Shoutbox

Plus starts Windows Messenger? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! Help (/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+----- Thread: Plus starts Windows Messenger? (/showthread.php?tid=40649)

Plus starts Windows Messenger? by Pc_Madness on 03-20-2005 at 01:04 AM

Hmm, not sure about this one to be honest... does anyone find that with Plus installed, it starts Windows Messenger first, but hidden?

I have sign in automatically enabled on Windows Messenger and MSN Messenger, but when I turn on the computer I get alerts from Windows Messenger and people trying to talk to me, but the icon is hidden from the System Tray.

I've uninstalled Windows Messenger, but we all know how XP loves to keep core Components installed when it says they aren't.

Anyone else having this issue?

RE: Plus starts Windows Messenger? by mwe99 on 03-20-2005 at 01:07 AM

Maybe it's your computer cos as far as i'm aware it's just built for MSN Messenger... maybe you need to unsign in automically on the Win Messenger. However if you enabled an option in Plus!, it opens automatically when you turn your computer on

[Image: copyofplus1qr.gif]

RE: Plus starts Windows Messenger? by Pc_Madness on 03-20-2005 at 01:14 AM

I was under the impression it was for both. 

Strange that would start Windows Messenger for no reason though (it'll still run it even though its not set to sign automatically...)..... I know MSN Messenger uses some of Windows Messengers features, but I doubt that would be the reason that it should load on startup.

Edit: Nope, that option isn't checked.  Just incase there was any doubt, Windows Messenger isn't set to run on startup, only MSN Messenger is.

RE: Plus starts Windows Messenger? by jren207 on 03-20-2005 at 01:16 AM

I had this problem. It was a plugin for plus! that I had called Shortcuts plug. I also noticed another plugin called file transfer plus did this as well.

RE: RE: Plus starts Windows Messenger? by mwe99 on 03-20-2005 at 01:20 AM

quote:
Originally posted by jren207
I had this problem. It was a plugin for plus! that I had called Shortcuts plug. I also noticed another plugin called file transfer plus did this as well.

Yeah do you have any other plugin's installed?

To check: click PLUS, PREFERENCES, PLUGINS
RE: Plus starts Windows Messenger? by Pc_Madness on 03-20-2005 at 01:21 AM

No plugins installed, just Plus!.

RE: Plus starts Windows Messenger? by mwe99 on 03-20-2005 at 01:26 AM

Okay then what versions of Plus! and MSN Messenger are you using?

Plus, About   (for Plus! version)

About, MSN Messenger   (for msn version)

RE: Plus starts Windows Messenger? by jren207 on 03-20-2005 at 01:38 AM

Do you have norton antivirus installed?

RE: Plus starts Windows Messenger? by Pc_Madness on 03-20-2005 at 01:45 AM

632 for MSN and 3.50 for Plus!  And no antivirus is installed. :naughty:

RE: Plus starts Windows Messenger? by jren207 on 03-20-2005 at 01:56 AM

I know this is a typical thing, but have you actually got a virus due to not having any protection, this could be a bropia variant that is starting messenger to send itself...

Check the process list in TasK Mananger

(If you did have Norton Anti-Virus installed, there is a feature that protects you when using Windows Messenger and usually starts Windows Messenger....)

RE: Plus starts Windows Messenger? by Pc_Madness on 03-20-2005 at 05:05 AM

No, no virus, theres nothing in regedit (or msconfig) that points of a program starting that shouldn't be.

The only recent edition is Plus!.

I'd also like to say that MS are really lame, Uninstalling Windows Messenger = making the msmsg.exe hidden in the directory, but leaving its dll's there.

RE: Plus starts Windows Messenger? by matty on 03-20-2005 at 05:38 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Pc_Madness
No, no virus, theres nothing in regedit (or msconfig) that points of a program starting that shouldn't be.
Do you have msmsgs.exe in your system startup? (start > run > msconfig (press enter)> startup tab

Check out: CookieRevised's reply to I am about to rip my hair out over MS Messanger