 04:51 PM

Do you have a shared network folder set up to put the files into?

RE: Wireless Network, HELLLLLLLLP by M73A on 03-15-2005 at 05:14 PM

yeah, i have shared other folders from computer B and computer A can see them....but Computer B cant even see the shared documents folder from Computer A, nor can it see other folders i have set to be shared...:S

RE: Wireless Network, HELLLLLLLLP by mwe99 on 03-15-2005 at 05:17 PM

I found this from MS, might be some use to just check stuff you set up too :)

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb%3Ben-us%3B304040  <a basic tutorial of sharing>

RE: Wireless Network, HELLLLLLLLP by MC.POP on 03-15-2005 at 09:23 PM

quote:
yeah, i have shared other folders from computer B and computer A can see them....but Computer B cant even see the shared documents folder from Computer A, nor can it see other folders i have set to be shared...:S

make sure both computers are on the same workgroup
RE: RE: Wireless Network, HELLLLLLLLP by M73A on 03-15-2005 at 09:49 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MC.POP
quote:

make sure both computers are on the same workgroup

yea they are^o)
RE: Wireless Network, HELLLLLLLLP by M73A on 03-15-2005 at 09:58 PM

I've done this: (as the site recommended by mwe99 said)
(1.    Double-click My Computer on the desktop.
2.    On the Tools menu, click Folder Options.
3.    Click the View tab, and then select the Use Simple File Sharing (Recommended) check box to turn on Simple File Sharing. (Clear this check box to turn off this feature.))

computer B has that and it is enabled (probably why Computer A can see its folders. but when i try it on computer A it doesnt have that option to enable....is there any other way to enable it? thanks

RE: Wireless Network, HELLLLLLLLP by mwe99 on 03-15-2005 at 10:28 PM

Hm yeah, maybe try this

"To enable or disable file and printer sharing
You must be logged on to this computer as an administrator to complete this procedure.

Open Windows Firewall. (Start, click Control Panel)

On the Exceptions tab, do one of the following:
To enable file and printer sharing, select the File and Printer Sharing check box.

Advanced users can edit the File and Printer Sharing service, and enable or disable individual ports or adjust scope as needed. "

From Windows Help ---- Maybe SP2 is preventing it from working correctly :)

RE: Wireless Network, HELLLLLLLLP by M73A on 03-15-2005 at 11:27 PM

when i follow the my computer -> tools etc.... i only get up to here...why isnt it showing up the other tabs. i have
-general
-view
-file types
-offline files

but in the other my computer all i have is what is attached

RE: Wireless Network, HELLLLLLLLP by gif83 on 03-15-2005 at 11:34 PM

if you use a firewall then you may need to add the networked computers to an allow list on each computer

RE: Wireless Network, HELLLLLLLLP by M73A on 03-16-2005 at 07:49 AM

yea ive changed soem settings in my firewall, and closed it completely but that didnt help. is there a way to make computer B have a higer rank. coz i cant access the workgroup, it says no access permission or something...but if i put its access rights up (how?) it should work no?

RE: Wireless Network, HELLLLLLLLP by gif83 on 03-16-2005 at 11:22 AM

you know, the same thing happened on my sister's computer when she tried to get stuff off my network.

not sure what it could be... are all the wireless devices of the same make? Sometimes there might be weird incompatibilities.

keep on changing the workgroup name to different names and stuff. sometimes that will ensure all settings are ACTUALLY refreshed.

I guess you just have to play around with it till you see what's wrong.

RE: Wireless Network, HELLLLLLLLP by M73A on 03-16-2005 at 05:21 PM

i cant rename anything like that ^o)

i get this error message when trying to open Computer A's shared folder on Computer B
[Image: attachment.php?pid=406570]

RE: Wireless Network, HELLLLLLLLP by surfichris on 03-16-2005 at 09:09 PM

First the typical thing is to see if you can ping each machine.

Start -> Run -> cmd

ping may

If that does not work try entering the ip of the computer "ping 192.168.0.x" or whatever it is.

If that still doesn't work its your network connection. If it does work then it isnt your network connection (so not a problem with the wireless equipment).

Try disabling the firewall temporarily on each computer to see if that makes a difference.

Also, you need to enable file and printer sharing ont he computer. Go Start -> Control Panel -> Network Connections. Right click on the network connection and go Properties. Click Install -> Protocol -> Add. If File and Printer sharing doesn't show up in that list or is in the parent list in "This connection uses the following items" it is installed already.

Also, if you try navigating to \\Computer ip in Windows Explorer, does that work? If so it's a problem with hostname resolution on one of your computers. Edit the "hosts" file (google it) and add both machines to it.

RE: Wireless Network, HELLLLLLLLP by M73A on 03-16-2005 at 10:38 PM

i've pinged may  didnt work. i pinged the ip and that was successful. thanks for all the information, i got to go to sleep ill try the rest tommorrow, THANKS FOR THE HELP (Y)

RE: RE: Wireless Network, HELLLLLLLLP by M73A on 03-17-2005 at 07:38 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Chris Boulton
Also, if you try navigating to \\Computer ip in Windows Explorer, does that work? If so it's a problem with hostname resolution on one of your computers. Edit the "hosts" file (google it) and add both machines to it.

i get 'you do not have permission to access this.........'

quote:
Also, you need to enable file and printer sharing ont he computer. Go Start -> Control Panel -> Network Connections. Right click on the network connection and go Properties. Click Install -> Protocol -> Add. If File and Printer sharing doesn't show up in that list or is in the parent list in "This connection uses the following items" it is installed already.

Done still no luck...

quote:
If that does not work try entering the ip of the computer "ping 192.168.0.x" or whatever it is.

they both get a successful reply.

quote:
Try disabling the firewall temporarily on each computer to see if that makes a difference.

Is Completely off when trying these....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In my network places i cant access the other computer.....(from my workgroup) (cant even see the shared folders in my network places)

but i have clicked create shortcut \\may\my documents\my files (etc etc) and it works.....i can access it like that no problem but if i try and access the computer through the work groups i get the access permissions error message
RE: Wireless Network, HELLLLLLLLP by M73A on 03-17-2005 at 10:32 PM

BUMP

OMG DAMN NETWORK, someone please help me:'( by M73A on 03-18-2005 at 04:34 PM

right...ive recently got a wireless network ive set it up with help from people on the forum...i woke up today and the networking no longer works and the internet that was being used no longer works.....

nothing in the settings had changed since the last time i used it and it was working...what could have happened?

thanks

RE: OMG DAMN NETWORK, someone please help me:'( by The_Thief on 03-18-2005 at 04:48 PM

Couple of things to check

1) Power on the modem and wireless router or hub
2) Modem online
3) computer sees the router/hub
3) reset both modem, PC's and Router/Hub by unplugging them waiting 5-10 seconds then plug them back in

Hope that helps

RE: OMG DAMN NETWORK, someone please help me:'( by M73A on 03-18-2005 at 05:21 PM

im on a diferent modem (older one...) with the other one i cant even get online. but i could this morning:S

my network no longer shows either computer in the workgroup.

the wireless pci card says it is connected to the wireless router but  i cannot connect to the internet or the other pc.

wtf is going on:S:S:S:S:S:S

RE: OMG DAMN NETWORK, someone please help me:'( by The_Thief on 03-18-2005 at 05:28 PM

You may want to try access the router thru your browser.  Also to to phisically reset the router.  There should be a reset button on the router that will allow you set it to factory default.

RE: Wireless Network, HELLLLLLLLP by M73A on 03-18-2005 at 05:50 PM

still unsuccessful....atm ive got my old modem connected through ethernet to the wireless router....thats how im online but i cant access the other computer. i think if i find out why the other computer has disappeared it might fix the other stuff aswell

how uninstall networking? by M73A on 03-18-2005 at 07:38 PM

can anyone tell me how i can uninstall some networking because i want to try and reinstall it because it is f*cked for no apparent reason. thanks.

RE: how uninstall networking? by Joa on 03-18-2005 at 07:55 PM

umm.. *-) what do you mean by uninstall networking? do you mean things like "my network places", wireless networking or something completely else?

Edit: give an example :S

Edit 2: you can reset your networking in XP for instance using these directions give on this website

http://www.careyholzman.com/xp/home/xphome-1.htm

Edit 3: :^) i posted here? :|

RE: Wireless Network, HELLLLLLLLP by M73A on 03-18-2005 at 10:15 PM

erm i mean like so there is no networking on the computers at all so i can start again from scratch

RE: Wireless Network, HELLLLLLLLP by Jhrono on 03-18-2005 at 10:25 PM

The router must have a button named "Reset"..search for it:)

RE: Wireless Network, HELLLLLLLLP by M73A on 03-18-2005 at 10:47 PM

ive tryed that but the computers are still set to have the networking, i want to have it astho there is no network and the start again because i cant fix it atm for sum reason

RE: Wireless Network, HELLLLLLLLP...oh come on, u must be able to help me sumhow plz:'( by M73A on 03-26-2005 at 11:43 PM

i thought it would be useful incase someone had this problem and searched the forums....what solved it for me was following these instructions:

Start>Run>Regedit>Hkey_Local_Machine>System>Current Control set>Control>Lsa. Now open the lsa folder... check the"restrict anonymous" file, NOT NOT NOT the "restrict anonymoussam" file. Make sure the Restrict Anonymous file value is set to zero(O) and not one(1). If the value is set to one(1) change it to zero(O) by double clickin

RE: Wireless Network, HELLLLLLLLP...oh come on, u must be able to help me sumhow plz:'( by MC.POP on 03-26-2005 at 11:44 PM

thanks it happened to me once and i didnt know what to do.

RE: Wireless Network, HELLLLLLLLP...oh come on, u must be able to help me sumhow plz:'( by Ezra on 03-27-2005 at 12:21 AM

Are you sure the NTFS and Share permissions are set correctly?

RE: Wireless Network, HELLLLLLLLP...oh come on, u must be able to help me sumhow plz:'( by M73A on 03-27-2005 at 12:24 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Ezra
Are you sure the NTFS and Share permissions are set correctly?

sorry, who are you talking to? MS.POP? if its me mines working fine now:)