Shoutbox

Firewalls - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Firewalls (/showthread.php?tid=41383)

Firewalls by absorbation on 03-28-2005 at 08:11 PM

Firewalls

A firewall is important. Windows has a bulit in firewall which is effective, i use better protection as i found out how many ports were insurure.

Two excellent free firewalls are Zonealarm and Sygate.

Sygate:

[Image: new.PNG]

I personally use Sygate. Although Zonealarm has better protection, it takes up a huge amount of process memory are start-up is extremely slow.

Firewalls protect you from hackers are block certain content from entering your computer and for certain programs connecting to the internet. You should regularly test your firewall.

It is recommended you have only one firewall.
RE: Firewalls by M73A on 03-28-2005 at 08:12 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Absorbation
Never have two firewalls running at once.[/color]

how comes???*-)
RE: Firewalls by mad_onion on 03-28-2005 at 08:14 PM

lol i only use Windows Firewall and to my spyware scanner never picks up anything neither does my anti-virus. until i get some kind of infection or problem i will stick with Windows Firewall.

RE: Firewalls by CookieRevised on 03-28-2005 at 08:16 PM

quote:
Windows has a basic firewall although it is not very effective.
Which is not true! Windows build in firewall is as effective as any other firewall!!!!

quote:
Firewalls protect you from hackers are block certain content from entering your computer. You should regularly test your firewall.
That's all incomming traffic you're talking about. Firewalls can also protect for outgoing traffic.

quote:
Originally posted by may73alliance
quote:
Never have two firewalls running at once.
how comes???*-)
Because that wouldn't make any sense. Once a thing is blocked you can not block it "more", blocked is blocked....

PS: fix your screenshot, it messes up the threadlayout. Make the screenshot smaller...
RE: Firewalls by mad_onion on 03-28-2005 at 08:19 PM

yes basically from cookieRevised's analysis of your thread we can see that the information is wrong and the thread itself has very little use. now what about the other two of them....

RE: Firewalls by absorbation on 03-28-2005 at 08:22 PM

I accept your critism and i am fixing it i made this thread to help people. I'm doing a bad job of it. :$

RE: Firewalls by .Roy on 03-28-2005 at 08:24 PM

its not that ur not helping people :D Its just that well, we dont need this kind of help. Its already known by many :P

RE: Firewalls by mad_onion on 03-28-2005 at 08:33 PM

yes mabye a website might be more appropriate. just put it in yuor sig you help more people that way.

RE: Firewalls by Anubis on 03-28-2005 at 08:45 PM

tbh, software firewalls aren't all they're cracked up to be, yeah they do the job but I remember hearing that they can be disabled remotely by many hackers. For any decent protection you need a firewall on your router. But a software one will do for most people, or unless you piss a lot of hackers off.

There really isn't much need to post this, people who hang around here will probabally know and those that don't know I doubt will even read your post

RE: Firewalls by .Roy on 03-28-2005 at 08:55 PM

absorbtion u should make a website with tutorials about it! I can help you host it ;) It would be much better this way! add me to messenger
royblatt@gmail.com
ill be bak on in 16 hours or so! G2g to sleep bye

RE: Firewalls by Choli on 03-28-2005 at 09:18 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mad_onion
lol i only use Windows Firewall and to my spyware scanner never picks up anything neither does my anti-virus. until i get some kind of infection or problem i will stick with Windows Firewall.
windows firewal does not prevent you of getting spyware, viruses or trojans. As you should know, the firewall of windows only blocks outgoing connections, ie: it blocks any program trying to stablish an external connection waiting for other programs to connect it.

The first and best protection a computer can have is the behaviour of the user. You don't accept unwanted mails, are carefull while surfing the web, etc... and that's why your pc is clean. And that's a very good practice that everyone should follow.:)