Shoutbox

"Allow me to connect directly to my contacts when sending messages" - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: "Allow me to connect directly to my contacts when sending messages" (/showthread.php?tid=42437)

"Allow me to connect directly to my contacts when sending messages" by alegator on 04-10-2005 at 10:29 PM

This option shows in MSN v7.0.0777 by following TOOLS/OPTIONS/SECURITY TAB. I currently have this option enabled but ut reveals my IP to the contact, so isn't it safer to have it disabled? If so, will it make communication with the contacts slower?

RE: "Allow me to connect directly to my contacts when sending messages" by andrey on 04-10-2005 at 10:31 PM

Yes, it's safer, no it probably won't make the conversation slower.

RE: "Allow me to connect directly to my contacts when sending messages" by alegator on 04-10-2005 at 10:39 PM

So what is the advantage of having a direct connection?

RE: "Allow me to connect directly to my contacts when sending messages" by Jhrono on 04-10-2005 at 10:46 PM

alegator don't make another thread about something that has already been discussed, at your own thread ...

quote:
Originally posted by Forum Rules

# Subjects: The subject line of a thread should be descriptive, not something like "help plz." If a certain subject has already been discussed, making a new thread about it is discouraged. Please browse or search the forums before posting a thread.

RE: "Allow me to connect directly to my contacts when sending messages" by alegator on 04-10-2005 at 10:59 PM

I'm just continuing the topic here as I think it's more relevant to this forum...sorry!

RE: "Allow me to connect directly to my contacts when sending messages" by RaceProUK on 04-10-2005 at 11:41 PM

quote:
Originally posted by alegator
it reveals my IP to the contact
Which, by the way, is known by every server of every website you go to. Believe me when I say, just so long as you have a decent firewall and a good up to date AV, it doesn't matter who knows your IP address.

And the connect directly option is an attempt to improve reliability by reducing server load and sending messages directly to the contact.