Shoutbox

POP Email Checker and Proxy - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! Help (/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+----- Thread: POP Email Checker and Proxy (/showthread.php?tid=40334)

POP Email Checker and Proxy by FraZor on 03-17-2005 at 11:40 AM

I'm having trouble getting the Pop E-Mail checker working. The issue may be  that I'm inside of a network and have to use proxies to connect to the service. I have access to Socks4, Socks5 and HTTP proxies, and in the current latest MSN7 beta I have all theese details filled out and TCP disabled, but it appears that the POP E-Mail checker is still trying to use TCP to connect to the mail servers.

Well thats my guess anyway as whan I hit test settings it tries for a bit then says it couldn't connect and I have tried several mail accounts that I can access with other emans.

Can it not just inherit the advanced connection settings from MSN Messenger itself?

Has anybody got any other advice for this issue?

RE: POP Email Checker and Proxy by FraZor on 05-06-2005 at 09:08 AM

OK, now using MSN 7 final and the latest MsgPlus, and its still not working. I'm convinced that it is trying to make a direct connection, rather than use MSN's connsction settings, which is quite short-sighted really. Of course I am assuming that its possible to detect and use the connection settings as defined by MSN Messenger.

RE: POP Email Checker and Proxy by FraZor on 06-14-2005 at 03:15 PM

Bump because nobody had mentioned anything towards this and because I can see otehr posts from time to time asking for it, also with no replies.

RE: POP Email Checker and Proxy by Millenium_edition on 06-14-2005 at 03:20 PM

Well, I think you're right, msgplus does not take over MSN's settings. Have you tried setting up the internet options (in IE) in a way you can just visit any website with IE? This might help to make it connect automatically through your proxy server.

RE: POP Email Checker and Proxy by Patchou on 06-14-2005 at 06:01 PM

Messenger Plus! uses your IE settings to make its outgoing connection. However, in the case of POP3, Plus! uses Winsock directly and to be honnest with you, I don't know how I could use Winsock to connect through anything else than TCP. If anybody has technical suggestions about this problem, let me know :).

RE: POP Email Checker and Proxy by FraZor on 06-14-2005 at 07:27 PM

Sadly I left my programming skills by the roadside in favour of web coding skills. One tool I know of that CAN do this is CheckP3. I have emailed the author, but there's not much else I can do. If anyone is likely to know how to do this then he probably is.