Shoutbox

Website Refresh Problem - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Website Refresh Problem (/showthread.php?tid=42289)

Website Refresh Problem by Dan0208 on 04-09-2005 at 10:03 AM

Hi there, I thought i would come here for help once again as you guys are very helpful.
I have this problem with my website that whenever I update it via ftp and the new parts are up it is not visible to most other people when they view it. They still see the old version which is in most cases fixed with an F5 press. The problem is that the majority of people that view my site do not know about this and therefore I either have to tell them or they just assume the site hasnt been updated.
Is there a way to prevent this so that their browser loads the newest version of the page instead of getting it from cache or whatever its doing??
Thanks for your help

RE: Website Refresh Problem by .Roy on 04-09-2005 at 10:16 AM

this also happens to me. It probebly has to do with cookies/cache.

And i thin kthe problem is only with firefox. But i am not sure.

Also it might be the .tk redirection. You should try to connect to the site with the real url. But this also happens to me too.

RE: Website Refresh Problem by absorbation on 04-09-2005 at 10:24 AM

It happended to me in firefox they keep the catche to make loading faster delete your catche. :P

RE: Website Refresh Problem by Dan0208 on 04-09-2005 at 10:36 AM

Yea thats what i thought also but most people who view my site are not firefox users as they are not regular computer users more like the 'check email use msn' people. so therefore the majority use IE.
I know you can combat the problem by clearing your cache but the problem is not on my computer its theirs. so i cant go and either explain to them or do it myself to everyone elses computers.
Is there a way to tell the browser as the page loads to load as new from the host rather than use cache??

RE: Website Refresh Problem by Ahmad on 04-09-2005 at 11:14 AM

Perhaps you could write a notice at the top of your page informing users to "refresh" the page to see the latest content.

RE: Website Refresh Problem by user27089 on 04-09-2005 at 11:14 AM

Its just a problem that you will have with any website if you change it... All of the files are stored in the cache and are there for quick viewing, but the problem is that people don't really clear the cache and only see the old site content...

All you can do is tell them if there is something new with your site and ask them to press ctrl+f5, you could possibly tell them in a news area also...

Thats all the advice to offer, other than if you write any necessary scripts so that if the site has changed then it refreshes it only once according to their IP until the next time they visit and the site has changed...

RE: Website Refresh Problem by Chris.1 on 04-09-2005 at 11:46 AM

I noticed you're using a .tk domain. I would create a break-out-of-frames script - forcing the browser to load the actual site from the server, not just the local cache.

This should fix your problem.

RE: Website Refresh Problem by Dan0208 on 04-09-2005 at 11:55 AM

Thanks for all your replies.
Yea Ahmad thats what i was thinking i would have to do if i didnt come to a better solution.
Traxor or Chris could you provide any more info on this? possibly a link? it sounds interesting and perhaps has a possibility of working.

RE: Website Refresh Problem by Fredzz on 04-09-2005 at 02:34 PM

Have u tried with Javascript?

Perhaps trying to insert a button with text " Please click here to see Updates"

Here's a simple code that you need to put inside the Body tags of your html :

<div align="center">
<SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript">

document.write('<form><input type=button value="Click here to see the updates" onClick="history.go()"></form>')
//  End -->
</script>
</div>

Without the *** ofcourse! Let us know if that worked!

RE: Website Refresh Problem by Dan0208 on 04-10-2005 at 02:09 AM

Thanks for your reply Fredzz I will give this a try and get back to you. This sounds like the best option at the moment.
Although just wondering is there like a OnLoad thing for javascript instead of using a button that way it can do that by itself??

RE: Website Refresh Problem by matty on 04-10-2005 at 03:22 AM

code:
<body OnLoad="">

Just note that the OnLoad function on the body tag will happen each time the page is loaded so if you are refreshing it in that code then they will never see anything.