Shoutbox

[split] IRC better solution than IM? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: [split] IRC better solution than IM? (/showthread.php?tid=40725)

RE: Why Have You Sold-out? by andy0605 on 03-20-2005 at 07:16 PM

A bit off topic...

Don't think for a second that if the big four (AIM, MSN, ICQ, Y!M) disappeared that nobody would be able to get by without them.  There are better solutions (namely IRC) out there, actually.  You can argue this point if you want, but IRC wins. Kthx

RE: Why Have You Sold-out? by Guido on 03-20-2005 at 07:21 PM

quote:
Originally posted by andy0605
Don't think for a second that if the big four (AIM, MSN, ICQ, Y!M) disappeared that nobody would be able to get by without them.  There are better solutions (namely IRC) out there, actually.  You can argue this point if you want, but IRC wins.
Irc wins in which field exactly? Not in user friendlyness, for sure, which is the main point of instant messaging...
RE: [split] IRC better solution than IM? by RaceProUK on 03-20-2005 at 10:11 PM

It also loses out majorly on security.

RE: [split] IRC better solution than IM? by albert on 03-20-2005 at 10:49 PM

ive personlly never tried it.. because i couldnt understand how it worked at that time.. i belive thats why its not the best ;-)

RE: [split] IRC better solution than IM? by Concord Dawn on 03-20-2005 at 10:56 PM

quote:
Originally posted by raceprouk
It also loses out majorly on security.

IMs aren't that hard to hack either (or so I'm told). If you really need security, send a letter, or talk face to face.
RE: [split] IRC better solution than IM? by Jhrono on 03-20-2005 at 11:30 PM

IRC vs IM :
[list]
[*]In IRC you have lots and lots of people to talk with and in IM clients you only have guys in your list...(+ for IRC)
[*]In IRC you get Spammed pretty easily because of whats shown above...(+ for IM)
[*]IRC has a crappy GUI in comparison with Most IM Clients(+ for IM)
[*]IM Clients tend to eat more resources then IRC clients..(+ for IRC)
[*]You can Mod IRC(yep i changed Mirc once..pretty cool...eh the old days at 133 Mhz :D) (+ For IRC)
[*]IM is Safer(+ for IM)

Result :

IM - 3 points
IRC - 3 points

...You choose what you like the best :)...Though i prefer IM clients..

RE: [split] IRC better solution than IM? by jren207 on 03-20-2005 at 11:51 PM

IM clients have voice and webcam capabilities and MSN has display pictures etc..

something that IRC doesn't have

RE: [split] IRC better solution than IM? by Wabz on 03-21-2005 at 12:07 AM

There different things with different purpose.  Both allow communication but with different means and results there not actually that comparative to be honest

RE: [split] IRC better solution than IM? by segosa on 03-21-2005 at 01:19 PM

I agree with Wabz. They can't really be compared, however I'd like to point out a couple of things:

IRC is the protocol. The language between IRC clients. IRC is NOT insecure, the protocol is in fact so damn simple an exploit is very unlikely. Do not refer to mIRC (the most popular client) as "IRC" because that is NOT what it is.

quote:
Originally posted by lp15

ive personlly never tried it.. because i couldnt understand how it worked at that time.. i belive thats why its not the best

If you don't understand it then you need to take a bit of time TO understand it. It isn't that hard. IRC is networking at the lowest level. You interact directly with the server and you are not forced on tons of pointy-clicky dialogs in most clients.

quote:
Originally posted by Guido

Irc wins in which field exactly? Not in user friendlyness, for sure, which is the main point of instant messaging...

It's not MEANT to be userfriendly. It's meant to be functional.

quote:
Originally posted by johny

In IRC you get Spammed pretty easily because of whats shown above...(+ for IM)

I am on IRC 24/7. I am connected to, say, about 12 servers. I am in about 50 channels. I have NEVER had some random infected client DCC me. I have NEVER been spammed. You do NOT get spammed in general, it's just what people think.

quote:

IRC has a crappy GUI in comparison with Most IM Clients(+ for IM)

quote:

You can Mod IRC(yep i changed Mirc once..pretty cool...eh the old days at 133 Mhz ) (+ For IRC)

IRC is not a program. It is a protocol. You cannot "mod" an protocol. A protocol does not have a GUI. You are referring to mIRC, the most popular IRC client.

Plus, scripting mIRC is highly advanced and there isn't a thing you can't do with it (especially with the ability to call routines in DLLs). It allows you to customise every aspect of your client.

mIRC does not have a GUI apart from the options really, it uses commands. A command allows for far more versatility than a stupid GUI gives you. Any command you use can be used in a script which allows you to call many commands at a time to automate tasks (connecting to servers, joining chans, identifying yourself......etc).

quote:

IM is Safer(+ for IM)

There has only been ONE exploit for mIRC, and all it allowed was for a person to crash your IRC client with a malformed DCC Send line. People think m/IRC is unsafe because they do not understand it. It takes barely any energy to protect yourself.

quote:
IM clients have voice and webcam capabilities and MSN has display pictures etc..

something that IRC doesn't have

That's why you have IM apps, IRC's not meant to replace that :)
RE: [split] IRC better solution than IM? by John Anderton on 03-21-2005 at 01:23 PM

quote:

# In IRC you have lots and lots of people to talk with and in IM clients you only have guys in your list...(+ for IRC)
# In IRC you get Spammed pretty easily because of whats shown above...(+ for IM)
# IRC has a crappy GUI in comparison with Most IM Clients(+ for IM)
# IM Clients tend to eat more resources then IRC clients..(+ for IRC)
# You can Mod IRC(yep i changed Mirc once..pretty cool...eh the old days at 133 Mhz ) (+ For IRC)
# IM is Safer(+ for IM)

Result :

IM - 3 points
IRC - 3 points

...You choose what you like the best ...Though i prefer IM clients..
Same here ..... i vote for im too :P Much more user friendly and better gui imo :D
RE: [split] IRC better solution than IM? by Jhrono on 03-21-2005 at 02:31 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Segosa
IRC is not a program. It is a protocol. You cannot "mod" an protocol. A protocol does not have a GUI. You are referring to mIRC, the most popular IRC client.

Plus, scripting mIRC is highly advanced and there isn't a thing you can't do with it (especially with the ability to call routines in DLLs). It allows you to customise every aspect of your client.

mIRC does not have a GUI apart from the options really, it uses commands. A command allows for far more versatility than a stupid GUI gives you. Any command you use can be used in a script which allows you to call many commands at a time to automate tasks (connecting to servers, joining chans, identifying yourself......etc).

I know IRC is a protocol but every Script of it is crappy in comparison with Msn Messenger Per example..

quote:

There has only been ONE exploit for mIRC, and all it allowed was for a person to crash your IRC client with a malformed DCC Send line. People think m/IRC is unsafe because they do not understand it. It takes barely any energy to protect yourself.

I was seing it from that point of view...mine is that you in IM clients add who you want and you can add people in wich you trust and in IRC anybodyu can send anything and if u accept it u never know whats in it...
quote:

I am on IRC 24/7. I am connected to, say, about 12 servers. I am in about 50 channels. I have NEVER had some random infected client DCC me. I have NEVER been spammed. You do NOT get spammed in general, it's just what people think.

When i say spam i say mass messages like : Visit #Xsasdads it's cool bla bla bla...