Shoutbox

Blocked extensions - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: Blocked extensions (/showthread.php?tid=41028)

Blocked extensions by The_Thief on 03-23-2005 at 08:48 PM

Full list of blocked extensions
Full list of blocked extensions
Zero1 says:

Further to the last post made about blocked file extensions, we have found the full list of blocked file extensions. If you need to send files with these extensions over MSN Messenger, it would be best to send them in a zip file.

The full list of extensions is as follows:

.ade .adp .app .asp .bas .bat .cer .chm .cmd .com .cpl
.crt .csh .exe .fxp .hlp .hta .inf .ins .isp .its .js .jse .ksh .lnk
.mad .maf .mag .mam .maq .mar .mas .mat .mau .mav
.maw .mda .mdb .mde .mdt .mdw .mdz .msc .msi .msp .mst
.ops .pcd .pif .prf .prg .pst .reg .scf .scr .sct .shb .shs .tmp
.url .vb .vbe .vbs .vsd .vsmacros .vss .vst .vsw .ws .wsc .wsf .wsh

if you try and send a file with one of these extensions, your contact will recieve this message:

emailhere@msn.com tried to send you a file (filename.extension). This file has been blocked because it is potentially unsafe.

On another note, it seems that the message that appears stating that the file is blocked appears in a different window than the one sending it. Confusing!

I found this at http://mess.be/

RE: Blocked extensions by Kruxx on 03-23-2005 at 09:16 PM

Some friends have tried sending me an MP3 file, and I can't receive it 'cause MSN blocked it... My God... MP3!

***Edit, attached screeny jus incase no1 belives me

RE: Blocked extensions by Plik on 03-23-2005 at 09:16 PM

quote:
Originally posted by nimicitor
sounds like a good idea but what if you want to share a 'good' exe file?

good meaning a proper program not a virus etc.
Then you can just zip it
RE: Blocked extensions by gif83 on 03-23-2005 at 09:21 PM

or i guess manually change the extention... and then get them to change it back

RE: Blocked extensions by Kruxx on 03-23-2005 at 09:23 PM

I've just finished formatting my hard drive so I haven't had chance to re-install any security. It's Messenger lol. Worked aight with the previous leak

RE: Blocked extensions by mwe99 on 03-23-2005 at 09:31 PM

Zip files could contain the viruses, however if you have a decent virus scanner attatched to your MSN should catch it.. and anyone who renames a file .pif is stupid (no offence to anyone)

RE: Blocked extensions by The_Thief on 03-23-2005 at 09:33 PM

I'm just glad that no movie files are blocked like mpegs, avi, wmv etc....(realizes that now that I said it it will be blocked)

RE: Blocked extensions by net-cruizer on 03-23-2005 at 11:47 PM

No fix for this yet??? Not that it will be any use.
Personally I think blocking those filetypes is the stupidest thing ever. Thats not the solution for stopping viruses.
That would be like MS disabling downloading period on Windows OS's. I'm sure people wouldn't be happy about that... right?
MS might as well disable file transfers period, as it's no longer any use, cuz even if there was a patch or something, a person would have to get there contacts to apply the patch and lots of people arent into that.

RE: Blocked extensions by jren207 on 03-24-2005 at 12:15 AM

I think that you should get a choice of whether to download the file or not. Still with the warning, but the warning will prevent a user from just downloading straight away and make them think twice.

RE: Blocked extensions by Purity on 03-24-2005 at 12:36 AM

I second that....^^

RE: Blocked extensions by Kruxx on 03-24-2005 at 08:05 AM

^^ Agreed

RE: Blocked extensions by Chestah on 03-24-2005 at 09:13 AM

Yep exactly what i think, adding this feature will sure help resolve the virus issue across the msn network (in the meantime), except it also makes it harder to send files that are useful! The user should be warned but not restricted - that way if they are stupid enough to download and run a .pif file then at least Microsoft can say that they were warned.

RE: Blocked extensions by ~INVASION~ on 03-24-2005 at 09:31 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Chestah
Yep exactly what i think, adding this feature will sure help resolve the virus issue across the msn network (in the meantime), except it also makes it harder to send files that are useful! The user should be warned but not restricted - that way if they are stupid enough to download and run a .pif file then at least Microsoft can say that they were warned.

ya thats wat i think they should do also, i dont want to waste time and zip everything before i send it, but security is a big issue and i guess this is the only way:/
RE: Blocked extensions by ayjay on 03-24-2005 at 09:38 AM

[09:13:15] <%ajd> It should come up with an alert saying "If you are a noob, then DO NOT accept this file"

:P

RE: Blocked extensions by jren207 on 03-24-2005 at 03:34 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ajd
[09:13:15] <%ajd> It should come up with an alert saying "If you are a noob, then DO NOT accept this file"

:P

:lol:, what about the non-noobs :P
RE: Blocked extensions by Fraisie on 03-28-2005 at 09:28 PM

See http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=41359 for up to date info