Shoutbox

What made you get MSN Messenger? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: General Chit Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+----- Thread: What made you get MSN Messenger? (/showthread.php?tid=41267)

What made you get MSN Messenger? by Odium696 on 03-27-2005 at 04:33 AM

What's the reason that made you get the messenger in the fist place?

-A friend got you into it?
-You found it and made everyone follow?

Post your Story!

-------
I my case, I found out that it existed and got everyone in my school to use it.

RE: What made you get MSN Messenger? by Joa on 03-27-2005 at 04:43 AM

all cuz of a friend.

i used to only use ICQ. BUT, about 1.5 years ago my friend moved to another city and stopped using ICQ :| and than he made me use msn cuz otherwise i wouldn't be able to talk to him.. :undecided:

after i got into it i stopped using icq as well, and after a while everybody i know converted to msn, now everybody has it. (h) it rules.

RE: What made you get MSN Messenger? by *Saint* on 03-27-2005 at 04:45 AM

My Cousin Aaron in New Brunswick before i got a computer showed me   now i only talk to friends on it

RE: What made you get MSN Messenger? by Hank on 03-27-2005 at 04:46 AM

i started using Windows Messenger back in the 90's  an ICQ late 90's i now use MSN Messenger for well coz of MsgPlus an just chattin an sendin files over MSN  ( just wish file transfers over msn was better )

RE: RE: What made you get MSN Messenger? by Ash_ on 03-27-2005 at 04:49 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Demz
i started using Windows Messenger back in the 90's  an ICQ late 90's i now use MSN Messenger for well coz of MsgPlus an just chattin an sendin files over MSN  ( just wish file transfers over msn was better )

*cough* Cybersex *cough* :P

well i got into it because of IRC i dint want to talk to all the newbs.

thats why i only have elite people on my list :P
RE: What made you get MSN Messenger? by Purity on 03-27-2005 at 04:52 AM

My girlfriend was using it (when we were like 8-9 yrs old) and i'm like, what's this, your always talking to your cuzins on it and stuff... how does it work....I didn't know I already had msn....I didn't know that hotmail was associated with it...:P Yeah, she got my into it...

RE: What made you get MSN Messenger? by prashker on 03-27-2005 at 04:55 AM

if had msn since i was 6. and im 11 now. I dunno why i got it . I got it then all my friends got it.

RE: What made you get MSN Messenger? by Mnjul on 03-27-2005 at 05:02 AM

My classmate/friend invited me...I clearly remember that it was MSN Messenger 3.0.0025 and on May 16 2001. My friend and I ]had actually been in cold war until then...But on May 16, he invited me to use MSN Messenger....and we reached reconciliation and rebuilt friendship. :) It was the best birthday gift I've ever got. (May 17 was my 14th birthday)

RE: What made you get MSN Messenger? by Fraisie on 03-27-2005 at 05:30 AM

I just remember using it... :/

Started out with mIRC (Patchou prefered pIRCh at that time), and ICQ (Mirabilis?), and I had an hotmail account even before it was bought by Microsoft... man I'm old :P

RE: What made you get MSN Messenger? by Odium696 on 03-27-2005 at 05:39 AM

Nice history!

As I said before I was the first in my school but there is a back story to it all!,

Before I even had Internet most of my classmates were using ICQ, and they were always talking about how awesome it was to talk trough the Internet and all.

After months of asking my parents they finally go me connected to the internet (56K :S), and one of the first things I did was to download ICQ. When my dad found out I had ICQ he made me uninstall it because at that time there were many news about ICQ being unsecured and that hacker could get into my PC.

Because of that I started looking for an alternative, and I found the MSN Messenger (Or Windows Messenger at that time).

RE: What made you get MSN Messenger? by Mr. Gary on 03-27-2005 at 06:24 AM

well i started using it,

to store email adresses :$

and then i noticed that somitimes, that ppl got connected, and i really found the meaning of IM :p

i was like 11 :|

RE: What made you get MSN Messenger? by wj on 03-27-2005 at 06:39 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Fraisie
I just remember using it... :/

Started out with mIRC (Patchou prefered pIRCh at that time), and ICQ (Mirabilis?), and I had an hotmail account even before it was bought by Microsoft... man I'm old :P

Dang.... I remember when AOL first released there instant messenger, It was really fun to toy with at the time (I think it was version 1.5 or 2.0), Dag nabbit, that was at least 10 years ago.... Wow.... That poor ol 486 DX/33, That was a good computer......

But to answer the question......

Chris Boulton did!!!!!!!
RE: What made you get MSN Messenger? by WDZ on 03-27-2005 at 06:47 AM

Back in 2000 or 2001, a friend said I should get MSN Messenger and add him... and I did. O_o

RE: What made you get MSN Messenger? by Eljay on 03-27-2005 at 07:30 AM

same as above people

my mate told me to get it and i did..

RE: What made you get MSN Messenger? by albert on 03-27-2005 at 07:33 AM

my sis was chatting and i felt rejected not doing anything on the web so i created an account and ot my friends into it.. :)

RE: What made you get MSN Messenger? by FrozernFire on 03-27-2005 at 11:30 AM

all my friends were using it when they were on broadband and i was still on dialup. so once i had my broadband, :banana:

RE: What made you get MSN Messenger? by absorbation on 03-27-2005 at 11:34 AM

Was on my comupter 4 ever then about a year ago it got an e-mail address then used it :O

RE: What made you get MSN Messenger? by .Roy on 03-27-2005 at 11:38 AM

2 years ago. I think it was to add my girlfriend im not sure.

RE: What made you get MSN Messenger? by crank on 03-27-2005 at 11:42 AM

Dunno when i started using it but i just got this computer then so about 3 years prolly and i used Windows Messenger first till a friend of mine ( i just started making n00bish skins for Windows Messenger (4.7)) asked me to make a skin for MSN Messenger, so i downloaded it and never stopped using it ever since...

RE: What made you get MSN Messenger? by blackjack on 03-27-2005 at 11:44 AM

Actually.. i just watched my Big sister chatting.. i was a little kid.. and said c'mon what are you doing that is not funny.. writing something to someone you dont see? (Not webcam conversation at that time :P) and said get a life.. then all of my friends were talking about it.. and then (i) Light come to my life :P i decided to register an email acount.. then Whoala! start adding people :P.. Nice isnt it?

RE: What made you get MSN Messenger? by Plik on 03-27-2005 at 11:44 AM

my mates where to lazy to email me so they made me get in :banana:
now i own them on it :P

quote:
Originally posted by Ash_
thats why i only have elite people on my list
So thats why im on it :p
RE: What made you get MSN Messenger? by King For A Day on 03-27-2005 at 11:49 AM

we had a very origanal version built into the old computer but there was no body to tal kto because at the time no body i knew had a comp, then that broke down and we didnt have one for about 4 years, now we have a new one i found everyone was on messenger now so i got it again and havent looked back

RE: What made you get MSN Messenger? by Eljay on 03-27-2005 at 12:18 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Madman

quote:
Originally posted by Ash_
thats why i only have elite people on my list
So thats why im on it :p

and me \o/
RE: What made you get MSN Messenger? by Fraisie on 03-27-2005 at 02:46 PM

quote:
Originally posted by gary_qwerty
well i started using it,

to store email adresses :$

and then i noticed that somitimes, that ppl got connected, and i really found the meaning of IM :p

i was like 11 :|

Which was like 2 years ago :P
RE: What made you get MSN Messenger? by Lilo on 03-27-2005 at 03:01 PM

I used to have ICQ, but some of my friends thought that was too complicated or something (in using), so they had messenger instead, and yeah, i still wanted to talk to them, so installed messenger as well. And now everyone uses messenger, so i havent even got ICQ anymore ;)

RE: What made you get MSN Messenger? by Anubis on 03-27-2005 at 03:04 PM

Four years ago when I went to secondary school everyone seemed to use it, they still do to this day, so that's how I got into it. Everyone was always on it...I can't remember who specifically inspired me to go on

RE: What made you get MSN Messenger? by Zephyr on 03-27-2005 at 04:38 PM

I started using MSN Messenger about 3 years ago when I had dialup but didnt use it that much. Loads of my friends had it then, I think thats why i downloaded it. Then now i've got my new computer and broadband, i'm like never offline.

RE: What made you get MSN Messenger? by Millenium_edition on 03-27-2005 at 04:43 PM

I used to chat on MSN chat (which is closed now). They all asked me if i had msn, so after saying no 52 times, I ended up downloading it. I used my mum's account but after a while it got boring, so I got my own ^-^
Then I invited all my friends to join me and that's what they did.

RE: What made you get MSN Messenger? by mwe99 on 03-27-2005 at 05:44 PM

I heard people talking about it in school... probably 3/4 years ago... i searched... i downloaded... i'm hardly ever offline :)

RE: What made you get MSN Messenger? by jren207 on 03-27-2005 at 06:06 PM

I've been using MSN Messenger since 5.0 (well, I first used Windows Messenger 4.7), really because everybody else was :P

RE: What made you get MSN Messenger? by Rik on 03-28-2005 at 02:22 PM

I use it since i have internet...My cousin tould me where i can get it, but any one of my friends that have e-mail didn't know about it :(

RE: What made you get MSN Messenger? by damc on 03-29-2005 at 07:16 AM

my brother did it

RE: What made you get MSN Messenger? by John on 03-29-2005 at 10:50 AM

I used Trillian for ages (connecting to the MSN server with it since all my friends used MSNM) and it was awesome, it's way better than just plain MSNM, but ever since Plus! came along I switched over to MSNM. ;) (I still miss Trillian sometimes though. :( But I can't live without Plus! :P )

RE: What made you get MSN Messenger? by Naruto on 03-29-2005 at 12:35 PM

well my friends (like duh) and family

RE: What made you get MSN Messenger? by user44571 on 03-29-2005 at 12:36 PM

my mum put it on my computer and made me an account and then told me she had