Shoutbox

Spyware Problem - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Spyware Problem (/showthread.php?tid=40219)

Spyware Problem by got_banned on 03-16-2005 at 10:29 AM

My friend is having some problems with spyware on his computer. He says that his homepage isn't the same anymore and that's it's now 'about:blank' and that even though he tries to change it in his internet options, it will not stay that way. He says that no other internet sites are re-directed, just his homepage and that his norton anti-virus picks it up but he can't fix it and that spyware program spybot search & destroy picks up something different. Says internet runs ok and msn messenger does too.  I'm guessing that this spyware is stuck in his registry? Anyone know what program can fix up problems like this? Any help is appreciated :)

RE: Spyware Problem by Jeohri on 03-16-2005 at 10:40 AM

Tell your friend to start the computer in safe mode and run the scans then. Much better chance of it removing everything when done that way. Also if spybot doesn't remove it, could always try ad-aware.

RE: Spyware Problem by J.J on 03-16-2005 at 10:45 AM

Hrmm, i used to have the problem with the homepage redirecting on my laptop...i think he has to uninstal one of the spyware programs on his computer to stop it from redirecting...

RE: Spyware Problem by Thatdot7.1 on 03-16-2005 at 01:19 PM

He could use Microsoft Anti-Spyware Beta 1.... so far, it has worked quite well for me

RE: Spyware Problem by darky on 03-16-2005 at 01:27 PM

Download Spy Sweeper from http://www.webroot.com/downloads/ , go in Save Mode, scan your System and remove the Spyware ;)

RE: Spyware Problem by RaceProUK on 03-16-2005 at 02:15 PM

Spybot S&D should be able to remove whatever is on there, especially in Safe Mode.

RE: Spyware Problem by Zephyr on 03-17-2005 at 01:02 AM

i find this site really useful.
spyware programs

I found Omega Killer especially helpful for sorting out minor problems.

RE: Spyware Problem by PureLegend on 03-17-2005 at 07:06 PM

I always use Ad-aware. Try uninstalling some IE toolbars or known spyware/adware (i.e Kazaa) Ad-aware has a system of deep-scanning the registry, so it might be ideal.

RE: Spyware Problem by The_Thief on 03-17-2005 at 07:17 PM

The ones that I would use if it were me:

adware-pro
Spybot search and destroy
Microsoft Antispyware

Those work wonders