Shoutbox

Video Taping video games right to a computer - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Video Taping video games right to a computer (/showthread.php?tid=40552)

Video Taping video games right to a computer by Jay1982a on 03-19-2005 at 05:29 AM

Hey, I was wondering how I can directly record a video game I'm playing onto my computer, I imagine  my video card would have to have something to do with it, its a ATI Radeon 9800 Pro. And I know my PC can handle it. But what programs/hook-ups would I need? Video games are being played on my tv screen a few feet away.

Thanks

RE: Video Taping video games right to a computer by Ahmad on 03-19-2005 at 05:31 AM

I'd assume you need Video In on you're video card..

And probably a program like DVD Workshop that allows you to record incoming video/sound.

RE: Video Taping video games right to a computer by Moo on 03-19-2005 at 05:55 AM

Or, if your really cheap (like me), use your webcam ;)

RE: Video Taping video games right to a computer by Y2Pdogg on 03-19-2005 at 06:02 AM

You need a TV Tuner card which you can get from Here for a good price. I don't know anything about the cards from experience so you might to want to look around at the reviews on the site before you select which one you want to buy.

RE: Video Taping video games right to a computer by .blade// on 03-19-2005 at 06:13 AM

There are several ways to do it:

1) Recording the game to VHS then using a video input to record it onto your PC
2) Directly recording on your PC with a card that supports the prooper kind of A/V input
3) Recording to a DVD recorder then reading it on your PC

RE: Video Taping video games right to a computer by user2319 on 03-19-2005 at 06:27 PM

You know the cable that comes from your console (it's probably 3 cables; left sound, right sound, video)? Well, you would need to put that one into your computer. However, you probably want to see what you're doing. So I think you should try to get a splitter.

edit: But there is an easier way, without splitter: console -> video in; video out -> TV.

RE: RE: Video Taping video games right to a computer by Jay1982a on 03-21-2005 at 07:54 AM

quote:
Originally posted by blade
There are several ways to do it:

1) Recording the game to VHS then using a video input to record it onto your PC
2) Directly recording on your PC with a card that supports the prooper kind of A/V input
3) Recording to a DVD recorder then reading it on your PC

Thanks everyone for the help, however I'm really bad at all this lol, so how could I do it concerning option 2. Cause if I were to do option 3, I'd end up costing a lot of money considering I don't even have a dvd drive on my pc.

Would specs of my PC help out in any way?
RE: Video Taping video games right to a computer by user2319 on 03-21-2005 at 04:49 PM

Your video card has "video in" and "video out". Or well, I hope for you it does. The cable which goes from your console to your TV should be plugged in to your video card; then you should put a cable in the "video out", and the other end in your TV. You might need special cables/converters for this. Ask at you local Video store.

RE: Video Taping video games right to a computer by Jay1982a on 03-23-2005 at 06:18 AM

lol, I hope it has it also, is there any way of finding out if my Radeon 9800 Pro has in and out? I tried looking for my manual, but to no avail :@

RE: Video Taping video games right to a computer by TheBlasphemer on 03-23-2005 at 07:09 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Jay1982a
lol, I hope it has it also, is there any way of finding out if my Radeon 9800 Pro has in and out? I tried looking for my manual, but to no avail :@

9800pro only has tv-out...
you'll need a tv tuner card for tv-in
RE: Video Taping video games right to a computer by Jay1982a on 03-25-2005 at 07:46 AM

dang-it, any idea on a good one, or a good priced one, I'd be throwing blanks at trying to find a good one

RE: Video Taping video games right to a computer by mad_onion on 03-25-2005 at 08:20 PM

cant fraps do this or am i confused about the topic?
EDIT: sorry i didnt read properly im so stupid, yeah you would need a S-Video output on your graphics card.