Shoutbox

For All Those Bittorrent Users:I have a question. - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: For All Those Bittorrent Users:I have a question. (/showthread.php?tid=42553)

For All Those Bittorrent Users:I have a question. by prashker on 04-11-2005 at 11:37 PM

Hi,

I use bittornado 0.3.10. I have port forwarded the ports my bittorrnado uses. I Have done everything to make it faster. And by doing those stuff it made it faster. But ever before I did those stuff I had the same "problem". The thing is im downloading Elektra DVD-R right now at 40Kb/s Download Rate and 30 Kb/s Upload Rate. I conect with the internet with a wireless B card from linksys that connects to my dads router in the basement(distance from each other: around 8 m.). Our link speed is 11MBps. We have 3 computers using wireless cards and one with an ethernet cord from tghe router directly into the computer in my basement. *SonicSam didnt get to problem yet... Anyways the problem is that when im using bittorrent all the internet gets slow. I mean super slow. Like its probably going to take 5 min to post this when im done writing it. So my question is why is our bandwith being so slow? It might be that my internet card is to far from the router but then again if i dont use bittornado my downloads from regular sites. This site as example it takes like 5 seconds to download MSG Plus. If thats not the reason then can someone help me?

PS: Sorry if its in wrong section. Didnt know if it went into this or Testing and Trashin.

Thanks In Advance,
Your Friendly Neighbour Totally Across The Planet From You,
SonicSam

RE: For All Those Bittorrent Users:I have a question. by Concord Dawn on 04-11-2005 at 11:45 PM

11Mbps is your network speed, your internet speed is almost certainly slower than this. Please tell us your internet speed.

RE: For All Those Bittorrent Users:I have a question. by wj on 04-11-2005 at 11:55 PM

FYI, Wi-fi (802.11b/a/g) uses a shared bandwidth model. So if you have three computers using an 802.11b base station, each has aprox 3.5mbps available to them.

RE: For All Those Bittorrent Users:I have a question. by prashker on 04-12-2005 at 12:08 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Chaotic_Shield
11Mbps is your network speed, your internet speed is almost certainly slower than this. Please tell us your internet speed.

1.6 megabits per second
I took a test here. http://bandwidthplace.com/speedtest/

EDIT: Just took one fromhere:www.broadbandreports.com and i got this

2005-04-11 20:14:00 EST: 1957 / 351
Your download speed : 2004895 bps, or 1957 kbps.
A 244.7 KB/sec transfer rate.
Your upload speed : 359712 bps, or 351 kbps.

quote:
Originally posted by wj
FYI, Wi-fi (802.11b/a/g) uses a shared bandwidth model. So if you have three computers using an 802.11b base station, each has aprox 3.5mbps available to them.

Oh ok thx for the info

RE: For All Those Bittorrent Users:I have a question. by rav0 on 04-12-2005 at 12:59 AM

your bit torrent is taking up all your upload bandwidth, not only with the bits of file being uploaded, but with the extra info being sent.

That is, computer says;
"Can you send me part 10203", Yep I got it fine", "What parts do you have?", "I have these parts", "OK, I'll send part 50243".

Try not to have too many torrents going at the same time. Due to the nature of bittorrent, having everything going together, will not improve your total download time, as opposed to HTTP downloads.

RE: For All Those Bittorrent Users:I have a question. by prashker on 04-12-2005 at 01:05 AM

quote:
Originally posted by rav0
your bit torrent is taking up all your upload bandwidth, not only with the bits of file being uploaded, but with the extra info being sent.

That is, computer says;
[i]"Can you send me part 10203", Yep I got it fine", "What parts do you have?", "I have these parts", "OK, I'll send part 50243".[i/]

Try not to have too amny torrents going at the same time. Due to the nature of bittorrent, having everything going together, will not improve your total download time, as opposed to HTTP downloads.

Ok I understand that.

Well then my other question is when WJ was talking about 11/3=3.5 is there a way u can like take bandwith from someone and transfer it to another computer like example.

Comp 1: 4.5MBPS
Comp 2: 2.5MBPS
Comp 3. 3.5MBPS
RE: For All Those Bittorrent Users:I have a question. by rav0 on 04-12-2005 at 01:19 AM

AFAIK, all bandwidth automatically shared around the users, and allocated back to whoever needs it when it is freed up by someone else.

There is a guide for Squid to limit bandwidth to users, links below.

| Squid | The Guide |

RE: For All Those Bittorrent Users:I have a question. by prashker on 04-12-2005 at 02:03 AM

quote:
AFAIK, all bandwidth automatically shared around the users, and allocated back to whoever needs it when it is freed up by someone else.

| Squid | The Guide |

:S I have no idea what i have to do. Any "Controling Internet bandwith For Dummies"?

RE: For All Those Bittorrent Users:I have a question. by Chestah on 04-12-2005 at 02:09 AM

Bascially if only one computer is using your network, then all the bandwidth will be available to it.

But if all three computers are trying to access it at the same time then it will be shared equally :)

RE: For All Those Bittorrent Users:I have a question. by lizard.boy on 04-12-2005 at 02:12 AM

the best option would be to use a wired internet connection with the computer that is download the torrents. i hated my wireless connection and ended up pulling cable through the cold air returns and the basement/attic of my house. i also used to find that streaming radio would cut out with wireless. i suppose if its your only choice, your  gonna have to live with it.

(please someone prove me wrong, learning experences are good)

RE: For All Those Bittorrent Users:I have a question. by prashker on 04-12-2005 at 02:37 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Chestah
Bascially if only one computer is using your network, then all the bandwidth will be available to it.

But if all three computers are trying to access it at the same time then it will be shared equally :)
So dang theres now way to do it:(

quote:
Originally posted by lizard.boy
the best option would be to use a wired internet connection with the computer that is download the torrents. i hated my wireless connection and ended up pulling cable through the cold air returns and the basement/attic of my house. i also used to find that streaming radio would cut out with wireless. i suppose if its your only choice, your  gonna have to live with it.

Dang that sucks. Maybe sometime i will buy my own internet connection. Then again that will be in like 10 years lol

RE: For All Those Bittorrent Users:I have a question. by Chestah on 04-12-2005 at 02:43 AM

Well wait up, i didn't say there was no possible way to do it :P, i'm not sure about that.

But if your torrenting and demanding the most bandwidth compared to your other computers in the network, then the torrenting computer will get that untill the other computers demand it. :P

Don't forget tho, that wireless technology is getting better. In the future it might be as good as a wired connections speed ;)

RE: For All Those Bittorrent Users:I have a question. by Concord Dawn on 04-12-2005 at 02:44 AM

quote:
Originally posted by lizard.boy

Doesn't for me. My BTs, P2P, and internet radio work fine. Could be your AP.
RE: RE: For All Those Bittorrent Users:I have a question. by rav0 on 04-12-2005 at 03:59 AM

quote:
Originally posted by SonicSam
quote:

| Squid | The Guide |

:S I have no idea what i have to do.
:SNeither do I [Image: google.gif]!

Keep in mind that that network bandwidth should be enough because your internet speed is probably less. If its not, your a lucky shit and I envy you so much:@!