Shoutbox

Is this illigal? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+----- Thread: Is this illigal? (/showthread.php?tid=42351)

Is this illigal? by Supersonicdarky on 04-10-2005 at 01:01 AM

I found a site that i think uses the term "Messenger Plus" illigaly, since patchou owns it...

You can find it here

RE: Is this illigal? by Pyroteq on 04-10-2005 at 01:03 AM

Hmm interesting find youve got there, i dont know about legalities.. But im sure patchou knows his own rights :p Ill be interested to see what happens with this one..

RE: Is this illigal? by matty on 04-10-2005 at 01:13 AM

Patchou owns the copyright to "Patchou" and Messenger Plus! and MsgPlus. Messenger Plus is not owned by Patchou. Although it shouldn't be used its not illegal to do so.

RE: Is this illigal? by Supersonicdarky on 04-10-2005 at 01:15 AM

damn, smart person (can;r be sewed) :P

RE: Is this illigal? by Concord Dawn on 04-10-2005 at 01:27 AM

That's a completely different program.

RE: Is this illigal? by Supersonicdarky on 04-10-2005 at 01:30 AM

i know, but i thought THE NAME was illigal, not the program, duh :)

RE: Is this illigal? by Dane on 04-10-2005 at 01:35 AM

And its a sucky one, at that, not even in comparison to Patchous programming skills :refuck:

Edit: And btw, its "illegal", not "illigal"

RE: Is this illigal? by albert on 04-10-2005 at 02:18 AM

it is legal i afraid.. but i think it could be settled in court to change the prog 's name if some1 could proove it is misleading ppl in downloading the wrong app.. but I dun't belvie Patchou will even think about gong in court now.. loll

RE: Is this illigal? by Pyroteq on 04-10-2005 at 02:55 AM

the difference is a !... Right.. :dodgy:

RE: Is this illigal? by .Roy on 04-10-2005 at 04:47 AM

their name is
Messenger Plus
But patchous is
Messenger Plus!

Look at the "!"
Anyway i do think this is misleading and we should sue them :p
Or ask them kindly to take off the name

RE: Is this illigal? by Patchou on 04-10-2005 at 08:24 AM

actually, this is *not* "legal"... my trademark is for "Messenger Plus!" with an exclamation point, however, if I wanted tochallenge this software in a court, it wouldn't stand a chance as the exclamation point would make little difference at this point. However, as this software never created any serious confusion to my user, I don't see the point in starting to cause some trouble for nothing :p.

RE: Is this illigal? by Chestah on 04-10-2005 at 09:11 AM

you could at least send them an email or something Patchou saying they should change their name slightly, for example AIM Messenger Plus, or AIM plus. Because its pretty much the exact same name as yours.

Maybe say if its possible can you change your name to avoid unnessary confusion on the future :p

RE: Is this illigal? by vincerooney on 04-12-2005 at 03:43 PM

Sounds like they are working just in the law by not having the '!' very sneaky but thought out...

RE: Is this illigal? by XM4ST3RX on 04-14-2005 at 05:26 PM

Hi,

i agree... i dont really think they had intensions of taking part of your user base :P

Good decision Patchou :P

Kind Regards,
XM4ST3RX

RE: Is this illigal? by riahc4 on 04-14-2005 at 06:26 PM

quote:
actually, this is *not* "legal"... my trademark is for "Messenger Plus!" with an exclamation point, however, if I wanted tochallenge this software in a court, it wouldn't stand a chance as the exclamation point would make little difference at this point. However, as this software never created any serious confusion to my user, I don't see the point in starting to cause some trouble for nothing

Yes but it may confuse the user in the future. Imagine some n00b who heard about "Messenger Plus!", googles it and comes up with this fake "Messenger Plus" downloads it, switches to AIM, and another lost user....

You should at least email them kindly saying please add AIM or something to the name...