Shoutbox

Laptop Reccomendations? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Laptop Reccomendations? (/showthread.php?tid=40422)

Laptop Reccomendations? by dom. on 03-18-2005 at 01:13 AM

I'm looking for a decent laptop to edit video on; I have no more than £900 to spend. It needs to be as fast as possible, have as much RAM as possible (768mb or higher), and must have firewire ports. Basically all the specs that are needed to edit with.

Could anyone suggest anything for me? I'm looking into buying one ASAP so all help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

RE: Laptop Reccomendations? by Joa on 03-18-2005 at 02:27 AM

I heard that toshiba laptops are good for multimedia editing :S and i heard also that the red sub laptops are very very good for video editing... and the sony "VAIO" laptops.. but they all come up to well over £1000

but to be completely honest i would not recommend a laptop at all for the price of £900 for video editing - too many limitations - especially the screen limitations. i know that laptop technology has REALLY advanced but still, i recommend desktop computers for this type of thing. it is too common that many laptops have very good fire-wire ports but extremaly poor video display technology and vice versa. i'm assuming it would be cheaper to go with a desktop pc... laptops are usually more expensive when it comes to video editing and upgrading... and it is very hard to upgrade them :S

i'm not a laptop expert though just my opinion :)

RE: Laptop Reccomendations? by Chris.1 on 03-18-2005 at 04:00 PM

Apple iBook? With educational discount it may be under £900

RE: Laptop Reccomendations? by dom. on 03-20-2005 at 10:39 PM

I've found this one, which I shall be buying tomorrow: http://www.tiny.com/packages.php?prodid=12773

Now, I want you all to tell me why I shouldn't buy from that brand! Alot of people have been saying that..

Thoughts please people!

RE: Laptop Reccomendations? by albert on 03-20-2005 at 10:43 PM

maybe cuz its not that popular.. so not that trusted.? i personally would put a little more money and buy a Sony laptop.. I hear they're the best for audio/video editiing

RE: Laptop Reccomendations? by mwe99 on 03-20-2005 at 10:47 PM

Well as your buying from Tiny.com you seem to have made up your mind :P however, i personally wouldn't buy a laptop over the internet without going to a shop and seeing a demo/testing it :)