Shoutbox

Multimedia PC Task - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Multimedia PC Task (/showthread.php?tid=40218)

Multimedia PC Task by Dan0208 on 03-16-2005 at 09:53 AM

Ok everyone heres the deal... Today my IPT (information processing and Technology) class got a hsc assessment task involving the design and setup of a multimedia computer lab in a mock situation.
I will summarise the question below:
"The art department needs quality access to the school network to enable a class group (max 24 students) to use graphic design and multimedia software programs (eg Illustrator, Photoshop, video editing etc etc), internet resources to complete research, word processing for report writing and a publishing program for collating and publishing art work and related information. Also suitable hardware for colour digital images and colour printing. This requires files to be stored, secured and centrally administered. Thus a separate graphics computer lab with its own file server and connected to the existing school network is necessary"

Ok well thats pretty much the question. As far as the teacher is concerned there is pretty much no cost budget for the project. so my question to all of you is what would be suitable computers to build a graphics computer lab being able to easily run more than a few of the programs at a time. With not many cost restraints what hardware am i looking to "purchase" for each machine.
I want to be able to provide reasons in my report as to why certain things were chosen and how they will handle.
Also can anyone think of any other multimedia hardware that would be useful to this department. eg scanner, plotter, colour laser, photo printer, firewire ports for video transfer, usb 2.0, network cards etc etc.

Thanks everyone for your help on this it is greatly appreciated. I am not after anyone to do the assignment for me as this is only a minor part of it, rather i am after everyones input and a top end system in terms of suitable hardware as i am not entirely sure on some things.
Once again thanks for your help and any contribution, if anyone else has any other questions/suggestions please feel free to ask. Also any other useful additional information regarding the networking involved etc (ie switches, hubs, routers, print servers, twisted pair cable or fibre optic?? etc). I have also read and been told that a top end CRT monitor is used far more often in serious graphics departments and business instead of LCD as in sharpness, image quality etc it offers a much better picture for professionals?

Thanks to everyone,
Daniel

RE: Multimedia PC Task by RaceProUK on 03-16-2005 at 11:52 AM

Peripherals that could be useful: scanner, plotter, anything that does graphical stuffs.
As for the workstations:
Processor - AMD Athlon 64 3000+ or better
RAM: As much as you can fit in the motherboard, a couple o' gigs DDR400 should be possible
GFX card: Something my Matrox (they excel at 2D graphics) or by NVidia/ATI (for 3D stuff)
Other components: just get something decent.
The server could also benefit from a fast CPU and huuuuuuuuge memory, but of course it'll need masses of hard disk space. I think a few hundred gig would be a good starting point.
Connect the lot via a nice big 10/100 Ethernet hub (Gigabit if you like), Cat5 UTP/STP is all that's necessary.

And yes, CRTs are much sharper and clearer for graphics work. Make 'em big too ;)

RE: Multimedia PC Task by Dan0208 on 03-16-2005 at 11:55 AM

Thanks very much raceprouk that is exactly the type of stuff i was after. I will look into all of your suggestions.
anyone else got any ideas or suggestions to add to this?

RE: Multimedia PC Task by Dan0208 on 03-18-2005 at 06:53 AM

Sorry to bump this post. but it has been a while since anyone has read/responded and i was really in need of some more information so i can get started on this project. If anyone else has any more ideas or suggestions please post so i can gather up all the necessary information.
Thanks guys
Daniel

RE: Multimedia PC Task by Chris.1 on 03-18-2005 at 03:57 PM

quote:
Originally posted by raceprouk
Connect the lot via a nice big 10/100 Ethernet hub (Gigabit if you like), Cat5 UTP/STP is all that's necessary.

Umm, no. Use a gigabit switch to the server.

You will also want to RAID the hard disks on the server machine. Also, you should provide a network capable colour printer - the server machine can handle print queuing etc for this.

You will need a scratch disk on the local machines to store temporary files (you don't want to be sending temporary data across the network every second).

Do you need to consider backup options?
RE: Multimedia PC Task by Dan0208 on 03-18-2005 at 11:20 PM

Na as far as i know no backup options. Just things in terms of computers/hardware to use, additional hardware eg printer, monitor and networking hardware.
Another question. If i am having to connect to the schools exisiting network whose servers are located in anther building. What cable should i use. The school uses twisted pair cabling but i have read that it has a limit of about 100metres and im guessing that could be pushing it in the distance between the building.
Should i consider optical cable?

Also what do i look for in terms of server needed for a multimedia computer room. What type of specifications should i be looking at?

And finally does everyone agree on racepro's suggestion as so far this is what im going on. and would anyone else like to elaborate on  the details he has supplied in terms of other components.

Thanks guys you are a real good help when it comes to this type of stuff.
Daniel

RE: Multimedia PC Task by RaceProUK on 03-19-2005 at 02:26 PM

For between buildings, go optical.
Server specs: go for speed and capacity.

RE: Multimedia PC Task by -dt- on 03-19-2005 at 03:17 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Dan0208
he school uses twisted pair cabling but i have read that it has a limit of about 100metres and im guessing that could be pushing it in the distance between the building.
Should i consider optical cable?

or you could just install a repeater every 100m it would be cheaper.
RE: Multimedia PC Task by TheBlasphemer on 03-19-2005 at 03:26 PM

For the server, you can consider using a stable linux server (www.debian.org), and Samba (for windows network compatibility), Samba will be able to handle the printing stuff :)
If the server only has to handle file storage and printing, you can keep the specs low.
However, do plug in a decent network card, and a lot of RAM :)

RE: Multimedia PC Task by Dan0208 on 03-20-2005 at 01:25 AM

Ok then thanks everyone for your help. im gathering it all up now as im  beginning the assignment.
If anyone else has any pointers feel free to add.
Once again thankyou for all your suggestions