Shoutbox

MsgPlus Sound Pack Extractor - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+----- Thread: MsgPlus Sound Pack Extractor (/showthread.php?tid=41458)

MsgPlus Sound Pack Extractor by segosa on 03-29-2005 at 03:31 PM

I've made a simple program which will turn Messenger Plus Sound Packs (*.plp) into separate mp3 files of each sound contained within the sound pack.

It's pretty self explanatory: choose a sound pack, choose a destination directory and go. They're stored as *.mp3 and the filename is the sound's name.

Let me know of any bugs and such, if you find any. I've done some extensive error checking and it only crashes if you hex edit the *.plp file and remove large portions of it :P, it's fairly stable otherwise.

Fixed in 1.0.2:

- For Unicode sounds, it'll make the filename u<soundID> where <soundID> is the sound's ID.
- It will convert characters not allowed in filenames ( \/*:<>|? ) into _ (it used to just fail).

Fixed in 1.0.1:

- If the directory is C:\ it doesn't append another \
- At the end it will say the actual amount of sounds that were extracted. It used to say the number of sounds there were and ignored any failed ones.

RE: MsgPlus Sound Pack Extractor by Eljay on 03-29-2005 at 03:50 PM

nice (Y)

works fine :)

RE: MsgPlus Sound Pack Extractor by Anubis on 03-29-2005 at 04:31 PM

Really good idea. I've only been using it for a few minutes, but it is useful for soundbites I want to use for other things.
I don't suppose this is going to be open source at any point? I'd just like to know how it works a bit more. Curiousity only :p

RE: MsgPlus Sound Pack Extractor by segosa on 03-29-2005 at 05:06 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Anubis

I don't suppose this is going to be open source at any point? I'd just like to know how it works a bit more. Curiousity only :p

Sure, when MsgPlus becomes open source :P

Nah, we'll see...
RE: MsgPlus Sound Pack Extractor by RaceProUK on 03-29-2005 at 07:09 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Segosa
I've made a simple program which will turn Messenger Plus Sound Packs (*.plp) into seperate mp3 files of each sound contained within the sound pack.
Nice!
Next job: a program that does the reverse :)
RE: MsgPlus Sound Pack Extractor by Dempsey on 03-29-2005 at 07:46 PM

quote:
Originally posted by raceprouk
Nice!
Next job: a program that does the reverse

except it wouldnt be possible as sounds need to be added by plus! so that they get sent to the server and get assigned a hash
RE: MsgPlus Sound Pack Extractor by segosa on 04-02-2005 at 06:39 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Dempsey
quote:
Nice!
Next job: a program that does the reverse

except it wouldnt be possible as sounds need to be added by plus! so that they get sent to the server and get assigned a hash

Indeed. There was another thread about it but I can't find it anymore. Patchou also said that he didn't want anything contacting the sound server apart from MsgPlus. :p
RE: MsgPlus Sound Pack Extractor by ShawnZ on 04-02-2005 at 06:50 AM

And that dodgy mfc tester :dodgy: :P

RE: MsgPlus Sound Pack Extractor by Matti on 04-02-2005 at 08:43 AM

Cool program, Segosa! (H)
It's really skilful!
Now I can use plp's as music library's: create with MsgPlus!, extract with MsgPlus! Sound Pack Extractor. :P

RE: MsgPlus Sound Pack Extractor by CookieRevised on 04-02-2005 at 02:21 PM

quote:
quote:
I've made a simple program which will turn Messenger Plus Sound Packs (*.plp) into seperate mp3 files of each sound contained within the sound pack.
Nice!
Next job: a program that does the reverse :)
MP3 to Plus! .dat or .plp? Not possible, unless you make your own MP3 decompressor, decoder and compressor, encoder and have a massive knowledge of the MP3 structure and compressing and encoding (which is copyrighted by the way). And I can tell you that that is a massive and complicated job. Use the integrated Lame encoder in Plus! instead...

If you mean Plus! .dat to .plp., then that's dead easy (I'm already planning on making a full Winzip-like .plp editor; the "complicated" part is the UI, as many many possebilities you can do with it exist. And it must be n00b proof :p).

quote:
Originally posted by Dempsey
No. When you create your own Plus! sound from a existing file or recording source, the sound is not sent to the server at all.  The hash is created when you create the sound, it isn't the server that returns the hash. The hash is part of the sound format. It is only the first time you sent the new created sound to someone in a conversation, that it will be uploaded to the server (and rejected if it is malformed).

quote:
Let me know of any bugs and such, if you find any. I've done some extensive error checking and it only crashes if you hex edit the *.plp file and remove large portions of it :P, it's fairly stable otherwise.
How far do you wanna go in sound file error checking? eg: there are sounds which aren't properly created (mainly sounds created in the first days, let's call them the "beta-test sounds" :p, but current sounds also exist which are also not well formed though). Although the MP3 will be played, on most players, the MP3 data stream itself isn't a properly created. (not @ segosa but for others: the reason why they still will be played is because of the nature of the MP3 structure). You could easly auto-fix these sounds if you do some further checking on them and the Plus! hash.

I also encountered recent Plus! sounds which have a bad last audio frame. Dunno how accurate this is (must do further checking on that frame) or how the possible bad frame got there (bug in Lame3.96?). But this can be checked also...

Also something you could do is to check for inproper/corrupted .plp files and do some errorchecking on them, and even fix stuff.

Also something I would do is to add an ID3v2.x tag to the MP3 to make it properly readable by all players (some just ignore the ID3v1.0 tag). And while doing so, fix the "Plus! style" ID3v1.0 tag into a proper "MP3" ID3v1.0 tag.

It all depends on how far you wanna take this though....
Just some random pointers ;)
RE: MsgPlus Sound Pack Extractor by Dempsey on 04-02-2005 at 03:12 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
If you mean Plus! .dat to .plp., then that's dead easy (I'm already planning on making a full Winzip-like .plp editor; the "complicated" part is the UI, as many many possebilities you can do with it exist. And it must be n00b proof ).
Sounds Cool (Y)
RE: MsgPlus Sound Pack Extractor by Sunshine on 04-03-2005 at 11:17 AM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
If you mean Plus! .dat to .plp., then that's dead easy (I'm already planning on making a full Winzip-like .plp editor; the "complicated" part is the UI, as many many possebilities you can do with it exist. And it must be n00b proof :P).
Woot, a solution for people who have/might encounter same problem as i had is on it's way (ofcourse it can be used to create a .plp from .dat folders in other accounts too - without goin on that account -  incase the library wasn't shared). What we spoke about on IRC and what you saw on my comp the other day inspired you huh? It was quite a workaround you did to recover my "lost" custom sounds, i'm still very grateful you did. ;)

You and Segosa should combine your programs and make one big tool. :D

.dat > .plp + .plp > mp3 = awesome!

Feature suggestions:
- Turn one .dat into one .mp3 or .wav (for sending a sound to a non Plus! user - creative ideas enough, e.g use as background sound in homemade e-card - , i don't know if a .dat will play on a comp without Plus!)
- Possibility to add/remove .dat files to/from an existing .plp.
- And to finish it all off, the possibillity to preview (list of sounds contained and hear) sounds in the .plp (before extracting or adding it to plus! soundlibrary)
Et voila..Plus! Ultimate Soundpack Utility..is born :D
(i know it's not easy to create such program properly)

I for one, as Soundpack DB mod (smod), surely would appreciate and use such a Utility alot (i would gladly betatest it aswell).
RE: MsgPlus Sound Pack Extractor by Intosia on 01-09-2008 at 05:44 PM

NICE! Just what i needed :D

RE: MsgPlus Sound Pack Extractor by Dimagine on 06-28-2008 at 02:08 PM

[font=Times New Roman][color=purple]Hi!  A friend and I was wondering if this program could be used to change the plp to mp3 and then the mp3 could be sent to a phone. XD  But we've been having a very hard time following the instructions. =(  We're still a bit n00bish to technology so could you please explain how to use your program like you were explaining to elementary school kids, please? XD  Thanks for taking the time to help us - we greatly appreciate it. ^_^  Have a good day! ;D