Shoutbox

Slow Startup - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Slow Startup (/showthread.php?tid=41086)

Slow Startup by absorbation on 03-24-2005 at 05:17 PM

Does anyone know how 2 make statup faster and get rid of annoying thinks loading at startup? :P

My computer is driving me crazy with annoying slow startups in which i have to wait forever to let programs i dont even use to load e.g. quicktime.

RE: Slow Startup by Sunshine on 03-24-2005 at 05:19 PM

Go look into the settings of the programs you don't wanna startup automaticly and tell it not to do so.

RE: Slow Startup by absorbation on 03-24-2005 at 05:21 PM

I've tryed that but quicktime has no option. :(

I've heard of msgconfig but what is it?

RE: Slow Startup by The_Thief on 03-24-2005 at 05:23 PM

start/run/ and type msconfig click the startup tab and you can close the programs you don't need.

RE: Slow Startup by Tasha on 03-24-2005 at 05:24 PM

Try deleting some things, running Virus scans and Syware scans and generally cleaning up ur computer. Remove programs you don't need.

Also go:

Start > Run >  type: msconfig and go to the 'StartUp' tab, and untick anyhting on there that you don't need running when you start up your computer.

Hopefully this will help you get a speedier startup. (y)

RE: Slow Startup by The_Thief on 03-24-2005 at 05:26 PM

msconfig stands for Microsoft System Configuration Tool.  You can shoose what services, programs and drivers to boot.  But be carefull you don't turn off a driver or system resources you don't you need that will mess up your machine BUT you can choose Startup tab and uncheck almost all the prgrams from stopping from booting.

RE: Slow Startup by absorbation on 03-24-2005 at 05:28 PM

Thanks alot for all your help but which programs are safe to not be allowed to start up because some are needed by windows to work.

RE: Slow Startup by The_Thief on 03-24-2005 at 05:30 PM

Thinks like Antivirus, Adobe products, Spyware Scanners.  But leave programs with pathis c:/windows  Those are needed but most everything else can be unchecked.

RE: Slow Startup by Tasha on 03-24-2005 at 05:31 PM

There isn't anything in msconfig that makes windows work. You should keep any graphics drivers and antivrus programs on there though. If you are unsure, look across and see what it says for the root directory.

RE: Slow Startup by The_Thief on 03-24-2005 at 05:35 PM

Yes there is stuff in c:/windows root directory and sub diretory to my knowledge windows needs that to boot up properly. 

RE: Slow Startup by BeerBro on 03-24-2005 at 09:57 PM

or myabe try defragmenting ur HD...

RE: RE: Slow Startup by blackjack on 03-24-2005 at 10:11 PM

quote:
Originally posted by BeerBro
or myabe try defragmenting ur HD...

No thats always the last option, theres always something to do ;) if not then defragment but not this time :P this is just about removing some progs in Start up 8-|
RE: Slow Startup by TheGeek on 03-24-2005 at 10:23 PM

Try to remove some gadget-progs you never use.
Maybe try a registry defragging tool.

RE: Slow Startup by Sunshine on 03-24-2005 at 10:35 PM

quote:
Originally posted by blaCkjaCk
No thats always the last option, theres always something to do ;) if not then defragment but not this time :P this is just about removing some progs in Start up 8-|
What? Defragmenting helps keep your comp run fast, it needs to be done regurarly. Same goes for registrycleaning and registry defragging. I agree that this thread is about the startmenu though.

RE: Slow Startup by Tobeon on 03-24-2005 at 10:39 PM

Have you done the usual spybot adaware scans? just to be safe :)

RE: Slow Startup by Caboose on 03-24-2005 at 11:00 PM

I use CodeStuff Starter to manage my startup items :)

RE: Slow Startup by Chestah on 03-25-2005 at 12:35 AM

Firstly do an antivirus scan with the latest Defintions! Then i'd scan using Lavasoft Ad-Aware, dragment your harddrives (it will slightly increase boot speed). Then if your boot speed is still slow check out what programs are listed in your startup folder --> Start --> All Programs --> Startup. If you have programs in there that you don't want starting delete their shortcut! Then i'd use msconfig to remove everything else you don't want starting :)

RE: RE: Slow Startup by blackjack on 03-25-2005 at 12:39 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Sunshine
quote:
Originally posted by blaCkjaCk
What? Defragmenting helps keep your comp run fast, it needs to be done regurarly. Same goes for registrycleaning and registry defragging. I agree that this thread is about the startmenu though.

Yeah actually i made a mistake and confused the word.. with Formating :$ sorry :P
RE: Slow Startup by albert on 03-25-2005 at 12:50 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Tasha
Try deleting some things, running Virus scans and Syware scans and generally cleaning up ur computer. Remove programs you don't need.

Also go:

Start > Run >  type: msconfig and go to the 'StartUp' tab, and untick anyhting on there that you don't need running when you start up your computer.

Hopefully this will help you get a speedier startup. (y)

As The Thief Says :

quote:
Originally posted by The_Thief
msconfig stands for Microsoft System Configuration Tool.  You can shoose what services, programs and drivers to boot.  But be carefull you don't turn off a driver or system resources you don't you need that will mess up your machine BUT you can choose Startup tab and uncheck almost all the prgrams from stopping from booting.

BE CAREFULL NOT TO TURN OFF ANYTHING THAT WILL MESS US UR MACHINE

in other words, don't touch anything you don't know!
RE: Slow Startup by Tobeon on 03-25-2005 at 09:08 AM

it might be a good idea for you to post a HijackThis log for us to have a look at would be easier for us to help then....

(download HijackThis then "Do a system scan and save a logfile" then save the logfile somewhere, then post the logfile text! easy :D

RE: Slow Startup by absorbation on 03-25-2005 at 09:15 AM

Thanks for all your help but I defragment my HD regularly, scan for viruses, aware and spy ware regularly and delete programs I don’t need. However, I do not clean my registry regularly as I don’t know enough about the registry and knowing me, I’ll probably break my computer. :P

RE: Slow Startup by Sunshine on 03-25-2005 at 02:25 PM

A lil help for cleaning the registry: TweakNow RegCleaner ;)

RE: Slow Startup by absorbation on 03-25-2005 at 02:27 PM

I've already have tweaknow :D

RE: Slow Startup by CookieRevised on 03-28-2005 at 09:03 PM

The only program that I know of which lists ALL the startup items (and is totaly free, and is constantly updated, and doesn't need to be installed) is AutoRuns...

And concearning MSConfig, that isn't a realy good way to delete stuff from starting up, it wont be "permanent". See my notes here: "CookieRevised's reply to Start-up Programs".

PS: before posting new threads, you might want to search the forums as such stuff is already asked before and handled. eg:
* "How do you stop things from automatcly apearing when turn on your PC"
* "My computer is becomming SLOW"
;)

RE: Slow Startup by paperless on 03-28-2005 at 10:13 PM

Here is one tip: Uninstall any Symantec products.. my computer is very slow to startup with that programs installed...its a shame because they have a good antivirus, but blah..

Or you can go to the registry:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
And
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
To check what files start with the system there is one(s) more place: Start button -> All programs -> Startup (I think thats the word in the english version of Windows) and delete the one you dont want.