Shoutbox

PSP Or Ipod? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: General Chit Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+----- Thread: PSP Or Ipod? (/showthread.php?tid=41113)

PSP Or Ipod? by albert on 03-25-2005 at 01:15 AM

hey.. my bday's coming up rlly soon.. and well i was suposto get a 20 Gb ipod from my parents.. but now, as i seen the psp that blade got im rlly wondering if I should get a psp.. anyone has advices?

especially if you guys could compare the hard drive thing.. me not knowing that much about the new little cds the PSP uses.. :S

RE: PSP Or Ipod? by MC.POP on 03-25-2005 at 01:18 AM

i got a PSP too and it is great

RE: PSP Or Ipod? by toddy on 03-25-2005 at 01:19 AM

neither, just spend all your money on beer :refuck::P

RE: PSP Or Ipod? by Purity on 03-25-2005 at 01:29 AM

Can't you play music on a PSP to?

RE: PSP Or Ipod? by MC.POP on 03-25-2005 at 01:32 AM

yeah music videos and pictures, but u h ave to buy the special cable for the PSP to hook it up through USB it is about 5$(US).

RE: PSP Or Ipod? by Chestah on 03-25-2005 at 01:51 AM

If you really wanna listen to music i'd advise getting a Creative Zen Micro! i have one myself and it is awesome :D, but if your into playing lots of games and a little bit of music then a PSP :)

RE: PSP Or Ipod? by JunGe on 03-25-2005 at 01:52 AM

Naa.. buy a Sony NetworkT Walkman! its the same as an iPod But is Sony's one..

RE: PSP Or Ipod? by FrozernFire on 03-25-2005 at 02:13 AM

if you listen to lots of music, ipod is the way to go :grin:
if not, just go get the PSP

RE: PSP Or Ipod? by Supersonicdarky on 03-25-2005 at 02:15 AM

get iPod Photo, music and pictures :D

RE: PSP Or Ipod? by Purity on 03-25-2005 at 02:17 AM

PSP can do the same....

including....music vids...PSP is seriosuly PWNage!

But im now gonna upsess over it *cough*blade*cough*

RE: PSP Or Ipod? by Supersonicdarky on 03-25-2005 at 02:20 AM

i know that, but if you don't need most of the features, no need for psp (which is much better)

RE: PSP Or Ipod? by lopardo on 03-25-2005 at 02:26 AM

quote:
Originally posted by lp15
hey.. my bday's coming up rlly soon.. and well i was suposto get a 20 Gb ipod from my parents.. but now, as i seen the psp that blade got im rlly wondering if I should get a psp.. anyone has advices?

especially if you guys could compare the hard drive thing.. me not knowing that much about the new little cds the PSP uses.. :S
Thank your parents, you're very lucky :P

quote:
Originally posted by FrozernFire
if you listen to lots of music, ipod is the way to go :grin:
if not, just go get the PSP
I agree :grin:

quote:
Originally posted by Chestah

If you really wanna listen to music i'd advise getting a Creative Zen Micro! i have one myself and it is awesome , but if your into playing lots of games and a little bit of music then a PSP
Creative sucks! They tech support sucks, they suck in every way one can suck :P (I want my money back - my mp3 discman lasted one year only)

quote:
Originally posted by supersonicdarky
get iPod Photo, music and pictures :D
I still don't get what's the point of only being able to see pictures... :-/

RE: PSP Or Ipod? by albert on 03-25-2005 at 02:27 AM

the thing is i have a huge library of music, that why i think ipod is the best.. but the fact of being able to play videos and games, that is a good point for psp..

anyone has a psp and can show how we play the music? like is there a way to organize the librairy?

what about the disk too, are these rewritable?

also is the psp able to read any movie i burn on a cd from my computer, or does it have to be bought?

RE: PSP Or Ipod? by MC.POP on 03-25-2005 at 03:01 AM

this is a PSP CD they call it a UMD and no it is not rewritable and u cant copy anything on these since u dont have a special drive to put them in to copy things on. and the only way u can put music on PSP is hook to the PC and download them onto the memory stick which is only 32mb.

RE: PSP Or Ipod? by blackjack on 03-25-2005 at 03:05 AM

Go and get a PSP ;) thats a better choice :P

RE: PSP Or Ipod? by wj on 03-25-2005 at 03:09 AM

If you have more the 256mb worth of music you want to drag arround grab an iPod. Otherwise grab a cheap 256mb mp3 player and a PSP for gaming.

RE: PSP Or Ipod? by Guido on 03-25-2005 at 03:20 AM

And, if you choose the PSP, remember to add the price of a decently sized Memory Stick Pro Duo... (let's not even count how much you need to reach the iPod's 20gb of space :P)

RE: PSP Or Ipod? by albert on 03-25-2005 at 03:25 AM

quote:
Originally posted by MC.POP
this is a PSP CD they call it a UMD and no it is not rewritable and u cant copy anything on these since u dont have a special drive to put them in to copy things on. and the only way u can put music on PSP is hook to the PC and download them onto the memory stick which is only 32mb.

32 MB ???? I GOT 4 GB OF SONGS!!! :| HOW manY SONGS IS 32 MB?? NOT EVEN 10?!
RE: PSP Or Ipod? by MC.POP on 03-25-2005 at 03:28 AM

quote:
quote:

32 MB ???? I GOT 4 GB OF SONGS!!! :| HOW manY SONGS IS 32 MB?? NOT EVEN 10?!

i know but that memory stick comes with the PSP but i dont know if u can buy another memory stick with bigger storage to fit in the PSP slot
RE: PSP Or Ipod? by Purity on 03-25-2005 at 03:31 AM

I don't get it... How the hell are you suppose to upload your music vids onto a 32MB stick!?

RE: PSP Or Ipod? by albert on 03-25-2005 at 03:33 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Purity
I don't get it... How the hell are you suppose to upload your music vids onto a 32MB stick!?

I think videos are like dvds, u can actully buy em, u cant do them I think.. te only way to play em is by dvd...

But i stil dont get wtf 32 MB of room for song can do..
RE: PSP Or Ipod? by Guido on 03-25-2005 at 03:36 AM

quote:
You are not supposed to... the PSP is not designed as an iPod video, it's a gaming handheld with some added extras that Sony wants to market a lot, but are not fully mature (for example, to upload videos you have to go through a couple of stages, it's not just "drag and drop")

BTW, for those talking about the USB cable: it's probably cheaper to use a memory card reader to transfer stuff to the MS duo and then use that in the PSP (if you have a sony camera or cellphone that uses Duos, then you can use that as a card reader).

quote:
Nothing :P , you have to buy extra cards.
RE: PSP Or Ipod? by albert on 03-25-2005 at 03:38 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Guido
quote:
You are not supposed to... the PSP is not designed as an iPod video, it's a gaming handheld with some added extras that Sony wants to market a lot, but are not fully mature (for example, to upload videos you have to go through a couple of stages, it's not just "drag and drop")

BTW, for those talking about the USB cable: it's probably cheaper to use a memory card reader to transfer stuff to the MS duo and then use that in the PSP (if you have a sony camera or cellphone that uses Duos, then you can use that as a card reader).

that would explain why the official PSP site dont talk about nething else then the video and gaming part..!

nothing bout music damn it man, i thought u could like burn the ,lil cds, put ur music on thid and then enjoy it.. ****!

quote:
quote:
Nothing :P , you have to buy extra cards.

so how much are the cards.. 32 mb? that like 5 or 6 songs not even.. damn it.. it dont worth it u gon pay like 100000000)$ for cards..
RE: PSP Or Ipod? by Guido on 03-25-2005 at 03:41 AM

quote:
i thought u could like burn the ,lil cds, put ur music on thid and then enjoy it
Nope, UMDs are only meant for retail movies (a la DVDs) and games (for now). The rest is done through the MS Duo slot if I'm not mistaken.
RE: PSP Or Ipod? by Guido on 03-25-2005 at 03:42 AM

quote:
so how much are the cards.. 32 mb? that like 5 or 6 songs not even.. damn it.. it dont worth it u gon pay like 100000000)$ for cards
There are cards with up to 1 or 2gb, but yes, they are expensive :P
RE: PSP Or Ipod? by albert on 03-25-2005 at 03:42 AM

quote:
quote:
i thought u could like burn the ,lil cds, put ur music on thid and then enjoy it
Nope, UMDs are only meant for retail movies (a la DVDs) and games (for now). The rest is done through the MS Duo slot if I'm not mistaken.

:@ im so mad right now.. i hate this why couldnt they add liek a gig of hard drive for music.. :@ ahhhh so mad right noww..
RE: PSP Or Ipod? by Guido on 03-25-2005 at 04:51 AM

quote:
im so mad right now.. i hate this why couldnt they add liek a gig of hard drive for music..  ahhhh so mad right noww..
Because they don't make 1gb hard drives, 1gb of flash memory would've added around $50-100 to the product cost, and finally, because they want you to buy Memory Sticks :P
RE: PSP Or Ipod? by albert on 03-25-2005 at 04:53 AM

quote:
quote:
im so mad right now.. i hate this why couldnt they add liek a gig of hard drive for music..  ahhhh so mad right noww..
Because they don't make 1gb hard drives, 1gb of flash memory would've added around $50-100 to the product cost, and finally, because they want you to buy Memory Sticks :P

i know but it sucks it couldve been soo perfect with some storage capacity for songs..!! :|
RE: PSP Or Ipod? by Purity on 03-25-2005 at 05:03 AM

Are we talking about the PSP?

RE: PSP Or Ipod? by albert on 03-25-2005 at 05:04 AM

quote:
Are we talking about the PSP?

of course, why?
RE: PSP Or Ipod? by Purity on 03-25-2005 at 05:14 AM

I was just confused

RE: PSP Or Ipod? by albert on 03-25-2005 at 05:18 AM

quote:
I was just confused
oki.. it thought all that was said was wrong.. i had a hope.. :(

lol its ok.. i think what i rlly should get is a media player.. but those are freaking expensive.. :(

RE: PSP Or Ipod? by Purity on 03-25-2005 at 05:20 AM

I think the PSP will do somekinda update in a few months

IE: 30GB clip on HD(A)

RE: PSP Or Ipod? by .Roy on 03-25-2005 at 08:19 AM

I would go with PSP! It seems great! You can do much more with it then the iPod

RE: PSP Or Ipod? by FrozernFire on 03-25-2005 at 11:17 AM

the games, memory sticks and UMD are seriously expensive :dodgy: just wait a little longer if u have patience :grin:

RE: PSP Or Ipod? by King For A Day on 03-25-2005 at 11:28 AM

ipods are great but mines a 3rd gen and it randomly decids to miss whole songs when playing, but other than that its a great way to store organize and listen to music, i havent seen alot about psp apart from it has a short battery life but thats all

RE: PSP Or Ipod? by amsie on 03-25-2005 at 02:08 PM

so psp you can play wicked games on it and you get more fun out of that then listening to like 4000 songs :)

RE: PSP Or Ipod? by mwe99 on 03-25-2005 at 02:16 PM

I reckon PSP, cos you can play PSP games on it :) w00t

RE: PSP Or Ipod? by albert on 03-25-2005 at 03:16 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mwe99
I reckon PSP, cos you can play PSP games on it :) w00t

ye but the thing is that i want a mp3 player, something i can listen music from!! now u guys are sue there's no way of writting on these new generatio of cds? the one used on PSP ??!!

cuz if we could bur music on them GOD that would be soo perfeect!
RE: PSP Or Ipod? by saralk on 03-25-2005 at 04:50 PM

a 512MB memory stick sells for about £30 on eBay

RE: PSP Or Ipod? by albert on 03-25-2005 at 05:08 PM

quote:
Originally posted by saralk
a 512MB memory stick sells for about £30 on eBay

can we use any memory stick or does it have to be a special PSP one??
RE: PSP Or Ipod? by Guido on 03-25-2005 at 05:54 PM

quote:
now u guys are sue there's no way of writting on these new generatio of cds?
Yes, there is no way. And they are more like a new generation of minidiscs, not CDs :dodgy:

quote:
Any Memory Stick Duo (the small ones), doesn't matter if it's Sony, if it says PSP, or anything -- it just must be a Memory Stick Duo or Memory Stick Pro Duo.

RE: PSP Or Ipod? by albert on 03-25-2005 at 06:25 PM

quote:
quote:
now u guys are sue there's no way of writting on these new generatio of cds?
Yes, there is no way. And they are more like a new generation of minidiscs, not CDs :dodgy:

quote:
Any Memory Stick Duo (the small ones), doesn't matter if it's Sony, if it says PSP, or anything -- it just must be a Memory Stick Duo or Memory Stick Pro Duo.

thx man appreciate it.. now i rlly dunno.. i jst realized I have a 512 Duo stick at home.. im wondering what to buy.. :| killing me!

RE: PSP Or Ipod? by Purity on 03-25-2005 at 06:33 PM

I think that you should turn this post into a poll.....

RE: PSP Or Ipod? by MC.POP on 03-25-2005 at 06:33 PM

u like music or games more.....basically are u a real gamer.

RE: PSP Or Ipod? by albert on 03-25-2005 at 07:00 PM

quote:
u like music or games more.....basically are u a real gamer.

nop, i just want a good mp3 player.. but  mean i see the PSP, coming with movies and games, and the only console I got is a PS1, ( i usualy play on pc ) and i say maybe that would be better..

quote:
I think that you should turn this post into a poll.....

how do I do that?

RE: PSP Or Ipod? by JunGe on 03-25-2005 at 07:29 PM

Well.. i don't know.. cause I'm a music fan!.. and.. games.. well i prefer listen to music than play games, and i really prefer an iPod than a PSP.. (but if a I win this one in the contest, I will be so pleased xD)..

PD: Escuse my english...

RE: PSP Or Ipod? by Purity on 03-25-2005 at 07:31 PM

If 'I
bought a ipod, I would prolly later regret not getting the PSP....

RE: PSP Or Ipod? by brian on 03-25-2005 at 07:52 PM

I'd definetly go for the PSP, because, you can get more instead of music only, gaming, music, pictures!

RE: PSP Or Ipod? by Fraisie on 03-25-2005 at 07:53 PM

Ask for both ! (Y) :P

RE: PSP Or Ipod? by M73A on 03-25-2005 at 08:00 PM

buy a psp, an and buy a 256 mb mps player...i have a 128mb player and never listen to all the songs.... u dont need the memory ipods have imo...a psp would be a lot better (Y)

RE: PSP Or Ipod? by albert on 03-25-2005 at 08:37 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Fraisie
Ask for both ! (Y) :P

My parents are nice, i gotta admit that paying u about 450$ for a piece of eletronic for ur bday is rlly nice, but.. let's nt push it :P ( i tried it already, they said 1 :( )
RE: PSP Or Ipod? by Odium696 on 03-25-2005 at 10:14 PM

If you have the money to buy a 1GB or so Memory Stick Duo then get the PSP if not... Well you can forget about listening Music in a PSP,

Because you need the memory to save those game saves, and there will not be enough space for music, unless you are ok with hearing the same 15 mp3 over and over again!

Its 15 - 25 mp3 in the PSP against the 7,000+ in the Ipod.... :s

RE: PSP Or Ipod? by Guido on 03-25-2005 at 10:27 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Odium696
15 - 25 mp3
it's at most 8-12 songs with 30mb free in the memory stick that is included.

If you don't care about having your whole music library on the go, and if you don't care about the larger size and weight of the PSP vs. the smaller and thinner mp3 players (iPod, iPod mini, zen micro), and if you have a spare 512mb Memory Stick Duo that you won't need for your camera (i.e., you will be able to use it with the PSP) then go for the PSP.

If you don't care much about games then get the iPod; you'll get  about 625 times the storage that comes with the PSP and a portable hard drive. Movies in the PSP are not that great... you have to buy movies in UMD which are not a lot cheaper than retail DVDs, and not many titles will be released.

(That's my opinion, of course)
RE: RE: PSP Or Ipod? by Odium696 on 03-25-2005 at 10:35 PM

quote:
quote:
15 - 25 mp3
Movies in the PSP are not that great... you have to buy movies in UMD which are not a lot cheaper than retail DVDs, and not many titles will be released.

You are 100% right, and also why spend $13 or more on an UND movie when you can also get the movie en DVD for about the same price and get all the special features and that can be played in all the dvd's!

UMD movies can only be played on the PSP
DVD movies every DVD players, Laptops

So I don't think that the capabilities of viewing Movies should be an important spec that decides if you get the PSP or the Ipod!
RE: PSP Or Ipod? by albert on 03-25-2005 at 10:39 PM

quote:
quote:
15 - 25 mp3
it's at most 8-12 songs with 30mb free in the memory stick that is included.

If you don't care about having your whole music library on the go, and if you don't care about the larger size and weight of the PSP vs. the smaller and thinner mp3 players (iPod, iPod mini, zen micro), and if you have a spare 512mb Memory Stick Duo that you won't need for your camera (i.e., you will be able to use it with the PSP) then go for the PSP.

If you don't care much about games then get the iPod; you'll get  about 625 times the storage that comes with the PSP and a portable hard drive. Movies in the PSP are not that great... you have to buy movies in UMD which are not a lot cheaper than retail DVDs, and not many titles will be released.

Don't know anymore.. :(

The best thing would be a portable media centre.. but those thing cost like 700$ !! :| cant afford that.. :(

RE: PSP Or Ipod? by Odium696 on 03-25-2005 at 10:43 PM

Yo also have to remember the batery life of the PSP cannot be compared with the life of the IPOD!!!

RE: PSP Or Ipod? by albert on 03-25-2005 at 10:55 PM

quote:
Yo also have to remember the batery life of the PSP cannot be compared with the life of the IPOD!!!

good point, didn't think of that, what's up with the batteries? you have any infos??
RE: PSP Or Ipod? by Guido on 03-26-2005 at 12:50 AM

quote:
Because in the iPod you play music and have a b/w screen, in the PSP you have a huge widescreen playing games at like 60fps with a bright light behind it. If you play music with the PSP and the screen off, the battery life won't be as that in the iPod but at least closer.

RE: RE: PSP Or Ipod? by Odium696 on 03-26-2005 at 01:31 AM

quote:
If you play music with the PSP and the screen off, the battery life won't be as that in the iPod but at least closer.

Thats right, but you have to remember that you have to turn on the screen from time to time, and that unless you are buying the PSP just to listen to music you are going to play some video games and that will drain the battery life!

I heard that in some games the battery lasted only for about 3 hours...
RE: PSP Or Ipod? by FrozernFire on 03-26-2005 at 02:32 AM

is the battery of the PSP user-replaceble?

RE: PSP Or Ipod? by Odium696 on 03-26-2005 at 03:04 AM

I think it is just like the DS 's, is a battery pack!

RE: PSP Or Ipod? by John Anderton on 03-26-2005 at 03:50 AM

quote:
But im now gonna upsess over it *cough*blade*cough*
:lol:
Psp .... tho ipod is good but psp is really fun :P
No wait ..... i change my vote .... ill buy an ipod cause we dont get psp games here :( I'll get the psp imported but i'll have to tell someone to bring games too from other countries when they r going :dodgy:
SO ..... IPOD IS WHAT ID TAKE ;)
Tho psp is better :P
RE: PSP Or Ipod? by Purity on 03-26-2005 at 04:51 AM

Bah! I spelt 'not' wrong instead I put 'now' :dodgy:

Just go for the PSP. You wont regret it one bit!:wink:

RE: PSP Or Ipod? by vacuumo on 03-26-2005 at 04:55 AM

Seeing as how I've already got an iPod(40 GB), I'd say the PSP. Of course, I'd rather get a DS.. I haven't got the money for either of them, atm.

RE: PSP Or Ipod? by albert on 03-26-2005 at 05:00 AM

I think imma get the PSP cuz i already got a memory stick card.. so imma add it and have all option..

unless i get the ipod.. cuz i wont buy lot of games, neither movies..

argghh so hard to choose sometimes!

RE: PSP Or Ipod? by Odium696 on 03-26-2005 at 05:17 AM

:^)yes it sometimes is hard to chose!8o|

Ipod- if you get the ipod, well you don't have to spend that much more cuz you can get the music Illegally (NOT SAYING YOU SHOULD) or through iTunes and it will still be cheaper than 1 game for the PSP.

PSP- well here is exactly the same but now that you have the PSP you will want to get some games from time to time... and thats $40 a POP!!

(I got the Ipod, Can't live without it!)

RE: PSP Or Ipod? by Purity on 03-26-2005 at 05:24 AM

Download music is legal if you live in Canada!:wink:

RE: PSP Or Ipod? by Odium696 on 03-26-2005 at 05:27 AM

Well then a bigger reason to get the Ipod! :P
You need more space to be able to store more music!

RE: PSP Or Ipod? by Guido on 03-26-2005 at 05:09 PM

And remember... will you be carrying the PSP everywhere? The iPod is smaller, thinner and lighter -- the PSP is not as "pocket friendly".

RE: PSP Or Ipod? by .Roy on 03-26-2005 at 05:10 PM

iPod isnt pocket freindly either. Its gigantic! Unless you are talking about iPod shuffle.

RE: PSP Or Ipod? by fluffy_lobster on 03-26-2005 at 05:15 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Hobbes
iPod isnt pocket freindly either. Its gigantic! Unless you are talking about iPod shuffle.
In what way? :-/  I have a 30 gb ipod shuffle with a case on in my pocket right now and it's not squeezed in or anything.  I suppose if you wear tight clothing then it might be different but as far as I'm concerned it's very pocket friendly.
RE: PSP Or Ipod? by Guido on 03-26-2005 at 05:43 PM

quote:
Its gigantic!
I never said it was small, I said it was smaller, thinner, lighter and more pocket friendly than the PSP... you can't argue with that :P

Of course, the iPod mini and the Zen Micro are much smaller and portable, and of course the shuffle and all the other better flash players tend to be smaller.

quote:
Originally posted by fluffy_lobster
I have a 30 gb ipod shuffle
*cough* huh? :gfdrin:
RE: RE: PSP Or Ipod? by Odium696 on 03-26-2005 at 05:58 PM

quote:
I have a 30 gb ipod shuffle...

Your special :P

quote:

...:s
The newer Ipods are really small, maybe your talking about the old one...

Cuz I have a Ipod v.2 and It fits perfectly in all my pants pockets!
RE: PSP Or Ipod? by FrozernFire on 03-27-2005 at 03:10 AM

quote:
30 gb ipod shuffle
more like ipod photo :P
and i have no problems with an ipod in my pocket. they arent gigantic... and it's smaller than all the wallets i have carried around everyday all these years
RE: PSP Or Ipod? by albert on 03-27-2005 at 03:13 AM

Ppl i think imma stay with the ipod finally.. cuz the more i think about it, the more i realize im never gon buy any games neither am i gonna buy movies.. sooo IIPPOODDDD :) thx all for ur opinions and suggestions

RE: PSP Or Ipod? by Odium696 on 03-27-2005 at 03:25 AM

You will not regret it one bit!(Y)

enjoy!

RE: PSP Or Ipod? by albert on 03-27-2005 at 03:56 AM

quote:
You will not regret it one bit!(Y)

enjoy!

thx :) waiting till the 8th now :)
RE: PSP Or Ipod? by Fraisie on 03-27-2005 at 03:59 AM

iPod or iPod mini ? 'cause I've got a mini and I LOVE it !

RE: PSP Or Ipod? by Val on 03-27-2005 at 04:04 AM

quote:
the memory stick which is only 32mb.
But you can buy a memory sticky thats 1 gb so that would be good for listeing to music as well my geusse is that the 1 gb costs over $100 CAD thats wat ebgames said i think it would be more
RE: PSP Or Ipod? by Joe on 03-27-2005 at 04:04 AM

iPod would have to be for the more hardcore Rockers....(or any other kind of music they love).... 20 Gigs... that's a lot of music

Mini all the way :)

EDIT: but between the PSP and iPod..... Make it Sony instead