Shoutbox

A call to all P2P users - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: General Chit Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+----- Thread: A call to all P2P users (/showthread.php?tid=42460)

A call to all P2P users by uberdosis on 04-11-2005 at 03:29 AM

quote:
As of late the MPAA's and RIAA's of the world are claiming that we are denying them their justly earned money and are trying to find ways to put an end to this supposed loss through litigation. It would seem that their scare tactics have been fruitful as they keep getting settlements out of court and probably generate even more profit from these activities.

The aim of their campaign, of course, is not to target and eradicate file sharing as much as it is an attempt to control the market and dictate where and on what our hard earned money is spent. The wealthiest, nowadays, decide what we listen to and watch using staggering public relations campaigns; most releases are "format" productions where talent, passion and creativity come after profits and greed. Most of us feel that they should look into wider availability and more affordable pricing instead of claiming higher moral ground as an excuse to prop up an outdated and failing business model.

Ironically, dramatic theaters, opera houses and so forth are desperately trying to find an audience among the "common" people, as their traditionally highbrow image is not allowing them to be competitive. However, the production companies are working towards a dangerous inaccessibility for regular people. It is natural that we want to be able to watch the movies and listen to the music; it has always been and always will be. Hence, we turn to file sharing, and/or borrow CD's from our friends and so forth.

Availability and affordable prices

How many have bought a CD or watched a movie that turned out to be less than satisfactory? How many have felt cheated after a night out at the movies, having gone there after seeing trailers, commercials, and posters for another big box office release that turned out to be one of those "let's save the movie company a few bucks by fooling people into watching this dud during the first weekend" flicks? How many get sick to their stomachs while hearing about revenue losses after viewing an episode of "Cribs" on MTV? The production companies have the audacity to say that we are using people's creativity and talent, without paying for it. Well, guess what? Most P2P users actually do buy the products they like!

We continue to see fantasy figures about the kind of revenues the production companies would have had, if only their products were not obtainable online. Of course, it is complete and utter nonsense. They seem to be oblivious to the highly human trait they themselves possess: The Experience of Ownership. Everybody wants to own things. A pirated copy can never live up to the experience of a movie theatre or replace the sense of pride that comes from having a collector’s edition sitting on your bookshelf. Even those who the entertainment industry would paint as criminals are consumers too.

To prove this, we call out to all that have shared a file, downloaded something online or think that prices are outrageous; Let us send a message to the entertainment industry leadership.

The last week in April 2005 - 24th up until and including 30th - show them how much money we are spending on their products by denying them our hard earned income. Do not go to the movies; do not buy any entertainment products during that week.

This is not to be confused as saying, "go pirate everything you can find as the production companies are common robbers." Instead, this is a way to show that we are indeed supporting them already, so stop fighting your customers!

Show them we mean business!
Spread the word everywhere you can think of.

More Here.
RE: A call to all P2P users by Patchou on 04-11-2005 at 05:03 AM

lol, sorry but: this is the biggest load of crap I've read in a long time.

RE: A call to all P2P users by Caboose on 04-11-2005 at 05:12 AM

Although, I kind of agree with it. P2P networks made me buy things I normally wouldn't buy because I downloaded it & sampled it, then I bought it (ex. A Perfect Circle's "eMOTIVe")

Although, I'm not gonna do the one week crap o.O

RE: A call to all P2P users by rav0 on 04-11-2005 at 06:20 AM

wtf??? crap??? this is our chance to take a stand!

quote:
Originally posted by My Display Name
rav0 » CLICK | MsgPlus! 3.5 www.freemsgplus.tk | Save P2P Filesharing www.P2PUnite.net

RE: A call to all P2P users by Pyroteq on 04-11-2005 at 07:13 AM

Bah.. I agree with this, thier just democratic control freaks..
Edit: Having read the whole thing properly.. It is a bit extreme

I Download somthing when i like one song from an album, or one scene in a movie, or when ive been told about it and want to see if its any good..
Ill buy somthing that i like or am really into.. Perfect examples i have a large un burnt cd collection (in excess of 50) And a larger burnt one (excess of 150 cds, mind you most of them suck)

RE: A call to all P2P users by user27089 on 04-11-2005 at 07:46 AM

This is stupid, I agree with Patchou here... CRAP.

RE: A call to all P2P users by Chestah on 04-11-2005 at 08:39 AM

You have to see their point, they are making all these products and people who download them illegally deprive them of money they deserve from you watching it. If you don't think its worth buying then you don't buy it - basic principles of an economy . :P

Do you think if Patchou had copyrighted Patate Spears and people starting illegally downloading it from the internet without Patchou getting his hard-earned cash he'd be happy!

of course not :P ;)

RE: A call to all P2P users by Patchou on 04-11-2005 at 05:05 PM

I'm sorry guys but you got toopen your eyes for a minute.When you're in a super market, you don't open a several boxes of cereals, eat a little in each of them, go back home and say "I'll buy a box the day I'm satisified with one of them". Downloading a song you didn't pay for is STEALING, nothing more, nothing less. If buying a $15 CD is to expensive for your wallet, then do like everyone else did for years and listen to the radio.

RE: A call to all P2P users by aNILEator on 04-11-2005 at 05:21 PM

Well if it wasn't for downloading i wouldn't have heard of half the bands i now love.

And i certainly would not have supported them by seeing them live :)

So i think that i do good, also i am in the process of putting together an unsigned band bit-torrent listing site where the band (And the band only!) will be able to submit their songs/demos for others to download and listen to, i think this is a great idea personally :D

I don't normally buy cds anyway but i do think this campaign is going to be a little crap :P

RE: A call to all P2P users by DJeX on 04-11-2005 at 08:04 PM

I say it's out there why not use it? Can't let it go to waste. Since theres so much other stuff on the net that is crap and takes up good space. Why not use the good stuff insted of letting it pile with the crap and waste space. :P

RE: RE: A call to all P2P users by Patchou on 04-12-2005 at 12:11 AM

quote:
Originally posted by DJeX
I say it's out there why not use it? Can't let it go to waste. Since theres so much other stuff on the net that is crap and takes up good space. Why not use the good stuff insted of letting it pile with the crap and waste space. :P

That's the exact same thing people have always said about fur, ivory, and many other things that have a distasteful background: "the animal is already dead! it will make no difference if I buy his skin for my new coat".
RE: A call to all P2P users by Wabz on 04-12-2005 at 12:20 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
I'm sorry guys but you got toopen your eyes for a minute.When you're in a super market, you don't open a several boxes of cereals, eat a little in each of them, go back home and say "I'll buy a box the day I'm satisified with one of them". Downloading a song you didn't pay for is STEALING, nothing more, nothing less. If buying a $15 CD is to expensive for your wallet, then do like everyone else did for years and listen to the radio.

Now I agree with this to the point of theres a brand new cerial no ones tried its different.  Theres no one to recommend it too you, the adverts will perhaps advise you to buy it.  But in all honesty you wont buy something you might not like till you tried it.

I'd say 50% of the albums I own come of me downloading a song or two of that artist.  (I'm into hip hop which isn't that mainstream in the UK) take DMX I'd be suprised if anyone could name more than 4 songs by him. 

I agree with both sides I don't like the blantenly robbery of  music to me thats just as bad as walking into HMV and walking out with witha Wad of CDs without paying

However I also know it takes more than one song to make me buy an album.  Both sides make a good argument, but to be honest you have to pay for what you want and its always a minefield nowadays

RE: A call to all P2P users by rav0 on 04-12-2005 at 12:45 AM

This isn't about free music, its about free speech and file sharing of all types.

For example, there are hundreds of results of Messenger Plus! archived and current builds on Gnutella (the network used by Kazaa, LimeWire, BearShare and more).

Independent artists publish their music using P2P software. BearShare even has a public publishing facility to do just that.

When you have a corrupted file or just one missing DLL that is stopping you from using that oh-so-amazing application, chances are you can find that file on a P2P network.

Anyway, that's my 2c rave.

:S Geez, I sound like a radio advertisment.

Update
@Patchou: Where do you find $15 CDs? Most things I see are twice that!

RE: A call to all P2P users by Weyzza on 04-12-2005 at 04:09 AM

quote:
(Y)
I have to admit that is a great analogy.

So yeah, if you wanna "test" something, listen the song in the radio, or you can find the songs you wanna "test" at amazon.com or barnesandnoble.com and click on the samples.
Easy...

RE: A call to all P2P users by uberdosis on 04-12-2005 at 05:16 AM

What i listen to i can't/ it's hard to get here where i live. I could go into more details, but not at the moment anyways.

RE: A call to all P2P users by Chestah on 04-12-2005 at 05:24 AM

quote:
That's the exact same thing people have always said about fur, ivory, and many other things that have a distasteful background: "the animal is already dead! it will make no difference if I buy his skin for my new coat".

lol, but why was it killed? For the new coat :S

quote:
Originally posted by rav0
This isn't about free music, its about free speech and file sharing of all types.

The problem with this is that their "Speech"/vocals is their job, thats how they make money. Its their interlectual property and they deserve to be paid royalties for anyone that uses their creativity. If you like it enough to pay for it then buy it, if you don't like it then don't.

I agree with patchou, no matter what you say its always going to be illegal, and immoral cause you are depriving them of hard-earned money. Like the MPAA said "The illegal downloading ... robs thousands of honest, hard-working people of their livelihood, and stifles creativity." :(

RE: RE: A call to all P2P users by rav0 on 04-12-2005 at 05:34 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Chestah
quote:
Originally posted by rav0

The problem with this is that their "Speech"/vocals is their job, thats how they make money. Its their interlectual property and they deserve to be paid royalties for anyone that uses their creativity. If you like it enough to pay for it then buy it, if you don't like it then don't.

I agree with patchou, no matter what you say its always going to be illegal, and immoral cause you are depriving them of hard-earned money. Like the MPAA said "The illegal downloading ... robs thousands of honest, hard-working people of their livelihood, and stifles creativity." :(

Read my post, I said P2P isn't all about free music, if people use it for that, then they should know that it's stealing. I think the MPAA and RIAA shouldn't use that as an excuse to shut down P2P, because that's all it is; an excuse. They feel threatened, so they try to stifle new technology and innovation. I think that VCRs and DVRs are more dangerous to their industry, but they would rather attack P2P than taht because it can be done more covertly.
RE: A call to all P2P users by Odium696 on 04-12-2005 at 09:18 PM

Yo know,
For me it makes no big difference.

When the P2P didn't existed, I used to search around for the MP3 or I just copied the CD from a friend!

Now with the P2P is easy to do what I used to do but one a way now it makes me buy the CD's, because now I know many more great artist!

Now I buy more CD's.

RE: A call to all P2P users by M73A on 04-12-2005 at 09:31 PM

p2p.....can jus type SONG NAME MPŁ FREE DOWNLOAD in google and it normally comes up :dodgy:!!!!!!!:dodgy:!!!!!!!:dodgy:!!!!!!!:dodgy:!!!!!!!

or there are lots of sites with databases of links to mp3's on sites.... :dodgy:!!!!!!!aswell