Shoutbox

do you think we should have the death penilty - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: General Chit Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+----- Thread: do you think we should have the death penilty (/showthread.php?tid=40669)

do you think we should have the death penilty by -dt- on 03-20-2005 at 07:25 AM

well im doing a talk on this tomorrow so I just wanted to hear everyones opinions
I  think yes we should have it for muderers and such because if they have they right to take away one (or many) peoples lifes i think we should kill them insted of us paying for them to live in prision for the rest of their life.

what do you guys/girls think?

RE: do you think we should have the death penilty by blackjack on 03-20-2005 at 07:34 AM

i think we dont have the right to kill someone ''we'' people are here to live in comunity, but well if someone does not respect to eachother, something should be done against him/her to keep tht safety and let the ''someone'' rest in peace. i wouldnt say this but well if someone messes with my family of course.. go ahead with it... :undecided:

sorry for my bad english :p

RE: do you think we should have the death penilty by user44571 on 03-20-2005 at 07:35 AM

i think no, but heck, it isnt in australia anyway :refuck: we did this as a debate in my class

RE: do you think we should have the death penilty by WDZ on 03-20-2005 at 07:36 AM

quote:
Originally posted by -dt-
we should kill them instead of us paying for them to live in prision for the rest of their life
Yeah, I agree. I think people who have committed multiple serious crimes and who are truly threats to society should get the death penalty.
RE: do you think we should have the death penilty by Joa on 03-20-2005 at 07:37 AM

nope. i think its a far worse punishment to keep somebody alive and suffering (stuck in jail for the rest of their life).

also, sometimes it turns out that the person was not guilty. how can you say, 'alright u'r free to go' when they're already dead?

also... what's the point of commiting another murder? shouldn't the people who killed the "real" murderer be charged for the same thing? i know the rules and all, but killing is still killing... it does not really teach others not to kill if the government does the same thing.

just my opinion :P

RE: do you think we should have the death penilty by Vilkku on 03-20-2005 at 07:41 AM

I pretty much have the same opinion as Joa. Killing the killer will make us killers too. Anyway, there is no deaht penalty here (Finland).

RE: RE: do you think we should have the death penilty by blackjack on 03-20-2005 at 07:41 AM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
quote:
we should kill them instead of us paying for them to live in prision for the rest of their life
Yeah, I agree. I think people who have committed multiple serious crimes and who are truly threats to society should get the death penalty.

yeah, in that case i agree with death penilty, we dont have the right too choose who lives or not. but if he/she is a murderer needs to pay the crimes that commited *-) instead of just being in jail, thinking how to escape. :angry:
RE: do you think we should have the death penilty by user44571 on 03-20-2005 at 07:43 AM

quote:
Originally posted by blaCkjaCk

yeah, in that case i agree with death penilty, we dont have the right too choose who lives or not. but if he/she is a murderer needs to pay the crimes that commited instead of just being in jail, thinking how to escape.

but if they were innocent and the court thought they were guilty, thats is murder
RE: do you think we should have the death penilty by J.J on 03-20-2005 at 07:45 AM

If we were in introduce the death penalty, i beleive that nobody should be killed unless they confess to the bad crime that they have committed...

If the evidence all points to the person accused and he is convicted but he continues to say he is innocent, they should only give the person a jail sentence...unless its blaitently obvious that they've done something wrong eg: saddam hussein, osama bin laden

You don't want people getting the death penalty when theres a possibility that they havn't commited the crime...

Other people may have different opinions but thats just my opinion anyway...

RE: do you think we should have the death penilty by WDZ on 03-20-2005 at 07:49 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Joa
nope. i think its a far worse punishment to keep somebody alive and suffering (stuck in jail for the rest of their life).
Maybe, but wouldn't most people rather live than die? Also, keeping them alive costs the taxpayers money... is making criminals suffer really worth it? The taxpayers don't get much out of it, so I think not.

quote:
also, sometimes it turns out that the person was not guilty.
True, and I also hate to see innocent people go to jail or be killed. The justice system has to be extremely careful when dealing with life-or-death situations.

quote:
it does not really teach others not to kill if the government does the same thing.
Blah... there's a difference. A murder is usually planned by one person, and done in a violent way. A death penalty execution is decided with a long and careful process by prosecutors, judges, jurors, etc.. The actual killing is done in a non-violent way with a chemical injection.
RE: do you think we should have the death penilty by Joa on 03-20-2005 at 07:55 AM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
Maybe, but wouldn't most people rather live than die? Also, keeping them alive costs the taxpayers money... is making criminals suffer really worth it? The taxpayers don't get much out of it, so I think not.

yeah but when they are dead what does it matter? its over. what is more important life? or money? ... we pay taxes for so many stupid and useless things.. what does it matter if we keep a few more people alive? :tongue:
quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
Blah... there's a difference. A murder is usually planned by one person, and done in a violent way. A death penalty execution is decided with a long and careful process by prosecutors, judges, jurors, etc.. The actual killing is done in a non-violent way with a chemical injection.

yeah i know... but still, if a group of people plan to kill somebody and feel justified to do it. say in a mafia. does that give them the right? who are we or anybody else to say who should live or die? it is very easy to kill. too easy.

you may be right... but

* Joa doesn't like killing :sad:
RE: do you think we should have the death penilty by user44571 on 03-20-2005 at 08:01 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Joa
non-violent way with a chemical injection.

something about that method just seems wrong to me
RE: do you think we should have the death penilty by -dt- on 03-20-2005 at 08:06 AM

I think it would be a great scare tactic too tho because would people want revenge OR to keep living there life , 90% of people would prefer to keep there own life and probley never commit a murder or something , young kids would probley never try to hold up a store because they would be scared of getting caught and killed (even tho they would never kill someone over a prety crime like that)

RE: do you think we should have the death penilty by Weyzza on 03-20-2005 at 08:10 AM

Interesting topic.

-dt-, I think whatever your stand is, as long as you present the issue well, you'll get a good grade ;)

And, I'm sorry, I might not be able to give my opinion, because I'm not sure what my stand is. (Convince me with your stand :p)

You guys might want to know about the latest death penalty verdict in the US.

Scott Peterson was sentenced for death for killing his wife named Laci, and his unborn fetus, Connor.
The thing that I found immoral when I heard the case for the first time was, he offered $500,000 (I guess) for anyone who found his wife. Well, eventually you know, the wife was found died.

He admitted that he was the killer, and his family tried to convince the jury that he was not a cold blooded killer.

And I think, on the last trial which resulted putting Scott in the death row, Laci's family expressed their emotional anger. On the other side, Scott's family didn't give a word. They might realize there was no way for him to escape.
I'm not really sure about this. I was cooking :p

Okay, now do you think that Scott got what he deserved or not?

This case has been quite popular in the US recently.
You can find tons of news from the Internet.

RE: do you think we should have the death penilty by Joa on 03-20-2005 at 08:11 AM

quote:
I think it would be a great scare tactic too tho because would people want revenge OR to keep living there life , 90% of people would prefer to keep there own life and probley never commit a murder or something , young kids would probley never try to hold up a store because they would be scared of getting caught and killed (even tho they would never kill someone over a prety crime like that)

yeah but u'd be pretty damn scared to spend the rest of u'r life in a cement box.

i mean, true with the jails they have in like Canada for instance, doing life in jail is like a free vacation. (most :dodgy: jails here anyway).. but if they were more strict with murderers and didn't give them cells with cable television, and gave them very limited choices for things. i think most people wouldn't want to go to jail for life :undecided:
RE: do you think we should have the death penilty by .Roy on 03-20-2005 at 08:17 AM

i say you should kill the really bad ones. The terrorists like osama and saddam. People who murdered bunch of lives

RE: do you think we should have the death penilty by Weyzza on 03-20-2005 at 08:19 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Hobbes
i say you should kill the really bad ones. The terrorists like osama and saddam. People who murdered bunch of lives
Be careful on what you are thinking, Hobbes.
Some people, well maybe lots of people :p, think that President Bush is also a killer.
RE: do you think we should have the death penilty by user44571 on 03-20-2005 at 08:21 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Hobbes

I think its ridiculous how long there keeping some terrorists in jail, i mean, arent they just going to get the death penalty anyway?

200th POST :banana:
RE: do you think we should have the death penilty by Naruto on 03-20-2005 at 08:23 AM

I agree but only if it's 100% that the criminal is the suspect! cuz if not it could be a good for nothing kill

RE: do you think we should have the death penilty by -dt- on 03-20-2005 at 09:45 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Naruto
I agree but only if it's 100% that the criminal is the suspect! cuz if not it could be a good for nothing kill
you can never know 100% if a person did it unless theres like a
security tape of them commiting the crime.

its intresting seeing the opionons of everyone here tho.
RE: do you think we should have the death penilty by haydos on 03-20-2005 at 10:09 AM

I think the death penalty should be introduced but primarily for multiple offenders, mass murderers/rapists etc...

I think prison life is too easy, some of them have tvs etc which isnt much of a deterrant to criminals

RE: do you think we should have the death penilty by user44571 on 03-20-2005 at 10:12 AM

quote:
Originally posted by inc_haydn
I think prison life is too easy, some of them have tvs etc which isnt much of a deterrant to criminals

your an aussie so you might know, sometime last year on the news they showed this new prison for prisoners with kids or something (i dont remember what kind of prisoners it is intended for), IT WAS NOT PRISON, IT WAS HEAVEN, it's like getting a free house
RE: do you think we should have the death penilty by FrozernFire on 03-20-2005 at 12:27 PM

i live in the country which some other countries condemn for it's death penalties :dodgy:
death penalty is given to -murderers
                                  -kidnappers
                                  -drug traffickers
the death penalty is cruel, yes, but to me, getting jailed for life here is worse than the death penalty

RE: do you think we should have the death penilty by ProblemWv Authority on 03-20-2005 at 12:43 PM

Overall, my veiw is that we should have death penalties for people who have taken other peoples lives.

On the other hand though, I think it would be extremly hard to judge stuff like that. If it was an accident then they probably don't deserve to be killed and stuff like that and if they were set up or the evidence isn't that strong so I'm kindof not sure lol.

RE: do you think we should have the death penilty by _Humphreys on 03-20-2005 at 12:46 PM

No, I don't think the death penality should exsist. Just because someone has done something wrong doesn't mean they have the right to take that persons life.

RE: do you think we should have the death penilty by mwe99 on 03-20-2005 at 12:50 PM

I think we should, however they must be 110% sure that the person did actually commit the crimes

RE: do you think we should have the death penilty by John Anderton on 03-20-2005 at 12:55 PM

Its a really dodgy and controversial question. In wayz both the answers are correct and incorrect. In some cases they mabbe or may not be applicable. U could talk for hours on end and still get no definite answer cause basically there isnt one. So i am sticking to my neutral point of view i guess cause i feel both r correct n incorrect :undecided:

RE: do you think we should have the death penilty by King For A Day on 03-20-2005 at 12:55 PM

i think that we shouldnt because its just as bad as what they have done, i think we should have a life (not just 25 years) so that they never come out, for big crimes like shipman style things, keep the current one for single murders etc,

that way the criminals suffer for what they have done, do not allow them privilages like tv, make life as boring as possible

RE: do you think we should have the death penilty by Anubis on 03-20-2005 at 01:06 PM

As humanity goes on we seem to become more and more ethically correct. The death penalty has become faded out and out for years now, by the 22nd century I doubt we will even have it. Life imprissionment seems to be a choice that is more humain and just as bad.

RE: do you think we should have the death penilty by mwe99 on 03-20-2005 at 01:10 PM

Well if they don't have the death penalty they should have something else because "They say 36 pence, or less, is spent on the ingredients for a school lunch - compared to 60 pence for a prisoner's.", so why should children suffer when people who commit the crimes get general better food in prison :O 

<source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/talking_point/3167544.stm>

RE: do you think we should have the death penilty by Rik on 03-20-2005 at 02:30 PM

Yes. For murderers...but depends.
We all have the right to live, but they take live.
In my opinion It depends the case.

RE: do you think we should have the death penilty by benellis2007 on 03-20-2005 at 06:19 PM

I think that the death penalty should be introduced, but only for the most severe crimes for example:

Murder of children
Murder of 2 or more people
Rape followed by murder
and High Treason

RE: do you think we should have the death penilty by user27089 on 03-20-2005 at 06:23 PM

There are many differential opinions to capital punishment. Personally, I think that only the most severe criminals should undergo such a terrible punishment, such as pedofilia etc...

I think that they should be 100% sure that the person killed everybody first though :-/.

RE: do you think we should have the death penilty by Fredzz on 03-20-2005 at 11:44 PM

There should be a dead penilty! How many people, keel womans children people and go to jail for like 20years?! they killed lifes! life has no pryce! so kill them or even worst: torture them! hell ya! make them suffer.. imagine how family of the dead victims would suffer of their losts! Torture the criminals!:@

RE: do you think we should have the death penilty by Naruto on 03-21-2005 at 07:49 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Fredzz
There should be a dead penilty! How many people, keel womans children people and go to jail for like 20years?! they killed lifes! life has no pryce! so kill them or even worst: torture them! hell ya! make them suffer.. imagine how family of the dead victims would suffer of their losts! Torture the criminals!:@
I totally agree with you btw that's what they do in singapur

RE: do you think we should have the death penilty by Anubis on 03-21-2005 at 08:00 PM

quote:
Torture the criminals!
I don't think that's really a good idea. I mean that's taking civilisation down and back a few hundred years. Let's try and move forward and not backward. By doing that it's not making anyone a better person, it's just mindless and unethical. Locking them up for life (real life in most cases) is ethical and bad enough.
RE: RE: do you think we should have the death penilty by M73A on 03-21-2005 at 08:03 PM

quote:
Torture the criminals!

like the do in iraq....the stone people to death my r.s. teacher was sayin...if they commit adultery, coz we're learnin morals etc...
the woman gets stoned and the man gets let free. that just aint right:S
RE: do you think we should have the death penilty by _Humphreys on 03-22-2005 at 04:19 PM

My opinion is simple, no one has the right to take another person's life.

RE: RE: do you think we should have the death penilty by M73A on 03-22-2005 at 04:55 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Carltos Cool
My opinion is simple, no one has the right to take another person's life.

i kinda agree there. you just lower yourself to their level by killing them, they should have to live and suffer. they should be locked away for LIFE (for things like murder) not just 20 years or whatever. they should have a bed a window and a toilet. and 23 hours locked in their cell.
RE: do you think we should have the death penilty by CookieRevised on 03-22-2005 at 05:33 PM

(I didn't read the whole thread...)

my opinion:
no, no death penilty. I rather pay taxes to "punish" a person (aka put em life long in jail) then sentencing him/her to death. Not only the "innocent" issue comes to mind, but also the fact that death is often seen as a way out by criminals and by the relatives of the victims. Criminals don't have to live with their deeds any longer if they are sentenced to dead, the relatives of the victims always do...

True, some death row criminals rather keep living, but the true criminal minded ones don't care and rather die.

If someone killed a close one to me, I rather see him/her a life long in prison then seeing him on death row...

(and if politics come to mind: so it is ok to kill a murderer, but not to do an abortion?... but that's an whole other discussion... although, it is very similar)

RE: do you think we should have the death penilty by toddy on 03-22-2005 at 08:29 PM

we have the death penilt in england...............if u commit treason u can  still get hung

RE: RE: do you think we should have the death penilty by M73A on 03-22-2005 at 09:08 PM

quote:
Originally posted by toddler
we have the death penilt in england...............if u commit treason u can  still get hung

REALLY:O!?!?!?!?!?!! hmmmmm*-) would they enforce it though?
RE: do you think we should have the death penilty by benellis2007 on 03-22-2005 at 09:39 PM

only for very high treason ie. murder of royalty

RE: RE: do you think we should have the death penilty by M73A on 03-22-2005 at 09:41 PM

quote:
Originally posted by benellis2007
only for very high treason ie. murder of royalty

would they really hang them though??? or woudl they change it to like death by lethal injection or gas etc. somethign more modern ya know?
RE: do you think we should have the death penilty by benellis2007 on 03-22-2005 at 09:53 PM

ould of thought lethal injection           we are too far on in this country to hang

RE: do you think we should have the death penilty by benellis2007 on 03-22-2005 at 09:53 PM

maybe tho

RE: do you think we should have the death penilty by saralk on 03-22-2005 at 10:30 PM

I dont think we should have the death penalty.

Firstly, there is always the issue of s/he could be innocent.

Secondly, there is the immoral, hypocritical argument, I guess some people could say that its figting fire with fire, but a modern day government shouldn't really be thinking that it is ok for them to kill people, but not okay for other people to kill.

There has also been research suggesting that the death penalty isn't a detterrent for muders and rapes etc...

Also, whatever you might say, the murderer's family are not murderers, therefore killing someone would inflict torument on the people who didn't really do anything wrong.

And I think that it is a far more effective punishment to put someone in jail for 30 years, they will have 30 years in which to think about what they did, 30 years of being seperated from their family and friends.

RE: RE: do you think we should have the death penilty by Pinchichuv on 03-23-2005 at 06:32 AM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
quote:

i think that the death penalty is like playing to be God, cause they think they know who can live and who can die, and people that comitte bad crimes like killing people and things like that are people that are crazy and even they deserve to live, cause living is the greatest gift we have and know one has the right of taking that it off on other people
RE: do you think we should have the death penilty by Val on 03-28-2005 at 08:44 PM

Well if this murderer kills one person he should be kill as well just like the old saying eye or an eye. But if he kills more than one person he should rot in jail and be tortured and never let out and make that time of his life like hell so quick and painless death is better than torture

RE: do you think we should have the death penilty by albert on 03-28-2005 at 09:18 PM

quote:
well im doing a talk on this tomorrow so I just wanted to hear everyones opinions
I  think yes we should have it for muderers and such because if they have they right to take away one (or many) peoples lifes i think we should kill them insted of us paying for them to live in prision for the rest of their life.

what do you guys/girls think?

i actully wrote a piece on this.. you guys should read it, ill put it online : www.geocities.com/l_p_15/death.doc

the only problem is that it is in french.. and i dont feel like translating so.. :P
RE: do you think we should have the death penilty by Steven on 03-29-2005 at 12:32 AM

by giving death penatlys there being bad like the crimanal

RE: RE: do you think we should have the death penilty by brian on 03-29-2005 at 04:09 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Joa
yeah but u'd be pretty damn scared to spend the rest of u'r life in a cement box.

i mean, true with the jails they have in like Canada for instance, doing life in jail is like a free vacation. (most :dodgy: jails here anyway).. but if they were more strict with murderers and didn't give them cells with cable television, and gave them very limited choices for things. i think most people wouldn't want to go to jail for life :undecided:

How'd you know that? :O

I think there should be a death penalty. If someone is in a concert, and someone brings in a machine gun, and kills everyone including the singers. He'll just get jailed?
RE: do you think we should have the death penilty by Val on 03-29-2005 at 04:13 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Vexx
How'd you know that? :O

I think there should be a death penalty. If someone is in a concert, and someone brings in a machine gun, and kills everyone including the singers. He'll just get jailed?

Your right becouse if he dose that in canada sure becouse the canada perisions r like vaction but the american is like hell so i would matter where you live and what jail they would send you

RE: do you think we should have the death penilty by user2319 on 04-05-2005 at 06:31 AM

I think we shouldn't have the death penalty, because I don't think it does what it's advertised for: Scare the criminals. And it has a lot of problems. How do we kill the criminals in a painless, cheap way? And we have to make sure the operator doesn't feel bad about it aswell.

RE: do you think we should have the death penilty by Weyzza on 04-05-2005 at 06:38 AM

It seems like this thread talks about which punishment is more severe.

So I propose another way.
A life-time imprisonment without food and water, just like Terri Schiavo underwent.

If a non-criminal experienced such thing, why don't we implement the same thing to the criminals?

/sevillaugh

Edit:
And we can put the bad guilty guys, who are in the starving-to-death row, in same jails with corpses who were punished the same.

That way we will have the cheapest (and efficient) punishment in the history.
No food, no water, no maintenance and maybe no electricity :chrongue:
We only need spaces to put the bad guys with the corpses.

And it should be relatively short. Probably it'll just take 13 days, like Terri.

RE: do you think we should have the death penilty by Pyroteq on 04-05-2005 at 08:36 AM

We dont have it here in australia,
I think we should have it but only for extreme crimes that can be proven beyond doubt.

RE: do you think we should have the death penilty by Anubis on 04-05-2005 at 09:20 AM

quote:
Originally posted by thekid

So I propose another way.
A life-time imprisonment without food and water
There's such a thing as ethics. That isn't exactly a humane thing to do...there are very few people who would support such an act, and those that do support it really need a good psychological assessment.

The UK got rid of the death penalty around half a centaury ago, however I think the punishment of "life imprisonment" should sometimes be literal for some of the more malicious offenders.
RE: do you think we should have the death penilty by Pipish on 04-05-2005 at 09:37 AM

yes i do think we should have the panelty but only for extreme cases