Shoutbox

Brain cells - amazing what you can do with them when you try - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: Forum & Website (/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+----- Thread: Brain cells - amazing what you can do with them when you try (/showthread.php?tid=42423)

Brain cells - amazing what you can do with them when you try by RaceProUK on 04-10-2005 at 07:09 PM

I myself am starting to get frustrated with the way this forum is heading. While flaming attacks about the sponsor have almost completely tailed off, in my opinion there's a new problem. Whether you call it lazyness, lack of thinking, or something else, I have seen the number of threads starting and continuing because of simple problems than can be solved by 5 minutes of exploration increase.

One instance I'm thinking of is a recent post by someone asking why message alerts weren't sounding when status was Busy, even though the option in Plus allows it to popup toasts. Now, I don't know about you, but last time I looked, you configured the message alert using Messenger's own Tools > Options, given it's part of the client itself.

Now, it wouldn't be too bad if my first reply was actually read properly, but it continued with recommendations to uninstall and reinstall Plus! I'm all for trying alternative solutions, but when the solution is quick, easy, and built into the client itself, what good is resinatlling Plus going to do?

Oh, and people, there is a Search button for a reason!
</rant>

RE: Brain cells - amazing what you can do with them when you try by Tasha on 04-10-2005 at 07:14 PM

I have noticed, at times, that someone can post something, and then another person can post the excact same thing, but half an hour or so later. Its alright if say, two or three people post at the excact same time about the same thing, coz we all don't know what each other are doing, and where we are pstoing. :p

Also, some posts have a serious lack of content, and questions that coulld be answered simply if enough information was given in the first place, take hours or even days to be sorted. And some answers lack content to. You should try troubleshooting most of the possible answers before saying 'Reinstall MSN and see if it helps'. I myself have said that on a few occassions, but most of the time read through the problem a few times and through the thread and then try to provide as much information as possible.

RE: Brain cells - amazing what you can do with them when you try by Millenium_edition on 04-10-2005 at 07:18 PM

here's a hint: postcount.
or wait, here's another one: reputation.

RE: Brain cells - amazing what you can do with them when you try by RaceProUK on 04-10-2005 at 07:26 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Tasha
I have noticed, at times, that someone can post something, and then another person can post the excact same thing, but half an hour or so later. Its alright if say, two or three people post at the excact same time about the same thing, coz we all don't know what each other are doing, and where we are pstoing. :p

Also, some posts have a serious lack of content, and questions that coulld be answered simply if enough information was given in the first place, take hours or even days to be sorted. And some answers lack content to. You should try troubleshooting most of the possible answers before saying 'Reinstall MSN and see if it helps'. I myself have said that on a few occassions, but most of the time read through the problem a few times and through the thread and then try to provide as much information as possible.
I concede to the first point, having witnessed it first-person a number of times. And I totally agree with your second point: the thread I was describing being a (possibly OTT) case in point.
quote:
Originally posted by Millenium_edition
I think you've hit the nail on the head there.
RE: Brain cells - amazing what you can do with them when you try by .Roy on 04-10-2005 at 07:26 PM

quote:
Originally posted by raceprouk
I myself am starting to get frustrated with the way this forum is heading. While flaming attacks about the sponsor have almost completely tailed off, in my opinion there's a new problem. Whether you call it lazyness, lack of thinking, or something else, I have seen the number of threads starting and continuing because of simple problems than can be solved by 5 minutes of exploration increase.

One instance I'm thinking of is a recent post by someone asking why message alerts weren't sounding when status was Busy, even though the option in Plus allows it to popup toasts. Now, I don't know about you, but last time I looked, you configured the message alert using Messenger's own Tools > Options, given it's part of the client itself.

Now, it wouldn't be too bad if my first reply was actually read properly, but it continued with recommendations to uninstall and reinstall Plus! I'm all for trying alternative solutions, but when the solution is quick, easy, and built into the client itself, what good is resinatlling Plus going to do?

Oh, and people, there is a Search button for a reason!
</rant>
Raceprouk. i am sorry, i misunderstood what the person was needing. I thought it had to do with the msg plus! sounds because he posted it in the messenger plus area of the forums
:( sorry :(

quote:
Originally posted by Millenium_edition
And for one thing i am just trying to help... so [Image: plzdie.gif]
RE: Brain cells - amazing what you can do with them when you try by RaceProUK on 04-10-2005 at 07:28 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Hobbes
Anubis. i am sorry, i misunderstood what the person was needing. I thought it had to do with the msg plus! sounds because he posted it in the messenger plus area of the forums
Anubis?
Anyway, I wasn't aiming my attack at anyone in particular (hence no names - hell, I didn't even link to the thread!), but more at the downhillness in general. And I can understand the confusion - you may notice I noticed the board it was on, and posted to that effect.
RE: Brain cells - amazing what you can do with them when you try by Jhrono on 04-10-2005 at 08:29 PM

well i know sometimes i'm kinda useless poster...but i'm no big spammer like some...well i can promise i'll try to help more...anyway most of the times i search about my problems :)

RE: Brain cells - amazing what you can do with them when you try by x2zen on 04-10-2005 at 08:33 PM

quote:
Its alright if say, two or three people post at the excact same time about the same thing, coz we all don't know what each other are doing, and where we are pstoing.
Yes its alright if they delete the post so only the first one is present.
I am getting very pissed over those stupid: "Edit: USERNAME was faster than me"
Delete the post, instead of that stupid edit
RE: Brain cells - amazing what you can do with them when you try by Plik on 04-10-2005 at 08:37 PM

quote:
I have noticed, at times, that someone can post something, and then another person can post the excact same thing, but half an hour or so later. Its alright if say, two or three people post at the excact same time about the same thing, coz we all don't know what each other are doing, and where we are pstoing.

You can always delete your post if that happens. Unless you post adds any information to the one before, if it has the same stuff just delete it.
Edit: A Madsen was faster then me :refuck:

But i have more to say :p
Another thing is, people seam to just post in threads saysint "try re-installing just for the hell of posting, ive seen a lot of pointless posts that either repeat previous posts or add nothing.
If you have nothing good to post, dont post :-/

Post count isnt a competition and posting to get your rep up usual results in a lower rep because your not helping at all and just spamming. So there really isnt much point in all these waste of posts.
RE: Brain cells - amazing what you can do with them when you try by Tasha on 04-10-2005 at 08:47 PM

quote:
Originally posted by johny
quote:
Originally posted by Madman
Post count isnt a competition

4 some people it is...

True.

Tbh, a lot of people think that having a higher post count will mean you have a higher reputation, but that is untrue. It is the qualtiy of posts, not the quantity that counts. Some of the best helpers have very few posts because they post discriptive and long helpful posts, they don't just answer the question a little bit, then in a new post answer it some more.

I think a lot of people here help out, as well as spam a bit, but that doesn't mean they don't post unhelpful posts. The same for the people who only help really. I for one have recently started posting helpful posts because I think its wrong for me to have such a high reputation without posting helpful posts.

I also use the search button some of the time to see if the there has already been a thread for something the same. There is no point in people posting things again for the sake of a postcount when it has already been answered in a thread already.

Just my two penny's... Doubt they mean much, but anyway. :happy:

quote:
Originally posted by toddler

OMG its rebel wannabe's

I have no idea what you are on about, and i'm nobody's wannabe :dodgy:

quote:

didn't mean u :P its before your time here, rebelsean always use to post the same answer as what had already been said

:p alrighty then
RE: Brain cells - amazing what you can do with them when you try by toddy on 04-10-2005 at 08:49 PM

tbh if u want a high rep start a new account, get a picture or two of an attractive lookin girl and be a spammer :rolleyes:

RE: Brain cells - amazing what you can do with them when you try by toddy on 04-10-2005 at 08:53 PM

quote:
quote:

tbh if u want a high rep start a new account, get a picture or two of an attractive lookin girl and be a spammer

I see an anti-joa activist *-) :S...

i don't i see someone tellin the truth and i'm not the only one who thinks so
RE: Brain cells - amazing what you can do with them when you try by ShawnZ on 04-10-2005 at 08:55 PM

quote:
quote:

4 some people it is...

quote:

johny
Posting Freak

700 Posts

RE: Brain cells - amazing what you can do with them when you try by x2zen on 04-10-2005 at 09:02 PM

quote:
Edit: A Madsen was faster then me
:@

:)
quote:
tbh if u want a high rep start a new account, get a picture or two of an attractive lookin girl and be a spammer :rolleyes:
Indeed

You can spam the forum to death, and then change to the better, and you will get a very high reputation just becaused you changed.
RE: Brain cells - amazing what you can do with them when you try by toddy on 04-10-2005 at 09:05 PM

quote:
Originally posted by A. Madsen
You can spam the forum to death, and then change to the better, and you will get a very high reputation just becaused you changed

wtf, u don't even need to change :rolleyes:
RE: RE: Brain cells - amazing what you can do with them when you try by Jhrono on 04-10-2005 at 09:05 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Shawnz
quote:
quote:

4 some people it is...

quote:

johny
Posting Freak

700 Posts

Straight Answer : No i don't do it for competition
Long Answer : No i don't do it for competition, i only made that avatar to show i'm a dedicated forum member and if you come regularly to the forums you KNOW i'm not a spammer..ask who you want!IF you consider me a spammer you must consider half of this forum a spammer...
quote:
quote:
quote:

tbh if u want a high rep start a new account, get a picture or two of an attractive lookin girl and be a spammer

i don't i see someone tellin the truth and i'm not the only one who thinks so
I don't think like that, and i know a lot more users that don't do either...
RE: Brain cells - amazing what you can do with them when you try by ShawnZ on 04-10-2005 at 09:06 PM

You dont even need to be a girl, as long as you act newb and you spam.

EDIT:

quote:
Straight Answer : No i don't do it for competition
Long Answer : No i don't do it for competition, i only made that avatar to show i'm a dedicated forum member and if you come regularly to the forums you KNOW i'm not a spammer..ask who you want!IF you consider me a spammer you must consider half of this forum a spammer...
joke kthx
RE: Brain cells - amazing what you can do with them when you try by Jhrono on 04-10-2005 at 09:09 PM

quote:
joke kthx

excuse me i don't get what you mean, i'm no 1337 so you'll have to translate 'kthx' to normal english please
RE: Brain cells - amazing what you can do with them when you try by toddy on 04-10-2005 at 09:11 PM

lets just leave it at.............

quote:

RE: Brain cells - amazing what you can do with them when you try by ShawnZ on 04-10-2005 at 09:37 PM

quote:
quote:
joke kthx

excuse me i don't get what you mean, i'm no 1337 so you'll have to translate 'kthx' to normal english please

no habla esleeto? :refuck:

RE: Brain cells - amazing what you can do with them when you try by Joa on 04-10-2005 at 09:51 PM

quote:

i agree. there are times when the person who was slower, has more information or information slightly different than the first.. at those times you should leave your post. but if it is the same content as the post above, and you notice it, than you should delete it.

quote:
i agree, but than again, we can't really do anything about those who are asking questions... in such cases instead of asking "what do you mean" post some suggestions. ask specific questions as closely related to the problem stated as possible. because this way you ARE helping. but by posting something like "i don't know what you mean" you are not.

and also.. honestly if you don't know an answer don't post stuff which makes no sense like "reinstall the system" :-/ when there could be other alternatives. LOL.. seriously, if you want to help out, try searching google :-/ i mean if you are not familiar with something and REALLY want to help than learn about the problem before you make up random solutions for it.

quote:
quote:

:-/ if toddy likes hating on me. there's nothing really i can do about that, it's his choice.

it's not like i posted a thread saying PLEASE GIVE ME A +1, or i ASKED ANYBODY to give me a +1. honestly, if you gave me a +1 based on the way i look, or for any other illegitimate reason, please remove it. i keep on repeating that. it's not like i'm gonna judge you for it. in the end, votes that are given to me for reasons i stated above, actually hurt me. i want to be the best at everything i do. i want each reputation vote that i get to represent something good i did. so when i look at it, i can be proud. and if i'm judged on appearance, and if somebody can't see who i am beyond the physical... than i feel like trash, like i'm worthless, and there is nothing to me. i'm getting really REALLY depressed over the fact that i am blamed for my reputation. i could NOT CARE LESS about my post count, OR my rep. yeah i'd care if i got a negative... but i think that it's a good thing, because i would try to improve.

other than that, the only place i spammed in was T&T (other than two mistakes i made in the past outside of T&T which i already mentioned before)

i agree that i made useless posts and threads in T&T, i am not sure, but maybe some of you noticed that i am staying away from trashing and testing now. at least i am trying not to post as much as i was.
RE: Brain cells - amazing what you can do with them when you try by toddy on 04-10-2005 at 09:59 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Joa
if toddy likes hating on me. there's nothing really i can do about that, it's his choice.

i don't hate u, i wasn't sure if i should even post it but its true. you have one of the hishest reps here, and yet you're no where near one of the best helpers :/

tbh wdz should just remove rep system would stop alot of this
RE: Brain cells - amazing what you can do with them when you try by ShawnZ on 04-10-2005 at 10:07 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Joa
quote:

i agree. there are times when the person who was slower, has more information or information slightly different than the first.. at those times you should leave your post. but if it is the same content as the post above, and you notice it, than you should delete it.

quote:
i agree, but than again, we can't really do anything about those who are asking questions... in such cases instead of asking "what do you mean" post some suggestions. ask specific questions as closely related to the problem stated as possible. because this way you ARE helping. but by posting something like "i don't know what you mean" you are not.

and also.. honestly if you don't know an answer don't post stuff which makes no sense like "reinstall the system" :-/ when there could be other alternatives. LOL.. seriously, if you want to help out, try searching google :-/ i mean if you are not familiar with something and REALLY want to help than learn about the problem before you make up random solutions for it.

:-/ if toddy likes hating on me. there's nothing really i can do about that, it's his choice.

it's not like i posted a thread saying PLEASE GIVE ME A +1, or i ASKED ANYBODY to give me a +1. honestly, if you gave me a +1 based on the way i look, or for any other illegitimate reason, please remove it. i keep on repeating that. it's not like i'm gonna judge you for it. in the end, votes that are given to me for reasons i stated above, actually hurt me. i want to be the best at everything i do. i want each reputation vote that i get to represent something good i did. so when i look at it, i can be proud. and if i'm judged on appearance, and if somebody can't see who i am beyond the physical... than i feel like trash, like i'm worthless, and there is nothing to me. i'm getting really REALLY depressed over the fact that i am blamed for my reputation. i could NOT CARE LESS about my post count, OR my rep. yeah i'd care if i got a negative... but i think that it's a good thing, because i would try to improve.

other than that, the only place i spammed in was T&T (other than two mistakes i made in the past outside of T&T which i already mentioned before)

i agree that i made useless posts and threads in T&T, i am not sure, but maybe some of you noticed that i am staying away from trashing and testing now. at least i am trying not to post as much as i was.

Its not the fact that we hate you, infact, your quite fun to have around!

the point is that people are giving thousands of reps to people because they are 'nice.' Reps should really be reserved for when you help the community. I *did* vote for joa, and i think ill leave it there because joa is very friendly and has helped alot. But seriously, not trying to be mean but, Joa and lp15 and other new members are getting tonnes upon tonnes of reps for the fact that they're 'nice'. Actually, Joa and lp15 don't make that many spammy posts and are really helping lately, but i really think people should stop giving all these reps to new members.

In case ive been under a rock for a while, 51 reps in 2 months means your either REALLY helpful or because of all the people that gave you useless reps.

Just, next time a new member comes to the board, keep the server load down and vote when they help people.

(Whoops, rant :P -- ignore anything you found offencive :cheesy:)
RE: Brain cells - amazing what you can do with them when you try by Joa on 04-10-2005 at 10:07 PM

quote:

i pm'd him to remove my post count from view. but now i will ask him to remove all of my reputation votes.

it is driving me insane, and making me ashamed. when i feel i do not deserve something that i receive.
RE: Brain cells - amazing what you can do with them when you try by ShawnZ on 04-10-2005 at 10:09 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Joa
quote:

i pm'd him to remove my post count from view. but now i will ask him to remove all of my reputation votes.

it is driving me insane, and making me ashamed. when i feel i do not deserve something that i receive.

Well, as i said above, youve really gotten to be a good member here and i think you do deserve your reps.

EDIT: :dodgy: okay, chronos should be deleted :P
quote:
omg what a high rep O_o..

RE: Brain cells - amazing what you can do with them when you try by Tasha on 04-10-2005 at 10:14 PM

quote:

Agreed. (y)

tbh, I have a high rep. I admit it. But the fact is, I never asked for it, I just got it. I joined these forums never expecting to get a rep at all, let alone one this high.

Yes, I do spam, but recently I have started cleaning up my act and am going to help out more, and the best I can.

And I knew Joa had Pm'ed WDZ asking for her rep to be hidden, coz she also asked about mine too.

RE: Brain cells - amazing what you can do with them when you try by Jhrono on 04-10-2005 at 10:19 PM

I don't think it should be removed but well used...there's no way to make it be well used...per example this is a time where the rep system aplies...Joa with her posts has shown to be pretty mature!That's why i updated her rep...it works that way...

RE: Brain cells - amazing what you can do with them when you try by ShawnZ on 04-10-2005 at 10:22 PM

Why doesnt wdz just clear the rep system and we can start over? and this time not make useless comments :dodgy:

RE: Brain cells - amazing what you can do with them when you try by Fraisie on 04-10-2005 at 10:24 PM

This whole thread is pointless.

RE: Brain cells - amazing what you can do with them when you try by Jhrono on 04-10-2005 at 10:24 PM

I have an idea :

Every year, the forum would be shut for one day, in which the mods would moderate the reputation points, deleting the useless...I know this would take a lot of effort, but it would be a good idea:)