Shoutbox

msn 6.2 - webcam stopped working with error "USB Device not recognized" - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! Help (/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+----- Thread: msn 6.2 - webcam stopped working with error "USB Device not recognized" (/showthread.php?tid=41177)

msn 6.2 - webcam stopped working with error "USB Device not recognized" by mansoor on 03-25-2005 at 07:13 PM

Hi all,

I have been on msn 6.2 for sometime when I decided to install Messenger Plus. Immediately after that my logitech cam stopped working when I tried using it. The error in short was "USB Device not recognized".

After that the cam would work randomly every now and then. I have now uninstalled Messenger Plus and uninstalled/reinstalled msn 6.2 but the cam is constantly giving the error "USB Device not recognized" when I plug it in (even with msn not running). I tried the cam on a separate machine and it was working fine.

Has anyone else hit this problem before or have any suugestions please?

I am on T42 Thinkpad, Window XP SP1, all latest patches including the two USB patches recommended by logitech.

Thank you for any help.

MMJ

RE: msn 6.2 - webcam stopped working with error "USB Device not recognized" by matty on 03-25-2005 at 07:37 PM

Seems like a USB Driver issue. Try to reinstal the drivers from the CD that you would have gotten with the cam.

RE: msn 6.2 - webcam stopped working with error "USB Device not recognized" by mwe99 on 03-25-2005 at 07:45 PM

Yeah i agree, it's more of a hardware problem.. try restarting the computer to see if Win XP detects it

RE: msn 6.2 - webcam stopped working with error "USB Device not recognized" by jren207 on 03-25-2005 at 10:14 PM

Unplug it, restart, then plug it in, then restart again. See if it makes that device connected sound when it's plugged in.

RE: msn 6.2 - webcam stopped working with error "USB Device not recognized" by gif83 on 03-25-2005 at 10:46 PM

grr my camcorer that i got today has webcam function but it ain't working on msn messenger 6.2 or 7 (BETA).

the streaming to my pc is fine and you can see it working on the "webcam settings" on msn msg, but when i try to send and invite it immediately cancels it.

it's starting to piss me off now

RE: msn 6.2 - webcam stopped working with error "USB Device not recognized" by matty on 03-25-2005 at 10:57 PM

quote:
Originally posted by gif83
grr my camcorer that i got today has webcam function but it ain't working on msn messenger 6.2 or 7 (BETA).

the streaming to my pc is fine and you can see it working on the "webcam settings" on msn msg, but when i try to send and invite it immediately cancels it.

Make sure you have done the Audio/Video Tuning Wizard. You will have to do this each time you change the port its connected to.
RE: msn 6.2 - webcam stopped working with error "USB Device not recognized" by gif83 on 03-25-2005 at 10:59 PM

done that over a billion times today... ok so maybea slight exaggeration but you get what i mean

RE: msn 6.2 - webcam stopped working with error "USB Device not recognized" by homer_simpson on 03-26-2005 at 12:13 AM

try uninstalling the program then reinstalling it , or try a different USB port that might do the trick

RE: msn 6.2 - webcam stopped working with error "USB Device not recognized" by jren207 on 03-26-2005 at 01:35 AM

quote:
Originally posted by gif83

Are there different USB modes on your camcorder's menu.

Even though I have a digital camera that has no webcam capabilities, it has different USB modes such as Normal (acts like a connected disc drive), PTP (Gets recognised as a camera in the cameras and scanners section of xp) and pictbridge (for connecting straight to a pictbridge printer).

maybe, msn doesn't like the mode?

Try looking through it's menus....
RE: msn 6.2 - webcam stopped working with error "USB Device not recognized" by gif83 on 03-26-2005 at 08:11 PM

it's actually a worse situation when i do it through USB... so i'm sticking with the firewire connection... and yes it is in the correct mode.

RE: msn 6.2 - webcam stopped working with error "USB Device not recognized" by phy on 03-26-2005 at 08:49 PM

Yah my webcam has a mind of it's own too. He works for himself. Vat a doink 8-)