Shoutbox

Longer Sounds - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+----- Thread: Longer Sounds (/showthread.php?tid=40370)

Longer Sounds by Trunkz_Jr on 03-17-2005 at 05:54 PM

does anyone (or can someone make) a tweek to make sounds play longer or plus or make it an Option you can Enable, because 10seconds really isn't that long, i downloaded the 1 tweek to make COntactsounds 100seconds or whatever and was great cause i would play like 30second parts of songs or so, and it would be 1000x better to have it longer.

RE: Longer Sounds by Dempsey on 03-17-2005 at 06:01 PM

Custom sounds are set at a maximum of 10 seconds and it won't be increased.  Patchou set it at 10 secnds so that copyrighted songs werent shared and pirated.

RE: Longer Sounds by Omar on 03-17-2005 at 06:18 PM

That...and the fact that the it takes less time to send/recieve 10 seconds sounds...

Theres still people on dialup

RE: Longer Sounds by Trunkz_Jr on 03-17-2005 at 06:19 PM

true, but not everyone is on dialup ^_^ i hope someone makes a tweek or something tho :D i wanna play One Winged Angel from FF7 to friends

(besides 30 seconds isn't that bad, i could understand if it was like 3min long, but i mean 30seconds should be fine)

RE: Longer Sounds by amsie on 03-17-2005 at 06:37 PM

if u sent a whole song it would take ages to send it would b copyrited and it mite slow down the  Messenger Plus anyway it is set at 10 sec and cannot b increased

RE: Longer Sounds by Guido on 03-17-2005 at 07:17 PM

And remember sounds must be hosted online by Patchou, and if he allowed longer sounds he must have the space and bandwidth for it (just multiply it by the number of sounds... check the stats... http://sounds.msgplus.net/

RE: RE: Longer Sounds by Patchou on 03-17-2005 at 07:56 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Trunkz_Jr
true, but not everyone is on dialup ^_^ i hope someone makes a tweek or something tho :D i wanna play One Winged Angel from FF7 to friends

lol.. that's exactly why there's a 10 second limit. The feature is called "emotion sounds" not "share your mp3s" :). 10 seconds is more than enough for a little sound, more would become rapidely annoying and people would then disable the feature ontheir computer. If your friends want to listen to some music, they are probably already doing so by themselves :).
RE: Longer Sounds by DJeX on 03-17-2005 at 09:09 PM

Hummm well then if you want longer sounds make a plugin :P and give it to your friends.

RE: Longer Sounds by Purity on 03-17-2005 at 09:54 PM

quote:
Originally posted by amsie
if u sent a whole song it would take ages to send it would b copyrited and it mite slow down the  Messenger Plus anyway it is set at 10 sec and cannot b increased
If you live in Canada it's 100% legal. :happy:

Would be slow....But yeah....

How about something like Yahoo launch....you can stream music to your friends...?  Takes less than 30 seconds to buffer...Bah, nvm....Files=hosted by patchou=to much space taken up.....:S
RE: Longer Sounds by DJeX on 03-17-2005 at 10:29 PM

I think Purity has a good idea about streaming the music to your firends. That would be cool. Say if you could stream the file right from your computer to your friends computer through MsgPlus! with out haveing to upload to server.

RE: Longer Sounds by wj on 03-17-2005 at 11:12 PM

I'll just throw it out there it wouldnt go through the sound server :-P It has safeguards in place to prevent sending long sounds :-P

RE: Longer Sounds by Purity on 03-17-2005 at 11:14 PM

Thanks for bursting my bubble:cry:, but what does everyone else think of my idea? :cheesy:

RE: Longer Sounds by Fraisie on 03-17-2005 at 11:26 PM

It is just not going to happen, it is not the purpose of the feature.

RE: Longer Sounds by thc2010 on 03-17-2005 at 11:28 PM

theres going to be a plugin some day wich makes it longer... and im still wondering if hackers can use this new audio emoticon as an exploit tool

RE: Longer Sounds by Guido on 03-17-2005 at 11:49 PM

quote:
Originally posted by thc2010
theres going to be a plugin some day wich makes it longer... and im still wondering if hackers can use this new audio emoticon as an exploit tool
Exploit for what? Computers never connect to each other for this.
RE: Longer Sounds by CookieRevised on 03-18-2005 at 12:25 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Trunkz_Jr
i wanna play One Winged Angel from FF7 to friends
quote:
Originally posted by DJeX
Hummm well then if you want longer sounds make a plugin and give it to your friends.
quote:
Originally posted by thc2010
theres going to be a plugin some day wich makes it longer...
use the 'old' sound plugins then...  (eg: Audiator)

quote:
Originally posted by Purity

Thanks for bursting my bubble, but what does everyone else think of my idea?
(N) sorry... Messenger Plus! will never be a medium for possible illegal music sharing...

RE: Longer Sounds by stephen_wq on 03-18-2005 at 05:32 AM

maybe make an option in prefs of how long you want peoples soudns to play for.....

edit: or make any sounds above 10 seconds not on autoplay and maybe (large) next to it, so if they have dial up they have the choice

RE: Longer Sounds by wj on 03-18-2005 at 05:39 AM

I believe it's been settled. It's not going to happen.

10 seconds is a good length for a custom emotion sound.
A hack wont work, the server will reject it
The last thing we need to do is support illegal file sharing.

I'm closing the thread.

RE: Longer Sounds by Patchou on 03-19-2005 at 03:26 AM

quote:
If you live in Canada it's 100% legal.
No it is NOT. I'd like everyone to stop thinking that because the legislation in Canada is not clear about file sharing, you can pirate anything you want, that's simply NOT true.

As for hacking the system, you would need to hack the server and Messenger Plus! on both sides... good luck! ;).