Shoutbox

Gamer stabbed for online theft in a game :| - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: General Chit Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+----- Thread: Gamer stabbed for online theft in a game :| (/showthread.php?tid=41561)

Gamer stabbed for online theft in a game :| by .blade// on 03-30-2005 at 07:10 PM

"BEIJING (Reuters) - A Shanghai online game player stabbed to death a competitor who sold his cyber-sword, the China Daily has said, creating a dilemma in China where no law exists for the ownership of virtual weapons.

Qiu Chengwei, 41, stabbed competitor Zhu Caoyuan repeatedly in the chest after he was told Zhu had sold his "dragon sabre", used in the popular online game, "Legend of Mir 3", the newspaper said a Shanghai court was told on Tuesday.

"Legend of Mir 3" features heroes and villains, sorcerers and warriors, many of whom wield enormous swords.

Qiu and a friend jointly won their weapon last February, and lent it to Zhu who then sold it for 7,200 yuan (464 pounds), the newspaper said.

Qui went to the police to report the "theft" but was told the weapon was not real property protected by law.

"Zhu promised to hand over the cash but an angry Qui lost patience and attacked Zhu at his home, stabbing him in the left chest with great force and killing him," the court was told.

The newspaper did not specify the charge against Qiu but said he had given himself up to police and already pleaded guilty to "intentional injury".

No verdict has been announced.

More and more online gamers were seeking justice through the courts over stolen weapons and credits, the newspaper said.

"The armour and swords in games should be deemed as private property as players have to spend money and time for them," Wang Zongyu, an associate law professor at Beijing's Renmin University of China, was quoted as saying.

But other experts are calling for caution. "The 'assets' of one player could mean nothing to others as they are by nature just data created by game providers," a lawyer for a Shanghai-based Internet game company was quoted as saying."

Source: Reuters

:|

RE: Gamer stabbed for online theft in a game :| by John Anderton on 03-30-2005 at 07:11 PM

:| Wtf .... i never tht games could be so harmful :undecided:
* John Anderton stops playing pc games :'(

RE: Gamer stabbed for online theft in a game :| by saralk on 03-30-2005 at 07:13 PM

It is an interesting concept, would stealing e-property count as theft?

RE: Gamer stabbed for online theft in a game :| by John Anderton on 03-30-2005 at 07:15 PM

quote:
Originally posted by saralk
would stealing e-property count as theft?
It does i think ^o)
Pretty sure it does.
RE: Gamer stabbed for online theft in a game :| by Ezra on 03-30-2005 at 07:15 PM

Now, it doesn't. And I really don't think such a law would be made.

RE: Gamer stabbed for online theft in a game :| by Vilkku on 03-30-2005 at 07:17 PM

quote:
Originally posted by blade
Legend of Mir 3" features heroes and villains, sorcerers and warriors, many of whom wield enormous swords.

:rofl:

I would never do anything like this... unless you even TOUCH my The Earthshaker PvP reward set (when it gets implanted in the game, that is)(and I get it). :dodgy:

EDIT: Considering laws, many MMORPG companies declare all accounts and in-game stuff their property so selling it for money is considered breaking the law.
RE: Gamer stabbed for online theft in a game :| by .blade// on 03-30-2005 at 07:17 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Ezra

Well it's an interesting thought, because if stealing a virtual item isn't considered theft, then stealing from a person's online bank account could also be considered to be in the same category :|

It's a very odd thing to think about either way.
RE: Gamer stabbed for online theft in a game :| by John Anderton on 03-30-2005 at 07:17 PM

quote:
It should be there. If its theft of anything that u own rightfully and if the person is caught then he should be punished rite ?
I think that the person is guilty :dodgy:
RE: Gamer stabbed for online theft in a game :| by Ezra on 03-30-2005 at 07:20 PM

quote:
Originally posted by blade
quote:

Well it's an interesting thought, because if stealing a virtual item isn't considered theft, then stealing from a person's online bank account could also be considered to be in the same category :|

It's a very odd thing to think about either way.

But online bank accounts are semi-online. Because the money is in the 'real' world, u just use the net to spend it...

RE: Gamer stabbed for online theft in a game :| by .blade// on 03-30-2005 at 07:21 PM

quote:

But online bank accounts are semi-online. Because the money is in the 'real' world, u just use the net to spend it...

Well then consider PayPal. If I was to hack your PayPal account and take all your money then that wouldn't be theft, would it? It's not in your REAL bank account, just like the item is not in your REAL house :-/
RE: Gamer stabbed for online theft in a game :| by John Anderton on 03-30-2005 at 07:22 PM

But u are not allowed to steal someone's online identity ... u cant steal some one's pin no, passwords etc ....
That is theft.

RE: Gamer stabbed for online theft in a game :| by .blade// on 03-30-2005 at 07:23 PM

quote:
Originally posted by John Anderton
But u are not allowed to steal someone's online identity ... u cant steal some one's pin no, passwords etc ....
That is theft.

No - identity theft is one thing - hacking someone's PayPal account is another.
RE: Gamer stabbed for online theft in a game :| by saralk on 03-30-2005 at 07:23 PM

as far as I am concerned, anything you parted money to get is considered your property.

If someone hijcaked your website, then that would be considered theft. Even though it is not in the 'real' world.

RE: Gamer stabbed for online theft in a game :| by .blade// on 03-30-2005 at 07:25 PM

quote:
as far as I am concerned, anything you parted money to get is considered your property.

If someone hijcaked your website, then that would be considered theft. Even though it is not in the 'real' world.

Exactly!
RE: Gamer stabbed for online theft in a game :| by John Anderton on 03-30-2005 at 07:27 PM

quote:
Exactly.
U own ur website .... so its illegal to hack it. Anything that is someone else's property and u take it without permission is illeagal imo
i hope i put it correctly :P

RE: Gamer stabbed for online theft in a game :| by saralk on 03-30-2005 at 07:31 PM

although that doesnt give him the right to kill someone over it :p

RE: RE: Gamer stabbed for online theft in a game :| by Vilkku on 03-30-2005 at 07:32 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Vilkku
EDIT: Considering laws, many MMORPG companies declare all accounts and in-game stuff their property so selling it for money is considered breaking the law.

Why are you ignoring me? :'(
RE: Gamer stabbed for online theft in a game :| by John Anderton on 03-30-2005 at 07:34 PM

The quote sayz that it was posted by u :S So how r u ignoring urself vikku :S

quote:
although that doesnt give him the right to kill someone over it
Absolutely ...... Jail for the killer .... fine for the stealer for now atleast :P
RE: RE: RE: Gamer stabbed for online theft in a game :| by .blade// on 03-30-2005 at 07:34 PM

quote:
quote:

Why are you ignoring me? :'(

Well since 1) You paid for the game and 2) You didn't sign anything, I don't think they really have legal authority to say that (though I could be wrong :P). Either way, lots of ppl sell/buy virtual items (:dodgy: I mean it's not like they could buy better REAL LIFe things :P).
RE: Gamer stabbed for online theft in a game :| by Vilkku on 03-30-2005 at 07:37 PM

Doesn't accepting the end user agreement count?

RE: Gamer stabbed for online theft in a game :| by .blade// on 03-30-2005 at 07:41 PM

quote:
Doesn't accepting the end user agreement count?

Clicking a button isn't legally binding :P

"Sir - the plantive pressed the 'Accept' button, so they must be guilty!" :P
RE: Gamer stabbed for online theft in a game :| by Anubis on 03-30-2005 at 07:47 PM

Bah, it's a sad reality, but there are people out there who aren't fully right in the head, get adicted to games, won't stop talking about them until their game becomes all that their life revolves around and they end up doing things like this.
Luckilly the worst we have around here is Blade + Halo :p
Edit (due to blades new fad): PSPs...

RE: Gamer stabbed for online theft in a game :| by .blade// on 03-30-2005 at 07:48 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Anubis
Bah, it's a sad reality, but there are people out there who aren't fully right in the head, get adicted to games, won't stop talking about them until their game becomes all that their life revolves around and they end up doing things like this.
Luckilly the worst we have around here is Blade + Halo :p

:dodgy: I don't even paly Halo anymore nor have an Xbox :dodgy:
RE: Gamer stabbed for online theft in a game :| by .Roy on 03-30-2005 at 07:55 PM

Wow someone stabbing someone over a GAME? THats fucking unreasonable. But i do know when somebody worked hard on a game and spent many hours on it and to lose it all with a click of a button. Wow.  I would be devastated. But to kill someone. Sigh

RE: Gamer stabbed for online theft in a game :| by Naruto on 03-30-2005 at 09:25 PM

those ppl live in serious illusions... on-line games are Chaos! except of counter strike and warcraft

RE: Gamer stabbed for online theft in a game :| by paperless on 03-30-2005 at 09:31 PM

I remember reading the llicense agreement of MU that everything you have in the game (swords etc) is property of themso you cant sell them in ebay and such...

This is pretty sick anyway...

RE: Gamer stabbed for online theft in a game :| by Steven on 03-30-2005 at 11:58 PM

why would they do this

RE: Gamer stabbed for online theft in a game :| by ~INVASION~ on 03-31-2005 at 01:15 AM

:lol: thats great, it reminds me of the time a kid got killed over pokemon, what a horrible world :dodgy:

RE: Gamer stabbed for online theft in a game :| by Pyroteq on 03-31-2005 at 06:49 AM

Hehe i saw this yesterday on SMH.. Slightly different article, Had in it about some guy buying a virtual island for AU$35,000

RE: Gamer stabbed for online theft in a game :| by mad_onion on 03-31-2005 at 02:11 PM

yeah this is getting a bigger problem. on lineage 2, you have to be really careful who you kill they might be in a clan that is also a organised crime syndicate. they come and find you and kill you. this is mostly a problem in taiwan and not so much in the west at the moment cause more people play mmo out there. but it will only get worse.

RE: Gamer stabbed for online theft in a game :| by paperless on 03-31-2005 at 02:24 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mad_onion
yeah this is getting a bigger problem. on lineage 2, you have to be really careful who you kill they might be in a clan that is also a organised crime syndicate. they come and find you and kill you. this is mostly a problem in taiwan and not so much in the west at the moment cause more people play mmo out there. but it will only get worse.

Blah people forget what games are for....
And that mafias theyre stupid that will make people run from the games and.. what would they want swords in a desert server for?

This is so frikin sick