Shoutbox

Media Player freezes Internet Explorer - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Media Player freezes Internet Explorer (/showthread.php?tid=41244)

Media Player freezes Internet Explorer by jmccarroll on 03-26-2005 at 09:16 PM

Everytime I try to play a video in Internet Explorer my internet freezes and I have to do the [ctrl-atl-del] thing to end the process because it doesn't respond.  How do I need to go about fixing it.  It's been happening for probably about a couple months now and is really starting to annoy the hell out of me.

RE: Media Player freezes Internet Explorer by frack on 03-26-2005 at 09:18 PM

i think its just that youve got many things running or that your computer cant take running so many programs mine does that sometimes with media player

RE: Media Player freezes Internet Explorer by Anubis on 03-26-2005 at 09:32 PM

Is it when you play any video file? Or is it specific to one type like Windows streamed video, an .avi file, a .wmv file or quicktime?

What version of windows are you using?

Try reinstalling Internet Explorer and Windows Media Player from the microsoft website.

How much RAM does your computer have To find out click Start > Control Panel (classic view) > System > look in the lower right hand corner.

RE: Media Player freezes Internet Explorer by jmccarroll on 03-26-2005 at 10:09 PM

It's just streamed videos as far as I can tell...

Windows XP SP1
RAM 448 MB

I've already uninstalled and reinstalled Media Player... Let me go do Internet Explorer and I'll get back to you.

RE: Media Player freezes Internet Explorer by mwe99 on 03-26-2005 at 10:12 PM

What version of Media Player are you running too by the way?

RE: Media Player freezes Internet Explorer by .Roy on 03-26-2005 at 10:27 PM

Probobly have to much prossesses running..

click ctrl alt delete . And click processess. How many do u have (it says at the bottom)?

RE: Media Player freezes Internet Explorer by jmccarroll on 03-26-2005 at 10:28 PM

Reinstalled both and nothing helped.  And I'm running Media Player 10...

Running 42 processes right now...

Would updating to SP2 help any?  And if I do will I lose all my stuff or will it just update it and keep all my settings and programs?

RE: Media Player freezes Internet Explorer by .Roy on 03-26-2005 at 10:31 PM

SP2 wont change anything really. I dont think it will help.

I think your problem is that to much things are running..

Try downloading FIREFOX its another webbrowser. Tell me if the media works there

RE: Media Player freezes Internet Explorer by mwe99 on 03-26-2005 at 10:34 PM

Yeah i think you're running too much.. in Internet Explorer, check Tools > Internet Options > Advanced and look for multimedia to check that it does show videos :) 

RE: Media Player freezes Internet Explorer by albert on 03-26-2005 at 10:40 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Hobbes
SP2 wont change anything really. I dont think it will help.

I think your problem is that to much things are running..

Try downloading FIREFOX its another webbrowser. Tell me if the media works there
quote:
Originally posted by mwe99
Yeah i think you're running too much.. in Internet Explorer, check Tools > Internet Options > Advanced and look for multimedia to check that it does show videos :)

Got 448, with 51 processes running.. no problem loading vids/music..

id suggest to change to Firefox.. reliable and faster, altough u have to install lots of plugins to get all the explorer's options.. still is worth it
RE: Media Player freezes Internet Explorer by aussie_sas on 11-21-2005 at 01:09 AM

I had the same problem and it was getting frustrating cause i formated to have the same problem and at first  i thought it was network/internet conection but i was wrong there then i thought it could be a error in a iq for my sound card i was wrong there so i then said it really has to be drivers so I updated my via system drivers to i think the latest hyperion or something like that drivers and updated my ac97 drivers and wallah it works better then perfect i would say it was the via agp slot drivers not to sure but it all worked fine.

hope this works for all of you out ther
aussie sas

RE: RE: Media Player freezes Internet Explorer by rav0 on 11-21-2005 at 05:33 AM

quote:
Originally posted by jmccarroll
Would updating to SP2 help any?  And if I do will I lose all my stuff or will it just update it and keep all my settings and programs?

Updating to Service Pack 2 may help, though I can't see the direct effect it will have.

Even if it doesn't fix the problem you are having now, it is still good up update.

Updating will not erase any settings or documents at all, it will go right on top of what you have set up now, and keep all user stuff.