Shoutbox

Is there a way to download an image in the format of your choice? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Is there a way to download an image in the format of your choice? (/showthread.php?tid=41036)

Is there a way to download an image in the format of your choice? by .Roy on 03-23-2005 at 10:21 PM

Is there a way to download an image in the format of your choice?

I want to download all my images in gif format. But some of the images i see are in jpeg. I dont want to open paint and then save it as jpg. Thats too long and painful.  So is there a way?

RE: Is there a way to download an image in the format of your choice? by user27089 on 03-23-2005 at 10:23 PM

No, all saving as a .jpg would be doing was overwriting the format, it will still be seen as a .gif, and animated and stuff, there's no way to do it I'm afraid, without converting it via. paint or whatever...

If I were you, I would use photoshop, and open them all, then save them individually in one folder, its simple, and doesn't take too much time.

RE: Is there a way to download an image in the format of your choice? by blackjack on 03-23-2005 at 10:44 PM

Probably This Helps.. http://www.flydragonsoft.com/GraphicConverter.htm
somehow :P

RE: Is there a way to download an image in the format of your choice? by .Roy on 03-23-2005 at 10:45 PM

Just opening photoshop takes a couple seconds of my life.. And i am not speaking of converting gifs to jpeg. Because animation isnt compatable with jpeg. I mean like jpeg to gif or png. Its much more simpler

RE: RE: Is there a way to download an image in the format of your choice? by blackjack on 03-23-2005 at 10:49 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Hobbes
I mean like jpeg to gif or png. Its much more simpler

Umm probably this?.. but is a trial version
http://www.gold-software.com/jpggifconverter.html
RE: Is there a way to download an image in the format of your choice? by ~INVASION~ on 03-23-2005 at 10:53 PM

quote:
And i am not speaking of converting gifs to jpeg. Because animation isnt compatable with jpeg.

actually it is, Not to long ago a new technology came out and is animated jpg's This can be seen in the new resident evil game. Resident evil 4 i think is the first game to use animated jpg technology
RE: Is there a way to download an image in the format of your choice? by WDZ on 03-24-2005 at 04:51 AM

quote:
I want to download all my images in gif format.
Why? Keep in mind that GIF images are limited to 256 colors, so many JPEGs will look worse after being converted to GIF.

quote:
No... the image on the server is only in one format, and I don't think any browsers support "on-the-fly" converting when saving images. You'll have to convert them after downloading.
RE: Is there a way to download an image in the format of your choice? by -dt- on 03-24-2005 at 06:47 AM

quote:

umm well you could use the GD lib with php to convert between formats (well loading the old image up in a new image then saving it) then output them as different types , but the GD lib dosn't support animated gifs or things with more than one frame

but you would have to have another webpage asking the people what format they want to download it as.
RE: Is there a way to download an image in the format of your choice? by .Roy on 03-24-2005 at 07:38 AM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
quote:
I want to download all my images in gif format.
Why? Keep in mind that GIF images are limited to 256 colors, so many JPEGs will look worse after being converted to GIF.

quote:
No... the image on the server is only in one format, and I don't think any browsers support "on-the-fly" converting when saving images. You'll have to convert them after downloading.

are u sure that there is no technology that can do this? Maybe save the image in a temp folder and then it converts it and sends the converted file to desktop. I dont think this is so hard to do, maybe it could be a firefox plugin when u click right click on an image and it says save as .gif

quote:
Originally posted by -dt-
quote:

umm well you could use the GD lib with php to convert between formats (well loading the old image up in a new image then saving it) then output them as different types , but the GD lib dosn't support animated gifs or things with more than one frame

but you would have to have another webpage asking the people what format they want to download it as.
i dont have a clue what u are talking about
RE: Is there a way to download an image in the format of your choice? by absorbation on 03-24-2005 at 02:40 PM

I dont know wheather this is what you are going on about but wen i save images i type the name i want for them then the extension e.g. untitiled.gif.

Sowi if i'm talkin rubbish :P

RE: Is there a way to download an image in the format of your choice? by Jhrono on 03-24-2005 at 02:59 PM

Wtf? how do u do that?:S

RE: Is there a way to download an image in the format of your choice? by .Roy on 03-24-2005 at 03:14 PM

it doesnt work. When u type it like that then it can be

picture.gif.jpg

its just part of the name.  Not the file type

RE: Is there a way to download an image in the format of your choice? by Guido on 03-24-2005 at 03:21 PM

You don't want to convert JPGs to GIFs... you will lose a lot of quality in most cases...

And no, it's not possible directly from the browser without any addon (and I don't know any addon that does it anyway)

RE: Is there a way to download an image in the format of your choice? by absorbation on 03-24-2005 at 04:03 PM

O right i delete the orginal extention in the name and usually save them as .png. They are a .png file format because they keep the quality and reduce the bytes needed. :D

Try in on this smilie: :P

Here is the .png format (it was orginally a .gif)

[Image: attachment.php?pid=417070]

Hobbes take ur avatar for example its an .jpeg i have saved it as a .png in a seocnd. (You can give it any extension you want even made up ones)

[Image: image.PNG]

This shows what you normally see wen u r about 2 save it

[Image: image2.PNG]

This is what i do to save it as a .png (you can save it as a bmp, gif, anything yoy want.)

Here's is your avatar in a .png format:

[Image: avatar.png]

Hope this helps :P

RE: Is there a way to download an image in the format of your choice? by Guido on 03-24-2005 at 04:22 PM

Why not just save it in the format it was originally in? You can't lose less quality than that! It's downloaded directly.

RE: Is there a way to download an image in the format of your choice? by absorbation on 03-24-2005 at 04:25 PM

That makes scence however, i hate saving things as bitmaps as they take up far too much space. :D

RE: Is there a way to download an image in the format of your choice? by .Roy on 03-24-2005 at 04:30 PM

but if i want a script for my images. I dont want their to be pic1.gif pic2.gif pic3.gif pic4.gif pic5.jpg pic6.gif

Its complicated when there are different file types for the names

RE: Is there a way to download an image in the format of your choice? by absorbation on 03-24-2005 at 04:49 PM

Just do what I said before but save them as .gif.

RE: Is there a way to download an image in the format of your choice? by .Roy on 03-24-2005 at 04:57 PM

oh wait u were right :o Thanks dude.

RE: Is there a way to download an image in the format of your choice? by absorbation on 03-24-2005 at 05:04 PM

Thanks, i'm just glad i could help. :P

RE: Is there a way to download an image in the format of your choice? by .Roy on 03-26-2005 at 09:05 AM

I found a different way to do it in a big bunch. My web host has cPanel and it has image manager. It can change all the format of every image by itself