Shoutbox

7.0732 crack down of virus's many not work - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: 7.0732 crack down of virus's many not work (/showthread.php?tid=41359)

7.0732 crack down of virus's many not work by absorbation on 03-28-2005 at 02:17 PM

The new leaked msn messenger 7.0732 has a new feature of blocking certain files to stop instant messenger viruses from spreading. These include:

ade .adp .app .asp .bas .bat .cer .chm .cmd .com .cpl
.crt .csh .exe .fxp .hlp .hta .inf .ins .isp .its .js .jse .ksh .lnk
.mad .maf .mag .mam .maq .mar .mas .mat .mau .mav
.maw .mda .mdb .mde .mdt .mdw .mdz .msc .msi .msp .mst
.ops .pcd .pif .prf .prg .pst .reg .scf .scr .sct .shb .shs .tmp
.url .vb .vbe .vbs .vsd .vsmacros .vss .vst .vsw .ws .wsc .wsf .wsh

The person sending the file is blocked from it. We know this because anyone using 7.732 cannot send these files to version of msn messenger.

So let’s say someone makes a virus. They tweak their msn so they can send those files and send them to random people. The random person can see the file and they download it. The virus also changes their msn so they can send those files as well and soon everyone is as infected just as usual. :o

Opps i posted in the wrong area Ansorbation bangs himself on head

Therefore, virus makers can find a way past this new feature and still send virus to millions. :@

What do you think so this? :P

And because .exe files are blocked, we can't send programmes to people anymore and msgplus can't be downloaded by instant messages anymore. :(

Opps i posted in the wrong area :$ *Absorbation bangs himself on head

RE: 7.0732 crack down of virus's many not work by .Roy on 03-28-2005 at 02:22 PM

lol... why block .com? Those are just urls. Fucking MSN MESSENGER

RE: 7.0732 crack down of virus's many not work by paperless on 03-28-2005 at 02:23 PM

There are always new ways of passing the security means..

If it was made up by a human, humans can "dismake it" :).

RE: RE: 7.0732 crack down of virus's many not work by PaPalemon on 03-28-2005 at 02:37 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Hobbes

I think .com is a file extension... not the url...=X hehe
RE: 7.0732 crack down of virus's many not work by absorbation on 03-28-2005 at 02:38 PM

I think only .pif should be blocked :P

RE: RE: 7.0732 crack down of virus's many not work by Bad Seed on 03-28-2005 at 02:38 PM

quote:

They are talking about .com files, not urls ;).
RE: 7.0732 crack down of virus's many not work by absorbation on 03-28-2005 at 02:40 PM

quote:
Command file, mostly smaller than 64 Kb. Initial file contents are for executables produced by Borland Turbo Pascal 3.0x only; other compilers may leave a different signature and .COM files created using different techniques may have no signature at all (e.g., see the EICAR listing on this page). COM files are structured so that they load completely in memory and execute from there. Note: This file type can become infected and should be carefully scanned if someone sends you a file with this extension.

RE: 7.0732 crack down of virus's many not work by mwe99 on 03-28-2005 at 02:41 PM

It's pretty stupid! Anyone know any other IM programs that block them too? MSN continue stopping people then people are probably gonna change to something else

RE: 7.0732 crack down of virus's many not work by absorbation on 03-28-2005 at 05:51 PM

There should be an option to disable the blocked extensions.

RE: 7.0732 crack down of virus's many not work by Anubis on 03-28-2005 at 06:04 PM

Viruses could be contained in file extensions that aren't even listed there, it may not be as easy but you can hide worms and stuff inside a ton of extensions, but yes this will stop the amount of viruses being sent via MSN Messenger.

However it seems to me just like Microsoft are trying to create another one of their new security features in their new idea to dominate the computer security market, this though is just scraping the barrel for any idea they can, why don't they just give a warning the first time you send a file saying "It is recommended you install a virus scanner and have it configured to scan incoming files that have been sent by contacts on MSN Messenger", that would suit most people. I am glad to a point this is in, because I'm sick of some people I know constantly (on automatic) sending me crap stuff like the picturecentre and that other one a while back, but I'd prefer just a warning the first time you send a file, or the first few times.

I can't be pestered having to .zip to executable files I send I send. I'm only glad StuffPlug-NG has a feature to do this on-the-fly.

Hopefully MS will remove this "feature", to avoid some people resorting slowly to other IM clients.

RE: 7.0732 crack down of virus's many not work by albert on 03-28-2005 at 06:14 PM

wasnt this thread already posted??!!

anyways.. i dont think its such a big deal.. i think its a good idea, being that a lot of chatter accept wte files from any1!

RE: 7.0732 crack down of virus's many not work by *Saint* on 03-28-2005 at 06:18 PM

quote:
Originally posted by lp15
wasnt this thread already posted??!!

anyways.. i dont think its such a big deal.. i think its a good idea, being that a lot of chatter accept wte files from any1!

yes it was

http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=41028&page=1
RE: 7.0732 crack down of virus's many not work by Y2Pdogg on 03-28-2005 at 07:44 PM

I think it's a great idea from MSN. If you want to send a file and don't want to bother zipping it...you can always go to places like yousendit.com, youshareit.com, or rapidshare.com and upload the file there and then give the link to your friends. (Y) to MSN

RE: 7.0732 crack down of virus's many not work by prashker on 03-28-2005 at 07:44 PM

quote:
block .com

.com isent just a url. go to Start Run>command.com

RE: 7.0732 crack down of virus's many not work by ayjay on 03-28-2005 at 08:36 PM

Tbh, MSN is starting to annoy me.

Their software has being getting crapper and annoying me more for a while now and now they add crap like this!

If people weren't such noobs, they would maybe be able to tell that
"SEXy_PICS_OF_SOMEONE_YOU_DONT_KNOW_WHICH_IM_NOT_EVEN_SENDING_TO_YOU_BECAUSE_THIS_IS_A_VIRUS_.pif"
has a small chance of being a virus. What's the point of blocking these? If people are stupid enough to get these viruses then they deserve it lol.

Anywho... bye! :P

RE: 7.0732 crack down of virus's many not work by ddunk on 03-28-2005 at 09:10 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Absorbation
So let’s say someone makes a virus. They tweak their msn so they can send those files and send them to random people. The random person can see the file and they download it. The virus also changes their msn so they can send those files as well and soon everyone is as infected just as usual.

Not quite. MSNM only blocks the files on the receiving end, not on the sending end. So the person receiving would have to have the modified MSNM.
RE: 7.0732 crack down of virus's many not work by blackjack on 03-28-2005 at 09:22 PM

I think everytime someone sends a file a message should appear, Saying: This file could be a potential virus click here to learn more. and then that link take you to some database created by msn, and describes a little each extension and what is it function, i know the first time someone sends something a message appear. but only one time, :S..  what im saying i think its better.. that should be improved in next versions

RE: 7.0732 crack down of virus's many not work by albert on 03-28-2005 at 10:10 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ajd
Tbh, MSN is starting to annoy me.

Their software has being getting crapper and annoying me more for a while now and now they add crap like this!

If people weren't such noobs, they would maybe be able to tell that
"SEXy_PICS_OF_SOMEONE_YOU_DONT_KNOW_WHICH_IM_NOT_EVEN_SENDING_TO_YOU_BECAUSE_THIS_IS_A_VIRUS_.pif"
has a small chance of being a virus. What's the point of blocking these? If people are stupid enough to get these viruses then they deserve it lol.

Anywho... bye! :P

ye i said the same thing at first cuz i was rlly mad n i was like fuck stupid ppl they rlly idiots they should die or smt like that n ye some1
just like.. blasted me saying not every1 knows this n wte.. i apologized but still knew that if ppl were dumb enough to accept it then they deserve it.. then i realized both my sis cought them n I was like.. :| dont telll no fucking one!

RE: 7.0732 crack down of virus's many not work by absorbation on 03-29-2005 at 11:56 AM

They should scan instant message files to see if they are infected. :P

RE: 7.0732 crack down of virus's many not work by PaPalemon on 03-29-2005 at 11:58 AM

Anyway it's just a private beta, I'm sure the msn team would improve on the functions of this features... things tat you are seeing now are in testing... i guess we just need to feedback... =X

RE: 7.0732 crack down of virus's many not work by CookieRevised on 03-29-2005 at 01:00 PM

quote:
Tools > Options > Messages > File Transfer > "Scan files for viruses using:"

^^ an option wich is used far to less...
RE: 7.0732 crack down of virus's many not work by absorbation on 03-29-2005 at 02:02 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
quote:

Yeh, but to the people accepting the files may not have an anti virus. It should be like how they scan e-mail attachments.

RE: 7.0732 crack down of virus's many not work by CookieRevised on 03-29-2005 at 02:13 PM

quote:
quote:
quote:

Yeh, but to the people accepting the files may not have an anti virus. It should be like how they scan e-mail attachments.
No, that would totaly screw up the already slow file transfer system. And I don't want my file first send to a MSN server to let it check for virusses and then transfer it to my contact. Not only would the online virus check never be that good, if something like this is implemented people are going to trust upon it. Like I said, people should simply learn to use the option already in MSN Messenger to scan their received files for virusses. All these features and ideas do is making people depent and trust on other systems and making people unaware and lazy...

People should learn how to use the net (don't except anything, scan stuff before opening, etc...). And nobody will learn anything with features like that...
RE: 7.0732 crack down of virus's many not work by zaidgs on 03-29-2005 at 04:36 PM

ok, i just wanna ask a question: who isnt annoyed by hotmail's file blocking?!?! although my primary email is yahoo, i use hotmail sometimes, but i get so pissed off when i send\recieve emails with blocked attachments...
now msn messenger will do same as hotmail.....

RE: 7.0732 crack down of virus's many not work by spokes on 03-29-2005 at 04:44 PM

since the blocking of files has been added my contacts file transfers have been appearing in other contacts windows!

e.g
Joe sends me a file
In Bobs window i get the error '*@*.* tried to send you a file (File name.ext). This file has been blocked because it is potentially unsafe.'

RE: 7.0732 crack down of virus's many not work by Anubis on 03-29-2005 at 04:53 PM

If Microsoft also made a free antivirus like they did with their firewall or anti-spyware. That would be updated regularly, had an active-scan and was included with Windows, I believe that viruses would be cut down extremely significantly, the less computer able people don't care about how stuff works, they just want it to do stuff. If MS made it simple, easy and free the virus risks would be extremely low.
The Windows firewall and anti-spyware is no where as near as useful as this would be. I know it would be a few problems in the whole "dominating" market thing, but it would do a lot of good. Instead they resort to ideas like this.

quote:
Like I said, people should simply learn to use the option already in MSN Messenger to scan their received files for virusses
Most Anti-Virus software out there will automatically configure MSN Messenger to do this automatically which makes it easier for less computer able users, I was glad when most included this.
RE: RE: 7.0732 crack down of virus's many not work by noroom on 03-29-2005 at 05:21 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Ddunk
quote:
So let’s say someone makes a virus. They tweak their msn so they can send those files and send them to random people. The random person can see the file and they download it. The virus also changes their msn so they can send those files as well and soon everyone is as infected just as usual.

Not quite. MSNM only blocks the files on the receiving end, not on the sending end. So the person receiving would have to have the modified MSNM.

Completely right. The best post so far.
RE: 7.0732 crack down of virus's many not work by CookieRevised on 03-29-2005 at 11:13 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Patches
How about a replacement file? Inside MSN Messenger lys the code which is blocking these extensions, could someone just modify the code to allow these extensions?

Or would that count as Patching?
indeed, that _is exactly_ what patching is....

(and such patches will be available for sure if the block function can't be disabled in MSN Messenger by normal means)

But since this is still in serious beta stage! (In fact, they are testing it right know) Let's not jump to conclusions and dreaming of big patches which will fix this and which will kick MSN in the but... Just wait till MSN Messenger 7 is officially released...
RE: 7.0732 crack down of virus's many not work by linx05 on 03-30-2005 at 03:34 PM

Here is a great tip I found in the signature of someone in the mess.be forums (thanks MoRiA). It is all explained here. Just download the file. Maybe try to get your noob contacts to accept it and add it to their registry?