Shoutbox

What came first, the chicken or the egg? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: General Chit Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+----- Thread: What came first, the chicken or the egg? (/showthread.php?tid=41784)

What came first, the chicken or the egg? by violator999 on 04-02-2005 at 10:25 AM

Seriously don't know :S

RE: What came first, the chicken or the egg? by Hank on 04-02-2005 at 10:28 AM

u serious u dont?

RE: What came first, the chicken or the egg? by ddunk on 04-02-2005 at 10:28 AM

Egg. Dinosaurs were laying eggs before chickens existed.

RE: What came first, the chicken or the egg? by Eljay on 04-02-2005 at 10:28 AM

the chicken but then it came from an egg which a chicken laid but then it came from an egg.....

TWO HOURS LATER...

...which the chicken laid which came from an egg.....

* Eljay smashes head on a wall

RE: What came first, the chicken or the egg? by Rik on 04-02-2005 at 10:28 AM

yep,the egg of course

RE: What came first, the chicken or the egg? by violator999 on 04-02-2005 at 10:29 AM

well, yeah i don't lol
like there's no egg is there's no chicken, and there's no chicken if there's no egg

RE: RE: What came first, the chicken or the egg? by Rik on 04-02-2005 at 10:30 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Ddunk

i think his right8-)
RE: What came first, the chicken or the egg? by Eljay on 04-02-2005 at 10:32 AM

which came first then, the dinosaur or the egg? :refuck:

RE: What came first, the chicken or the egg? by ddunk on 04-02-2005 at 10:33 AM

Well, if you wanna go with the whole Adam & Eve thing, the egg again, Eve had a child and therefore had an egg :P

RE: What came first, the chicken or the egg? by Rik on 04-02-2005 at 10:35 AM

know one was there to see how it was.
so it's hard to discover:undecided:

RE: What came first, the chicken or the egg? by Eljay on 04-02-2005 at 10:37 AM

quote:
Well, if you wanna go with the whole Adam & Eve thing, the egg again, Eve had a child and therefore had an egg :P

:dodgy:

ok who created adam and eve (and if it was god, who created god?)
RE: What came first, the chicken or the egg? by ddunk on 04-02-2005 at 10:40 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Lee Jeffery
quote:

:dodgy:

ok who created adam and eve (and if it was god, who created god?)

Uhh, dunno :P
RE: What came first, the chicken or the egg? by Rik on 04-02-2005 at 10:48 AM

god created adam and eve.
and maybe god came from a egg:refuck:

RE: What came first, the chicken or the egg? by Eljay on 04-02-2005 at 10:49 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Cool Rik
god created adam and eve.
and maybe god came from a egg:refuck:

who laid the egg? :P
RE: What came first, the chicken or the egg? by Rik on 04-02-2005 at 10:50 AM

god's father or a chicken

RE: What came first, the chicken or the egg? by violator999 on 04-02-2005 at 10:51 AM

so THE CHICKEN OR THE EGG ?

RE: What came first, the chicken or the egg? by ddunk on 04-02-2005 at 10:52 AM

quote:

RE: RE: What came first, the chicken or the egg? by Rik on 04-02-2005 at 10:54 AM

quote:

i think his right8-)(this sounds familiar)
RE: What came first, the chicken or the egg? by violator999 on 04-02-2005 at 10:56 AM

i can't see the relation between both enlighten me !

RE: What came first, the chicken or the egg? by user27089 on 04-02-2005 at 11:02 AM

In my opinion, if you're following the theory of evolution, that means the chickens evovled, which also means the decendants of the chicken came first :).

RE: What came first, the chicken or the egg? by Choli on 04-02-2005 at 11:16 AM

quote:
Originally posted by violator999
so what came first, the spam or the spammer? :mipdodgy:
RE: What came first, the chicken or the egg? by user27089 on 04-02-2005 at 11:18 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Calvin
quote:
Originally posted by traxor
In my opinion, if you're following the theory of evolution, that means the chickens evovled, which also means the decendants of the chicken came first :).

thats what i said, but nobody listens to me :cry:

I'm listening to you, and I think that we are incredibly right.
RE: RE: What came first, the chicken or the egg? by Rik on 04-02-2005 at 11:20 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Choli
quote:
so what came first, the spam or the spammer? :mipdodgy:

the spammer.
without hem theres no spam:cheesy:
RE: What came first, the chicken or the egg? by user27089 on 04-02-2005 at 11:23 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Cool Rik
the spammer.
without hem theres no spam:cheesy:

that also means without an egg there would be no chicken right? Wrong :).
RE: What came first, the chicken or the egg? by M73A on 04-02-2005 at 11:39 AM

i think the chicken evovled from something and then laid an egg.....so i would have to say the chicken came first

RE: What came first, the chicken or the egg? by John Anderton on 04-02-2005 at 11:57 AM

None of the above :refuck: Its an endless question imo :P

RE: What came first, the chicken or the egg? by Anubis on 04-02-2005 at 12:02 PM

quote:
Originally posted by traxor
Still leaves the question, so which came first, the evolutionary ancestor of the chicken or the egg...I mean how in evolution could you suddenly stop being born in the way we are and be born in an egg...you're either from a hatched egg or not.

There's three ways we could find out;
Ask God
Ask John Titor (after all he can go back and check)
Ask some evolutionary genius in 30 years or so, when he figures it out...
RE: What came first, the chicken or the egg? by saralk on 04-02-2005 at 12:34 PM

if you believe in the theory of evolution than the modern day chicken we know and love must have come in the egg first, because it would have been a genetic mutation from the chicken that was it's pearant, so it would have been in an egg.

RE: What came first, the chicken or the egg? by andrewdodd13 on 04-02-2005 at 12:58 PM

Hmm, this is interesting, but I'm going with the egg... just my beliefs on evolution, though we cant prove it:

Primordial Soup + Catalyst -> Bateria & Amobeia (sp?) (Reproduce with mitosis) -> Larger Organisms (mitosis again) -> Sea Creatures (live birth?) -> Bigger Sea Creatures -> Amphibians -> Bunch of other stuff -> Chicken

The important part is the Larger Organisms forming the small sea creatures (trioblites etc), they must've formed through mitosis, I think, sort of like the way that a child is created through the egg spliting again and again until some fancy stuff happens then more cells appear...

---------------------------------------

All just my theory of course ;)

P.S. The chicken was born from a mutated egg :P

RE: What came first, the chicken or the egg? by violator999 on 04-02-2005 at 01:04 PM

confusion confusion !

RE: What came first, the chicken or the egg? by andrewdodd13 on 04-02-2005 at 01:15 PM

heh im good at that ;)
basically... the egg came first :D

RE: What came first, the chicken or the egg? by FrozernFire on 04-02-2005 at 01:58 PM

every generation is slightly different from the earlier one. when the generation of the bird right before the chicken lays an egg, inside the egg is a true chicken. therefore egg comes first.

RE: What came first, the chicken or the egg? by Eljay on 04-02-2005 at 02:02 PM

for all of you that said it mutated from another egg or whatever, thats wrong too!

think about the first first first first ever animal that the modern chciken mutated from (lets call it blah :P)

what came first blah or the egg?

and you cant really say it mutated because like i said, its the first first first first thing that ever laid an egg :P

RE: What came first, the chicken or the egg? by CookieRevised on 04-02-2005 at 02:46 PM

quote:
What came first, the chicken or the egg?
The farmer came first...

Edit: Calvin, lol... btw, I don't live in a city ;) and we have lots of animals too, including chickens, goats, dogs, rabbit and a horse (not a farmer though). :refuck:
RE: What came first, the chicken or the egg? by paperless on 04-02-2005 at 03:02 PM

Lol when i saw the title i said to myself : "it was violator o started it" and i was right! :cheesy:

I think it was the chicken. The chicken probalby as some other animal that suffered a mutation and then laid an egg and from that egg came the chicken we know nowadays.

I found two interesting sites on google:

http://www.improb.com/airchives/paperair/volume9/v9i4/chicken_egg.html
http://radicalpedagogy.icaap.org/content/issue5_2/04_garner.html

RE: What came first, the chicken or the egg? by TheBlasphemer on 04-02-2005 at 03:07 PM

hmmmm, depends on your definition of a chicken...
According to me, chickens are born from eggs, so the egg must be first.
However, if you would call a "chicken" not born from an egg a chicken too, then the chicken was first :P

RE: What came first, the chicken or the egg? by J.J on 04-02-2005 at 03:29 PM

Well i think the chicken came first because i think God put chickens on the earth first amoungst other animals...

Then...the chicken layed the egg...

RE: What came first, the chicken or the egg? by paperless on 04-02-2005 at 03:32 PM

On that site i posted its proven it was the chicken and i think theyre right! How can the egg come from the nowhere without an animal to laid it? Its obvious that the chicken came first

RE: What came first, the chicken or the egg? by mad_onion on 04-02-2005 at 03:38 PM

it all depens on your definition of egg in this context. are you refering to any egg or a chcken's egg?
i will asume you mean a chicken's egg as that is what it is in the original riddle. another question is does the egg have to be from  a modern chicken or can it be from the creature from which modern chickens are classified? if you answer me these questions then it is possible to answer. basically you need more information to answer the question

RE: What came first, the chicken or the egg? by CookieRevised on 04-02-2005 at 04:10 PM

quote:
Originally posted by paperless
I found two interesting sites on google:

http://radicalpedagogy.icaap.org/content/issue5_2/04_garner.html

quote:
How the Problem was Solved

Which came first — the chicken of the egg? I tackled the question experimentally, using a chicken, an egg, and the United States Postal Service (USPS).

I mailed the chicken and the egg, each in its own separate packaging, and kept careful track of when each shipment was sent from a post office in Cambridge, Massachusetts, and when it subsequently arrived at its intended destination in New York City.
ROFLOL :lol:  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
RE: What came first, the chicken or the egg? by KeyStorm on 04-02-2005 at 05:05 PM

:lol::lol:

Well, it's the egg.

All beings come from unicellular beings and what's an egg? a developing unicellular form of life.
Actually every embryonary evolution stage is a fast-forward copy of actual life evolution. For example, very early-staged human embryos look are one cell, then a handful cells, then they look like simple fish, several weeks later they get arms and legs, after a couple of months the tail shrinks and nearly disappears. Well, this is exactly our evolution branch. Hereafter, the first egg was a bacterium.

:gfdrin:

RE: What came first, the chicken or the egg? by John Anderton on 04-02-2005 at 05:24 PM

OK .... lot of brainstorming ....
Chicken :dodgy: the question is dodgy :P

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
Which came first — the chicken of the egg? I tackled the question experimentally, using a chicken, an egg, and the United States Postal Service (USPS).

I mailed the chicken and the egg, each in its own separate packaging, and kept careful track of when each shipment was sent from a post office in Cambridge, Massachusetts, and when it subsequently arrived at its intended destination in New York City.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
My answer is that it was a chicken ancestor ... who layed the 1st egg and a chicked was born .... meh .... the question is dodgy :dodgy:
* John Anderton slaps the person who tht of this question :dodgy:
ill think about it more even tho there will be no answer to it :dodgy:
RE: What came first, the chicken or the egg? by banky on 04-02-2005 at 06:26 PM

In nature, living things evolve through changes in their DNA. In an animal like a chicken, DNA from a male sperm cell and a female ovum meet and combine to form a zygote -- the first cell of a new baby chicken. This first cell divides innumerable times to form all of the cells of the complete animal. In any animal, every cell contains exactly the same DNA, and that DNA comes from the zygote.

Chickens evolved from non-chickens through small changes caused by the mixing of male and female DNA or by mutations to the DNA that produced the zygote. These changes and mutations only have an effect at the point where a new zygote is created. That is, two non-chickens mated and the DNA in their new zygote contained the mutation(s) that produced the first true chicken. That one zygote cell divided to produce the first true chicken.

Prior to that first true chicken zygote, there were only non-chickens. The zygote cell is the only place where DNA mutations could produce a new animal, and the zygote cell is housed in the chicken's egg. So, the egg must have come first.

RE: What came first, the chicken or the egg? by Purity on 04-02-2005 at 06:34 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Lee Jeffery
which came first then, the dinosaur or the egg? :refuck:
:rofl:

I voted for egg.... 8-)
RE: What came first, the chicken or the egg? by violator999 on 04-02-2005 at 06:43 PM

well if that's the case ( i mean about mutation and stuff then ur absolutely right )
Unless GOD just created everything and put all these creatures on earth. i mean we don't know for how long chickens have been on earth, so if u think about it that way, then the chicken came first, and if u think the other way ( mutation ) the egg came first :)

RE: What came first, the chicken or the egg? by TheBlasphemer on 04-02-2005 at 06:49 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Third Dimension
Well i think the chicken came first because i think God put chickens on the earth first amoungst other animals...

Then...the chicken layed the egg...

bleeh, bullshit, evolution "made" the chicken...

RE: What came first, the chicken or the egg? by Panachiba on 04-02-2005 at 07:02 PM

quote:
Originally posted by KeyStorm
:lol::lol:

Well, it's the egg.

All beings come from unicellular beings and what's an egg? a developing unicellular form of life.
Actually every embryonary evolution stage is a fast-forward copy of actual life evolution. For example, very early-staged human embryos look are one cell, then a handful cells, then they look like simple fish, several weeks later they get arms and legs, after a couple of months the tail shrinks and nearly disappears. Well, this is exactly our evolution branch. Hereafter, the first egg was a bacterium.

:gfdrin:

yea yea xD  mm egg came first to..:P :lol:
RE: What came first, the chicken or the egg? by ShawnZ on 04-02-2005 at 07:58 PM

If we think about the question as it was origionally meant to be told, where the chicken is a generic animal representing any given species, then the `chicken' came first. Here is the explanation

When the earth started, thosands of strands of bacteria was created. They further evolved and evolved untill they were the animal they represented. These animals then laid eggs to make more of themselves.

RE: What came first, the chicken or the egg? by King For A Day on 04-02-2005 at 08:18 PM

you're all wrong, the chickens have been around for ever they were beemed from a  space ship as soon as the earth was created, the aliens made them with their super amazing ray guns

RE: What came first, the chicken or the egg? by Weyzza on 04-02-2005 at 08:47 PM

Of course the chicken came first :-/

RE: What came first, the chicken or the egg? by King For A Day on 04-02-2005 at 08:54 PM

quote:
Originally posted by thekid

but can you prove it?
you cant day it and expect it to to belivable, (ecept when i say things, i need no evidence)
RE: What came first, the chicken or the egg? by Weyzza on 04-02-2005 at 09:01 PM

quote:
Originally posted by King For A Day
quote:

but can you prove it?
you cant day it and expect it to to belivable, (ecept when i say things, i need no evidence)
So you are saying a sperm out of nowhere and an ovum out of nowhere met by coincidence, then they united became a zygote and then the first human came.

If you wanna follow "the evolution rule," the chicken was from other species, a lizard for example or most likely :-/
RE: What came first, the chicken or the egg? by King For A Day on 04-02-2005 at 09:13 PM

quote:
quote:
quote:

but can you prove it?
So you are saying a sperm out of nowhere and an ovum out of nowhere met by coincidence, then they united became a zygote and then the first human came.

no ill quote myself

quote:
you're all wrong, the chickens have been around for ever they were beemed from a  space ship as soon as the earth was created, the aliens made them with their super amazing ray guns

thats waht im saying
RE: What came first, the chicken or the egg? by Weyzza on 04-02-2005 at 09:37 PM

quote:
no ill quote myself
quote:
thats waht im saying
And I too will quote what you said :gfdrin:
quote:
but can you prove it?

RE: What came first, the chicken or the egg? by marissa on 04-02-2005 at 09:40 PM

I personally think the egg, because maybe a a dinosaure (reptile looking thing) had sex with a bird looking thing, maybe that could explain their scaly looking things under their neck and their tallons on their feet. THere would be more than one made in the litter, so they'd become incest then the chicken part of the DNA would mix with the other chicken part of the DNA from the other then form a chicken. so i think this is what it'd look like:
[Image: chicken.jpg]

But other than that theory, i think it'd still be the egg because of the bacteria thing forming eggs, then those chickens would be incest then make more chickens, then more then more...

dont think im stupid ;(

RE: What came first, the chicken or the egg? by Weyzza on 04-02-2005 at 09:48 PM

quote:
Originally posted by marissa
I personally think the egg, because maybe a a dinosaure (reptile looking thing) had sex with a bird looking thing, maybe that could explain their scaly looking things under their neck and their tallons on their feet. THere would be more than one made in the litter, so they'd become incest then the chicken part of the DNA would mix with the other chicken part of the DNA from the other then form a chicken.
I'm sorry, but it's an invalid theory imho.
Like a man had sex with a bat, and there came Batman :tongue:

Maybe that's too extreme, but we know that a horse and a donkey reproduce a mule (a mix of both), but the mule is infertile.
quote:

so i think this is what it'd look like:

Great pic, but the chickensaur would fall to the front side every time it tried to stand up :p
RE: What came first, the chicken or the egg? by marissa on 04-02-2005 at 09:51 PM

quote:
Great pic, but the chickensaur would fall to the front side every time it tried to stand up

then why doesnt a chicken fall down when it tries to walk? (my thing has wings by the way, it took me like 3 seconds to make
:\)

quote:
I'm sorry, but it's an invalid theory imho.

why? It could happen. you werent there, pluis its just a guess. and bat man wasnt created by a man sexing up a bat, he found himself in a cave after his parents were shot and a big group of bats flew into him so he wanted to be a hero to fight bad people like the people that shot and killed his parents, so batman.

RE: What came first, the chicken or the egg? by Weyzza on 04-02-2005 at 09:56 PM

quote:
then why doesnt a chicken fall down when it tries to walk? (my thing has wings by the way, it took me like 3 seconds to make
:\)
Because you placed the feet too far to make the body steady.
It could be solved though if you made the tail bigger.

quote:

why? It could happen. you werent there, pluis its just a guess. and bat man wasnt created by a man sexing up a bat, he found himself in a cave after his parents were shot and a big group of bats flew into him so he wanted to be a hero to fight bad people like the people that shot and killed his parents, so batman.
:lol:
RE: What came first, the chicken or the egg? by marissa on 04-02-2005 at 10:04 PM

quote:
Because you placed the feet too far to make the body steady.
It could be solved though if you made the tail bigger.

but its just a concept image. i wasnt going to spend my day making it :p

quote:
:lol:

its the truth :p

RE: What came first, the chicken or the egg? by J.J on 04-03-2005 at 02:40 AM

quote:
Originally posted by TheBlasphemer

Could be, but theres nothing to proove it :rolleyes:
RE: What came first, the chicken or the egg? by ddunk on 04-03-2005 at 02:41 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Third Dimension
quote:
Originally posted by TheBlasphemer

Could be, but theres nothing to proove it :rolleyes:

Nothing to prove any other theory either though.
RE: What came first, the chicken or the egg? by lizard.boy on 04-03-2005 at 05:07 AM

not gonna read 6 pages of egg. i think that the egg came first because the chicken that hactched from the egg was the first chicken that had evolved from a previos bird.

RE: What came first, the chicken or the egg? by Pipish on 04-03-2005 at 07:04 AM

:P rofl i say egg yes dinosours laid eggs

RE: What came first, the chicken or the egg? by John on 04-03-2005 at 08:31 AM

The single celled organism.

RE: What came first, the chicken or the egg? by Crasher on 04-03-2005 at 10:42 AM

yes i also say eggs came first in fish and reptiles millions of years ago

RE: What came first, the chicken or the egg? by Crasher on 04-03-2005 at 11:16 AM

whatchu talkin bout calvin

RE: What came first, the chicken or the egg? by Crasher on 04-03-2005 at 11:20 AM

which are the dinosaurs that laid eggs

RE: What came first, the chicken or the egg? by KeyStorm on 04-03-2005 at 07:02 PM

The main problem is that at the beginning there was absolutely no difference between chicken and egg. The bacterium suddently divided itself into two equal bacteria, so you couldn't even tell which of both was the "mother".

So, looking at the problem from this pov, the answer is: BOTH.

However, the question is about chicken and egg. Noone said the egg had to contain a future chicken, so on the other hand the egg was absolutely first. :gfdrin:

PS: I haven't read the last posts, I just thought about the problem a while and got to other answers :refuck: