Shoutbox

Whats your favorite book? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: General Chit Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+----- Thread: Whats your favorite book? (/showthread.php?tid=41481)

Whats your favorite book? by .Roy on 03-29-2005 at 08:47 PM

Whats your favorite book(s)

I love.

Inkheart
Harry Potter Books
Faerie Wars
The Purple Emperor
The Theif Lord

There are a lot more but i havent read them in a long time so i dont remember.

Oh ya here is one.

Frindle
My first favorite book

RE: Whats your favorite book? by King For A Day on 03-29-2005 at 08:57 PM

i like terry prachet a bit, not loads.

but tony hawks's books are very good.

and i have been re reading McCarthys bar again, 5th time :P
and road to McCarthry they are very funny looks at life in irealnd i highly rekomend them

and harry potter is ok

RE: Whats your favorite book? by Millenium_edition on 03-29-2005 at 08:58 PM

i really don't like reading... so this is a kind of weird reply
thinking in c++

and i'm not kidding :dodgy:

RE: Whats your favorite book? by Joa on 03-29-2005 at 09:25 PM

Harry Potter Books :tongue:
LOTR books :cheesy:
.. i own a lot of anthologies and stuff - mainly composed of British and early American literary pieces. i luv them all..
umm... all kinds of fantasy books
right now i'm really into modern literature (cuz it's so abstract)
so for eg. most stories written by Jorge Luis Borges. especially  "Tlon, Uqbar, Orbis Tertius"

i dunno, i read a lot (kinda have to cuz English lit. is/was my major 8-) ) which is sort of weird in a way since i'm dyslexic. O_o

RE: Whats your favorite book? by Val on 03-29-2005 at 10:05 PM

Well my fav books yeah i really dont read though are the seris of unfortunate events and fantasictic mr.fox lol yeah bayish but hey i like classics

RE: Whats your favorite book? by Steven on 03-29-2005 at 10:13 PM

my fav book would have 2 be the seventh tower seris AND VAL GO ON MSN

RE: Whats your favorite book? by Joe on 03-29-2005 at 10:41 PM

Lord of The Flies and the Harry Potter series

RE: Whats your favorite book? by blackjack on 03-29-2005 at 10:43 PM

Harry Potter
Lord of The rings

And some spanish books :P :banana:

RE: Whats your favorite book? by M73A on 03-29-2005 at 10:44 PM

anything by james patterson (Y) great homocide books, lol

RE: Whats your favorite book? by dotNorma on 03-29-2005 at 10:52 PM

I love reading so much.

The Chronicles of Narnia is the all time best series. I cant wait for the disney movie to come out.

The Harry Potter series is a nice series. Cant put the book down until you finish it.

Most books by Dan Brown are good, You learn alot of things from them and they have very contrivertial subjects.

A Series of Unfortanant events was alright, but the aurthor shaming his own books constantly is annoying. They were suspensful enough for me to keep reading though.

All the Judy Blume books were alright, read them along time ago though...

The left behind series (children and adults) was interesting though. I kind of lost itnerest in the series farther down, not supsensful enough to keep you reading.

RE: Whats your favorite book? by Purity on 03-29-2005 at 11:02 PM

I seriously hate books, accept A Clockwork Orange... the book is about total anarchy. :)

RE: Whats your favorite book? by DJeX on 03-29-2005 at 11:23 PM

I don't read...... books and stuff like that.

RE: Whats your favorite book? by Lilo on 03-30-2005 at 08:40 AM

All books by Terry Pratchett :D
and also the Harry Potter books :cheesy:, and the Hitchhikers Guide (by Douglas Adams), although i only read that one once..;)

RE: Whats your favorite book? by Eljay on 03-30-2005 at 08:43 AM

like a lot of people here, i dont read many books, but before i had a computer i actually read the whole of the lord of the rings trilogy and most of tolkiens other books :|

RE: Whats your favorite book? by Rik on 03-30-2005 at 09:03 AM

i like all the harry potter books and the Hunter of Stars

RE: Whats your favorite book? by Naruto on 03-30-2005 at 09:09 AM

Harry Potters books
and I dont know if it counts but I realy like Comics like Calvin and Hobbes

RE: Whats your favorite book? by J.J on 03-30-2005 at 09:11 AM

Harry Potter books are the only books i try to read, i hate books, i aint a book worm, but when a new Harry Potter book comes out i read like crazy :cheesy:

RE: Whats your favorite book? by .Roy on 03-30-2005 at 09:14 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Third Dimension
Harry Potter books are the only books i try to read, i hate books, i aint a book worm, but when a new Harry Potter book comes out i read like crazy :cheesy:

That is how i started out. I read like 200 pages in 1 day. I read the bok at least 3 hours in a day. I suggest you get the book The Theif Lord. Its really good :D. Also if you like  harry potter. Try the book Faerie Wars
RE: Whats your favorite book? by CookieRevised on 03-30-2005 at 10:25 AM

My favorite of all times for sure: the 6 Dune novels (by the late Frank Herbert)
On second place: the prequels of the Dune books (written by his son Brian Herbert and by Kevin J. Anderson)

Dune is _the_ classic and most praised SF series of all times. Many other books, stories, music*, movies**, games***, etc. are based upon the vast and complex story. It isn't just a SF story, it is thé SF story. Including every possible aspect of life, economics, politics, ecologics, sociology, culture, etc... etc...

If you think LOTR is complex and includes many aspects and Tolkien made something vast, try to read Dune. Tolkien created a vast, complex and detailed world and timescale. Frank Herbert created a whole universe with hundreds of different vast, complex and detailed worlds, all over a timescale from tenthousands of years. I takes years to understand everything within Dune...

* Many bands have used texts and poems from the Dune chronicles. Many bands have named theirselfs after Dune or one of its characters or something. Some of the score of the first Dune movie is used in TV shows, etc...

** Many movies have elements which are based upon Dune. Yes even the all famous Star Wars is known to have incoörperated some elements. In fact the whole big storyline of Star Wars is almost the same as Dune (human create machines, machines take over, human takes over, somebody stands up and becomes the hero/leader/god) George Lucas was also a heavy Dune fan, etc...

*** we all know the C&C series and all the other strategy games that derived from it. Well, C&C would never been made if it wasn't for the first real popular RTS game, Dune2...

**** Everything is too much and too big to explain, the web is full of Dune related stuff, search it ;)

RE: Whats your favorite book? by Zephyr on 03-30-2005 at 10:43 AM

My favourite books are a series called [url=]The Saga of Darren Shan[/url] by Darren Shan! Found them much better than the Harry Potter books.

RE: Whats your favorite book? by -dt- on 03-30-2005 at 11:11 AM

books rox0r my favourite books include

The Temple by Matthew Reilly
Area 7 by Matthew Reilly
Scarecrow by Matthew Reilly [/fanboy]
The Da vinci Code by Dan Brown (a very good mystery book)

RE: Whats your favorite book? by Vazza on 03-30-2005 at 05:06 PM

My Favourite book include:

• Harry Potter
  • The Lord of the Rings ( I've only taken 2 years to read it)
  • The Hobbit
  • Stravaganza series by Mary Hoffman
  • Timeline by Michael Crichton

Not done much reading of late but thats due to
  1. Uni work taking priority
  2. Been artistically motivated and been drawing (just ask Jaguar or the TheGeek)
  3. Been working on a series of my own along with the artwork for the main character
    [/list]

RE: Whats your favorite book? by gif83 on 03-30-2005 at 05:46 PM

catch22

RE: Whats your favorite book? by King For A Day on 03-30-2005 at 06:16 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Vazza
The Lord of the Rings ( I've only taken 2 years to read it)

its an ongoing thing for me, i started in year 7 by year 9 i was on the second book, im in year eleven now havent toushed it for two years, i hope i havent lost the plot ill have to start again.
its not that im a bad reader in fact ima exelent but im impatient and tolkein takes far far far too long to get to the point and i loose intrest.... o look a bee.....
* King For A Day wanders of aimlessly
RE: Whats your favorite book? by Tasha on 03-30-2005 at 07:26 PM

I read lots, when I can. :cheesy: I resd loads off different books by authors you'll never have heard of so I won't mention them. :cheesy:

My favorites books have to be the Harry Potter's though. :banana: I got the 5th one when we were on holiday and read it within a day. :banana: No lies, i'm a fast reader. :p

I never eally liked the plot of the Lord of the Rings, so I never really got to read it.

Oh yea.. I tried to read Leo Tolstoy's War and Peace but didn't get very far.. Its a pretty hard book to read . ;)

RE: Whats your favorite book? by saralk on 03-30-2005 at 07:43 PM

the Harry Potter series is awesome.

A lot of people just disregard it and call it a children's book, but it is a very good book, there is a lot of hidden symbolism within it, and the whole series is extremely well planned out. Things that may seem insignificant turn to be major factors in the next book.

May favourite bit of symbolism is the parrallels of voldermort and jesus. I am not saying that Voldermort is Jesus and the HP series is blasphemous, but there are many parrallels. There is whole vodlermort was ressurected from the dead thing, Snape is the Judas of the death eaters - betraying Voldmort, and the fact that at the department of mysteries, 12 death eaters came to Voldermorts aid, reminiscent of Jesus's 12 deciples.

I also like the fact that everything within Harry Potter is believable, i mean, obviously the whole Magic thing isn't, but a world has been created within the book, and everything within the world is believable, like the superiority complex wizards have generated. It really aids you get into the Harry Potter world, and emphasise with the characters.

RE: Whats your favorite book? by Tasha on 03-30-2005 at 08:10 PM

quote:
Originally posted by saralk
the Harry Potter series is awesome.

A lot of people just disregard it and call it a children's book, but it is a very good book, there is a lot of hidden symbolism within it, and the whole series is extremely well planned out. Things that may seem insignificant turn to be major factors in the next book.

May favourite bit of symbolism is the parrallels of voldermort and jesus. I am not saying that Voldermort is Jesus and the HP series is blasphemous, but there are many parrallels. There is whole vodlermort was ressurected from the dead thing, Snape is the Judas of the death eaters - betraying Voldmort, and the fact that at the department of mysteries, 12 death eaters came to Voldermorts aid, reminiscent of Jesus's 12 deciples.

I also like the fact that everything within Harry Potter is believable, i mean, obviously the whole Magic thing isn't, but a world has been created within the book, and everything within the world is believable, like the superiority complex wizards have generated. It really aids you get into the Harry Potter world, and emphasise with the characters.

Very true. (y)

What made me like them is the fact that they are written so well, it makes you feel like you are really there. A lot of people I know just think they are stupid books, and only little kids should read them, but that is rubbish. :dodgy:

* Tasha can't wait for the newest book :cheesy:
RE: Whats your favorite book? by Lilo on 03-30-2005 at 08:17 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Tasha

A lot of people I know just think they are stupid books, and only little kids should read them, but that is rubbish. :dodgy:

* Tasha can't wait for the newest book :cheesy:

I know lots of adults who read the HP books (and like them! :P)

* Lilo also cant wait for the newest book :D

Edit: i also read the 5th one in less than half a day :tongue:
RE: RE: Whats your favorite book? by -Bogan- on 03-31-2005 at 12:53 AM

quote:
Originally posted by -dt-
books rox0r my favourite books include

The Temple by Matthew Reilly
Area 7 by Matthew Reilly
Scarecrow by Matthew Reilly [/fanboy]
The Da vinci Code by Dan Brown (a very good mystery book)

Got to agree with you there Great Books altough I would have to add
-The Bourne Series by Robert Ludlum
-Rainbow six by Tom Clancy

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Tasha

A lot of people I know just think they are stupid books, and only little kids should read them, but that is rubbish. 
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't agree with you Harry Potter is good for like 10-14 year olds. Some adults do read them but  I believe they only read them to see what there kids are reading.
RE: Whats your favorite book? by albert on 03-31-2005 at 12:55 AM

ehh dunno if you guys read it, its in french, its called :

te souviens-tu de moi Julie?

its rlly touching..!

RE: Whats your favorite book? by azn angel on 03-31-2005 at 04:22 AM

The Da Vinci Code - Dan Brown
is magnificent because i dont like christanity and it shows a lot of "flaws" in the religion.
also The Nothern Lights - Phillip Pullman

RE: Whats your favorite book? by Pipish on 03-31-2005 at 05:22 AM

i like reading sort of only if its a good book
i like

harry potters

and the alex rider series

and various biographys on sportsman