Shoutbox

MSN Messenger Still With Longhorn MSN Features. - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: MSN Messenger Still With Longhorn MSN Features. (/showthread.php?tid=41934)

MSN Messenger Still With Longhorn MSN Features. by ProblemWv Authority on 04-04-2005 at 06:14 PM

Hi.

A while ago I installed the Longhorn MSN Skin for my MSN Messenger 6.2.0205. After a while I decided to uninstall it. It doesn't seem to have uninstalled the whole thing as whenever the MSN Messenger windows get grouped together I get the Longhorn MSN icon still (as shown in attachment bellow). Why is this and how can I get rid of it back to a nice clean version of MSN Messenger 6.2.0205 the original;)??? lol.

I've tryed uninstalling it once and reinstalling MSN Messenger 6.2.0205 but this still happened, so I uninstalled it again and after deleted the MSN Messenger folder in Program Files on my computer and then reinstalled it but I still get this. Can anyone help?

[Edit]Oops, forgot to attach the picture:$:P[/Edit]

RE: MSN Messenger Still With Longhorn MSN Features. by Tourist on 04-04-2005 at 06:22 PM

Check MSN Messenger in program files, see if there is anything to do with Longhorn in there. Delete if so.

If no luck then either repair MSN Messenger.

When you re-install it then that should clear it, not sure why it hasn't in your case.

RE: MSN Messenger Still With Longhorn MSN Features. by ProblemWv Authority on 04-04-2005 at 06:28 PM

Erm...there's a msnmsgr.exe.bak file that may have it in it's original state, maby i could restore it from there...don't know how to though. If not how do i repair MSN Messenger because I have already tryed reinstalling it twice and that didn't work.

RE: MSN Messenger Still With Longhorn MSN Features. by Choli on 04-04-2005 at 06:30 PM

If you've reinstalled a clean messenger and the problem is still there, i see two possible causes: You haven't restarted the computer since the first uninstall of the skin and/or there's a problem with the cache of the icons that the explorer of Windows keeps.

Either one or the other cause, try to restart the computer. It should solve the problem. If it doesn't, uninstall messenger, restart, delete (if it's still there) the folder of messenger from the program files folder, reinstall messenger and reboot again.

RE: MSN Messenger Still With Longhorn MSN Features. by Tourist on 04-04-2005 at 06:32 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ProblemWv Authority
Erm...there's a msnmsgr.exe.bak file that may have it in it's original state, maby i could restore it from there...don't know how to though. If not how do i repair MSN Messenger because I have already tryed reinstalling it twice and that didn't work.

To repair MSN Messenger, find it in the add & remove list, then hit 'Change' instead of 'Remove'
But try what Choli said
RE: MSN Messenger Still With Longhorn MSN Features. by ProblemWv Authority on 04-04-2005 at 06:56 PM

:|I've tried all of the suggestions above and it still shows up with those icons:S:|

Any ideas?

Thanks anyway so far:)

RE: MSN Messenger Still With Longhorn MSN Features. by Tourist on 04-04-2005 at 07:01 PM

Is the skin name not listed in Add & Remove programs list? If it is then uninstall it from there.

Have you got any dodgy plug-ins that could effect skins?

When you completely uninstall MSN Messenger and all it's files, the skins should be deleted completely. Very strange.

RE: MSN Messenger Still With Longhorn MSN Features. by ProblemWv Authority on 04-04-2005 at 07:10 PM

Ye I uninstalled it from there. Very strange indeed lol.

Erm, I have Messenger Plus 3.50.124, Messenger Discovery v3 (3004), Stuff Plug Next Generation 2.1.243, Colour Nick 2.0.78 and Screenshot Sender 3.0.555.

RE: MSN Messenger Still With Longhorn MSN Features. by Tourist on 04-04-2005 at 07:14 PM

I use Plus! and Messenger Discovery, and i've had the same skin before with no problems, but i'm not familiar with the other plug-ins. They shouldn't be a problem really.. I think when I had the longhorn skin there was a uninstaller in the MSN Messenger folder, did you ever see one in there? You sure there aren't any files to do with Longhorn skin in the MSN folder?

RE: MSN Messenger Still With Longhorn MSN Features. by ProblemWv Authority on 04-04-2005 at 07:20 PM

Ye. I uninstalled it from the Add/Remove Programs. This is my MSN Messenger folder as it is at the moment (attached), doesn't seem to be anything related to The Longhorn MSN Skin:^).

RE: MSN Messenger Still With Longhorn MSN Features. by Zephyr on 04-04-2005 at 07:24 PM

This could work. Go to Skin Manager. Its a program which lets you easily apply skins. It has an orinigal skin on it but im not sure if it works for MSN 6.

RE: MSN Messenger Still With Longhorn MSN Features. by Tourist on 04-04-2005 at 07:26 PM

Your MSN folder looks fine to me.

The only thing I can think of now is to Uninstall MSN Messenger + MSN Plus! then restart your computer then re-install them both.

I can't see why that shouldn't clear the skin completely.

Sorry I couldn't be of much help, hope ya sort it out. (Y)

RE: MSN Messenger Still With Longhorn MSN Features. by ProblemWv Authority on 04-04-2005 at 07:29 PM

:O..............................................YAY!:D:D:D its back and working fine with the original icon now. Don't know what I did but its back again:).

:DThanks for all your help guys:D(Y)

RE: RE: MSN Messenger Still With Longhorn MSN Features. by Tourist on 04-04-2005 at 07:30 PM

quote:
:O..............................................YAY!:D:D:D its back and working fine with the original icon now. Don't know what I did but its back again:).

Good stuff, glad you got it sorted.

Skins can be dodgy sometimes.
RE: MSN Messenger Still With Longhorn MSN Features. by blackjack on 04-04-2005 at 07:36 PM

If my memory dont fail me that is a Rolando skin isnt it? every skin comes with an uninstaller 8-) maybe that was the problem :P.. you should remove using the uninstaller not in Add/remove..

maybe im wrong |-)

RE: MSN Messenger Still With Longhorn MSN Features. by Tourist on 04-04-2005 at 07:56 PM

quote:
Originally posted by blaCkjaCk
If my memory dont fail me that is a Rolando skin isnt it? every skin comes with an uninstaller 8-) maybe that was the problem :P.. you should remove using the uninstaller not in Add/remove..

maybe im wrong |-)

I think your right, I read on Rolando website and it is his skin, and they come with an uninstaller, that's why I metioned it to ProblemWv. But it's all sorted now that's the main thing.
RE: MSN Messenger Still With Longhorn MSN Features. by Choli on 04-04-2005 at 08:02 PM

quote:

nice to read that...

IMO, I think that that was a problem with the cache of icons of the Windows explorer (explorer.exe). It's known to have the cache corrupted sometimes, specially in Win98 (not so often in XP). In your case, it may have been fixed after several reboots. Anyway, it got solved, so :banana:
RE: MSN Messenger Still With Longhorn MSN Features. by Ezra on 04-04-2005 at 09:05 PM

quote:
Originally posted by blaCkjaCk

maybe im wrong |-)

Add/Remove is a list of all the uninstallers
RE: MSN Messenger Still With Longhorn MSN Features. by Tourist on 04-04-2005 at 09:16 PM

But sometimes programs come with their own uninstaller file.. that's what was meant.

RE: MSN Messenger Still With Longhorn MSN Features. by Ezra on 04-04-2005 at 09:17 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Tourist
But sometimes programs come with their own uninstaller file.. that's what was meant.

Yeah the Add/Remove list is just a list that has shortcuts to all those uninstallers
EDIT: Sometimes the program doesn't register the uninstaller with Add/Remove, don't know why :P
RE: MSN Messenger Still With Longhorn MSN Features. by Choli on 04-04-2005 at 09:17 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Ezra
Add/Remove is a list of all the uninstallers
not always. The add/remove list only contains the uninstallers that were added there during the installation. There may be programs/plugins/whatever that their installers doesn't add the correspondin uninstaller to that list, so when you want to uninstall then you have to find and execute the uninstaller yourself.