Shoutbox

Panda 0wns - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Panda 0wns (/showthread.php?tid=41647)

Panda 0wns by God of the Devil on 03-31-2005 at 05:44 PM

i would recommend panda antivirus to anyone whos considering switching antiviruses or getting a new computer for these reasons

1. Nortan couldnt find a cold on a guy with a runny nose
2. Panda Runs as a service so it works as soon as windows boots up
3. The SOS virus feature, if you have an unkown virus you can send it to panda and they will send you a sig file in under 24hrs, that was a live saver for me
4. it costs under £10 (uk)(oem)
5. Its so easy to use
6. It runs in the background so you dont get popups about virus updates
7. it comes with a good firewall included in the price
8. comes on a bootable cd-rom :)
9. all the above
10. pick reason here

i have used nortan mcafee and panda, but i think panda rules :)

what antivirus do you like and why?

RE: Panda 0wns by Vilkku on 03-31-2005 at 05:49 PM

I dislike Panda, I was working at a computer shop once and they had two broken computers that started working after uninstalling Panda, but ofc it might have been something else. Anyway, I use F-Secure. Th ecomputer shop where I buy my computers gives it away free with a one-year license so I don't need anything else.

RE: Panda 0wns by user27089 on 03-31-2005 at 05:51 PM

I always use AVG, because its constant updating of Definitions, because its free, really good, and easy to use, I may start to use McAfee though, does anybody know if mcafee is any good?

RE: Panda 0wns by God of the Devil on 03-31-2005 at 05:52 PM

the only niggle i had with panda is that if it goes "not responding" i have to resort to restarting my computer cos its a unquittable service

RE: Panda 0wns by user35870 on 03-31-2005 at 05:58 PM

quote:
Originally posted by traxor
does anybody know if mcafee is any good?

yeh I have it  its fine doesn't take up to much memory , the firewall is good and the virus scanner gets Definitions updates regular.
RE: Panda 0wns by user27089 on 03-31-2005 at 05:58 PM

Now to me, it being a process that cannot be ended is a definite problem, this sounds like a major downside to the piece of software, its just another reason not to use it...

RE: Panda 0wns by God of the Devil on 03-31-2005 at 06:11 PM

its only happened to me twice within 6mths of using it

RE: Panda 0wns by Ezra on 03-31-2005 at 06:33 PM

I have panda too, it's real good!

RE: Panda 0wns by God of the Devil on 03-31-2005 at 06:35 PM

hey man, does anyone know the path/file i need to tell msn to scan my files for file transfer?

RE: Panda 0wns by aNILEator on 03-31-2005 at 07:08 PM

I'm AVG all the way, free and just as good as the next for us more atuned to the ways of computer types (aka we don't download things from random email attachments or things that look like Trojan.exe or Look-at-this-cool-thingy.omg :P)

RE: Panda 0wns by M73A on 03-31-2005 at 07:12 PM

quote:
Originally posted by traxor
I always use AVG, because its constant updating of Definitions, because its free, really good, and easy to use, I may start to use McAfee though, does anybody know if mcafee is any good?

quote:
Originally posted by Fukafly
I'm AVG all the way, free and just as good as the next for us more atuned to the ways of computer types (aka we don't download things from random email attachments or things that look like Trojan.exe or Look-at-this-cool-thingy.omg :P)

AVG is excellent, AVG 7 Pro is excellent as it has LOTS of feautres....its worth the registration cost....

but im sure theres a serial out there on google, always is with antivirus's AFAIK...:dodgy:

RE: Panda 0wns by Veggie on 04-01-2005 at 10:25 AM

I use sophos antivirus, never had any problems with it (Y)

RE: RE: Panda 0wns by user2319 on 04-06-2005 at 05:21 PM

quote:
Originally posted by God of the Devil
the only niggle i had with panda is that if it goes "not responding" i have to resort to restarting my computer cos its a unquittable service

Start > Run > services.msc
RE: Panda 0wns by Tasha on 04-06-2005 at 07:01 PM

AVG all the way.

Its Realiable, it updats daily, it doesn't take up much memory, runs quietly in the background, detects viruses quickly, good at getting rid of viruses, and many other things.

RE: Panda 0wns by King For A Day on 04-06-2005 at 08:36 PM

nothing up with norton, havent had any infection since getting it

RE: Panda 0wns by Gonçalo F. on 04-06-2005 at 08:44 PM

no problems but the excess of memory usage and the decreasing speed of running applications.
i've using kaspersky for a while now, and it's very simple and effective. i would recommend you to check http://www.av-comparatives.org as it is a great source to check testings to almost all the current avs on the market.

RE: Panda 0wns by Zephyr on 04-06-2005 at 10:11 PM

This is going to turn into another antivirus war thread. O well, can't stop it.

AVG Free edition is the one I use and its been great with defenition updating and dealing with viruses.

RE: Panda 0wns by Caboose on 04-06-2005 at 10:23 PM

avast! Antivirus is the one for me. Free and the virus database is constantly updated (at least 3 times a week) (Y)