Shoutbox

Backing up muggins/moods/winks - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: Backing up muggins/moods/winks (/showthread.php?tid=42243)

Backing up muggins/moods/winks by steVenB on 04-08-2005 at 07:03 PM

I posted this question in another thread but I decided to make a new thread for more exposure. Can muggins/moods/winks be backed up? Thanks(H)

RE: Backing up muggins/moods/winks by absorbation on 04-08-2005 at 07:09 PM

They would be on the computer somewhere when i was looking for my display pictures once sunshine gave an great answer to where they were. I can't remember it though :P

*Absorbation bangs his head to he remembers.

RE: Backing up muggins/moods/winks by RaceProUK on 04-08-2005 at 07:25 PM

Somewhere under Documents and Settings (XP users).

RE: Backing up muggins/moods/winks by Fredzz on 04-08-2005 at 07:45 PM

I dont know because Msn 7 final crashes on me, but should be together or close to CE and DPs.. C:\Documents and Settings\Mighty Freddy\Application Data\Microsoft\MSN Messenger

Replace Might Freddy with your own username.. and then you have a folder where you can search!

RE: Backing up muggins/moods/winks by Eljay on 04-08-2005 at 07:48 PM

C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Application Data\Microsoft\MSN Messenger\<passport id>\

all the stuff is in there, just back up the whole folder

<user> is your windows username

<passport id> can be found with this program

RE: Backing up muggins/moods/winks by Sunshine on 04-08-2005 at 08:15 PM

How about these:

C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Microsoft\MSN Messenger\<MSN ID Number>\DeluxeDisplayPictures
C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Microsoft\MSN Messenger\<MSN ID Number>\Winks2
C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Microsoft\MSN Messenger\<MSN ID Number>\Winks3

;)

RE: Backing up muggins/moods/winks by Fredzz on 04-08-2005 at 08:23 PM

well, i already posted it, and then  Lee Jeffery posts again adding something else, and now you post again! the next guy that posts probably is offering remote asistance to help in the back up of the folders! Everyone that can read, could get there with my post anyway!

crap :dodgy:

RE: Backing up muggins/moods/winks by benjyrama on 04-08-2005 at 08:37 PM

yeh, but u didnt say nething about msn ID numbers :P lol

dere pretty confusing if u dont know what they are.

RE: Backing up muggins/moods/winks by Sunshine on 04-08-2005 at 08:49 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Fredzz
well, i already posted it, and then  Lee Jeffery posts again adding something else, and now you post again! the next guy that posts probably is offering remote asistance to help in the back up of the folders! Everyone that can read, could get there with my post anyway!

crap :dodgy:
I didn't see you name the exact folders so my answer is justified :P So is Lee Jeffery's, he added the MSN ID finder thingie.

If you had posted all this info we wouldn't have replied (hint for next time you post):D

RE: Backing up muggins/moods/winks by absorbation on 04-08-2005 at 08:51 PM

I said sunshine is helpful with that ;)

RE: Backing up muggins/moods/winks by steVenB on 04-08-2005 at 10:21 PM

Thanks. I got them!

RE: Backing up muggins/moods/winks by Ezra on 04-08-2005 at 10:25 PM

Does this mean you can copy them to another user folder and that person will get them too?

RE: Backing up muggins/moods/winks by Dane on 04-08-2005 at 10:27 PM

Why doesnt someone make a program where you just enter your Passport Address, it generates the ID and backs up the files to your desktop in a folder "MSN Backups".  ;), I would, but I dont know how the Passport Address ID works, and im not great and manipulating files yet.

RE: Backing up muggins/moods/winks by M73A on 04-08-2005 at 10:41 PM

so you can send people your ddps and place them in that folder? would they have your DDPS?

RE: Backing up muggins/moods/winks by steVenB on 04-08-2005 at 10:59 PM

I just tried that with a friend and it appears that it did not work.

RE: Backing up muggins/moods/winks by M73A on 04-08-2005 at 11:21 PM

quote:
Originally posted by steVenB
I just tried that with a friend and it appears that it did not work.

hmmm, so it must install it somehow? would anyone find out how it does this, registry or something maybe? make an installer where people send in their DDPS and winks and they'll be free!:P ???
RE: Backing up muggins/moods/winks by anikillaytor on 04-09-2005 at 05:51 PM

I have W2000, and can't find the folder "messenger" in the path you mentioned...  any help, pls??

RE: Backing up muggins/moods/winks by Sunshine on 04-09-2005 at 05:54 PM

quote:
Originally posted by anikillaytor
I have W2000, and can't find the folder "messenger" in the path you mentioned...  any help, pls??
Enable show hidden folders/files ;)
RE: Backing up muggins/moods/winks by anikillaytor on 04-09-2005 at 05:58 PM

I had always enabled.

i think i found them in another path... the files have the extension .dat?

I found them in
C:\Documents and Settings\<USER>\Datos de programa\Microsoft\MSN Messenger\1786787163\CustomEmoticons

RE: Backing up muggins/moods/winks by Sunshine on 04-09-2005 at 06:02 PM

quote:
I had always enabled.

i think i found them in another path... the files have the extension .dat?

I found them in
C:\Documents and Settings\<USER>\Datos de programa\Microsoft\MSN Messenger\1786787163\CustomEmoticons
That's (translated) the path i was talking about. In your case they would be:

C:\Documents and Settings\<USER>\Datos de programa\Microsoft\MSN Messenger\1786787163\DeluxeDisplayPictures
C:\Documents and Settings\<USER>\Datos de programa\Microsoft\MSN Messenger\1786787163\Winks2
C:\Documents and Settings\<USER>\Datos de programa\Microsoft\MSN Messenger\1786787163\Winks3

(providing that number is your MSN ID Number)

The folder you mentioned is where custom emotes are stored ;)
RE: Backing up muggins/moods/winks by Plik on 04-09-2005 at 06:03 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Dane
Why doesnt someone make a program where you just enter your Passport Address, it generates the ID and backs up the files to your desktop in a folder "MSN Backups".  ;), I would, but I dont know how the Passport Address ID works, and im not great and manipulating files yet.
See msn6 user id thingy if you want to know how to work out the user ID thing.
RE: Backing up muggins/moods/winks by anikillaytor on 04-09-2005 at 06:07 PM

ooohhh ok...
the thing is that you said "aplication data", and I have a file "aplication data", and another file "datos de programa"...

thanks for your help!!

are there  AAAAAAALLL the emoticons I have?

RE: Backing up muggins/moods/winks by Sunshine on 04-09-2005 at 07:31 PM

quote:
ooohhh ok...
the thing is that you said "aplication data", and I have a file "aplication data", and another file "datos de programa"...

thanks for your help!!

are there  AAAAAAALLL the emoticons I have?
You're welcome :D

All the emoticons you added yourself are inthere yes.

RE: Backing up muggins/moods/winks by intoxicated on 04-09-2005 at 08:45 PM

do i have to back up anything else to keep all my old winks/emoticons?? i just reinstaled the system, but i don't get any of my icons even i copied the backup folder into that directory..... hmmmmm :(

RE: Backing up muggins/moods/winks by mad_onion on 04-09-2005 at 09:20 PM

oh thanks a lot to sunshine and everyone else this is exactly what i needed thanks :)

RE: Backing up muggins/moods/winks by Tasha on 04-09-2005 at 09:20 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Dane

There is a program, read: Leo's Reply To Stolen Emoticons

Except this does not backup winks and muggins and moods. :dodgy:

I don't think it is really possible to back them up and for them to work again. Because really you have to buy them, and they are digitally animated (I think they are digitally animated or something.. 8-) ).
RE: Backing up muggins/moods/winks by CookieRevised on 04-09-2005 at 09:33 PM

* CookieRevised looks at all the posts :rolleyes:

This is the same old story as with Custom emoticons and Display pictures...

MSN Messenger stores everything in it's useuall cache folders...
see: CookieRevised's reply to re-name display pics?

The files themselfs are renamed, just like CE's and DP's. But simply copying them to back them up isn't enough (just as with CE's and DP's). In every directory there is also a cache file. This file holds the hashes, names, locations, whatever for your CE's, DP's, winks, muggins, etc. And this file is encrypted and encoded.

This means you can not simply copy everything and paste it into someone elses directory and expect it to work. If you want to add them again, you must do it one by one (and first rename them to the proper file extension again) via MSN Messenger itself...

There are "backup" programs for CE's and DP's (see http://www.sherv.net/), but they do also exactly that, adding all the stuff back via MSN Messenger. I'm sure such backup programs will be made also for winks and stuff, just be patient and keep an eye on sites like mess.be, msnfanatic.com, sherv.net, etc...

PS: and as for those directories where everything is stored, if you search the forums you'll find tons of posts already mentioning it...

RE: Backing up muggins/moods/winks by hmaster on 04-10-2005 at 11:21 AM

backing up winks/moods by Monkey:

quote:
Originally posted by Monkey

Ok I think I got it.
First get WMBackupper.
Unzip it in a folder without other files in it.
Now open the .exe and fill in your e-mail.
Click on Get Winks.
Depending on how many winks you have/had this may take a few minutes. Here it took around 5 minutes I guess, dunno why it takes so long to decrypt the file. :^)
Anyway when finished it gives a messagebox and in the same folder as the .exe you'll now see a lot of .MCO files. ( and probably a cabarc.exe file which I used to create the cabs :$ )
Okay, if you don't know how to install MCO files you can use another simple program from me.
Unzip the .exe to something like C:\Program Files\Local MCO Installer.
Then Right-Click a mco file and choose open with.
Choose program and search for the program you've just unzipped.
Now if everything went fine it will install the .mco file again. :)
(you can only install one file at a time with that program)

I think that works :D

CE/DP/LvBacks/Backgrounds can be backed up with BeasManager also by Monkey