Shoutbox

msn 7 error code - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: msn 7 error code (/showthread.php?tid=41663)

msn 7 error code by xpirdwingz on 03-31-2005 at 10:05 PM

Hi, I don't know if anyone's mentioned about this, probably have lots of times, sorry! I've tried to download msn 7, but i keep getting the error code '1603' and have downloaded it from the msn site. Any solutions? ~thanks~

RE: msn 7 error code by Sunshine on 03-31-2005 at 10:16 PM

Turn off all programs that might prevent software from installing (AdWatch,  Antivirus etc.) and try again.

Also when downloading: don't use a downloadmanager.

RE: msn 7 error code by xpirdwingz on 04-01-2005 at 01:53 PM

Hm, doesn't seem to do the trick...
btw, what is a downloadmanager?

RE: msn 7 error code by Sunshine on 04-01-2005 at 02:17 PM

A downloadmanager is a program that speeds up downloads (often also gives you the possibility to resume the download if you get disconnected..good for pictures, but it often messes up exe files).

Try installing on an account with adminpriviledges and do that in safemode to be sure no other program wich can prevent software from installing is running (continuously hit F8 on startup).

RE: msn 7 error code by brian on 04-01-2005 at 11:08 PM

Have you installed the official BETA from MSN Messenger website? If not, reinstall it from there, If so, try reinstalling, serval people had same problem after a MSN Messenger upgrade, not being able to connect.

RE: msn 7 error code by albert on 04-01-2005 at 11:11 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Sunshine

Try installing on an account with adminpriviledges and do that in safemode to be sure no other program wich can prevent software from installing is running (continuously hit F8 on startup).

This could be the issue, also hwhat Windows are you using?
because to install msn 7 on windows 98 you need to upgrade your internet explorer to the 6 series.

quote:
Originally posted by Brian
Have you installed the official BETA from MSN Messenger website? If not, reinstall it from there, If so, try reinstalling, serval people had same problem after a MSN Messenger upgrade, not being able to connect.

He did mention it comes from the official site.

What I suggest you to do is to check everything mentioned on this thread, then if you still have problem installing,m you can uses WebMessenger, the offcial web based msn messenger if you want,

here's the adress : http://webmessenger.msn.com

Hope I helped

RE: msn 7 error code by xpirdwingz on 04-02-2005 at 02:57 PM

Thanks for your help. Unfortunately though, since trying to download msn 7, I have uninstalled msn 6.2, which has left me with neither. Then the next day, I tried to upgrade my Windows Messenger, and that concluded in another error, and left me with no Windows Messenger :P. Apparently, a lot of other ppl who have tried the same thing as me, have had the same happened to them. Now I'm using web messenger and I'll probably go to Yahoo until I can get this sorted.

I have Windows XP

RE: msn 7 error code by Sunshine on 04-02-2005 at 05:53 PM

Steps to fix the problems:
1. Do a windowsupdate.
2. Install Java (MSN 7 seems to need this).
3. Reboot.
4. Download and install Windows messenger 5.1
(make sure there are no programs running wich prevent software from installing).
5. Remove all folders pointing towards MSN Messenger (MSN Messenger folder in programfiles folder).
6. Redownload MSN Messenger 7 beta or MSN 6.2 and install on account with adminpriviledges, after that install on useraccount if need be (make sure there are no programs running wich prevent software from installing).

I hope this helps.

RE: msn 7 error code by xpirdwingz on 04-03-2005 at 07:55 PM

Thanks Sunshine, I haven't tried it yet, but just today, I've been having problems with my Yahoo too. An error comes up every now and then, and it signs out of yahoo each time :S..

RE: msn 7 error code by Sunshine on 04-03-2005 at 09:21 PM

Maybe there is more wrong than just MSN Messenger not wanting to install. I advice to do windowsupdate, an ad/spyware scan and a virusscan. A seperate virusscanner you can run besides your regular AV program is Avert Stinger.

Can't really say what it is, it might be serverside (your Yahoo problem). Can you post the exact errormessage?

RE: msn 7 error code by *~*PaNiC qUeEn*~* on 04-03-2005 at 09:46 PM

it sounds like to me that there is deffenitly something wrong with not just messenger but ur system,,,wut virus scan do you use?...i recomend BitDefender 8 Professional Plus http://www.soft32.com/download_76095.html ....and when you do a spyware scan use Microsoft AntiSpyware(BETA) http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/default.mspx i find these the most effective :)

RE: msn 7 error code by xpirdwingz on 04-07-2005 at 12:53 PM

The error message since then, hasn't been occuring, thankfully. So for Yahoo, its going alright now.

I've done a windowsupdate a week back, if I remember correctly. I also run the LiveUpdate of Symantec Antivirus (Corporate Edition) every couple weeks and I get my system scanned for viruses every Monday as scheduled. Nothing seems to be picked up. Also, if my internet lags for about 5 seconds most times, would that be due to my internet provider or maybe lack of space on my computer, perhaps?

RE: msn 7 error code by Sunshine on 04-07-2005 at 02:06 PM

If your internetconnection lags it could be due to a memorything, your ISP or the site you visit. You can clear internetcache (in browser: settings > internetoptions > temp internet files ... click "remove files") ;)

RE: msn 7 error code by xpirdwingz on 04-07-2005 at 04:24 PM

How long does clearing internetcache take? i tried it, but the internet stopped responding, is that not normal?

RE: msn 7 error code by Sunshine on 04-07-2005 at 04:45 PM

quote:
Originally posted by xpirdwingz
How long does clearing internetcache take? i tried it, but the internet stopped responding, is that not normal?
Depends on how much is inthere, you can go into your browsersettings and see if there's anything to set clear cache (delete temp internet files) on exit. Whilst deleting those files you can't browse on on the internet, thats correct.

RE: msn 7 error code by xpirdwingz on 04-07-2005 at 07:44 PM

Ah okay, thanks Sunshine :)
Btw, I just successfully downloaded the released version of msn 7!

RE: msn 7 error code by Sunshine on 04-07-2005 at 09:52 PM

quote:
Originally posted by xpirdwingz
Ah okay, thanks Sunshine :)
Btw, I just successfully downloaded the released version of msn 7!
You're welcome xpirdwingz, i'm glad even the MSNM problems are solved now.

:banana:

I also use same MSNM version :D
RE: msn 7 error code by xpirdwingz on 04-08-2005 at 02:30 PM

Well Sunshine, alllmostt.. I tried to do Remote Assistance last night on msn 7, but because you have to have an updated version of windows messenger, i still have an error in that problem. Actually, I don't have a windows messenger at all :S since it disappeared last time, so I tried downloading windows msger 5.1 but that error is still the same. Nevermind for now though, at least msn 7 is working :D.
Also cleared my temporary files- do you recommend an option for where it says how often to check for newer versions of stored files? at the moment, mines set on automatically- would that mean there would be more files?

RE: msn 7 error code by Sunshine on 04-08-2005 at 04:24 PM

If you always want to see the newest page (it might have been changed since you looked at it), then yeah it should be set to automatic (mine is set to that aswell). In that very same screen you can set the size of the cache (settings > internetoptions > under temp internetfiles click settings)..set the size of that folder to 50 MB, it's more then enough and will prevent internet becoming slow cuz of a too big a cache ;)

As for the windowsmessenger problem, try and install it in safemode on the account called "administrator".

RE: msn 7 error code by xpirdwingz on 04-09-2005 at 12:33 PM

Could you tell me how to do that, please? And how to change it back to normal after safemode? :)

RE: msn 7 error code by Sunshine on 04-09-2005 at 01:20 PM

To go into safemode hit F8 continuously on start up. You will return to normal mode when you choose start > shuttoff> reboot in safemode (simply said: when you start windows again you will be in normal mode again) ;)