Shoutbox

How long until you can't tell the difference between real life and a game? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: How long until you can't tell the difference between real life and a game? (/showthread.php?tid=41548)

How long until you can't tell the difference between real life and a game? by .blade// on 03-30-2005 at 05:07 PM

Take a look at these shots from upcoming PS3 and Xenon games (they're in concept stages, but this is what the companies are driving for):

Madden:
[Image: madd.jpg]

Need for Speed:
[Image: nfs.jpg]

Omg :| By the time the PS4 and Xbox 3 come out - there may be no line left o.O

RE: How long until you can't tell the difference between real life and a game? by Ezra on 03-30-2005 at 05:11 PM

I don't think that's possible yet, I mean there's a difference between modeling some great pictures and playing a game.

RE: How long until you can't tell the difference between real life and a game? by .blade// on 03-30-2005 at 05:12 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Ezra
I don't think that's possible yet, I mean there's a difference between modeling some great pictures and playing a game.

Well like I said - By Xbox 3 and PS4 it'll be unbelievable, but those shots I showed you - they're what the companies are anticipating in the line of graphics for there consoles. They'll be showing off a few next gen games at E3 along side the reveal of the next gen consoles.

FYI - I know those are just concept images, but a lot of times concepts look a lot like the final product.
RE: How long until you can't tell the difference between real life and a game? by .Roy on 03-30-2005 at 05:18 PM

wow those are nice graphics :drool: It looks like ur controlling real players

RE: How long until you can't tell the difference between real life and a game? by John Anderton on 03-30-2005 at 05:21 PM

I tht u made such a thread already .... but that had pics of many fps and rpg games :undecided: It had pics of halo 2 too.
Then there was a link that someone gave about a test where there were 10 pics n u had to tell which were real and which were pc made :P I got all 10 rite ?+:) I even took a screen shot :P
Ya games r getting really Real :|

quote:
Originally posted by blade
Omg By the time the PS4 and Xbox 3 come out - there may be no line left o.O
:| Seriously true :|
Which NFS is that ... I saw the new Underground 2 as well (Friends place) :drool: ... its all nite (atleast i played all nite). That was awesome .... The one u posted is mind blowing :|
Isnt that a Porsche Carrera Gt Or A Porsche 911 Carerra
The madden one looks like a game movie :| Its shocking :| :shocking:

RE: How long until you can't tell the difference between real life and a game? by King For A Day on 03-30-2005 at 05:29 PM

i once played mario 6 golden coins all day everyday for ages on gameboy and sometimes id hear the music when it wasnt even playibg creepy, i get that with the msn message alert as well which mkaes me think im here to much

RE: How long until you can't tell the difference between real life and a game? by Plik on 03-30-2005 at 05:31 PM

you will always be able to tell the difference between games and real life, until they build wind machines and buckets of water into games consols.
Its all fine having an amazingly realistic rain effect in a game, but when your sitting there perfectaly dry then you know your playing a game. In the end its just a moving image on a screen.

And its not all about graphics.

RE: How long until you can't tell the difference between real life and a game? by .blade// on 03-30-2005 at 05:37 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Madman
you will always be able to tell the difference between games and real life, until they build wind machines and buckets of water into games consols.
Its all fine having an amazingly realistic rain effect in a game, but when your sitting there perfectaly dry then you know your playing a game. In the end its just a moving image on a screen.

And its not all about graphics.

I know it's not - but they help. What I mean is - how long until you can't tell if it's a computer generated recording or a real recording?

quote:
Originally posted by John Anderton
I tht u made such a thread already .... but that had pics of many fps and rpg games :undecided: It had pics of halo 2 too.

That was a while back and about real/computer actors.

quote:

Which NFS is that

No name for it yet.
RE: How long until you can't tell the difference between real life and a game? by blackjack on 03-30-2005 at 05:39 PM

Wow that pics are amazing blade, if the title was different ill never expected they were of a graphics concept :P

RE: How long until you can't tell the difference between real life and a game? by John Anderton on 03-30-2005 at 05:43 PM

quote:
No name for it yet.
Thats why i havent seen it ... not yet released but its :drool:
;)
* John Anderton bets blade will get it immediately :P
And which madden is that ... i havent played any tho i have seen it on tv :)
RE: How long until you can't tell the difference between real life and a game? by .blade// on 03-30-2005 at 05:43 PM

quote:

Thats why i havent seen it ... not yet released but its :drool:
;)
* John Anderton bets blade will get it immediately :P

And which madden is that ... i havent played any tho i have seen it on tv :)

quote:
Take a look at these shots from upcoming PS3 and Xenon games (they're in concept stages, but this is what the companies are driving for):

RE: How long until you can't tell the difference between real life and a game? by CookieRevised on 03-30-2005 at 06:09 PM

quote:
Madden:
http://blade.toastednet.org/madd.jpg

Need for Speed:
http://blade.toastednet.org/nfs.jpg

The image from Madden is clearly a still from an inline movie in the game. That's a WHOLE different thing then inline graphics from games! Such an image as inline game graphics will not be possible for years and years to come. Note that computer generated movies which that quality (raycasting, shadows, skins, hair, grass, etc...) still need half supercomputers and weeks to render a single second of movie....

This goes the same for the image from Need for Speed. Although that (render/reality) quality is much lower then the one from Madden, it also might as well be a still from an inline movie instead of actual game play...

RE: How long until you can't tell the difference between real life and a game? by .blade// on 03-30-2005 at 06:11 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
The image from Madden is clearly a still from an inline movie in the game.

quote:
Tthey're in concept stages

Like I said - whent he PS4 and Xbox 3 come along - we may not be able to tell the difference.
RE: How long until you can't tell the difference between real life and a game? by Caboose on 03-30-2005 at 06:11 PM

If you REALLY want to see next generation graphics, check out the next Elder Scrolls game here (those are all in game screenshots too)

Although, every time I finish playing HL2, I'm not sure where I am cause everything looks so real in the game :S

RE: How long until you can't tell the difference between real life and a game? by .blade// on 03-30-2005 at 06:14 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Caboose
If you REALLY want to see next generation graphics, check out the next Elder Scrolls game here (those are all in game screenshots too)

Although, every time I finish playing HL2, I'm not sure where I am cause everything looks so real in the game :S

Well HL2 is good, but not "Is that real or not? :|" good. And those Elder Scrolls graphics aren't the greatest either.
RE: How long until you can't tell the difference between real life and a game? by frack on 03-30-2005 at 06:19 PM

woooooooooooooo buff car :P

RE: RE: How long until you can't tell the difference between real life and a game? by Caboose on 03-30-2005 at 06:23 PM

quote:
Well HL2 is good, but not "Is that real or not? :|" good. And those Elder Scrolls graphics aren't the greatest either.
O_O

Well, you must be on crack or something then, cause I'm blown away by both of them :P

Meh, I guess we'll just have to wait until the Xbox 3... or Xbox 50! If Microsoft's even still around then... o.O
RE: How long until you can't tell the difference between real life and a game? by CookieRevised on 03-30-2005 at 08:05 PM

quote:

Like I said - whent he PS4 and Xbox 3 come along - we may not be able to tell the difference.
Blade, they are concept pictures of VIDEO, not inline game play like everybody think they are. There is a massive big difference!

For video pictures it is not all that "wow", "crazy stuff", etc... And for inline gameplay, those things will not be available till PS87 or Xbox63.
RE: How long until you can't tell the difference between real life and a game? by .blade// on 03-30-2005 at 08:11 PM

quote:
quote:

Blade, they are concept pictures of VIDEO, not inline game play like everybody think they are. There is a massive big difference!

For video pictures it is not all that "wow", "crazy stuff", etc... And for inline gameplay, those things will not be available till PS87 or Xbox63.

No no no - they are concept images for in-game play. They are not taken from the game in any way.

You can read up about it on sites like IGN.
RE: How long until you can't tell the difference between real life and a game? by Anubis on 03-30-2005 at 08:12 PM

I heard a while ago that it would require 3D holographic images to make grapics as good as real life, however they are getting close, I do hope the final games turn out like that.

RE: How long until you can't tell the difference between real life and a game? by CookieRevised on 03-30-2005 at 08:47 PM

quote:
No no no - they are concept images for in-game play. They are not taken from the game in any way.

You can read up about it on sites like IGN.
I don't believe anything of it...

That it is technically NOT possible...
For video's and stills yes... for game-play, very big no...

In fact I even strongly doubt that the Madden picture is even computer generated. It is a promotional picture (I've seen it before btw), not a concept picture, it is a real photo and enhanced a bit with the computer.

The new PS3 is predicted to have a bit more graphic power then the PS2, but this is still far, far away from movie-like graphics in realtime game-play. Even the top-notch graphic cards from a PC can't handle that in realtime!

My point is, don't post such things in the way you did. As you can read from other people's posts, everybody thinks these are concepts of how it will look in realtime. This is however not the case! If you whish to share such info, at least link to the articles which explictly say that such stuff is wishfull thinking in the minds of the developers, so people understand what they see when they look at those graphics and put it in the right context...

A small example: look up how long it took and what they used to render 1 second of movie like Shrek (which is far from as realistic as that "concept" picture of Madden)... Also, making realistic looking humans like that on a computer is extremely difficult, or better 'impossible', in realtime. The top animators these days even have problems when they must do this for movies, which aren't realtime. There is a reason why computer generated humans in movies are extremely rare. And if they are included, they are viewed from a distance and only in very short shots.
RE: How long until you can't tell the difference between real life and a game? by .blade// on 03-30-2005 at 11:46 PM

Cookie - like I said, it's a CONCEPT shot.

It's basically a 3D rendering of what they'd like the game to look like -_-.

RE: How long until you can't tell the difference between real life and a game? by CookieRevised on 03-30-2005 at 11:58 PM

There is nothing 3D rendered about the pic from Madden, it is a real photo :dodgy:

RE: How long until you can't tell the difference between real life and a game? by albert on 03-31-2005 at 01:42 AM

quote:

Madden:
[Image: madd.jpg]

Need for Speed:
[Image: nfs.jpg]

i think the thing is screenshots always look good, but when you come to play graphics usually get lower.. but they look really good though.. when is the PS3 getting out btw? 2006?

RE: How long until you can't tell the difference between real life and a game? by .blade// on 03-31-2005 at 01:44 AM

quote:
There is nothing 3D rendered about the pic from Madden, it is a real photo :dodgy:

^o) It's a 3D image rendering....

quote:
Originally posted by lp15
when is the PS3 getting out btw? 2006?
Rather Q4 2005 or Q1 2006 - they'll say @ E3.
RE: How long until you can't tell the difference between real life and a game? by Steven on 03-31-2005 at 01:44 AM

i think so some where in 2006

RE: How long until you can't tell the difference between real life and a game? by albert on 03-31-2005 at 01:46 AM

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by lp15
when is the PS3 getting out btw? 2006?
Rather Q4 2005 or Q1 2006 - they'll say @ E3.

quote:
Originally posted by steven5678
i think so some where in 2006

aight thx both!
looking forward to it, wanna buy it, im still on the originall playstation! not even PS1, playstation!

RE: How long until you can't tell the difference between real life and a game? by Steven on 03-31-2005 at 01:51 AM

About that, anyone know a good PS3 site? and xenon whats that?
i know its nintendo, but what are the graphics like?

RE: How long until you can't tell the difference between real life and a game? by expert on 03-31-2005 at 03:09 AM

doe sanyone hve a pic of the xenon i really wanna see it;)

RE: How long until you can't tell the difference between real life and a game? by John Anderton on 03-31-2005 at 12:43 PM

I felt that that madden one was a game trailer cause the graphics are real and cookie .... those pics aint real :/ 3 graphics rendering :)

RE: How long until you can't tell the difference between real life and a game? by CookieRevised on 03-31-2005 at 12:53 PM

:rolleyes: The Madden is simple photoshopped real pic, that is NOT 3d computer generated :dodgy: Look into how 3D rendering works, what the problems are, how far the technology is evolved, etc...

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

RE: How long until you can't tell the difference between real life and a game? by user2319 on 04-04-2005 at 05:27 PM

I believe Cookie :P

They always show these pictures waaay before launch. Just like they did with PS2. You won't really see this on your PS3 :dodgy:

RE: How long until you can't tell the difference between real life and a game? by toddy on 04-04-2005 at 05:28 PM

both picture are easy to tell that they are not real and are computer generatored

plus useful thread :rolleyes:

RE: How long until you can't tell the difference between real life and a game? by Jhrono on 04-04-2005 at 06:35 PM

Games will be real life when you don't need to be staring at a screen...they'll be great when you get to see at the virtual car by yourself...and so on...

* Jhrono dreams...

RE: How long until you can't tell the difference between real life and a game? by mwe99 on 04-06-2005 at 01:54 PM

I still can see the computer graphics kinda but they're getting better :D

RE: How long until you can't tell the difference between real life and a game? by ayjay on 04-06-2005 at 03:26 PM

Even if these aren't what the graphics are going to be like in psp 4 and xbox 3, tbh they have to be like this sometime in the future. I think that eventually, like the title says, it'll just be like a completely real person, car etc.

RE: RE: How long until you can't tell the difference between real life and a game? by absorbation on 04-06-2005 at 03:34 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ajd
Even if these aren't what the graphics are going to be like in psp 4 and xbox 3, tbh they have to be like this sometime in the future. I think that eventually, like the title says, it'll just be like a completely real person, car etc.

That would be the best i want that now [Image: rocknana.gif]
RE: How long until you can't tell the difference between real life and a game? by Pipish on 04-07-2005 at 06:18 AM

:| great pics but i can tell there fake but the good thing is technolagy will only get better and yes bye xbox3 and ps4 (ps wont make it to 4 tbh xbox would have owned it out of the industry:P) the graphics will be amazing

RE: How long until you can't tell the difference between real life and a game? by ShawnZ on 04-07-2005 at 07:14 AM

quote:
Originally posted by steven5678
About that, anyone know a good PS3 site? and xenon whats that?
i know its nintendo, but what are the graphics like?

erm...

PS3 == Playstation 3 (Sony)
Xenon == Xbox 2 (Microsoft)

and these screenshots are here spesifacally to show you 'what the graphics are like'
RE: How long until you can't tell the difference between real life and a game? by squall_leonhart69r on 04-09-2005 at 12:29 AM

Real life video should be avaible with the release of DirectX Next

along with the Geforce 7 / 8

and the Next Nintendo is called the Nintendo Revolution and will be using an ATI video chip code named Hollywood