Shoutbox

Windows XP Stored Password finder - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Windows XP Stored Password finder (/showthread.php?tid=42499)

Windows XP Stored Password finder by Pr0xY on 04-11-2005 at 03:05 PM

I need to find the access password for my school's wireless internet on one of the school's laptops.  I was wondering if any of you had any suggestions on which program worked well with finding that password that is stored on the laptop. 

Thanks
-Pr0xY

RE: Windows XP Stored Password finder by Pyroteq on 04-11-2005 at 03:12 PM

Theres an option itself in XP With your stored passwords. Give me a minute to find it. If its a broswer password and you use Firefox you can go to Tools>Options>Privacy>Passwords and if its an account password you can go Control Panel>Users>Administrator>Stored Passwords.

Edit: Wait no theres not, not unless you give me more information about what exactly this password is.

RE: Windows XP Stored Password finder by Pr0xY on 04-11-2005 at 03:17 PM

The Control Panel is locked, along with the registry. 

RE: Windows XP Stored Password finder by Pyroteq on 04-11-2005 at 03:18 PM

What do you need this for anyway, Are you trying to hack your school system.. Shouldnt the school admin just give you the password if your using it for somthing decent

Other than that i dont know of any local computer sniffing password programs, have you googled yet?

RE: Windows XP Stored Password finder by mwe99 on 04-11-2005 at 03:20 PM

This is from Microsoft

quote:
Stored User Names and Passwords is a mechanism that dynamically and manually creates credential sets (a user name and password) for resources. This functionality is available from the graphical user interface (GUI) and from the command line. The types of credentials that you can manage with Stored User Names and Passwords are: • User names and passwords
• X.509 certificates (smart cards)
• Passports
Note: Windows XP Home Edition stores only Remote Access Services/Virtual Private Networking and Passport credentials. You must be logged on as Local Administrator to see the list of "Stored User Names and Passwords."

The most common scenarios for using Stored User Names and Passwords is when a user attempts to access one of the following: • Resources in an untrusted domain
• Resources with alternative credentials
• A Web site with a password
• A Web site with a certificate
To access these credentials in Control Panel: • Windows XP Home Edition or Windows XP Professional in a workgroup:

In the User Accounts tool, select the logged-on user account.
• Windows XP Professional in a domain:

In the User Accounts tool, on the Advanced tab, click Manage Passwords.
In Stored User Names and Passwords, keys are created dynamically and manually.

DYNAMIC keys are created in the following way: 1. A user attempts to connect to \\server\share.
2. The user's logon credentials are attempted. If these do not gain access, Stored User Names and Passwords prompts.
3. Credentials are put in Stored User Names and Passwords after it successfully connects, or if Cancel is clicked on a returned error message.
The following options are available for the Stored User Names and Passwords prompt: • Username
• Password
• Remember my password
MANUAL Keys are created in the following way: 1. Start the Stored User Names and Passwords tool in Control Panel.
2. Click New.
3. Type the appropriate information in the boxes: • Server: Use the hostname, FQDN, wildcards, and so forth.
• User Name: Domain\Username; Machine\Username; UPN.
• Password: Type the password.
• Use this user name and password for: • The current logon session only: Lives for this session only; gone at logoff.
• This user account on this computer: Lives on this machine; persists between logoffs/reboots.
• This user account on any computer: Same as the previous AND gets written the roaming file.

Stored User Names and Passwords connection objects (keys) can be created manually to various entities: • specific resource: server.domain.forest.com
• less specific set of resources: *.domain.forest.com (all resources in domain.forest.com)
• very general set of resources: *.forest.com (all resources in forest.com)
If there are multiple credentials that can apply to a target resource, Stored User Names and Passwords in Windows XP SP1 and later uses the most specific credential. For example, a user attempts to connect to \\server, which is server.domain.forest.com. The user may have credentials for the server, *.domain.forest.com, and *.forest.com. In this scenario, the most specific credential applicable is for the server itself, so that is the one used.

For additional information Stored User Names and Passwords, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

Unless you have access to control panel you'd probably have to hack for the password and that could get you into a LOT of trouble..
RE: Windows XP Stored Password finder by Pyroteq on 04-11-2005 at 03:22 PM

MWE Thats what i said about the control panel and user passwords, just in a really complicated way.

Proxy said the control panel is locked
Thats why hes looking for a program i suppose

RE: Windows XP Stored Password finder by Anubis on 04-11-2005 at 03:24 PM

Why do you need to know the password? As soon as you're in range the computer will be able to log you onto their network, without needing to enter a password, if it is stored.

RE: Windows XP Stored Password finder by mwe99 on 04-11-2005 at 03:25 PM

Yeah i know i was explaining... didn't mean to copy you

Well even if you did find a program, you'd still have to get past firewalls and other security measures... especially if they only allow access to certain IP addresses

RE: Windows XP Stored Password finder by Pyroteq on 04-11-2005 at 03:30 PM

Whos laptop is it? If its the schools they shouldnt have a problem logging it onto the network for you.. And if its yours well i dont know your school policy but at my school all we have to do is ask..Maybe you should do that before you do anything Illegal

RE: Windows XP Stored Password finder by tomfletcherman on 04-11-2005 at 03:35 PM

I have  a program, it's called sam inside. The issue with this is you need to be admin to hav access to sam files, but if you're not boot up linux from a CD and copy the sam files from their directory and then run them through this program. It tries guessing and eventually brute forces. http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=U&start=1&q=http:/...nside.shtml&e=9901

RE: Windows XP Stored Password finder by user13774 on 04-11-2005 at 04:08 PM

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/network_password_recovery.html

This is probably where you're looking for, but this tool also requires Administrator privileges.

RE: Windows XP Stored Password finder by Pr0xY on 04-11-2005 at 06:32 PM

Alight I"ll explain the situation alittle more.  It is my laptop. I want to be able to access the school's wireless internet with my wireless internet card that is hooked up to my computer.  I need the password for the settings on my computer. 

RE: Windows XP Stored Password finder by user13774 on 04-12-2005 at 01:17 PM

Yes, I guess the program I posted in my last post does exactly that.. but it needs admin privileges

RE: Windows XP Stored Password finder by Wabz on 04-12-2005 at 01:24 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Pr0xY
Alight I"ll explain the situation alittle more.  It is my laptop. I want to be able to access the school's wireless internet with my wireless internet card that is hooked up to my computer.  I need the password for the settings on my computer.

Just setting your network card to use DHCP should be enough to provide you with internet access.  :)

RE: RE: Windows XP Stored Password finder by ZrednaZ on 04-12-2005 at 02:25 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Pr0xY

So explain to your school's network admin that you need to get your personal laptop on the school's Internet to do a 'school related project' or something.. maybe he'll give ya the password ;) (at least they would at my school.. no wait.. their wireless network isn't even encrypted :P)
RE: Windows XP Stored Password finder by Pr0xY on 04-14-2005 at 06:21 PM

This is where I need a program to get the password.  This is a screenshot from a teachers computer, showing the Wireless Network connection settings.  As you can see, that is the password I need... I"ve been searching google, and other anonymous websites. 

[Image: attachment.php?pid=439894]

RE: Windows XP Stored Password finder by Anubis on 04-14-2005 at 06:45 PM

Dude, I hate to be the one to spoil your fun. But schools really do take offence to unauthorised access of their wireless network. Are you sure you are allowed to have access, or have the approval of a member of the IT staff?

quote:
Originally posted by Wabz
Just setting your network card to use DHCP should be enough to provide you with internet access
The network is encrypted...:mipdodgy:
RE: Windows XP Stored Password finder by user13774 on 04-14-2005 at 07:59 PM

Anubis is right. If you want to use your schools network, why not ask for it?

If you still want to try to get it, try this program. It might be able to reveal the password at the asterisks. click here

RE: Windows XP Stored Password finder by Pr0xY on 04-14-2005 at 09:29 PM

Our School Admin is never there, he only gets called in when something needs to be fixed, and since he's a really good admin, nothing has needed to be fixed for over a month... :dodgy:

RE: Windows XP Stored Password finder by matty on 04-14-2005 at 09:50 PM

There isn't a way of getting the encrypted network password unless the key is provided to you by the router itself (or knowing the encrypted password itself). And since that is the most insecure way of doing things it is needed to be entered manually.

RE: Windows XP Stored Password finder by segosa on 04-14-2005 at 10:06 PM

Is it WEP? If so, you can boot from knoppix-std and use AirSnort which gathers interesting encrypted packets from the network (called weak keys) and if it has enough it can obtain the password.

RE: Windows XP Stored Password finder by Pr0xY on 04-15-2005 at 03:36 AM

Yes it is WEP.  I'll try that out on monday and let you know how it goes, thanks Segosa :)

RE: Windows XP Stored Password finder by segosa on 04-15-2005 at 05:47 AM

Note that it needs a LOT of packets to work out the password. Hopefully your school network is full of people downloading and crap, otherwise you're gonna be there for a long time. :P