Shoutbox

Forwards Compatibility - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+----- Thread: Forwards Compatibility (/showthread.php?tid=40646)

Forwards Compatibility by noroom on 03-20-2005 at 12:53 AM

Hey, have you ever thought of making your programs forwards-compatible?

For example, the new plus version supports custom sounds, but the old one doesn't. What if you made the old version recognize the Plus! command, and suggest the user to upgrade to the newest Plus! version to support new commands?

So, instead of showing:

quote:
noroom says:
[Messenger Plus! Sound] - Data{10ACE70FF173} - Timmy! 

It would show something like:
quote:
Your contact is trying to send you an unsupported command. Please upgrade to the newest Plus! version to support it. Link: www.msgplus.net

I think it would make plus a lot more professional. It's little things like these that make a difference ;)
RE: Forwards Compatibility by Chestah on 03-20-2005 at 01:22 AM

Thats a nice suggestion (Y) but how is Patchou going to implement a "forwards compatibility" without the user having to download a patch? Msgplus! is not setup at the current time so that it can just auto-patch itself and update small bits like that seemlessly from the net, so at least for current older versions it won't beable to be done :(

RE: Forwards Compatibility by Pc_Madness on 03-20-2005 at 05:18 AM

I think he means for future versions.

RE: RE: Forwards Compatibility by noroom on 03-20-2005 at 05:20 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Pc_Madness
I think he means for future versions.

That is correct. :)

For future versions.
RE: Forwards Compatibility by ddunk on 03-20-2005 at 05:48 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Calvin
i would love a feature like that, it would be less confusing for those without plus!

This feature wouldn't affect people who don't have Plus, just people who have and older version of it and receive a command from someone with a newer version.
RE: Forwards Compatibility by J.J on 03-20-2005 at 06:00 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Calvin
oh, still a good idea though (y)

Yeh i agree :)

I mean, you send your contacts a sound - who have an older version of Plus!, and then they wonder what the hell im sending to them...

At least this influences them to upgrade and tells your contacts what you're sending them
RE: Forwards Compatibility by Ahmad on 03-20-2005 at 06:05 AM

That would mean Patchou knowing in advance what ideas he's going to come up with, therefore knowing the commands to be recognized, unlikely :)

RE: Forwards Compatibility by Vilkku on 03-20-2005 at 07:49 AM

Well, why not add something to each new command that the old ones would recognize as new, not excatly what it is.

RE: Forwards Compatibility by Eljay on 03-20-2005 at 07:51 AM

so basically an upgrade to tell you to upgrade :dodgy:

RE: Forwards Compatibility by Pc_Madness on 03-20-2005 at 08:16 AM

Why not simply have Plus! say when someone opens a conversation window "I'm using such and such, what about you?" (ok, not in actual text, but you know what I mean :p)

No response -> No Plus, thus you could make messages look like,
Blah Says:
Blah has just tried to send you an Plus! Sound, but you don't have Plus installed, etc.
A response, wrong version -> Upgrade Message
Correct Response -> Etc.

Wouldn't be to hard to do. I think the biggest problem would be making it so that you have to have checks around every feature to check the reciever has the right version.

:hmm:

RE: Forwards Compatibility by user35870 on 03-20-2005 at 11:25 AM

the first suggetion is good idea

RE: Forwards Compatibility by noroom on 03-20-2005 at 05:46 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Vilkku
Well, why not add something to each new command that the old ones would recognize as new, not excatly what it is.

Exactly what I was thinking!