Shoutbox

Msn messenger 7.0 (Not Responding) - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! Help (/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+----- Thread: Msn messenger 7.0 (Not Responding) (/showthread.php?tid=42324)

Msn messenger 7.0 (Not Responding) by y2j_1979 on 04-09-2005 at 06:07 PM

I just downloaded the newest version of Msn Messenger and everytime I log on it freezes and the program stops responding. I have tried repairing the download and I've removed it and reinstalled it but it's still not working. Can anyone help me get Msn Messenger working again?

RE: Msn messenger 7.0 (Not Responding) by King For A Day on 04-09-2005 at 06:55 PM

what operating system are you running on?

try closing all the other programs that are running and see if it opens then.

RE: Msn messenger 7.0 (Not Responding) by y2j_1979 on 04-09-2005 at 07:29 PM

I'm running on Windows XP with the service packs installed

RE: Msn messenger 7.0 (Not Responding) by Joa on 04-09-2005 at 07:33 PM

quote:
Originally posted by y2j_1979
I just downloaded the newest version of Msn Messenger and everytime I log on it freezes and the program stops responding. I have tried repairing the download and I've removed it and reinstalled it but it's still not working. Can anyone help me get Msn Messenger working again?

what type of error message do you get? if any.

so only when you try to sing in (log on) it freezes? or when you run msn?

the more info you give the better, it could be a firewall problem :-/ .. what kind of firewall do you have? did you give msn access to the internet?

RE: Msn messenger 7.0 (Not Responding) by y2j_1979 on 04-09-2005 at 07:41 PM

I don't get an error message. As soon as I log on to the messenger. It starts running and than locks up and stops responding. So I have to shut down the program and try to restart it. But it happens again as soon as I log in under my I.D. Also I don't have any other misc programs running while I try to log on except for the files needed to start the computer.
As for a firewall. I only use the one that comes with Windows XP. But I can search the msn website and everything else. It's just messenger that's screwed up

RE: Msn messenger 7.0 (Not Responding) by Joa on 04-09-2005 at 07:45 PM

quote:
As soon as I log on to the messenger. It starts running and than locks up and stops responding. So I have to shut down the program and try to restart it. But it happens again as soon as I log in under my I.D.

ok... are you running it with plus?
try running it without it (any settings in the contact list such as formated nick names etc. could be slowing down your computer causing msn to crash)

Edit:
quote:
Originally posted by Joa
Also I don't have any other misc programs running while I try to log on except for the files needed to start the computer.
sorry i didn't see that.

:-/ in the case that you are NOT running plus in the background, try this.

uninstall the msn, install the old version of msn again and upgrade it to the new one without uninstalling the old one first.

or have you done that?
RE: Msn messenger 7.0 (Not Responding) by y2j_1979 on 04-09-2005 at 07:45 PM

This is what I see when I go to view the details of the error report

szAppName : msnmsgr.exe     szAppVer : 7.0.777.0     szModName : hungapp     
szModVer : 0.0.0.0     offset : 00000000     

RE: Msn messenger 7.0 (Not Responding) by y2j_1979 on 04-09-2005 at 07:47 PM

I tried running it with plus before but figured that might be the problem so I removed Plus and 7.0 and just downloaded 7.0 again but it's still a problem even without Plus

Okay I've uninstalled the msn 7.0 but it doens't return me to the previous beta version that I had, so where will I find my old msn to install again

Well I installed Messenger 6.2 and than downloaded 7.0 and it's still the same. I log on see my screen and than it freezes up and I have to shut it down. I never had this problem before when I downloaded the beta version so I don't get why it's doing it now

RE: Msn messenger 7.0 (Not Responding) by Joa on 04-09-2005 at 07:51 PM

ok.. i edited my post above and in it i'm telling you:
uninstall this msn, install the previous version of msn that you had running before 7.0 again, and than upgrade it to the new one without uninstalling the old one first.

edit: also, try not to double post :wink: you can use the edit button at the bottom of your post to add any new information :)

EDIT:

also try going here

and here

it may be due to a connection problem :-/

RE: Msn messenger 7.0 (Not Responding) by simonlenihan on 04-09-2005 at 08:44 PM

I am also getting this same problem, it only started happening when i installed the release version of msn 7.0

RE: Msn messenger 7.0 (Not Responding) by Patchou on 04-09-2005 at 08:46 PM

Just to be on the safe side, can you uninstall Messenger Plus! and see if it solves the problem?

RE: Msn messenger 7.0 (Not Responding) by simonlenihan on 04-09-2005 at 09:32 PM

Tried that, still no solution

RE: Msn messenger 7.0 (Not Responding) by user35870 on 04-09-2005 at 09:33 PM

quote:
Originally posted by simonlenihan
Tried that, still no solution

Then we no its nothing to do with messenger plus!

Msn messenger is crashing on me to and losing connection to the .Net passport service.
RE: Msn messenger 7.0 (Not Responding) by Joa on 04-10-2005 at 07:08 AM

i think i found what could be a solution to your problem in the microsoft newsgoup, by Paul Jacquin. http://communities.microsoft.com/newsgroups/defau...p?icp=msn&slcid=US

"Hi everybody,

Like lot of people, I got some problems with the new "final" version of MSN
Messenger, which seems in fact to be less stable than its own prior Beta...
Anyway, I think I found a workaround.

I noticed than in most of the cases, it freezed just after a chat window
closing. So, what is it supposed to do at this moment? Archiving & saving
the chat! Now, here is my opinion: There is a problem with old archives and
the way it want to update them. Just try this and let me know the result:

- Close MSN Messenger 7 (if it haven't crashed yet, lol)
- Go in "My Documents" folder
- Rename "My Received Files" into anything else, "My Received Files (MSN6)"
for example
- Restart MSN Messenger 7

That's it. Since I did that (7 hours ago), I had no crashes anymore.

I hope it helps somebody while waiting for a real Final version... ;o)

Good luck and sorry if my english was kind of weird! "

here is the continued conversation on this topic, this solution seemed to have worked in the end. (you can either go to the link i posted above and click on msn.messenger. than find this topic yourself it is titled "MSN7s freezes - My solution." at it was posted on Apr 8 2005 4:27PM (the search option there seems not to work, so you have to find it "manually" i believe it is on the third page)

or just click on these links, they link to the conversation in order.

RE: Msn messenger 7.0 (Not Responding) by y2j_1979 on 04-10-2005 at 09:31 AM

That didn't work for me. Maybe I did something wrong so if it worked for anyone on hear let me know.

RE: Msn messenger 7.0 (Not Responding) by Alan18 on 04-10-2005 at 11:06 AM

Go here: http://www.majorgeeks.com/download3155.html and DL HijackThis.

Be sure it is in a permenent folder such as My Documents.

I will go over it.

I don't normally do this.

I can't promise the problem will show.

(Running HijackThis: Open it, press scan and save logfile.
Let it run, a box will pop-up, copy it all and e-mail it to me here:
Alanirv2@hotmail.com)

Alan

RE: Msn messenger 7.0 (Not Responding) by y2j_1979 on 04-11-2005 at 01:15 AM

Wow still no one has found out how to fix this. I guess we'll have to wait until monday and hope MSN get there @#$! together.

RE: Msn messenger 7.0 (Not Responding) by Alan18 on 04-11-2005 at 10:29 AM

Alright.

I went over the log.

Put a check mark next to the following.

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {FDD3B846-8D59-4ffb-8758-209B6AD74ACC} - (no file)

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {549B5CA7-4A86-11D7-A4DF-000874180BB3} - (no file)

O14 - IERESET.INF: START_PAGE_URL=http://ie.redirect.hp.com/svs/rdr?

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://ie.redirect.hp.com/svs/rdr?TYPE=3&tp=iehom...presario&pf=laptop
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Connection Wizard,ShellNext = http://ie.redirect.hp.com/svs/rdr?TYPE=3&tp=iehom...presario&pf=laptop

Put a check next to them and close all windows except HJT and press "fix checked"

Then e-mail me another log.
(Alanirv2@hotmail.com)

Alan

RE: Msn messenger 7.0 (Not Responding) by frad on 04-12-2005 at 01:57 PM

I just wanted to add that I too am having this problem.  At least it seems like it.

I find that I can log in jsut fine... but then after a while... messenger 7 will totally freeze.  Then when I am forced to kill the task, I will be unable to load up MSN again until I reboot my machine.

Also there is never and error message.. and It seems that when MSN 7 crashes it takes explorer.exe with it.

I never had this problem with any of the betas.  and I only have this problem when I am using MSN 7.  (msgplus is not installed either).  If I use another program like trillian, no crashes whatsoever.... I state that just to confirm that the problem does like somewhere in the release version of MSN 7.

RE: Msn messenger 7.0 (Not Responding) by ots3go on 04-12-2005 at 02:52 PM

not had much time to play....

ok.. if ya cancel sign in as soon it tried to, then go into prefs, and disable alot of stuff (show email alerts etc)

Then sign in... as soon as it signs in sign out straight away

then sign in again....

worked for me

RE: Msn messenger 7.0 (Not Responding) by bazzo9 on 04-12-2005 at 03:07 PM

I have also the same problem but a little else: When i try to login it works for some seconds and then.... he stops with logging in and nothing happens!!!!!!!!!1

RE: Msn messenger 7.0 (Not Responding) by ots3go on 04-12-2005 at 03:31 PM

to get around it you just have to be signing out when it crashs.... settings make no diff.. annoying but works, just try signing in and out a few times before staying on

you will see if freeze when signing out then pop back to the main screen if you have got it right it seems

EDIT: Just have to get lucky in getting it done :@

RE: Msn messenger 7.0 (Not Responding) by Alan18 on 04-12-2005 at 04:15 PM

Could all you guys send my a HijackThis log?

This can be downloaded here:
http://www.thespykiller.co.uk/files/hijackthis_sfx.exe

Be sure to put your username

My e-mail (again) is Alanirv2@hotmail.com

Alan

RE: Msn messenger 7.0 (Not Responding) by jegar on 04-12-2005 at 08:44 PM

I posted this in another part of the forum but it applies here.

When I tried to install 3.51 over 3.5.0.124 I had exactly the same problem.  Only on my system (Windows XP SP2, Messenger 7.0.077) it completely locked up windows.  The only way I could get Messenger to work with Plus 3.51  at all was to completely uninstall Plus 3.51 AND Messenger 7.0.0777 and reinstall them.  Seems to be working now but I lost all of my Plus! preferences.

RE: Msn messenger 7.0 (Not Responding) by frad on 04-13-2005 at 05:33 AM

It's a really strange problem... since I find that when MSN 7.0 is running the crashes are "contagious"....  firefox will freeze sometimes.... explorer.exe will freeze....  and it never happens when I don't have 7.0 running.... and once again.. i find the freezes so random.. i hav no idea what sets them off.

at least its comforting to know other people have similar freezing issues....  hopefully someone will figure it out soon.

RE: RE: Msn messenger 7.0 (Not Responding) by Takeshi-Jay on 04-13-2005 at 08:49 PM

quote:
I'm running on Windows XP with the service packs installed

I think it might be service pack 2. I've had problems with that and deleted it. Everything is fine.
RE: RE: RE: Msn messenger 7.0 (Not Responding) by frad on 04-13-2005 at 08:52 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Takeshi-Jay
I think it might be service pack 2. I've had problems with that and deleted it. Everything is fine.

I don't think so... I am also running the latest service pack and have been for some months now... with no problems whatsoever...

The problem lies in the latest build 777.
RE: Msn messenger 7.0 (Not Responding) by Joa on 04-13-2005 at 09:11 PM

i can only advise you to post your problem in the Microsoft Newsgroup maybe somebody there will be able to help you.

(make sure to click on msn.messenger when you enter the site i gave a link to above)

once you are there, check out the newsgroup too, in my previous posts in this thread i suggested some solutions i found there, maybe there will be new ones soon :-/

either way it will not hurt to ask for assistance there. (just make sure to be as detailed as you can be about your problem.)

RE: Msn messenger 7.0 (Not Responding) by ots3go on 04-14-2005 at 09:13 AM

Just spent a moment througly looking into this and IT IS firewall

Details of the connection that crashs 7.0777

Source: echo-v2.msgr.hotmail.com
IP: 64.4.12.201:7001
Protocol: UDP

Its an inbound attempt... so just allow it and you'll be fine

=)

RE: Msn messenger 7.0 (Not Responding) by blujewel_79 on 04-14-2005 at 09:50 PM

I have the same problem... only mine was working fine.. then i turned off the comp and when I turned it back on, MSN just kept crashing. The weird thing is that it doesn't work on MY profile. I have tried it on other profile on my comp (since i have XP) and it works fine.. i have no idea what it is.. i've reinstalled, I've been through so many versions of MSN 7.0... i don't get it anymore... if anyone knows anything PLEASE let me know too

thanks

RE: Msn messenger 7.0 (Not Responding) by y2j_1979 on 04-19-2005 at 06:48 AM

Wow it's taking msn long enough to figure out a fix for this problem. For those of you who don't know it seems to have something to do with having a router and firewall.

RE: RE: Msn messenger 7.0 (Not Responding) by frad on 04-19-2005 at 11:33 AM

quote:
Wow it's taking msn long enough to figure out a fix for this problem. For those of you who don't know it seems to have something to do with having a router and firewall.

Actually I found my freeze had something to do with Display Pictures... or at least that is what I was told....

Earlier in this thread someone gave a URL with instructions on how to reset everything for MSN.... do go to this "%appdata%\Microsoft" folder and then delete the entire MSN MEssenger Folder.... then restart MSN... and that fixed my problem.

I notcied that it only fixed my problem if i deleted the folder while msn was running and then restarted it.... its strange... but that worked for me...
RE: Msn messenger 7.0 (Not Responding) by Alan18 on 04-19-2005 at 10:56 PM

Chances are it's a problem on Plus! or messengers side regardless of what there saying.

Although, there could be something going around.

I have latest version of Plus! All windows up dates, spywareblaster, IE-Spyad (2 of which block messenger Plus! to be downloaded) and mine has never evere froze, even under a tremendus load.

You guys can still send me a log.
It may be an internal infection.

Here is the HijackThis download site:
http://www.thespykiller.co.uk/files/hijackthis_sfx.exe

Here is my e-mail

Alanirv2@hotmail.com

Alan